John Glover – Ministry Of Sound Classics Mix
Wed 5th Dec, 2012 ITM-FM 299 viewsin
Sydney man-about-town John Glover has enjoyed some prime residencies in his hometown over the years, and now he’s one of the regulars on the Pacha Sydney roster. Glover is set to welcome 2013 at the Ministry Of Sound Classics New Year’s Day party at ivy, and he’s put together this throwback mix to set the mood. We also asked the DJ some classics-themed questions.
What is the one record you’d guess you’ve played more times than any other?
Daft Punk’s Around the World. That bassline, that vocoder and those drums. It’s just such a jam.
And do you have a favourite feel good ‘one last tune’ classic for the end of the set?
Royksopp’s What Else Is There (Thin White Duke remix) is pretty damn special. I’ve closed many sets with that over the years. Also, Inner City’s Big Fun would be another, being that it’s my favourite house record of all time.
Since we’re talking classics, is there a particular stretch of time in dance music’s history that you consider a kind of ‘golden age’?
This one’s tough to answer. As much as I love the classics, there is still plenty of good music being made today. But I remember when Mylo’s Drop the Pressure came out around late 2004. This was pretty much at the start of the whole electro house thing, which had a great three to four year run. There was a heap of great tunes that came out during this time (note: there was lots of terrible releases as well as every producer was trying to jump on the bandwagon).
Do you think the age-old phrase ‘they don’t make them like they used to’ applies to dance music? Is there something more special and enduring about records made decades ago than tunes being made now?
Definitely. The production values may not have been what they are today, but the rawness of some of the older records can’t be touched. Anything that came out on Trax Records, Cajual Records and so on all just have the best grooves going on.
What’s the plan for your set at Classics on New Year’s Day?
I’m planning on playing all my favourite tunes from the last eight years that I’ve been a resident DJ at Kink, Famous, One Love, The Usual Suspects and now Pacha.
1. Cerrone – Je Suis Music (Armand Van Helden Mix) (Acapella)
2. Justice Vs Simian – Never Be Alone
3. Ignition – Love Is War
4. Flatback 4 – Nice Tight Derriere (Moloko Mix)
5. Basement Jaxx – Oh My Gosh (Knee Deep Club Mix)
6. Sidney Samson – Nobody Move
7. Paul Johnson – She Got Me On
8. Gadjo – So Many Times (Dub Mix)
9. Dirty Funker – This Is Dirty Funker
10. Axwell – Wait A Minute (Dubwell)
11. Mohito Ft. Howard Jones – Slip Away (Steve Angello mix)
12. Jess & Crabbe – Big Booya
13. The Lovefreekz – Shine
14. Dave McCullen – Bitch
15. Ramus Faber – Get Over Here (Axwell Mix)
16. Moguai – Sex Secret
17. Cerrone – Je Suis Music (Armand Van Helden Mix)
18. Sharam Jey – Feel Nobody
19. Studio B – I See Girls (Tom Neville Mix)
20. Ciara Vs The Drill – 1 2 Step (John Glover Mash-up)
21. Mousse T – Right About Now (Fuzzy Hair Mix)
22. Spektrum – Kinda New (Tiefschwarz remix)
23.Bodyrockers – I Like The Way Move
24. Sander Kleinenberg – The Fruit
25. Superfaktor – I Dont Care
26. Mylo – In My Arms (Tocadisco Remix)