Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech View Post

Forget all the monitors mentioned.

You're already forgetting the 3 other references to K8s already in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech View Post

QSC K8 powered speakers are the go. Incredibly flat frequency response and perform better than so-called referenced monitors,

I referenced them directly to some bookshelf size Genelecs and couldn't fault them.

I've not heard the K8s, however, I'm enjoying listening to K10s over Mackie HR824s at home at the moment, with the K10s remarkable clarity at low levels (which many PA type speakers struggle to do).

And on the topic of the smaller driver-size of the K8s (same size as the HR824s), I've head the HR824s playing in a couple of bowling/football club type venues (yeah, totally not what they were designed for), and their output was actually quite remarkable. Therefore, I've no doubt the K8s are significant step up with 4x the amplification per box and fan cooling (with the limiter and thermal shut downs becoming the biggest barrier against the HR824s being a reliable party speaker (and never mind the sun hammered the wrap on one of mine for a New Years Day house party out in the sun).

In fact, I'd have seriously considered the K8s except they don't have the enclosure shape and skids to allow them to act as floor foldbacks (though someone on the 'net has shown sticking a bolt into one of the mounting anchor points on the back will allow then to lean back at an angle propped up against the ground by the bolt).

I've read reports of people using the K8s with a K-SUB for wedding type gigs with much success. While not as loud as the K10 or bigger models at maximum SPL, they'll absolutely hold their own when the 100Hz sub-mode is engaged at reasonably loud SPLs. And some may appreciate the even wider 105degree room dispersion, especially in cramped / small rooms. Just be sure to pole mount them to get the horns above people's heads, or they're gonna sound dull like any speaker as a room fills with people.

Now waits for the woes that they're not $499 a pair...