CDJ 1000 Mk 2 Vs Mk 3

Tools
JBanga +

Times thanked
<
CDJ 1000 Mk 2 Vs Mk 3
Hey everyone,

I am trying to buy 2 decks and a mixer.
I have made my mind up on definetly sticking with a DJM 800, but what I can't figure out is, what is the difference between a CDJ1000 Mark 2 and a Mark 3, I'm fair n00b so please respond with some easy to understand lingo.

I'm looking at buying 2nd hand gear that is in good condition and (just like everyone else) am trying to save spending as much as possible.

So far I have saved about $500 towards the kit. Being a 17 year old still in year 12 it is pretty hard to save when you don't have a full time job, but I'm selling a whole bunch of shit around the house that I don't need anymore and think I wont have TOOO much trouble finding the money.

Only thing I'm scared of is when my parents find out I went and blew 3-4K + on some decks and a mixer, they probs try to kill me, but oh well shit happens.

JB
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
why not buy some stuff that aint so expensive to start off with to make sure you enjoy it and don't wanna sell 3-4k worth of stuff after 3 months?
get some cdj-400's/200's and a djm-400 to start of with i rekon.. it also won't dig such a gaping whole in your pocket
dudu +

Times thanked
<
Mk2 doesn't have MP3 playback, Mk3 supports Mp3.

From what i've read, the mk2 is alot tougher
hoojee +

Times thanked
<
mk3 has better lcd display (hence better waveform display), the platter display is closer, has a platter resistance adjustment and as dudu said mp3 playback..

hmm.. apart from that, i cant quite remember on the top of my head.. infact actually thats all the difference between the mk2 and mk3
JBanga +

Times thanked
<
I know what your saying, and thanks for your reply, about the mark II mark 3 thing, do I really need MP3 playback?, to be honest I don't buy any CDs except from MOS and a 1 or 2 others on rare occasions, I download most 'new' mixes from Limewire as MP3s (is there anyways to convert them and play on a Mark II?)

I understand what you say about not spending so much, I have used my mates CDJ 400s and a DJM 400 before, but I went to JB Hi-Fi on the goldcoast and had a fiddle with the 1000 Mk3s and a DJM 800 for half an hour or so and just fell in love with them, once I realised the difference, I had made my mind up!

Also ... why buy more basic equipment and limit my learning capabilities?

Thanks again for all your responses
hoojee +

Times thanked
<
basic equipment doesnt limit you're learning capabilities.. cdj200 are awesome to learn on.. its got all the features of a cdj1000 except for the scratch function.. also must at the 6% pitch bend on the cdj200 is also an awesome bonus...

i wouldnt recommend burning ur cds in mp3, burn it as audio cd, the cdjs have some limits reading mp3s. the waveforms on the 1000's load in realtime(slower than audio cd) some pitch limitations etc.. best to burn them as audio cd format. so mp3 capabilities isnt that necessary

limewire.. i smell piracy..

Last edited by hoojee: 20-Sep-08 at 02:38pm

tongaface +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBanga

I download most 'new' mixes from Limewire as MP3s (is there anyways to convert them and play on a Mark II?)

MKII = Burn the mp3's to an audio cd (~10 songs per cd)
MKIII = Burn mp3's as a mp3/data cd (~40 songs per cd)

most people don't burn mp3/data cd's coz then its hard to do up tracklistings for your cd wallet so really the MKIII mp3 functionality isn't really that a great benefit

Quote:

Also ... why buy more basic equipment and limit my learning capabilities?

you can learn just as much on djm400/cdj400s as on djm800/cdj1000s, chances are even when you do get the basics down and you are comfortable you probably won't even use the extra functionality that the djm800/cdj1000s has

save the thousands by getting the 400s, if in a year or 2 you've feel like you've conquered them, then by all means upgrade but its just not worth it when you start out especially if you don't know if this is just a 6 month fad that you have
OZilla +

Times thanked
<
mk4~

don't listen to ppl who say start off with cheaper stuff, u'll regret it later
Let the wookie win.
JBanga +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZilla

mk4~

don't listen to ppl who say start off with cheaper stuff, u'll regret it later

Lol is it even out yet?
bkp_ +

KA-CHING!

Times thanked
<
no
look buddy, your car was upside down when I got here
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Bunch of jealous tight arses.

Go for the 1000's. MK2.
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<
Hears a thought, buys some cheaper gear so that way you can BUY your tunes with the left overs! FFS...

Stupid to mix already mixed CD's, buy the full length versions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Good Doctor

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

shaggdoggz +

Times thanked
<
go mk3.
Reasons:
they hold better value price wise since its newer... obviously, and incase ur parents go so skitzo they make you sell them, well u get more money back :-)
few basic things they allow greatter control over.
if you get more involved and hook up ableton and other stuff, they have other benefits that i could truelly go more in depth with but would take up 2 many posts and im lazy right now.
they are more resilient to drunk people at massive overcrowded parties.
put under house insurance they are still an easily bought product and are still being produced by pioneer so the insurance company are better about insuring them for if they do get trashed.
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts
also, mk3's do pitch adjustment in 0.02% increments while the mk2 do 0.05%. not that it makes a terrible amount of difference apart from the amount of minor job wheel adjustments you make
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

ShuffleStuff +

paris is for losers

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,423 Posts
mk2's do 0.02% pitch adjust actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRP

I don't need to know how tough I am to know how tough I am.

quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts
doh, indeed they do. i must have had it on +/- 10% the other night
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
Even though i asked this same question a couple of weeks ago i did seach and nothing came up. all of this has been answered use the seach function and do some reseach. In to what you want to buy. Dose not mean go ask questions on itm. Go and read posts about it. people have posted and posted to death about gear on here.

and please be sure you actualy want to this for more than 2 weeks. because you want to be a famous fluro house electro tossa.

Also let what you have downloaded off lime wire be the last track you prirate.

Go to www.beatport.com and if you give me the hole i dont have enough money to buy your music speal i will come around and beat you up haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

I'm a faggot

JBanga +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE

and if you give me the hole i dont have enough money to buy your music speal i will come around and beat you up haha.

But ... But ... I actually DON'T have enough money, all $500 I have saved is tied in PayPal at the moment
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
Go get a job and dont say year 12 because im doing year 12 currently as well.

Quote:

I'm a faggot

Rem_labs_lost +

I <3 Tech

Times thanked
<
800 mk2's have mp3 support, great quick loop function, non adjustable jog wheel but i've found the setting is perfect anyways...they also don't have the wave display which i really do like...but for home use it's not overly a issue... the 800 mk2's go for about 900 brand new atm i think
F&E GIG GUIDE:
23/03/12 - 4 STRINGS-Family
30/03/12 - MASIF-Family
08/04/12 - BOMBS AWAY-EP
14/04/12 - TONESHIFTERZ-Affinity
14/04/12 - CREAMFIELDS LAUNCH
27/04/12 - NICK SKITZ- Family
23/06/12 - DEFQON 1 HOLLAND-Q-dance
+ many more TBA
Keep up to date with all things F&E @ www.fande.info
JBanga +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Go get a job and dont say year 12 because im doing year 12 currently as well.

Yes but I'm sure you don't go to a boarding school... Anyways, I'm working over the holidays, but I'll probly only manage to save 800-1K over 2 weeks (if I spend nothing)
GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<
i love my 800's, love the quick loops on it, shame the 1000 dont have it, can be so handy sometimes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
yeah mk4s better have that and usb on them

Quote:

I'm a faggot

JBanga +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

yeah mk4s better have that and usb on them

Yeah but the Mk9s have a lux compasator and psycopathical brain wave detectors too
generalninja +

Times thanked
<
get a $300 mixer
get 2nd hand cdj 200s

or get a midi controller, a cheap soundcard to cue traktor...

i started my journey when i was 15 with a demo of Virtual DJ, mouse and keyboard.
shaggdoggz +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Also let what you have downloaded off lime wire be the last track you prirate.

Thats really good advice there... limewire is shit quality and really hard to find 320kbps or better. also most of the songs are premixed which is useless in the most part for properly djing.
Dont become one of the totally 'awesome' djs like residents at chinese laundry that are the first to jump on anyone pirating cuz they buy everything from beatport and are ultra cool and music 'purists' but dont know what a cadence is or anything other then techno, and just unfortunate to not break into the bigtime yet oh boohoohoo, then 2 seconds later will copy their hdd over for the first chick that bats her eyelids while .

but please try to own the songs that u play at a set when u get something that pays u to play. but be careful, buying vinyls is addictive and will cost u a good $200 a week. yet if u want something that isnt played by every second schmuck and will make you a bit more unique, go to spank and just bluntly ask, hey can i have something unique in the *blah genre* they will be great, among many other record stores which will throw u a bunch of music to listen to before you buy.
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Yes but I'm sure you don't go to a boarding school... Anyways, I'm working over the holidays, but I'll probly only manage to save 800-1K over 2 weeks (if I spend nothing)

wow... u get 800-1 k to spend in 2 weeks? dude..u gotta hook us up man...never knew that you could get that kinda money to spend while in school man. heha
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubbyBoy

wow... u get 800-1 k to spend in 2 weeks? dude..u gotta hook us up man...never knew that you could get that kinda money to spend while in school man. heha

Drugs......its always drugs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mercury-Drinker +

but still...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggdoggz

Dont become one of the totally 'awesome' djs like residents at chinese laundry that are the first to jump on anyone pirating cuz they buy everything from beatport and are ultra cool and music 'purists' but dont know what a cadence is or anything other then techno, and just unfortunate to not break into the bigtime yet oh boohoohoo, then 2 seconds later will copy their hdd over for the first chick that bats her eyelids while .

Nice generalization there mate - .

Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,825 Posts
Don't by shit gear to begin with, you will just be forced to upgrade later on down the path and it all holds its value fairly werll so resale is good.

Also, don't download tunes of limewire. Buy your tunes off websites such as beatport.com, junodownload.co.uk, djdownload.com etc. Support the artists you love by bnuying their tunes not stealing them
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
Zodiac +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Thats really good advice there... limewire is shit quality and really hard to find 320kbps or better. also most of the songs are premixed which is useless in the most part for properly djing.
Dont become one of the totally 'awesome' djs like residents at chinese laundry that are the first to jump on anyone pirating cuz they buy everything from beatport and are ultra cool and music 'purists' but dont know what a cadence is or anything other then techno, and just unfortunate to not break into the bigtime yet oh boohoohoo, then 2 seconds later will copy their hdd over for the first chick that bats her eyelids while

you're a fuckwit.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
generalninja +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

My fav is the part about the awesome guys at chinese laundry.
JBanga +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubbyBoy

I meant, I COULD save 800-1K IF I was working.. IF...
JBanga +

Times thanked
<
Also, would it be worth buying a CDJ 1000 Mk1? or not really? please give reasons
shaggdoggz +

Times thanked
<
stirring shit up n generalizing is half the fun of the internet... also ripping into competing groups, laundry n subies hold the biggest fri nights atm but lately its becoming more open competition with break inn not a solid fixture, and subies downsizing, there was a time where moulin rouges weekly was a force to be respected but things are rapidly changing and there is a spot for a new solid fri night to take place imo.
phresh +

MemberID: Crab

Times thanked
<
better off getting new CDJ 800's, dont bother with 200's (the flimsy jog wheels get annoying), & 1000's are a waste of money for a practice/home set up.

i wouldnt buy CDJ1000 MK 2/1 cause theyre 2nd hand & dont play mp3 files- but thats just me.
JBanga +

Times thanked
<
trueee, I dunno about 800s aye, they look decent but dont have several features that the 1000s has
generalninja +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

stirring shit up n generalizing is half the fun of the internet... also ripping into competing groups, laundry n subies hold the biggest fri nights atm but lately its becoming more open competition with break inn not a solid fixture, and subies downsizing, there was a time where moulin rouges weekly was a force to be respected but things are rapidly changing and there is a spot for a new solid fri night to take place imo.

im starting to regular fridays at candys.... meh, its the best i could do.
GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<

Quote:

trueee, I dunno about 800s aye, they look decent but dont have several features that the 1000s has

name those several features, and also why do u need them. the 800 is great, especially for home use. i think if you are just starting out, the 800 is great, feels just like a 1000. but really its up 2 u if u wanna pay more money.
Zodiac +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

and you're an expert on patronage at all nightclubs across the city are you?

Fucking douche.
phresh +

MemberID: Crab

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrEnNo

name those several features, and also why do u need them. the 800 is great, especially for home use. i think if you are just starting out, the 800 is great, feels just like a 1000. but really its up 2 u if u wanna pay more money.

QFT. makes no difference to me playing out.
donks +

Times thanked
<
if anyones got some mk1's or 2's to sell im trying to find some!
Zodiac +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by donks

if anyones got some mk1's or 2's to sell im trying to find some!

PM Leigh_Roy
djtoastytraxx +

On the board walk......

Times thanked
<
F*k not another thread on these, im sure there was another thread on these.
donks +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac

PM Leigh_Roy

thanks mate
monts +

Times thanked
<
apparntly the mk2 dont hold the cds after u eject, and the screen on the jog wheel is harder to see, as well as the main screen having less detail
mixing the beats 4 the peeps.
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
So your able to buy 1000mk3s but not putting any reseach into them while doing year 12 but using an excuess that you live in a boarding house so you cant buy your beats your a wanker mate

Quote:

I'm a faggot

CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
ok that was a little bith harsh but I WANT MY FUCKEN DECKS BACK AND IT PISSES ME OFF THAT OTHER PEOPLE WHO STEAL THERE MUSIC GET THERES

Quote:

I'm a faggot

« Previous Thread Next Thread »