The DJ Booth

Mixing Software

Tools
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
Mixing Software
im posting this here because i want to ask the heads of any good software and software they might use or have used rather than MP&T's because they can get a bit serious sometimes!

anyway, i have moved to japan and left my decks at home in oz and i am stinging for a mix but dont have the cash to fork out for decks, so i wanted some advice on some software i could use as a substitute. also i wanted to maybe do edit and stuff aswell.

i know pro tools was big a few years ago but havent heard much about it of late. heard more hype about abelton, serato, etc. but i am not quite sure what they are. i also saw an add for mixmeister on traxsource and it looked pretty good. oh and by the way, i have a mac.

so the question is what software have you used, what have you heard about and what would you personally recommend. cheers!
I'll be back...
OllieBrooke +

Futurist

Times thanked
<
Adobe Audition, no frills but good if you've not got decks!
http://www.purehousemusic.net/
spice_of_life +

what the fuck is this shit?

Times thanked
<
for proper mixing and a skin that makes it look like CDJ1000's ..

MyXoft DSS DJ
NE1 GOT NE P1LL5!
DjLuVvY +

Times thanked
<
mixmeister is not very useful for live mixing. also it doesn't have an intuitive interface for djing like say PCDJ or like the one spice_of_life pointed out.
www.djluvvy.net
OllieBrooke +

Futurist

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjLuVvY

like the one spice_of_life pointed out.

He prefers to be called by his real name "Julia" Actually, Julia, why is there a pic of a blob-stopper as your avatar, bit tasteless don't you think?
DjLuVvY +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieBrooke

He prefers to be called by his real name "Julia" Actually, Julia, why is there a pic of a blob-stopper as your avatar, bit tasteless don't you think?

if i didn't know any better i would have started getting ideas
www.djluvvy.net
OllieBrooke +

Futurist

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjLuVvY

if i didn't know any better i would have started getting ideas

What sort of ideas you kinky boy!?
spice_of_life +

Times thanked
<
hahaha, now now, luvvy's a married man!
NE1 GOT NE P1LL5!
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
i'm suprised traktor 3 hasn't been mentioned yet

been using it for ages with final scratch and it's great.

got the nice two-deck setup with the option of 4 virtual decks and also the mixer and effects (i might be making the effects bit up) have been taken and emulated from some xone mixer to the standard that xone was happy enough to put their name to it, which i guess says a lot, however i'm sure if i gave xone money i could put their name to a new line of undies, but alas i digress.

here is a link to traktor - http://www.nativeinstruments.de/inde...tor_us&flash=7

Pretty sweet.

I've also got a couple of midi devices and i use a trigger finger to control the effects section of the software which makes me happy in a few places.

*pushes some buttons and turns some knobs*

I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a midi device of some variety. They're cheap, and really do allow you to get the most out of the software (what a totally wanky sentence sorry)

Hope this helps
MadMike +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,467 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblore

im posting this here because i want to ask the heads of any good software and software they might use or have used rather than MP&T's because they can get a bit serious sometimes!

Just because you're scared, doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Thread moved.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|
cruisysloth +

Living the dream..

Times thanked
<
i've got traktor 3 but i think i need 2 sound cards so one source plays out of the headphones and one out of the stereo. how do i check if my new laptop has 2 sound cards or not?
Living the dream...
spice_of_life +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMike

Just because you're scared, doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Thread moved.

what's that? you don't use hardware? pffft outta my face, n00b! p.s. DJing is for little girls! real men use hardware!

NE1 GOT NE P1LL5!
mungo +

Technician Extraordinaire

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisysloth

i've got traktor 3 but i think i need 2 sound cards so one source plays out of the headphones and one out of the stereo. how do i check if my new laptop has 2 sound cards or not?

We can tell you right now it doesnt have 2 sound cards.

cruisysloth +

Living the dream..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mungo

We can tell you right now it doesnt have 2 sound cards.

Can you put two in a laptop?

I'm guessing I need two to use Traktor to play music out of headphones and different song on the other channel out of the speakers?
Living the dream...
mungo +

Times thanked
<
Search Noob!

OllieBrooke +

Futurist

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisysloth

Can you put two in a laptop?

I'm guessing I need two to use Traktor to play music out of headphones and different song on the other channel out of the speakers?

The previous post is a good example of why the topic was originally started in another forum!
You should buy an external soundcard with dual ins and outs, there's quite a few available and they're not that expensive. You'd be better of to go the whole hog and get a BCD 2000 or similar, http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=889
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
my sentiments exaclty ollie, i knew this would happen. ask a simple question, dont get a simple question, get flamed!

thanks for the options, ill check traktor out and see what its like. if you have any other suggestions let me know. what about doing simple edits? just rearranging a song but cutting it up and moving it or pasting or something. i use audacity but it takes forever!
I'll be back...
mungo +

Times thanked
<
ffs, these questions get asked over and over again, if you cant be bothered to look through the information why should you expect any help?

gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
if you dont wanna help then dont say anything at all. its that easy. i think it was a valid question, it was on the topic and could help a range of people. if you know the answer and are sick of answering then leave it for someone else to answer.
I'll be back...
mungo +

Times thanked
<
Is my car dual fuel?

Same league of question as teh sloth posted.

And if the same answers get posted over and over the forum gets clogged up with useless threads repeating the same thing over and over diluting the useful and interesting threads.

Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Mango, break the habit dude. it's tired. and makes you out as a fucking knob. which sometime's you're actually not. sometimes.

gamblore - listen to the peeps. Start checking out soundcards which will give you 4 outs (2 stereo) or a separate headphone out.

Check the Behringer BCD - it's got some basic DJ software with it and the full interface experience.
If you wanna keep it real mouse-style check for soundcards that come with traktor, NI Audio Kontrol 1 has a soundcard/software bundle.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

diluting the useful and interesting threads.

Nothing like the flood of gospel comes outta your keyboard!
OllieBrooke +

Futurist

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Is my car dual fuel?

Same league of question as teh sloth posted.

And if the same answers get posted over and over the forum gets clogged up with useless threads repeating the same thing over and over diluting the useful and interesting threads.

WTF do you give a shit about the forum getting clogged up? And how are they useless, perhaps it's duplicate information but technology continues to evolve, what with the BCD 3000 due in may, so restarting topics like this are a good way of getting fresh information.
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
thanks pro tool, ill check it out. it is beginning to get a lot more expensive than i first anticipated but i guess i dont have a choice. i had a play with the traktor demo today and ill definately need midi controls, the mouse just wasnt cutting it.

mungo, the sloth asked a question within a thread, he didnt start a new thread, so its not exactly clogging shit up. if you dont want to clog stuff up, dont reply.
I'll be back...
TelixElectro +

Times thanked
<
Hey Gamblore,

Very timely post mate :-) I've just been asking myself the same question - been spending cash probably for the last year on and off on hardware synths (bought and sold a few on ebay, finally have THAT setup 'sorted' for the moment with an Alpha Juno and an X-Station, the latter after many recommendations from peeps on this forum), so the prospect of forking out MORE cash for a set of CD-J's/TT's and a mixer is NOT something I wanted to do right now. Like any former Mobydisc DJ returning to the fold at 30 (hehe), I still wanna be able to mix though

So I decided to go the software route. Obviously with money being a factor as I just mentioned, I didn't really wanna go the Traktor/Final Scratch option either. Now there are SHITLOADS of cheap'n'nasty 'DJ' apps out there which claim to turn even the greenest n00b into Carl Cox, but take it from me, the majority are utter crap. Monitoring/cuing on most through headphones is a mixed bag, sound quality ditto, external controller support tends to be non-existent or generally limited to the (aging) Hercules USB console, and even the basics like application stability (i.e. avoiding the dreaded BSOD while you're in the middle of a set) are something the majority of the 'budget' options stuggle with.

Speaking of budget, I think the WORST thing I've found out, in addition to the above flaws, is that for a lot of these altogether shitty apps, the price difference between them and the 'proffesional' offerings isn't that huge. What's a boy to do, eh ?

For a while, it seemed to me the best option was a little Opensource application called Mixxx.

http://mixxx.sourceforge.net/

This runs on Linux, Windows (XP/Vista) and OSX. It has a pretty basic set of features, but seems to do what it does well. Two 'decks', playlist management, crossfader, very basic effects, headphone cuing/monitoring (one or multiple soundcards), limited 'scratch' of of waveforms, dual waveform display for every track (total plus zoomed/jog position view), pitch adjustment, auto beat synch (although this is still pretty hit-and-miss, even in the latest stable builds), Hercules console support (plus some poorly documented midi support for other controllers - didn't delve into that too much though).

Being open-source, the purchase price is fantastic - totally FREE Essentially, it does everything I'd seen the other 'cheap' apps do (until recently), and indeed better than some of them, whilst being GENERALLY stable. Sure - it can still crash if you have too many other apps running ... but I think having Outlook, Messenger, about 3 or 4 tabs in IE, Photoshop, Flash MX 2004 and Excel open all at the same time is not something you'll generally do while you're actually playing a party ... just when you're 'testing' the software during a 'quite(er)' time at work

So - there's that option.

Now, here's something else I only found this week, and already I'm hooked.

http://www.djdecks.be/

Does everything Mixxx does, but it's more stable (i.e. doesn't crash, even with my usual 50 million other running apps). Supports 3 'decks' currently, with the likelihood the developer will be adding 4 decks in the next version (just like Traktor 3 - and @ 3 'decks' it already has one more than Traktor 3 LE). It has a much better 'scratch' mode, 4 selectable cross-fader curves (as opposed to the single preset one in Mixxx), and a really NICE set of onboard effects.

Get this - it also has slots for two independent VST effects per deck !!! I'm not sure even Traktor does this ! Also, it has extensive support for external controllers - the Hercules of course, the Behringer BCD-2000, plus pretty much ANY midi controller through mapping/learn mode (a couple of guys on their forums use the Novation ReMOTE's, I'm looking to map it to my X-Station). The midi support is also very well documented, which is a definite bonus over Mixxx.

One other HUGE plus of this software versus ANY of the other 'cheaper' offerings is that it supports pretty much all the 'time code control' vinyl formats (FinalScratch, SLL, MsPinky, among others) !!! Which means if you ever decide to fork out for a TT again, and get your hands on a control vinyl, you can happily skip mouse / controller based scratching altogether.

The two 'downsides' are (1) DJ Decks costs 38 euro (about 68 bucks aussie, in other words) and (2) it only runs on Windows (so bad luck if you're on Mac or Linux).

When you consider the features though, for me these are definitely not 'issues', which is why I'LL be forking out 38 euro for the full license (demo times out after half an hour of play).

I was actually considering buying the BCD-3000 when it comes out in a few weeks ($300 from DJ Warehouse, I've been reliably told) coz it ships with Traktor 3 LE, but after finding this software instead I've decided against it, since I can happily control the latter with my X-Station. So I've already saved myself 300 bucks basically
Marky +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
gamblore - the world of digital dhing is getting much blurred, what with vinyl/CD emulation software and Ableton Live.

If you are keen on mixing your digital files in a manner that is similar to a standard decks & mixer arrangmeent, then definitely look into all the suggestions above.

Ableton Live (www.ableton.com) doesn't quite work in the same way. You warp your tracks first, so they remain locked into a master tempo. Effectively this removes the need to ever tempo/beat-mix again. Some people feel that's cheating, but to others this frees you up to work on looping, structures, effecting and on-the-fly remixing. The best bit about Ableton Live is it also acts as a Digital Audio Workstation (a la Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, etc). Once you are familiar with how Live works, it is really amazingly easy to make your own mashups and remixes. You can then bounce that down and then use it in your "DJ sets". One program that is your DJing app, your composing/remixing app, and a live performance app, all rolled into one. It's pretty awesome. And the tutorials are really easy to follow.

But you might simply prefer the hands on beat-mixing thing.

So my suggesstion would be that you download a demo of each of these spplications and give them a go, and then make some decisions.

Either way, I think you are going to need some kind of audio interface that comes with 2 stereo (4 channels) of output, one stereo pair for the master signal, and one stereo pair for the headphones. A simple and relatively cheap entry point here is the Echo Indigo DJ pcmcia card.
hit me up on the cloud: http://soundcloud.com/marcus-murky

« Previous Thread Next Thread »