CDJ400s vs Serato

Tools
AdamMadd +

Artificial Intelligence!

Times thanked
<
CDJ400s vs Serato
Hey all,

I'm just after some personal opinions here, cause i'm really undecided on which way to go.. My old CDJ100s have finally decided to kick the bucket and i'm looking to replace them.. But i can't decide between getting Serato and another Technics 1200 (I already have one, had two but one was stolen some time ago), or just replacing the 100s with 2 x CDJ400s.. They both work out about the same price, and as much as i love playing vinyl, CDs has been much easier for me to carry around (I damaged my back some time ago from carting around too many vinyls, so had no choice but to make the change)..
What are peoples opinions on each? Serato vs the CDJ400s....
I've revived the Ozclubbers forums now. Go here
Master Mischief +

Times thanked
<
Serato and another table...IMO

You've obviously still got a vinyl collection...unless that was stolen also...so the practical solution would be to get another table + Serato. Then save and add CDJ's later...I would be saving for 1000's though...
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
i do prefer traktor over my CD players.
step on my cubes.
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
traktor scratch ftw.

It's better than serato imo.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
kloseline +

Times thanked
<
m-audio torq ftw... start bashing

KLOSELINE - BMidget Mix.mp3 BMore and Fidget 60 min mix
palaeo-tech +

: is not here.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kloseline

m-audio torq ftw... start bashing

No, seriously I'm sure it is ok. That said . . . . Traktor.
AdamMadd +

Artificial Intelligence!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Mischief

Serato and another table...IMO

You've obviously still got a vinyl collection...unless that was stolen also...so the practical solution would be to get another table + Serato. Then save and add CDJ's later...I would be saving for 1000's though...

Yeah, luckily they didn't get my vinyl collection.. I had that with me the night my place was broken into..
In most circumstances, i would go with the 1200 and Serato, however its alot less hassle to just bring CDs to a club because they have CDJ's than it is to bring a Serato (or Traktor or whatever) box and have to plug it in half way through a night to do a set in a club.. Thats the only reason why CDJs are even being contemplated.. And the reason why i'm thinking about the CDJ400s over CDJ1000s is cause i'll only ever be using them at home.. But....... I can't argue with the love and feel of playing vinyl.. Thats something that never goes away..
djaudiophile +

licking the lid of life

Times thanked
<
/hijack

Does anyone know if there are differences in the traktor scratch, serato, final scratch timecode vinyl and CD's ?
Or is timecode just timecode and the same across the board ?

/end hijack

palaeo-tech +

Times thanked
<
There are differences in quality. I can safely say that the timecode vinyl for Traktor is much better than that which was included with Final Scratch but not having used other DVS can't make any other comparisons.

NI make quite a big deal out of their vinyl being the best manufactured around and it honestly lives up to the hype. The system is insanely reliable.
Richie B +

Times thanked
<
Why don't you just get Serato and then when you play out you can bring the control CD's with you and use the club's CDJ's with your Serato interface and use the control vinyls when you bash it out at home????

Then you can enjoy your record collection at home on your Technics too?

I've used Serato and thought it felt and sounded just like playing vinyl. Haven't tried it with the CD's though.

I am a pathological Traktor hater. Sorry guys!
palaeo-tech +

Times thanked
<
Blasphemy!! Why so opposed?
AdamMadd +

Artificial Intelligence!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie B

Why don't you just get Serato and then when you play out you can bring the control CD's with you and use the club's CDJ's with your Serato interface and use the control vinyls when you bash it out at home????

Then you can enjoy your record collection at home on your Technics too?

I've used Serato and thought it felt and sounded just like playing vinyl. Haven't tried it with the CD's though.

I am a pathological Traktor hater. Sorry guys!

Thats the only negative side, is that i'd have to hook the Serato interface into the mixer, and i think that could annoy some people if i'm trying to do it mid set or something like that..
Brendongl +

Times thanked
<
Hopefully for DJs who use Serato this will no longer be a problem as new and upcoming clubs should start making their stage serato-friendly.
So far i've seen 3 clubs in perth with serato-friendly DJ booths...
I myself want to buy a CDJ to learn how to use it, then just burn my tracks onto disc and use the CDJs if serato is not present.

Last edited by Brendongl: 20-Sep-08 at 02:33pm

jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
<
Serato, is a completly different format to CD's.
It was designed and developed for a cross over from Analogue to the digital but without loosing the whole asthetic appeal of vinyl.
Serato, lets you incorporate not just your standard turntable techniques, but being able to set up multiple cue points and now the added advantage of introducing a MIDI into your live work, makes sampling and looping a whole new world.
It's a great tool, worthy of an outlay.

What? you don't want to carry around all the gear?
Shit, it beats dragging a record bag around and having a fucked back by Sunday morning.
Have you checked out Marsh Media recently?

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieBrooke

when cueing up "Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) by Wham I knew it was gonna go off!!!

annandin +

bam bam bam bam

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabbajaws

Serato, is a completly different format to CD's.

Serato comes with both timecoded Vinyl and timecoded CDs. You can use it through CDJs just like you use it through Vinyl.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »