The DJ Booth

should i buy the technics SH-MZ1200 ?(at the right price)

Tools
sguerrera +

Times thanked
<
should i buy the technics SH-MZ1200 ?(at the right price)
i got a mate that wants to sell his SH-MZ1200 for 500 bux. do ya rekon i should grab it and spend some good dollars on a fx unit or should i not even bother.
sguerrera +

Times thanked
<
i have a dxm 06 at the moment and i was wanting something with effects.

i know most of u guys will tell me to get a djm 800 or a xone92, but if i buy the mixer for 500 and grab a efx1000 or a kaoss pad3 will i still b able to do everything a an djm 800 or a xon92 can do???
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
Well effects wise yes, but you cant expect to pay $500 and get quality that is even close to a xone or a pio. Personally I have never seen one of these mixers in a club as pio/xone are the standard, that should tell you something right there. Really depends on what you want to do with it, if u wanna just dick around at home then it will probably be fine. But you gotta ask urself why is this guy sellin a $1200 mixer for $500 Technics for me has been very disappointing in their cd/mixer products, they really should just stick with makin woot they know. I mean god they cant give away their cd players!
Mixes here Poundmix
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

as pio/xone are the standard, that should tell you something right there.

rubbish. there's tonnes of great mixers that aren't installed in clubs. Ecler, rane, vestax are all great brands you NEVER see installed.

where does that also leave the DJM600?
step on my cubes.
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
bracko he was comparing the pio/xone to this technics. I wasnt sayin that they are the only 2 great mixers. I agree with the vestax/ecler/nuo thing and I have a vestax myself but he was askin for a comparison between the technics/pio/xone........didnt u take ur happy pill 2day?
Mixes here Poundmix
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
i was forced to go to empire last night and drink terrible beer and listen to even worse music at 4am.

you tell me ^__^
step on my cubes.
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
thought u didnt go out much? ah well u can vent ur fury on me if u want
Mixes here Poundmix
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<
I've seen more Ecler desks than any other in club installs.

not many rane or vestax tho... just heaps of Ecler (usually the MAC series)
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
Yeah well down here in melbs djm-600 or xone-62. Would be nice to see some ecler mixers as I find the pio too busy and dont like the channel faders on the 62. Xone 92 is sweet much better layout than the 62 and the faders come in better. I am not a fan of effects, used sparingly they sound ok but u get these farkin dj's who use em all the time, cant farkin mix but think they are good cause they can turn a knob stupid fukers! Now that I really think about it I am totally anti effects, if ur tunes and mixin aint good enough to pack the floor then u got shit taste in music and u should practice ur mixin...takes NO TALENT to turn a knob on a filter!
Mixes here Poundmix
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
yeah, but the punters love it..... *shrugs*

i still get out every now and then

and I'm talking about DJ mixers, most DJ's wouldn't even know what a live mixing desk is, let alone be influenced by what is out there. it's all about tiesto or some shit.
step on my cubes.
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
Geez man u must have had a shit night. I think most wannabe dj's are influenced by whats popular and that means pio/xone mixers, pio cdj's and technics turntables. Fukin sad really as progressive as dance music is most ppl who play it stick with the same tired old gear. Not that the above gear doesnt do the job, it's just that there are so many options out there that are just as good or even better.
Mixes here Poundmix
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj oldfart

I am not a fan of effects, used sparingly they sound ok but u get these farkin dj's who use em all the time, cant farkin mix but think they are good cause they can turn a knob stupid fukers! Now that I really think about it I am totally anti effects, if ur tunes and mixin aint good enough to pack the floor then u got shit taste in music and u should practice ur mixin...takes NO TALENT to turn a knob on a filter!

You don't have to like them, but the rest of what you're saying is world class bullshit.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I think most wannabe dj's are influenced by whats popular and that means pio/xone mixers, pio cdj's and technics turntables. Fukin sad really as progressive as dance music is most ppl who play it stick with the same tired old gear. Not that the above gear doesnt do the job, it's just that there are so many options out there that are just as good or even better.

Fuck you really don't like the thought of anyone else getting in the dj thing do you? duckboy?
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
Ah fuk it couldnt be bothered starting an arguement, isnt it ok that I dislike effects? What would you prefer someone that can put tracks together or someone that cant mix and just plays with the filter all nite? That is my point aspiring dj's should learn the basics 1st in my opinion and when I last checked I was allowed to have one. I wasnt having a go at this guy I was having a go at effects. I apologise if it came across as me havin a go at him. There we happpy now? all lovey dovey n shit Ah yes forgot u are a producer which helps me understand u bein pissed about the whole twidling knobs doesnt take talent thing, sorry man I wasnt refering to producers...
Mixes here Poundmix

Last edited by dj oldfart: 10-Mar-07 at 10:36pm

Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Haha, not trying to fight either. Just an observation that there's a good middle ground between dry mixes and major fx overload. Luke, the DJ i work with uses fx quite a lot and to damn great use to boot. They really extend the sound and allow a lot more control over the dynamics and flow of the music. More than just 1 beat fx drop tricks. for djs that is. and i ain't much of one of them.
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
Yeah man, I just get a bit pissed off as I heard a dj last weekend he was playing dated cheesy shite, fuked up every mix and every 30 secs was on the bloody phaser! Kinda gave me a anti-effects complex I just know how much effort it takes to make a good tune and I feel like I am insulting a producers work by using dj mixer effects on it. As the name suggests I am an oldfart and I grew up in the biz without all this stuff and I guess I am kinda set in my ways. Dunno I just look at a lot of the "big name" dj's and I dont see them using a lot of it.....maybe I am old and just past it.......HEY WHY ISNT THERE AN SMILIE THAT LOOKS LIKE AN OLD MAN IN A WHEELCHAIR!.....That would suit me Anyway dude no hard feelins u should pop down 2 lustre lounge on thurs or fri and I 'll shout you sum drinkies or if ur in the neighbourhood I am on at tilt from 3-5am on saturday. U can come down and yell at me...WHERE'S THE EFFECTS YOU OLDFART! Seriously ppl I never mean any malice, this is just a forum and I sometimes just type the senile shit thats in my head! Except of course when I actually know you and you have done stuff 2 seriously piss me and my friends off....aka...mr duckboy
Mixes here Poundmix
davidsound +

Times thanked
<
No! don't do it! actually it depends if you want to spend that much. if you can afford it, go for it!
sguerrera +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Well effects wise yes, but you cant expect to pay $500 and get quality that is even close to a xone or a pio. Personally I have never seen one of these mixers in a club as pio/xone are the standard, that should tell you something right there. Really depends on what you want to do with it, if u wanna just dick around at home then it will probably be fine. But you gotta ask urself why is this guy sellin a $1200 mixer for $500 Technics for me has been very disappointing in their cd/mixer products, they really should just stick with makin woot they know. I mean god they cant give away their cd players!

he is only selling the mixer because he bought himself a djm 800. Also you're comments about fx is complete bullcrap aswell. can u please mention to me one dj plays a complete set just playing with the filter. wake up to yourself. if the music sounds good with effects , Do it! you're comments on people using the "same old gear" are some of the most retarded things i have ever heard. can u please stop writing in forums so people stop feeling so stupid when reading the things that u have to say.

anyways back to the original topic. I thought that this would b a good buy as the mixer is only about a year old and is in mint condition. the price sounds good but I don't know how much these mixers go for 2nd hand.
Marky +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Buy it for $500. Sell it for $650. Use that to put towards buying a better mixer.
hit me up on the cloud: http://soundcloud.com/marcus-murky
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
Yes I am retarded for voicing my opinion.......yes buy the $1200 it is gonna be as good as a $2500 xone
Mixes here Poundmix
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by sguerrera

he is only selling the mixer because he bought himself a djm 800. Also you're comments about fx is complete bullcrap aswell. can u please mention to me one dj plays a complete set just playing with the filter. wake up to yourself. if the music sounds good with effects , Do it! you're comments on people using the "same old gear" are some of the most retarded things i have ever heard. can u please stop writing in forums so people stop feeling so stupid when reading the things that u have to say.

anyways back to the original topic. I thought that this would b a good buy as the mixer is only about a year old and is in mint condition. the price sounds good but I don't know how much these mixers go for 2nd hand.

going through the DJM 600's heyday i can see where he is coming from.... flange filter and reverb did and still does get thrashed to the shit.

the only piece of advice is to look at the send-return functionality on the mixer, the volumes and what happens when you use the effects. it's down to personal opinion, but some mixers "add" the effect, while other mixers re-route the whole sound through the effects unit thus your only control is the wet/dry on the effects unit.

i prefer the earlier, some (probably most) prefer the latter.
step on my cubes.

Last edited by Bracko: 11-Mar-07 at 06:37pm

DSILVR +

Times thanked
<
Really a mixer comes down to personal preference and what you can afford man. If you can afford a 2500 dollar mixer, fuck oath go buy it mate.

Also Oldfart, i do agree with the effects point of view but it does all depend on the genre of music and shit. But yeah i hate effect sluts, and what you were describing reminds me of most of the little kiddy DJs my age. They think there a DJ cos there mummy brought them some CDJs. Truth is they cant hold a beat for 20 seconds. Not to mention how much they whore the effects. Shits me up the wall.

Back to the mixer.......

Pretty much get whatever gets you wet. I don't care i am sick of people comming in forums asking same shit i used to do it i don't really anymore. Go do some research, find out what you WANT or NEED and..... buy it YAY!

Also, sguerrera. Go easy, we all have opinions.
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
Yeah I think he is thinkin I am having a go at him personally and that isnt the case. I dont know the dj's names, but the basic point I am tryin to get across is effects are best when u cant even tell they are being used. Most times they are over used is in little teeny bopper nightclubs where they only wanna hear flaunt it, for the melbourne folks places like fukin frostbites. U know those places where barely 18 year olds go to get pissed pick up tarts and punch on etc.
Mixes here Poundmix
DSILVR +

Times thanked
<
Lol, i know exactly.

Half the skanks in my school goes to places like that, think there sooo cool. "omg chasers was rockin' last nite" shit like that on there msn names
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
<
From agnelli and nelson's blog re Technics CD player...

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...98DBDE28773132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

plan-b +

Times thanked
<
and I just realised you were talking about the mixer and not the CDJ

played on one once, not a bad mixer... only issue was there's no separate monitor volume (from memory)

Quote:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
anyone who complains about a CD player has serious issues....

play, pitch, pause. how hard is it, really

anywho... back to mixers.
step on my cubes.
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

anyone who complains about a CD player has serious issues....

play, pitch, pause. how hard is it, really

anywho... back to mixers.

that's like saying anyone who complains about belt drive turntables has serious issues...

Quote:

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
sure, in a black and white world, i guess anything is possible

if they're bitching and moaning about the technics units, imagine if they found a denon rack mount

oh the humanity

stop, start, pitch.
step on my cubes.
sguerrera +

Times thanked
<
I ended up getting my technics mixer today. I am heaps happy with it aswell. its a real smooth piece of work. the sound quality is pretty sweet aswell.
all i need is a sweet as little effects unit. I was playing with the kaoss pad 3 today and that little puppy got me a bit excited
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
Nuthin wrong with denon rackmount
Mixes here Poundmix
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<
25/2600f... ahh, those were the days huh oldfart?

One of those early model denons had a great pitch adj function - you could easily change the key of a track to suit a mix.

Haven't found one since that was as easy to use
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
one of the clubs i play at still has one, works a treat!
Mixes here Poundmix
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
don't get me wrong, I love denon rack mounts.... oh so bullet proof
step on my cubes.
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
I think this whole cdj thing is rather silly as most djs i know dont use the vinyl emulation anyway so using the jog as a pitch bend u may as well be using buttons aka the rackmount. I find rackmounts easier to use, yeah u cant scratch or do tricks on them but how many house dj's do either of those things?
Mixes here Poundmix

« Previous Thread Next Thread »