The DJ Booth

My First Setup Advice?

Tools
jova +

eh?

Times thanked
<
My First Setup Advice?
Hi guys, YEAH my first post on these forums !

I've been frothing at the thought of owning a cd deck setup for the past 4 months but my main problem has been le cash. I've finally come into some monies and will be looking to buy this equipment sometime soon.

I've done some research online and was pretty commited to buying the Pioneer CDJ200's and the Pioneer DJM-400 that supposedly works great with them. I saw all the tips and tricks video tutorials on the pioneerprodj website and was impressed at all the effects and loops this 'beginner' setup offers. Then i searched for a package deal and found it for some rediculous price of $2900 (including headphones). I thought that was WAY too much for the standard pack, but then again i know crap all about DJ'ing equipment at the moment.
Then i was readin through some topics on this forum and heard that i could get the CDJ800's mkII for $1100 each brand new?

As a beginner i know i should start with the basics, but i have such a strong passion for trance music that i know i'll want something that will last 2-3 years and still provide new options for me as i learn new skills, rather than limit me and force me to upgrade later on.

I'm really considering saving up that extra bit and getting the 800's. I'll still probably get the DJM-400 to start with as it looks like it has everything i'll need, and i can upgrade this part on its own if i feel the need.

Would you guys recommend i spend the extra bit for the 800's mkII. I've heard they feel alot better than the 100's and 200's, with the bigger job wheel. Also any advice on where to buy it or what to look for, or a totally different setup to what i've mentioned etc.... would be greatly appreciated. Some of my mates have Vinyl Decks and they're not too knowledgable about the CDJ world.

Thanks heaps guys, DJ BELOW AVERAGE comin at ya in 2007 !
kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
Have you considered gettin second hand gear...??
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
ummm.... if you can't afford the pioneer CDJ200's, then why are you asking if it's worth it to spend M O R E and get the CDJ800's

start ringing DJ stores. there's a tonne in melbourne that will beat the $2900 asking price.

if you're strugling to come up with the cash sacrifice on the mixer, not the players.
step on my cubes.
djmarc +

Times thanked
<
New Pioneer CDJ 800's $1050 at JB Hi Fi Bondi. Thats the best i could get him to offer me. Im now thinking about going for the 1000s tho.

I'd say go for the best you can get, if you can put it off for a few more weeks/months, then go for the 800s cuz if you dont, in a few months you'll have mastered the 200s and you'll be wanting the 800s.
DSILVR +

Times thanked
<
Trust me man, i have got 1000's there not THAT good i would go 800s save the extra coin and use that on the mixer. 800s still have quite a good amount of features on them some features that the 1000s don't have.

Have you considered?

Buying your CDJ 200s and if you still have some coin buy a turntable to get the best out of both worlds. If your going to be mixing trance theres nothing flash you will want to do with the 800s or 1000s like hot cues and stuff really isnt for the genre of trance. Only cool thing is vinyl mode.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
get the 800s and a numark dxm06 can be done for $2500

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

jova +

eh?

Times thanked
<
Cool thanks for the info guys. Yeah $2500 isn't bad for a package like that, i'll save up for the next 2 months and i'll be much happier i got a better setup rather than buyin the cheaper option. I've thought about turntables and would love to play on them but i don't have enough of a steady income to be able to afford vinyls. They're like $16 a track. But i'll invite my mates over who have turntables and tell them to bring their equipment and vinyl collections so i could have a play around on it, mix'n'match on CD and Vinyl should b fun.

Yeah true there aint that much i'd have to muck around with when playin trance but it'd b cool to have those extra options when i feel like throwin on some Rap and hittin it gangsta style Cheers guys

« Previous Thread Next Thread »