The DJ Booth

Making a demo

Tools
kurtisthomas +

Times thanked
<
Making a demo
I've been DJ'n for a bit with a mate and we've decided its time we start to get some gigs at clubs, however ofcoarse you've gotta make a demo.
We've made a few demo's where we've done basically straight mixing of the latest electro tunes, but is that all thats required.
I heard Table Trash just made his own track and used that as a demo.
Should we be including Samples and lots of progressive changes.
Help would be very appreciated.

Thanks Kurt
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
I know I am probably gonna get some arguements here but demos are basically a waste of time. It's not what you know but who you know, get 2 know local promoters/managers/dj's/producers etc. No matter how good ur demo is there are a lot of dj's out there and just cause u can mix u will have no chance of getting work. You must network, perhaps find a venue that you like and organise a party there. Unfortunately in this industry sometimes the most shit ppl rise to the top only cause they are good at talking to ppl, but unfortunately that is what it takes..
Mixes here Poundmix
Lukey +

Puke

Times thanked
<
i tend to agree

unless your a shit hot dj, a demo cd wont do too much if you havent at least met the promoters and established some sort of repor with them. make yourself known to them and keep showing up to their gigs.

and presents, give them presents. expensive ones, lots of drugs too
something
kurtisthomas +

Times thanked
<
yeah thanks guys.
Ive kinda established some knowing with all the promoters im sending demo's too. Like Ive sent emails to them and spoken about my groups genre and stuff like that.
We're sending demo's for
Paris Cartel at Moulin (sunday night)
World Bar
The Roxy
and probably mylk soon too
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
chat to other DJ's that are playing for said promoter as well, it helps if you've got LOTS of mates that are going clubbing as well, make sure the promoter sees your 20 odd friends, a DJt hat brings in lots of punters is more worthwhile as a warmup DJ than a better DJ that brings his girlfriend

as for a demo. make the first 5 min interesting, it's probably all they'll listen to.
step on my cubes.
dj oldfart +

Times thanked
<
Well best of luck mate, its a long hard road but most of the time it is worth it. If you do get constantly knocked back don't loose heart as it can take a long time to get your 1st gig. Persistance, talent and networking will get you there.
Mixes here Poundmix

« Previous Thread Next Thread »