Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post

From Wiki.....
Migration program outcomes have increased from 70,200 in 1999–00 to 168,685 in 2010–11.[5]
The Humanitarian program for 2011–12 is set at 13 750 places. This category includes a 12 per cent target for Woman at Risk visas. This allocation also includes Onshore Protection visas granted to people who apply for protection in Australia and are found to be refugees.[6] In 2010–11, a total of 13,799 visas were granted under the Humanitarian Program. A total of 5,998 visas were granted under the offshore component, including 759 Woman at Risk visas. In addition, 2,973 Special Humanitarian Program visas were granted to people outside Australia. A total of 4,828 visas were granted to people in Australia.[7] Australia resettles the third largest number of refugees of any country and more refugees, per capita, than any other nation in the world.............

back to me now...

for the whole of 2011-2012 we increased humanitarian allowance to 14,000 and yet 15,500 have arrived in the first half of 2013 alone. We now have to vet and place these people. People that had gone via countries that were not war torn and were perfectly safe for them to remain in. The major difference is that Australia potentially offers a better lifestyle for them.

Reports in the SMH last month showed that close to 95% of all illegal immigrants are still reliant on welfare after 5 years. For Immigrants allowed into Australia via government programs around a quarter receive government assistance and a large portion of those are not completely reliant on it.

One of the biggest social issues in Australia's history has centered on Lebanese muslims who came to Australia to do manufacturing jobs in the 1970's. Most had little or no English skills and the jobs they originally thought they could do disappeared as the manufacturing industry moved overseas.

High levels of unemployment, low education standards, difficulty assimilating into Australian society, feelings of alienation and resentment towards the majority of the people living in their adopted country (and vice versa). High levels of crime, attitudes towards the rights of women etc - the social issues that stemmed from this wave of immigration were endless and sadly remain to this day. This was from approximately 20,000 immigrants.

Why did I use this case and not say the Vietnamese or Greek or Italian etc waves of immigration? Well simply put, this group of people most closely represents the most recent wave of immigration. People from the Middle East with poor English skills, who remain reliant on welfare in the long term.

If you're going to accept people into Australia (and I believe we absolutely should) then we need to ensure that the people can be housed, fed, trained for employment to reduce reliance on welfare and provided proper support networks to ensure they become productive members of Australian society. We don't want to slam them in some ghetto, forcing them onto a life dependent of welfare and resentful towards Australia. It does them and us no good at all.

In order to do this immigration should be managed on our terms and no one elses. Telling people that arriving illegally will ensure they are never allowed in is bloody harsh, but unfortunately necessary.

Your views are exactly the same as mine, well said

The older I get, the more sympathetic and understanding I become about asylum seekers and the more I think that we should help if we can. However, you also need to be realistic when you look at it. Lambretta brings up good points about integration and the risk potential in the future if people are not processed properly. People need to assimilate, they can't just live in their own conclave in another country. I'm an immigrant, I know all too well how important retaining your culture is but also making sure you integrate well into your new country. Admittedly I'm a white male from a European background so it's probably a lot easier to do that in Australia but the principle is the same.

If I lived in Fairfield, only spoke Croatian, only hung out with other Croatians and refused to do anything Australian, what would be the point?
Likewise, if I completely forgot everything and became a 100% Aussie, that would also be a shame.
People need to find a middle ground when integrating, otherwise you end up with Lebanese situation that he mentioned.

When people are allowed to stay here and then are still on welfare after 5 years, surely that's a red flag isn't it? Whether it's them taking advantage or having some serious issue which prevents them from working and integrating doesn't really matter. What matters is that there is a problem and it needs to be addressed.