Old Skool

best dj back in the day

Page 3 of 3
  Tools
midian +

'yeah, nah, go f**k yourself, I am the King of the Mods and I am the Decider. There can be only One. And.... go f**k yourself.'

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum

Re: Crisis.

As has been said before, great tunage, rubbish mixes.

However, getting to hear some of the best tracks on the planet that other people weren't playing, at a time when the majority (DJs included) were obsessed with the same 20 odd italian-esque anthems, which hardly take one anywhere musically, Crisis was an innovator for Sydney during the early to mid 90s.

Such a shame his mixing was quite often woeful. I still absolutely dig much of the tracks he sourced.

I think Crisis is somewhat of a legacy to the way the rave scene started out. What I mean by that is he, and George Vagas, are true examples that once upon a time the rave scene (and the electronic scene in general) was purely about the music and nothing else. Why was that? Because they got away with being bad mixers for so long, but were still revered as gods by many purely because of the access they had to great music. And that's all it was about - music. Long before the days of the internet, whoever had first access to the best vinyl shipments (or the best contacts overseas) and who had the balls to play something different generally won the race to the top, which is why I think Vagas and Crisis dominated for so many years. As soon as styles changed, dance music commercialized and the internet started to develop giving people access to the same records as every other DJ, the playing field became much more level and those that couldn't keep up were relegated to the past.

I've always found Crisis to be a top bloke and he really did give 110% every time he got behind the decks. I don't think anyone rocked around so hard and tried to do so much with decks and a mixer, even if it didn't work out allot of the time
THIERRY01 +

Times thanked
<
astrix

akira

shade

paul holden

spellbound

geoff da chef

arthur

geewiz

illusion now is cadell

vagas

nik fish

pee wee ferris

south end
Julian Jason +

this is not me...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by midian

I think Crisis is somewhat of a legacy to the way the rave scene started out. What I mean by that is he, and George Vagas, are true examples that once upon a time the rave scene (and the electronic scene in general) was purely about the music and nothing else. Why was that? Because they got away with being bad mixers for so long, but were still revered as gods by many purely because of the access they had to great music. And that's all it was about - music. Long before the days of the internet, whoever had first access to the best vinyl shipments (or the best contacts overseas) and who had the balls to play something different generally won the race to the top, which is why I think Vagas and Crisis dominated for so many years. As soon as styles changed, dance music commercialized and the internet started to develop giving people access to the same records as every other DJ, the playing field became much more level and those that couldn't keep up were relegated to the past.

I've always found Crisis to be a top bloke and he really did give 110% every time he got behind the decks. I don't think anyone rocked around so hard and tried to do so much with decks and a mixer, even if it didn't work out allot of the time

for real man.... well said...

i still think of him n george as gods, evan tho wen i listen to sum of their old mixes like vegas@vision93 im shocked at how bad the mixin is...but the tracks are still outa site....im mean 3 decks was the first rave tape i eva bought so for that alone i love him and he will always b a part of me...

shame he doesnt really hav a place in rave history like others...wen i came into it which was in 92-93 he really was a sensation in the scene, playin gabber well before the rest...i had been listening to the mix of styles that technogroove wud play, but i had neva herd shit like wen i herd crisis...fooorken blew my mind!!!
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg...b7hapo1_500.gi
Novaboy +

Times thanked
<
anyone know what herb or manix is doing these days?
Methodixxx +

... IN TRIPLICATE

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum

Re: Crisis.

As has been said before, great tunage, rubbish mixes.

However, getting to hear some of the best tracks on the planet that other people weren't playing, at a time when the majority (DJs included) were obsessed with the same 20 odd italian-esque anthems, which hardly take one anywhere musically, Crisis was an innovator for Sydney during the early to mid 90s.

Such a shame his mixing was quite often woeful. I still absolutely dig much of the tracks he sourced.

Playing 3 decks like he did with those tracks was unheard of back in the day... the man had Carl Cox standing in the middle of the dancefloor nodding his head with respect at one party!

Kicked so much arse over everyone else (except Hi-Shock); the parties always got so damn mental when he stepped up!

Fuck clean mixing when the tunage and energy was so intense!

Mainline Music
MAINLINE Presents:

http://soundcloud.com/methodix
pauld_mcmahon +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

Sounds like the one...

Well...

At present, the tape's over 4000km away in a shoebox in the wardrobe of the spare bedroom of the house where my Mother-in-law resides...

...along with every other tape ('cept Crisis' Prodigy4-Outdoor, cause some dirty sweaty raver stole it) awaiting me to remaster them to the digital age...

Trying to think of the other tunage on it...

Ten years later almost to the day !!! I've just listened to Let It Out 94 -> and that isn't the one

I remember that tape doing the rounds though, and it was a blast to hear it again
DTrancer +

I don't know how to change my user title?!1

Times thanked
<
Uh dont you mean twenty years? lool
pauld_mcmahon +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTrancer View Post

Uh dont you mean twenty years? lool

Ha ha no, ten years almost to the day between Spectrum suggestion an ID for my tape, and my response ;-)
Page 3 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »