The DJ Booth

Can we ban new users....

Closed thread
  Tools
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<
Can we ban new users....
from posting new threads in this forum?Is there anyway to make them wait a month or so before the can create new threads?

Theres soo many pointless threads about the same shiet, all created by nubs who dont bother reading the guidelines. Im sure everyone who frequents this forum regularly is sick of seeing the 'im new, what should i buy' threads.
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
You have missed the point. The reason people come to this forum is to help, but if the same shit is reguritated a thousand time it gets old real quick! It would be good there was a function that, when you type your new post, it searches automatically for you and asks you if a previous post has your answer. I'm not sure where I've seen it but it's good!
I'll be back...
Cosmica +

OS

Times thanked
<
Hey guys

Unfortunately you will just have to put up with it and show a bit of patience, as the 'thread search' function has been disabled for the time being.

Anyway, we were all new once so how about guiding new people rather than hassling them? You might encourage more use of the forums by doing so.
!!!
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
^^^ Word! If you don't want to be the one to answer the questions from the thread title, don't go in the thread!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Yeh I was there once, BUT it was fairly easy to see how things worked in here with Bracko watching most threads and wielding the big stick whenever necessary - searching, google researching, and doing your own homework was fairly prevalent compared to the last month or so on here where a tsunami of newcomers have just pushed the limits of repetition a bit too far (to the extent that new noobs are posting the same topics as the older noobs posted just a few days earlier!!!)

Sorry Noobs *pats on head* ... we really do love you

<are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?>
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST

Last edited by richcur: 21-Sep-07 at 08:43am

ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<
i visit this forum frequently and i find a lot help but you get people like you who doesnt want to help anyone and gets annoyed. if you get annoyed about them dont read them. its not that hard
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
not really

when i was looking for cdjs i posted to ask about the differenc between cdj 100s and 200s

the real difference being the pitch accuracy, no where in the specs does it mention pitch accuracy.

yet i still got shit
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
newbies = enthusiastic, excitable, eager to learn.
oldies = jaded, XXXX fucked, grumpy and easily aggitated.

I love this forum, I love talking shop, I love being able to possibly give advice to people who are in a situtatio I too was once in.

If you don't like it, fuck off to another forum!

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Missing the point Kiwi - it's about the repetition. At least check out some of the other similarly named threads before posting a new one that, in reality, asks the same question as someone a week ago, with slightly different wording or language.

Got fuck-all to do with whether the question in itself is "noob".. I'm all for passing on my knowledge and experience - something I'm sure is evident in the majority of my posts pre-september.

So no, I won't fuck off

archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
help me help you

HELP ME HELP YOU

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF F F FF F F FFFFFFF F FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFffff ff

i think we should ban the hilarious parody threads though before this place really does go to the dogs
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
the tasmanian connection

sunday 8pm --> 10pm EST! on www.nsbradio.co.uk

Bbb RrRr Ee A KK SssSSs and such

hi i'm a facebook thing for this
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~**~**~*~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<
i get what u mean..im always on these forums and sometimes i'll see 2 or 3 of the same questions running at the same time. that does get annoying but once a post is gone of the first page its forgotten so someone will definetely repost it. but if its already in the forum why not be nice and just send them a link and dont hammer them with comments which is most likely to put that noob down and he wont want to dj anymore..if he's a girl when it comes to feelings
ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by archietech

help me help you

HELP ME HELP YOU

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF F F FF F F FFFFFFF F FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFffff ff

i think we should ban the hilarious parody threads though before this place really does go to the dogs

what type of threads are you talking about
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Perhaps we should have some more Sticky threads?

"Wanting to get into DJing? Read this"
"Equipment recommendations"
"Advanced DJ tips, including self promotion/clulb gigs"

They seem to be the 3 main types of questions, eh? Just have 3 threads dedicated to them for people to troll through and add new posts to them if they feel so inclined

archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChAbIb

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

rk i find it strange that this hasn't been done, but i guess the mods only have so-many hands (eleven)

*looks at pro's tool*

oh my goodness gracious me :blush:
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
the tasmanian connection

sunday 8pm --> 10pm EST! on www.nsbradio.co.uk

Bbb RrRr Ee A KK SssSSs and such

hi i'm a facebook thing for this
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~**~**~*~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i get what u mean..im always on these forums and sometimes i'll see 2 or 3 of the same questions running at the same time. that does get annoying but once a post is gone of the first page its forgotten so someone will definetely repost it. but if its already in the forum why not be nice and just send them a link and dont hammer them with comments which is most likely to put that noob down and he wont want to dj anymore..if he's a girl when it comes to feelings

That's the whole point. The person that want the information should check further back, not someone else. You don't need experience in the industy to do that! Why should I do the hard yards for someone too lazy to press the page 2 link? People that are lazy shits should be put down. Questions that are relivent are fine, but if it's been answered, then please don't ask it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

Perhaps we should have some more Sticky threads?...
...They seem to be the 3 main types of questions, eh? Just have 3 threads dedicated to them for people to troll through and add new posts to them if they feel so inclined

Brako was talking about doing it. I'm sure he would love your to help!

People that don't read further up in the same thread also piss me right off. If you say something someone has already said a few replies back up the same thread, then you too deserve a royal
This is definately equal to not reading other threads.
I'll be back...
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts
if you dont feel like being helpful, just make smartass, sarcastic answers. its fun

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

cowabungadude +

Times thanked
<
why don't we have a specific dj help thread for noobs to push it to the side a bit?
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Cos it takes a legendary DJ type to be helpful, create one, and then we just sticky it!
palaeo-tech +

: is not here.

Times thanked
<
Perhaps a good idea to collate a range of common topics and sticky them like a best of directory. I do think that there would end up being so many of them that it would be a little OTT to put it all in this forum though.

Maybe a couple of polls would be useful to gage it?
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Someone please tell me what the few main issues that a sticky should address are, and I'll tend to it - I reakon it's a great idea.

While I agree with the notion that there are n00blets creating a few too many trash threads - as users of this forum we all have a responsibility to contribute something positive and helpful toware making it better for everyone. So hit me with the basic questions that the sticky can answer. Bracko?
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by palaeo-tech

Perhaps a good idea to collate a range of common topics and sticky them like a best of directory. I do think that there would end up being so many of them that it would be a little OTT to put it all in this forum though.

Maybe a couple of polls would be useful to gage it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblore

People that don't read further up in the same thread also piss me right off. If you say something someone has already said a few replies back up the same thread, then you too deserve a royal
This is definately equal to not reading other threads.

FFS!!!!!

I'll be back...
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I love this forum, I love talking shop, I love being able to possibly give advice to people who are in a situtatio I too was once in.

If you don't like it, fuck off to another forum!

Word up. And management can't exactly complain about topic duplication until they re-enable the search function anyway.
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Probably easier to start the sticky thread with the few questions that have been posted throughout today, then add to it from there - I'm sure the posting/reposting and re-asking the same questions daily won't stop, so when they pop up, just delete them after adding their content to the sticky?

vs. trudging through all the historical threads, just start it from today? (I think we'll be able to cope with a lil repetition, knowing there's now a path forward haha)

palaeo-tech +

Times thanked
<
I think seperate threads running through the essential tools required for setting up different home DJ studios would be a start:

A. Vinyl DJ - Suggest worthwhile TTs/Carts/Mixer/HPs/Monitors/Sig. Processing/Recording tools
B. CD DJ - Ditto on the above minus the obvious as far as decks go.
C. Digital DJ - Different combinations of software + hardware controllers, plus and minus on platforms (PC, Mac, Linux) and perhaps a brief mention of MIDI and MAYBE OSC (Could be a bit intimidating for noobs though)

Another could cover links to sites with DJ technique tutorials covering beatmatching. harmonic mixing, effects etc.

With recording wrapped into the other threads that would cover everything I would think.
palaeo-tech +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblore

FFS!!!!!

Relax! I did suggest a poll as well so it wasn't exactly the same as the previous thread now was it. Besides, i'm trying to contribute something constructive.
Marc Us +

House & Funk DJ

Times thanked
<
im a fence sitter. yeah so many threads are just regurgitation but we were all new once & i ve had my share of dumb posts

IMO - if u dont wanna help, just ignore those threads.

i dont doubt we will see 'new' threads about the following topic again in the next 2 weeks...
2 days even.

CDJ800/1000s, electro house is crap vs good, what is good music/definr genre, what club didnt i get in, fluro bashing, something pointless about daft punk the list goes on
Tikki Tembo
www.tikkitembomusic.com
social media: #tikkitembomusic
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Relax! I did suggest a poll as well so it wasn't exactly the same as the previous thread now was it. Besides, i'm trying to contribute something constructive.

If you repeat someone else it's not being constructive.
I'll be back...
beatfreakn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Perhaps we should have some more Sticky threads?

"Wanting to get into DJing? Read this"
"Equipment recommendations"
"Advanced DJ tips, including self promotion/clulb gigs"

They seem to be the 3 main types of questions, eh? Just have 3 threads dedicated to them for people to troll through and add new posts to them if they feel so inclined

Your on to it.

I think sticky threads specifying exactly what they are about is the answer to this.
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I think seperate threads running through the essential tools required for setting up different home DJ studios would be a start:

A. Vinyl DJ - Suggest worthwhile TTs/Carts/Mixer/HPs/Monitors/Sig. Processing/Recording tools
B. CD DJ - Ditto on the above minus the obvious as far as decks go.
C. Digital DJ - Different combinations of software + hardware controllers, plus and minus on platforms (PC, Mac, Linux) and perhaps a brief mention of MIDI and MAYBE OSC (Could be a bit intimidating for noobs though)

Another could cover links to sites with DJ technique tutorials covering beatmatching. harmonic mixing, effects etc.

With recording wrapped into the other threads that would cover everything I would think.

Good idea. Maybe there should be another one named
D. Preferred Mixers. With a list of mixers people should look at and ones that they should keep away from.

In every sticky thread there should be a starters post and an advanced one as well.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
no we can't ban new users. some of us have put up with it longer than others, but it's part of the forum. if you don't like it... leave.

that being said, I am going to try and put together a few things this weekend with the vision of writing articles in October when i'm less busy.
step on my cubes.
ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<
sticky threads are a very good idea. but there will be a lot less communication within these forums due to them. wouldnt that be a downfall?
ijed +

boulderdash

Times thanked
<
google + "inthemix" + "keywords" == itm search function

to use the excuse that the search function is disabled is pretty weak...

Good ideas for sticky threads tho.

Need an RTFM sticky with links to manuals.
cloud
http://www.beatsnbleeps.com/
N4TE +

I play rough now - don't like it? Don't play.

Times thanked
<
needed stickys...

Basic DJ skills FAQ *locked*

recording your mixes (required hardware & software and how to set it up) *locked*

what mixer should you buy?

complete guide to laptop dj superstardom

everything cdj

introduce yourself/post a link to a mix

Speakers, Monitors, PA and F.O.H rig almanac.

and then, anyone who starts a thread covered by a sticky gets a one month ban. yay.
“Care more than others think is wise,
risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical
and expect more than others think is possible."
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
edited

or i wil get another warning

Last edited by johnjay: 24-Sep-07 at 01:26am

phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
<
No, but I am willing to ban idiots that start threads like these.
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »