Cedric Gervais – Tour mix & Q&A
Thu 5th Jul, 2012 ITM-FM 450 viewsin
French-born, Miami-based DJ/producer Cedric Gervais lands in Australia this weekend, following the release of his blockbuster hit Molly. To set the mood, hit play on this mix and read what he had to say to us.
Molly has been a big deal for you this year. I was recently in Las Vegas for Electric Daisy Carnival, and I heard multiple remixes as I walked around the festival. What’s the story behind the track, and did you expect it to take off like this?
I never thought it would have had the impact it has. When you go into the studio you go in with an idea of a track you want to do you don’t go in thinking I’m going to make a hit. I remember that I just wanted to write something that would work in the peaktime of my sets, then we played around with this quirky vocal. I played it out and it just tore the place apart. Then after the Miami Music Conference where we started the campaign everything just went crazy.
What’s been your response to criticism that the song, whether directly or indirectly, is ‘encouraging’ of drug use?
I’ve said the same thing from the very beginning, the track’s about a really hot girl. Go check out the video.
You’re a real fixture of the Miami club scene. Is Miami a party city all year round?
Pretty much, yes. It’s got the weather, the venues, the beach… it’s just an amazing city to party in. The cultural diversity affects everything from food to music to fashion – it’s just a really exciting place to live and visit. Obviously we have the Miami Music Conference in March which is always a highlight and it still surprises me as every year you don’t think it will get any bigger and yet it does.
Even outside of those two week, the club scene is really healthy. The clubs in Miami are just incredible and there is always something on. I have a residency at Liv which I believe is the best venue in the US. It’s just incredible and the level of production they do is insane, like nowhere else.
Tell us a bit about this tour you’re currently on (which of course includes Australia). Any highlights you’re predicting?
I’ve never been to Australia before and I can’t wait. My friends have been telling me about the cities, the venues, what to see, where to go, what I should eat. I’m going to try and do and see as much as I can in the short space of time I’m there, so if your readers have any suggestions please tweet me @CedricGervais – local knowledge is key when exploring a new country. The parties are going to be crazy. I’m excited to be playing to a new audience and I’m going to be playing a lot of new unreleased music which no one has heard before. It should be a lot of fun.
1. Katy Perry – Wide Awake (Cedric Gervais Remix) [Capitol Records]
2. Nari, Milani, Maurizio Gubellini – Up (Cristian Marchi Remix) [Cr2 Records]
3. Syke N Sugerstarr Ft. Jay Sebag – Like That Sound (Firebeatz Remix) [Spinnin Records]
4. Punish – Industrial Sound (Original Mix) [Spinnin Records]
5. Borgore – Decisions (Cedric Gervais Remix) [Buygore Records]
6. Mike Hawkins, Pablo Oliveros – Slump (Original Mix) [Spinnin Records]
7. Dave202 – Kolosseum (Original Mix) [S2 Records]
8. Cedric Gervais – Molly (Original Mix) [Spinnin Records]
9. Deniz Koyu – Bong (Original Mix) [Refune Records]
10. Disfunktion – Galette (Rene Kuppens Remix) [PinkStar Records]
11. Jerry Rekonius – Paranormal (Original Mix) [Spinnin Records]
12. ID – ID (Original Mix)
6th July – Marquee, Sydney
7th July – Alumbra, Melbourne
13th July – The Met, Brisbane
14th July – Platinum, Gold Coast