Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

the far right youth rarely make big changes in the political landscape, unless it's to bring the masses back to the middle by their extreme actions/rhetoric. Actually same goes for the far-left youth.

Yeah, that's why I'm surprised the Pirate Party doesn't ever get a mention in our media. They are actually taking votes from pretty much all the parties at the moment, in polls pull about 13% of the national vote and 33% of Germans polled say they are seriously considering voting for them.

They've had their fair share of teething problems many caused by their meteoric rise from nothing (in the Berlin vote for instance - which works similarly to our senate elections - they won enough of the vote to win 15 seats in the Buunderstaag. They only had 15 people registered so if they had won any more of the vote they would have had to concede seats to other parties.

They were then roundly criticised by the other parties for the lack of diversity in their candidates (nearly all young white guys).

They also have a problem with members making comments comparing the rise of the PP to the rise of the Nazi's. The other parties have been using this as a football to claim the party is open to subversion by neo-nazis but it probably just goes to show that most of the other parties don't understand Godwin's Law.

They actually discuss all their policy online in a streamed conversation called Liquid Feedback, which is also causing some teething problems while at the same time changing the face of politics forever if it succeeds. Basically anyone in the party is capable of talking about issues and policy there and then every member of the party is able to vote on the issue. Forget yearly caucus meetings. Forget delegates or proxy votes. If you don't like the parties policy on an issue you can get online right now and call for a change and the change can get voted on if you get enough support for the new policy.

Of course factions are already forming in their online discussions and people with ready access to computers will have more say in party policy than those who don't. And being the internet letting people raise any issue can lead to a lot of static in their discussions (One member is currently seriously proposing that all euro-zone countries reintroduce their old currencies, but without abolishing the euro.)

They have also started drawing criticism from artists who are worried about their incomes if the PP's plans at reforming copyright laws goes ahead.

So I'm not sure how well it will hold together but I just find it disappointing that if I didn't go read the Spiegel for my news on Europe I'd never have heard of them. Certianly the concept is interesting.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.