The DJ Booth

2 mixers in mind - November 1st price jump.

Tools
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<
2 mixers in mind - November 1st price jump.
I apologize for bringing this topic up, but iím seeking any advice on purchasing a djm 800 or (concerning) ddm4000 which I have played with both in stores.

I have to say unfortunately I have been only mixing for 4 months, on the equipment of cdj400's, a TT and a djm400. It's difficult to say at the moment but when I am ready in future I do plan to try out work in both party and venue areas.

A major reason for upgrading is primarily for ease of use with effects, as at the moment I wish I could have quick manual control over filters ect. Sounds like iím forking out way too much though I want to make the right decision.

Relating to the price rise, I think all equipment will jump by 25% after November 1st because of our dollar dropping. I called one of the dj stores and he told me he could do a "much better price" for the djm 800 instead of their retail at $1790, if I purchased it before november 1st he would tell me. Would it be by anything much?

Any recommendations or advice would be a great help, thanks.
dudu +

Times thanked
<
Do you like mixing? Are you going to try stick with it? If so go and buy the thing mate.
Lloyd C +

Times thanked
<
The djm800 is the better built mixer. If your planning on taking it on the road to parties and other gigs then get the 800.

If its going to stay at home majority of the time, then get the 4000.

Both mixers have similar features, one is built much more solid than the other (pioneer is solid as!)

Since your still learning, the ~$1000 difference in price could go to buying tunes which i would consider to be much more valuable.
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
In Brisbane the 4000 is on sale for $560 and the 800 for $1200... Lightsounds I think, they must be relocating? I'd go the whole hog and get the 800 - surely expect it to last much longer
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
onpoint +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd C

Since your still learning, the ~$1000 difference in price could go to buying tunes which i would consider to be much more valuable.

Definitely agree with this...
although each to their own.

Do you really need the mixer, or are you mixing just fine with the one you've got, how much better is getting the 800 going to improve your mixing? If it's just for the effects, why not look at an effects unit, much cheaper way to go, and money left over for tunes.

I think its common for people when they are starting out to want to upgrade quickly, I know i did at around the 6 month mark, but had a think about if I really needed to and decided to stick with my Nuo3.

If you needed to use more channels, and you think it will really improve your mixing then by all means go for it, but in the end if it is really just to have the "standard" then I don't see the point IMO.

/ramble
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
i got an ecler nuo 4 & efx500

all for under $1000 and better then either the above options imo
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

i got an ecler nuo 4 & efx500

all for under $1000 and better then either the above options imo

I would agree too.

To the OP, you do realise you will be over the effects after about a month or two? Don't buy the mixer just because it has effects, you will be more than fine without them and wont use them if you have them anyway, especially at home. I think it's good to get to know Pioneers effects, as they are at most places you would play out, but you don't need a Pioneer to do this. Just hire one for a day, play on it all day, mess with it, get your shit down and move on.

P.S. What type of music are you playing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Good Doctor

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

Alex36 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC

I would agree too.

To the OP, you do realise you will be over the effects after about a month or two? Don't buy the mixer just because it has effects, you will be more than fine without them and wont use them if you have them anyway, especially at home. I think it's good to get to know Pioneers effects, as they are at most places you would play out, but you don't need a Pioneer to do this. Just hire one for a day, play on it all day, mess with it, get your shit down and move on.

P.S. What type of music are you playing?

I'm primarly mixing hard dance/hard trance as I love the genre, electro house is the secondary preference genre.

I see many club hard trance dj's use the highpass filter on the 800 and on most occasions it sounds fantastic. I'm very keen to have the flexability to do this with just one rotary, though I see what you mean when you say i'll be over the effects soon enough, just cannot get it to sink in just yet.
Im heading over to store dj tomorrow to do a final play with both mixers with a cd of mine, I have around 3 days to make a decision.
Appriciating the feedback.
dthomas22 +

ohh its..

Times thanked
<
DJ warehouse's melb store are having a sale pretty soon i'd give them a call and ask when it is
beattun +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex36

I'm primarly mixing hard dance/hard trance as I love the genre, electro house is the secondary preference genre.

please dont buy either mixer, and sell any music equipment you currently have
Ham and eggs - A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
shut it retard.

-----

i would stay with the same mixer for at least a year... there's nothing wrong with yours.

p.s. when our dollar went from 75c to almost 1:1 there was no price reduction in equipment or vinyl... so keep that in mind... but if stores are saying they're going to up their prices by 25% then so be it... but i'd still say don't rush.. spend the money on music or a sampler or something like that.
step on my cubes.
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

p.s. when our dollar went from 75c to almost 1:1 there was no price reduction in equipment or vinyl...

shock horror! double standards when it comes to stores pricing their already expensive wares?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

generalninja +

Times thanked
<
stupid shops... any excuse to bump up prices. even the wholesalers are doing it.
Callmefish +

Times thanked
<
Hey I purchased the DDM 4000 from the melb DJ warehouse store about a month ago when it was for sale at $500. and it is a beautiful mixer and i love it and I am still a beginer and have only been mixin a few moths. I've done about 3 gigs with it and i reckon its tough enough but hey it still wont stand up to the djm 800 but hey for the price theyre beautiful.

I have spoken to many stores around the place regarding speakers and they all saying buy before november 1 becuause the price will jump, but im still not sure if theyre just tryna make a sale or what???
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by generalninja

stupid shops... any excuse to bump up prices. even the wholesalers are doing it.

If they have to get new shipments in from overseas, then the prices are going to be jacked! Easy as that. It's nearly $2AU for $1US. It's simple mathematics. It costs twice as much to get in, so they are going to have to charge twice as much.

Have a look at the new macbook. I know it's a new model, but in The States it's around $1300US. In Australia, they are going for $2000AU. BUT, I just did the exchange, $1300US is $2114AU, so Apple are loosing money. This would be the same with every other product that has to be shipped in.

Don't blame the supplier, blame the dollar.

Quote:

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

A major reason for upgrading is primarily for ease of use with effects, as at the moment I wish I could have quick manual control over filters ect. Sounds like iím forking out way too much though I want to make the right decision.

can you give me a serious and honest answer as to why you want FX on your mixer?
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dthomas22

DJ warehouse's melb store are having a sale pretty soon i'd give them a call and ask when it is

I can't remember when the sale is.. but the full price list comes out tomorrow.

I went in there the other day to look at what mixers they have as I was looking at getting one and waiting for the sale list to come out, ended up grabbing there last Korg Km-402 for $650, $100 off what they normally sell for and like $200 off what Store Dj sell em for.. so I was happy with that
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
Sales are a load of bullcrap. Any price they have at a sale if you go in there anytime during the year and offer them that same amount they will take it.
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

can you give me a serious and honest answer as to why you want FX on your mixer?

In my non gig experienced mind, is to enhance my music listening experience and entertainment value when mixing, it's use also interestes me when im listening to other dj's in clubs how they use efx. However my mate made it clear that sucessful party's don't need anything special, even the mixing can be average as party people only care about the song choice.

Quote:

i would stay with the same mixer for at least a year... there's nothing wrong with yours.

This is the most logical decision. Although I decieded to get the ddm for 500, It has it's ups and downs. I'll give it a few months. After using the effects on the 800 the ddm noticably has lower intensity efx, but do the job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callmefish

Hey I purchased the DDM 4000 from the melb DJ warehouse store about a month ago when it was for sale at $500. and it is a beautiful mixer and i love it and I am still a beginer and have only been mixin a few moths. I've done about 3 gigs with it and i reckon its tough enough but hey it still wont stand up to the djm 800 but hey for the price theyre beautiful.

Im a little concerned about the eq's atm, they doesn't seem as definate or powerfull sounding when you turn them as opposed to my djm 400, maybe it's just a getting use to thing. Good to hear your enjoying it.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

In my non gig experienced mind, is to enhance my music listening experience and entertainment value when mixing, it's use also interestes me when im listening to other dj's in clubs how they use efx. However my mate made it clear that sucessful party's don't need anything special, even the mixing can be average as party people only care about the song choice.

I'd listen to your mate.

The time and money spent on digging for tunes and getting to know your tunes will forever more outweigh time and $$$ spent on the cheap thrills of FX

you haven't even learnt what you can do with 2 tunes and a mixer yet. think about nailing that before you seek the enhancement of FX.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
OZilla +

Times thanked
<
retail is always a rip off

look on ebay or somewhere else online
Let the wookie win.
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

I'd listen to your mate.

The time and money spent on digging for tunes and getting to know your tunes will forever more outweigh time and $$$ spent on the cheap thrills of FX

you haven't even learnt what you can do with 2 tunes and a mixer yet. think about nailing that before you seek the enhancement of FX.

^ Realistic statement there. After a month i'd likely find myself moving back to the djm 400 and focus on more important things to learn. Learning from a mistake but I understand better what I should get sorted out as a beginner dj. Thanks guys.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

This is the most logical decision. Although I decieded to get the ddm for 500, It has it's ups and downs. I'll give it a few months. After using the effects on the 800 the ddm noticably has lower intensity efx, but do the job.

keep the DJM. when the POS falls apart you can keep using your old mixer until you have saved up enough to waste more money on gear.
step on my cubes.
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

keep the DJM. when the POS falls apart you can keep using your old mixer until you have saved up enough to waste more money on gear.

lol, I understand.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
the problem is, i don't think you do
step on my cubes.
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<
I know what I have done wrong, Where's the most common website to sell second hand dj gear? Do many people still buy dj gear off the traiding post, or is ebay the best option.
paul master +

broken beat

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppuspears

Sales are a load of bullcrap. Any price they have at a sale if you go in there anytime during the year and offer them that same amount they will take it.

not all sales, the sale just gone at djwarehouse on the weekend had heaps of gear below cost.
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<
Check the buying and selling forum on ITM. I'm sure Bracko will help you out over there

Quote:

Alex36 +

Times thanked
<
Ok, cool. The restrictions in the buying/selling forum area won't let me sell because of the post count and member duration.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
correct... like the guidelines say... don't come crying to me... i can't help you
step on my cubes.
DJ_Warehouse +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dthomas22

Saturday November 8. Sydney sale was massive and Melbourne's looking to go the same way. Hit up the DJ Warehouse website for the sale list.
www.djwarehouse.com.au

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts

Quote:

I apologize for bringing this topic up, but iím seeking any advice on purchasing

do you actually speak like this is real life? if so you have really good grammar and its really off putting.
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_karma

do you actually speak like this is real life? if so you have really good grammar and its really off putting.

Well it makes for a better first impresion than something like, "Dun wanna start nttin ba, Pepz halp me im stuckzor in thinkin 4 mixers".

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts
bahaha true. and thats where choppy comes in.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »