Please read THIS THREAD before posting.

Closed thread
  Tools
phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
<
Please read THIS THREAD before posting.
Welcome to ITM's Music Production & Technology forum.

Got a question? Great! But wait, don't post yet!

Have you first...

1. Browsed the first couple of pages of this forum to see if a thread related to your question has been posted recently?

2. Looked at the sticky threads at the top of the forum, including the infinitely useful, useful threads thread?

3. Spent at least a few good minutes using the search function? It's right up there in the USERS TOOLS drop down box. Make sure you try different search terms. You can restrict the search to subforums too, which is useful. You can also use GOOGLE and add site:www.inthemix.com.au/forum after your search term to show results from this forum only.

4. Used google anyway. There's a heap of really basic shit that gets asked all the time that could be found from simply searching for a minute or two on google.

After all that, if you honestly cannot find an answer to your problem, go ahead and post!

--

DO NOT ASK COMPUTER QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM

This is the Music Production and Technology forum. It is for discussion about Music Production, technology associated with it, and also DJ technology and technique.

Questions and discussion about computers do not belong here. Instead please use the Gaming and Computers forum.

It is not the place to ask computer-related questions like:

• What program do I use to resize JPGs?
  • How do I install a new hard drive?
  • Help, I am a retard and lost my files, how do I get them back?
  • What bitrate is best for ripping MP3s?
  • Anything to do with iPods and media players.

Although it would be fine to talk about computer questions that relate to Music Production tasks such as...

• Is AMD or Intel better for Music Production?
  • Backup solutions for audio and music projects
  • Laptop reccomendations for Serato

Just remember... If your question pertains to computers, DOES IT specifically involve Music Production? If so, post it. If not, see if it is more suited to the Gaming and Computers forum.

If you are uncertain about whether or not to ask a computer-related question in this forum, please feel free to drop me a private message and ask.

Last edited by phunkdust: 28-May-07 at 03:48pm

phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
<
From Remedy

Quote:

Originally Posted by remedy

Not anyone can write good music. Writing music is like painting a picture, anyone can do it but only some people can really excell in it. Before you jump into writing some tunes, ask yourself if you are really good at doing things like this? In school, were you creative? Did you create good art peices? Does your imagination overtake your mind? If you answered yes to most of these then you can make good music. Anyone can sit down and write an ok 4/4 trance beat. Its simply a matter of utilisiing musical techniques and methods. A really good music producer however will use these techniques and methods but add there own creative flare to the whole process, thus giving it an individual taste and a sound that people are intrigued to listen to. Music can give an emotional incite into the creators thought process and inturn act as an outlet for for the creator.

My tip for anyone would be to get your setup right, calibrate it until everything is just perfect, that way you can forget about being a technician and delve deep into your creative mind without being disturbed. When you are writing music, yoiu should be shut off to the rest of the world, oblivious to your sorroundings and oblivious to other things that are happening in your life.

Once you have done this, write whatever the fuck YOU want. whatever makes you feel good and whatever you want to hear. If you like the sound of a tiger farting in reverse then that is fine, use it, loop it, stretch it. Push your limits!

It usually takes about 15mins for you to really get into the vibe of things. You may even find that the music you were writing in that first 15mins isnt worth even keeping because you wernt in the same frame of mind. Its always hard to get started witha track but the only way to get it done is to sit down and start messing around and enjoy!

From Lady Lex

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Lex

Would it be silly to suggest that one learns the basic rudiments of music too?

as most music programmes think users knows the whatfors and whathows in music, perhaps looking at the basic of music would be a good start.

I'd suggest Books 1 - 4 Dulcie Holland. (any other books after that are for Nerds). Theyre written in comprehensible langugage and are also Australian made. Having your basic music knowledge should be a must for each and every music-goer.

Using the above books will then definitely be able to help you getting started as per Remedy's suggestions.

From DJKilby

Quote:

Originally Posted by djkilby

For anyone looking to read up on music theory go to www.musictheory.net its a great site.

From Xelpmok

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelpmok

Heres an article, everyone should read about mixing/eq. Especially anyone thats new to it.

It's based on drum n bass but the graphic way it explains frequencies applies to pretty much everything.

http://www.dnbscene.com/articles.php?mode=display&id=79

From Nightshiver

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightshiver

http://www.tweakheadz.com/

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

From plan-b

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b

useful read from the TTR forums

http://trancetribeforever.com/forums...2c142ca96d835a

Last edited by phunkdust: 28-May-07 at 03:41pm