Quote:

Originally Posted by minimal_damage View Post

^^i dont think the S8 is a bad product, and i'll probably get one sooner or later. in fact i love NI products - i am huge fan and user of Traktor and have been for years. but the problem here is not the products NI have. i just cant see myself rocking up to a club with a ton of kit. the problem here is really the pragmatics of using these products in the club scene, regardless of how good they are. setting up a controller and laptop mid-set can be a pain, and yes it would be pain staking - maybe not the most painstaking thing ever, but annoying and inconvenient as hell nevertheless. the S4 has a big footprint. the S8 has even a bigger footprint. the only way i can see NI making inroads into the club scene with this controller is if they started either giving them away to established clubs to install or selling them to clubs at a heavily discounted price to those clubs, so they can have them pre-installed, pre-wired to the sound system and ready to go in the booth. pioneer had the strategy of plug and play down pat with the combination of rekordbox and cdjs. how often do you have to rock up to a club with your own cdjs and mixer? like never right? you just rock up with your tunes. no fuss, just plug and play. changeovers easily done. that said, i think where the S8 could potentially dominate and start becoming a standard is in the mobile dj/house party scene. i'd easily take one of these over a mixer and 2 cdjs to a party.

Yeah I feel ya.. sometimes if it's a simple 1 hour gig all I feel like doing is plugging in the USB's & getting started rather than lugging around everything.. I think it won't happen anytime soon the idea of having these controllers inside clubs but who knows what will come out in 5 years or so..

Either way I like bringing in my S4 to gigs & its only a small inconvenience for me to setup but atleast I know my gear works unlike some places where you get all sort of dodgey equipment.
Hip Hop | House | Re-Edits

http://soundcloud.com/kid-deep