The DJ Booth

Serato vs Traktor vs *insert next competitor here*

Tools
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
Serato vs Traktor vs *insert next competitor here*
im thinking about throwing some money into the vinyl emulation market but im stuck on what package i should buy. all the people i know (using this technology) all use Serato therefore its the only program i have been exposed to.

Just wanting to hear some thoughts on what people think are the ups and down of each program and perhaps a final judgement on which one and why.

cheers
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
oliosky +

Steel City Resident

Times thanked
<
S to the E to the ARCH
DJ_TMC +

Times thanked
<
Serato is way cooler less lag.. but i havent used traktor and apparently it has more features.. maybe just test both out.. but its definately serato or traktor..
www.djtmc.com
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
<
Personally, I have traktor and have used serato only briefly. I haven't found anything serato can do that traktor can't... personally i prefer traktor as i feel it has a simpler interface. More options given the Audio 8 is an awesome soundcard & upgrade to traktor 3 options.
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
is there a way you can test them out (eg in store) before buying?

main reason i would go with serato is because a fewplaces have it preinstalled and all you need to bring is your laptop and records.

Catch me playing @

Last edited by trouble hifire: 09-Apr-08 at 10:02am

oliosky +

Steel City Resident

Times thanked
<
I've never seen serato pre-installed anywhere TBH....
db_audio +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_TMC

Serato is way cooler less lag.. but i havent used traktor and apparently it has more features.. maybe just test both out.. but its definately serato or traktor..

so......

your first statement seems to dictate you have extensive experience in all platforms across a standard machine for comparison reasons... I assume that "cooler" is some technical term not understood by a layman such as I....

you then seem to indicate that, infact, you do not have the, pre-concieved by all, experience you firstly tout *collective gasp by the crowd* ohnoes!

finally you completly write off the last major player in the market which undercuts on cost and performs to similar levels with integration, midi, but slightly lacks in build construction.

i see we're onto a winner here
oliosky +

Steel City Resident

Times thanked
<
Ouch.
holtless +

Look at 'im go!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by db_audio

so......

your first statement seems to dictate you have extensive experience in all platforms across a standard machine for comparison reasons... I assume that "cooler" is some technical term not understood by a layman such as I....

you then seem to indicate that, infact, you do not have the, pre-concieved by all, experience you firstly tout *collective gasp by the crowd* ohnoes!

finally you completly write off the last major player in the market which undercuts on cost and performs to similar levels with integration, midi, but slightly lacks in build construction.

unnecessary?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooky

I'm more offended about the fluro headband comment yo, that shits not cool, i have taste, and an impecable dress sense

DJ_TMC +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

so......

Sorry Adolf
www.djtmc.com
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliosky

I've never seen serato pre-installed anywhere TBH....

the moonbar does as far as i know.

though back on topic can anyone give useful info on the pro's and con's of the different programs?

Catch me playing @

djyak +

Times thanked
<
just wondering if anyone used atomic virtual dj back in the day ?
DJ YAK
www.djyak.com
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
<
traktor is way better the ni interface and all in one multicore wire is great traktor ftw
Nixtol +

Tolerating crap since '82

Times thanked
<
Traktor does the right thing by me!
Snatch & Grab
Phoenix
Lesbian-Indie-Weekly
www.myspace.com/snatch_and_grab
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by djyak

just wondering if anyone used atomic virtual dj back in the day ?

haha sure did mate

even set my webcam up so you could do that 'scratching' thing ahaha

one of my mates still uses it actually, it's all he ever uses and has ever used. he's a funk 'dj' and damn he's good.
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
the tasmanian connection

sunday 8pm --> 10pm EST! on www.nsbradio.co.uk

Bbb RrRr Ee A KK SssSSs and such

hi i'm a facebook thing for this
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~**~**~*~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
db_audio +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essi

traktor is way better the ni interface and all in one multicore wire is great traktor ftw

the only problem with it is it increases the noise in the cable when you're playing normal records through phono. probably not noticable on a club system, but through studio monitors there is a difference.

also, what's the aftermarket price for it..... NI seem to have a nack for gauging you with aftermarket

also have a look at torq if you want a lower cost option. the reviews have been quite positive, if you're looking for something for more of a home usage it's a great piece of kit. there's been big things promised with the next release as well i have heard.
TravGTi +

Who Slimed Me

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouble hifire

is there a way you can test them out (eg in store) before buying?

main reason i would go with serato is because a fewplaces have it preinstalled and all you need to bring is your laptop and records.

Damn, my reply has turned into a massiv rant!

I would not ever let the whole "its the industry standard" concept guide your decisions... sure it can make transition from home top club a bit easier but I personally think it will generally leave you with inferior gear than what is available for the money (Insert Pioneer DJM600 here).

Do some research on the net heaps of independent revews out there (dont listen too much to people who have bought a system as no one ever seems to want to write off what theyve bought), look at mag and online site reviews of them all in detail.

Do not think you're limited to just Serato or Traktor, theres also Numark Virtual Vinyl, M-Audio Torq (really good price and from what I saw just as effective as the rest) and Stanton Final Scratch (sadly lost out alot when Native Instruments got out of doing Stantons Software - which was a specific version of Traktor Version 1 and 2 anyway and starting making Traktor Scratch),

My Advice:

Consider what features you want... as they all have the basics and do them really well (namely cueing, needle dropping, tracking the timecode-and scratching-which is the replication of the main features we all relied on with vinyl). The response times (latency) on the sound cards are all in the lower part of the 10-20 milliseconds range (yeah thats 1 to 2 hundredths of a second) so if anyone recons that they can pick the difference they're lying. The sound quality of the digital outs is also really good, Ive not read a review yet that indicated that theyve found any one to be better than another.

I went with Numark Virtual Vinyl about 8 months ago and used it for its first club gig last weekend without a hassle in the world playing a two hour slot (supporting international artists so I was rather paranoid)...

The reason I chose this system was for the following features (Ill try to provide info on all systems not just the Numark one, and will hopefully not sound like Im going a sell or anything-just trying to give a run down of my experience with another one of the options out there):

Song database has separate ID3 tag value for the songs key (only Numark and Traktor offer this) ideal for using mixed in key software to get you into harmonic mixing - Cant recomend Mixed in Key enough I must add-cheap and damn effective-(Seemed like my mixing improved by like 50% over night just by selecting harmonically suitable tracks-everyone should seriously get on it!).

Offers full .vst effects Support-allows for easy use of software effects such as filters delays pans echos etc which I miss not having my Denon DNX mixer when I play out. (Only Traktor and Numark offer this) and gives you access to thousands of free plugin effects which dont chew too much processor power and get really good results.

Has 3rd stereo out channel which can be fed by an internal 12 bank sampler in the softare which soon I intend to control via a M-Audio Trigger Finger or Akai MIDI Pad Controller to drop vocals, drums, samples or loops and the likes easily without wasting a vinyl controller output/deck on. (Traktor also offers addtional hardware outputs for a similar purpose I believe)

Good MIDI control options: comes pre configured for control by Numark Total Control, Vestax VCI 100, Torq Exponent (which are midi mixer and effect controllers) most platforms also have decent support for these and have a specific controller designed for direct integration of their controls, Traktor has the vestax controller, Numark has the Total Control, M-Audio Torq has the X-Ponent. Serato has a new Numark-made controller available which is pretty crazy, called the NS7 (shame its like $2500) see below,

The control vinyl has hot cue grooves (12 in total I think-that look like breakdowns on a traditional record-easy to spot) allows you to set up cue points within a song file that will be activated by dropping the needle in any one of these spots- makes setting up a bundle of scratch samples within a single song file, or specific launch points of verses/choruses within acapellas really easy.

Soundcard does not need to be plugged into power to run (powered directly off USB) Im pretty sure all bar the Staton Final Scratch offer this. I can assure you that Ive never once had a glitch on this in the 6 months that its been in solid use. (the control vinyl is also not showing any signs of deterioration from being cued so frequently in the same spot either)

iTunes Library integration: So the library and playlists Ive already militantly set up and managed using iTunes is directly available within the DJ software so I dont have to manage multiple Librarys. (cant tell you which other systems offer this but Im pretty sure its most of them)

The software skin is also really well layed out and functional, one advantage that it has over any of the other options is that it lays the playing waveform of the tracks over each other and places tags on the beats (separately marking each beat and also the first beat of each bar) and each track to see in an instant if theyre aligned or phrased properly this makes mixing without head phones really simple should the need arise and also just offers a really good visual guide (Traktor has separate windows for this display and makes comparrison hard, Serato and Torq to run them side by side but still separate). The progress display waveform is also really big and clear and makes on the fly sequencing alot easier, If youwanna time up a full double drop getting the right point to launch is easy to see the prgress displays on the other sytems tend to be much simpler.

see the pics below.

Has the scope to expand to VJing (which I think Serato version 2.0 now offers also) allows manipulation of video files with vinyl (but must use a midi interface and internal mixer) not a big selling point but having had a bit of a play with the features has potential.

The Traktor multicore cables are a cool offering, and can be purchased for use with pretty well any of the vinyl control systems (for about $100 for a pair) - I agree with Native Instruments who suggest it would be well worth permanent installation in any serious club. Tho its pretty easy to make up your own, Get 4 sets of stereo RCS bundling them into two groups of two cables: colour code and join them with with some insultation tape, (in the case of Virtual Vinyl, the left deck is blue and the right deck is Red so that made identifying the L and R easy)... then simply add say white or green or another colour to one of the RCAs within each group to the cable u wanna identify as the Line output from the soundcard. I take it that made sense yeah?

Regardless of what one you select I think youll come to love the additional features and control you will gain by going analogue/digital!!!

I hope this has helped a bit!
AKA Travis Da TRAKTOR

LHolland +

Times thanked
<
Serato is great. Been using it for three years and always been good. Only problems are:
Clunky box and the usb connection to the box can be delicate.

Have not used Traktor so won't comment on that except to say that I have friends who use it and like it as well. So just choose one that you like and suits what your after/budget.
wezzy +

Times thanked
<
Heard M-audio Torq is pretty good too... SO FAR thats the Cheapest among all..

wez
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
You can get traktor for $599 education price. I wish serato did an education discount as well.
db_audio +

Times thanked
<
get rid of the massive fucking pics .
rhythmboy +

"I am the Beef Chief..."

Times thanked
<

Quote:

get rid of the massive fucking pics .

get rid of the massive fucking vested interest db - Trav has offered far more useful information than you have so far.

I'm not even a dj and I've been educated and informed by Trav's post - unlike yours which sound like a 17 year old having a hissy fit.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
errr. hai?

the point is i think that over the 3 screens of text, it makes the post a little hard to read.
step on my cubes.
Underdog +

meh

Times thanked
<
ive used Serato for a couple of gigs with a mate, but bought traktor after trying it out - solid as a f#cking rock, Audio 8 is built like a tank, great sound, easy peesy multicore cables, more features than searato, top notch FX, mid assignable, low cost upgarde to Traktor 3 , yada yada

its added a new dimension to my sets now and rellay re-ivigorated my interest on what can be done, whaetver platform you choose, youll be glad you moved in the DVS direction
NEVER MIND THE BALEARICS! TROPICAL DISCO AND BEYOND!, BACK REAL SOON - SIGN UP HERE
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
cheers for all the info guys. though its made the decision harder now that i realise there is quite a few good systems on the market. will give it some serious thought before i throw the money at it.

Catch me playing @

rhythmboy +

"I am the Beef Chief..."

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

errr. hai?

the point is i think that over the 3 screens of text, it makes the post a little hard to read.

I think the point is someone has something good to say about product other than Serato.

I discovered my scroll wheel lets me view the page fine.
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
The Numark screen capture reminds me alot of the layout that Virtual DJ has/had - did Numark take over Virtual DJ as their own software?
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
TravGTi +

Who Slimed Me

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by richcur

The Numark screen capture reminds me alot of the layout that Virtual DJ has/had - did Numark take over Virtual DJ as their own software?

Yeah the software is essentially a re-skinned version of Virtual DJ version 5.0, I didnt know this at the time of purchase, but the sheer amount of support that you get from the virtual dj community (you get support from both numark and virtual dj included) in terms of effects, skins etc is pretty mad hey.

Oh and to haters of my previous post, ever so sorry for the huge inconvenience of having to scroll down, to the rest hope it was of some assistance!
AKA Travis Da TRAKTOR

littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
I've heard people talking about upgrading Traktor Scratch to Traktor 3.3 or something like that?

What's the go with the Traktor line (for DVS) - I can't get a grip on it. Once you buy Traktor Scratch is there better Traktor software that people upgrade too or am I just getting confused?
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
Traktor Scratch can be lickened to Serato Scratch: 2 Deck Mixing Low Latency (but Traktor has FX)

Traktor 3 has the ability to mix 4 decks at once (controllable by two Virtual Vinyls) and is an upgrade to Trakor Scratch and costs a bit more more money
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
costs about a hundred or so bucks if i recall correctly, possibly more. the reason i got traktor 3 studio or whatever was purely for midi-clock. there are more effects and such too. ekwipt you can actually run 4 x decks or w/e - not just virtual decks
the tasmanian connection

ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
Is that 4 decks with 4 cdjs/turntables? I thought it was 2 controllers controlling 4 decks?
I'd condsider Traktor 3 over serato as I'd like more than 2 decks now....
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
^^^

Yeah if I could control 4 decks through my CDJ's and Turntables (I controller per deck) that would make for a good program. But I think it works the way you said 2 controllers for 4 virtual decks
lowbass +

Times thanked
<
Ive been using Stanton Final Scratch for a while now and it's solid as a rock - and thats using an old Pentium 3 Laptop!
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebrains69

^^^

Yeah if I could control 4 decks through my CDJ's and Turntables (I controller per deck) that would make for a good program. But I think it works the way you said 2 controllers for 4 virtual decks

TS + Traktor 3.3 does 4 deck control. You can control all 4 decks with CD or vinyl which is a neato feature.
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
^^

So you can use 4 REAL turntables controlling the program? eg. Have 2 CDJ's mixing tracks with an acapella from 1 turntable and scratching on the other....... no just have 2CDJ+2TT's plugged in but only be able to mix off two at anyone time controlling the 4 virtual decks or whatever.

If thats the case I've just been sold with Traktor
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Indeedy doo you can. 4 decks at once 2xCD and 2xTT ain't a prob. You just have to upgrade TS to the full Traktor program. The upgrade retails $179AU.
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
It's a good idea, I'd probably just use the 2 decks to control the 4 virtual decks, less space requirements at home
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
my "compact" setup is one denon DNS3000 and traktor with a mixer.

its a minor annoyance to switch the deck signal over every track.... but its a fuckload better than having to buy another CDJ
step on my cubes.
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
hahaha

nice
the tasmanian connection

Bassbunker +

Stay Strong, Stay Low...

Times thanked
<
Serato 1.8.1 may possibly have virtual decks.
I was reading through the beta testing forums on serato and they was some mention of virtual decks.
At this point I don't want to test it so haven't actually downloaded the actual beta so I can't confirm it, just start rumors instead
Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true
Jerry lee lewis was the devil
Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »