The DJ Booth

Begginer dj.Wondering what kind dj package ,mixer etc i should buy? $1200-2000

Tools
bstew3 +

Times thanked
<
Begginer dj.Wondering what kind dj package ,mixer etc i should buy? $1200-2000
Begginer DJ, just wondering what type of DJ package i should buy or mixer and cd player etc. Im willing to spend about $1200-2000. Thanks
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
Do you have cans and speakers? Whats the full list of shit you need mate?

Sam.
bstew3 +

Times thanked
<
Yeh got cans and speakers. Just need mixer and decks.
merv_clarke +

Times thanked
<
$2000

If you have a decent laptop or computer then

Second hand 1200's max you should pay is $800 should come loaded with carts

Serato Scratch live- $700

Cheap mixer $200

This way you can learn to mix with vinyl you can then use serato so can use mp3's and don't have to buy expensive records. Upgrade your mixer later when you have more cash
Upgrade your mixer after
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
for 2 1200 you could get 2 Stanton C.313's and a Smaller numark mixer, for 2000 you could get 2 cdj200s and..a DXM09 or the vestax vmc if its on specail still?.

Are you after any specific brands? want better decks or mixer?

Sam.
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
could also go with a pack, pioneer do one with 2 cdj200's and a djm400 mixer for 2kish, numark do one for like 800, stanton do one for 1100ish, they are fine if all your doing is learning the basics, hell i bought cheap gear and slowly upgraded, dont tall under the illusion you need a xone 92 and cdj1000mk3's..

Sam
bstew3 +

Times thanked
<
I like the pioneer stuff but just want really whats best suited for a begginer. Probs better decks or wateva.
bstew3 +

Times thanked
<
What about these packages?

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...uct_id=1194706

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...uct_id=1194707

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...uct_id=1194380

Thanks.
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
I would steer clear of the first 2, behringer mixers, if your fresh then dont get into behringer gear.

The third one is good.

Sam
seth111 +

Times thanked
<
Do you really need to buy new....... Secondhand 1000's can be had for under 2000 with enough left over for a cheap mixer.
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
do you really need cdj1000's when starting out?
skills +

Times thanked
<
pioneers 100%
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
oh yeah, you cant actually dj without pioneer its a proven fact, anything else isnt actually real, its an illusion.
Lloyd C +

Times thanked
<
djwarehouse has a special going with 2XCDJ800's and one of those behringer DJM800 copies for about $1800.
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
buy 2 seperate decks and another mixer, dont get behringer mate.

Sam.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Decks is a great idea if you already have a laptop to use with Serato...learning the hands on feel of vinyl is way cooler than mixing CDs!

If not, shell out the extra few hundred and get CDJ 400's and any old two channel piece of shit mixer...the fewer bells and whistles/effects etc the better...they just distract from the learning process of mixing.

Quality decks/CDJs, quality headphones, shitty mixer you can upgrade later.
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
as long as your mixer has cue, bass eq knob, xfader, your sweet.

Sam
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
^^^ Exactly!
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Architect

could also go with a pack, pioneer do one with 2 cdj200's and a djm400 mixer for 2kish, numark do one for like 800, stanton do one for 1100ish, they are fine if all your doing is learning the basics, hell i bought cheap gear and slowly upgraded, dont tall under the illusion you need a xone 92 and cdj1000mk3's..

Sam

fuck that. weren't you asking about what gear to get like.. a week ago?

2000 clams for a set up that isn't going to last any decent amount of time and with bad re-sale is not good advice. so i'd strongly suggest not getting any of those packs - especially the numark or stanton where you're basically throwing your money away.

for beginners - get second hand gear that you can resell for a similar price if you upgrade or give up. technics 1200's will always resell for what you payed, effectively meaning that if you buy them now, don't like djing, and sell them - you've payed nothing for it. same goes for cdj1000's.

if you really don't want to go second hand, at least stretch to something decent (cdj400's, st-150 turntables)

don't buy crap gear that will shit you off while you're using it and shit you off even more when you're over it.
newitt +

FEEEDDD MEEEE!!!!!

Times thanked
<
^ Exactly right
Spinfast +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

oh yeah, you cant actually dj without pioneer its a proven fact, anything else isnt actually real, its an illusion.

Wtf? are you an idiot?...

Never listen to ppl like this when asking for help with your gear... To start with you want a nice cheap set up that you can upgrade when you need to, or if you have the money and your 100% sure your not going to be like a large % of people and give up on it you could buy some quality cd players for turntables and a crap mixer so that you only have to upgrade the mixer down the track.

Im currently selling what was my first set up on ebay at the moment for a pretty nice price, I sent you a pm with info mate.
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
*sigh*
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
<
a few small words of advice..

if u do buy turntables, please dont buy belt driven ones..make sure that they are direct drive....

please choose a specific figure, or else ur possibilities are very many... also please specify if u want to get brand new or second hand...

i would recommend that you spend more money on the decks....

either go for

2 denon dns 3500's (there is a pair on sale in the buy and sell forums..check it) should be about 1600 and then buy a mixer with the rest of ur budget
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=244175

or

get 2 cdj 400's and another mixer.. please stay clear of the 200's

or

get 2 second hand cdj 1000 mk2's... and a mixer

note.. i keep saying "and a mixer". simply because when it comes to mixers, your choices are endless depending upon ur budget.... and you are more likely to go through a lot of different mixers before you find one that really gets you panting... i have personally gone through abt 10 or 12 different mixers before i settled on the evo5 and a couple of rotaries... i found that i kept overgrowing the mixers and wanted more out of them....e.g. the evo 5 can be used with traktor etc and hence it was a logical choice...also the knobs are bigger and similar to the rotaries(albeit not as sturdy cos the rotaries feel awesome!!) ..

personally i would recommend looking at the 2 denons in the buy and sell..or getting 2 second hand cdj's... (there are a few on ebay..check it!)
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
buy a shitload of tunes first
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Fig Smiff +

Digital Freak

Times thanked
<
hey man i started out with 2 cdj400s and a djm 400 mixer and got it for $2050 really good price.
midtdk +

Viking 2.0

Times thanked
<
After deciding that I wanted to try and see if DJing was something for me I sat down and spent a lot of time reading review after review, opinion after opinion and ended up deciding that I wanted 2xCDJ 400. I wasnt going to go down the vinyl pad, but wouldnt mind starting out by learning how to mix CD before I would/will eventually go all digital. As for the mixer I read heaps of reviews again, but since I wasnt going to spend alot of money on my first mixer I decided not to go to any stores and try the gear out before I bought it. Despite peoples opinion on Behringer I went with their DDM4000. I bought the mixer first and was going to get the CDJs afterwards. The mixer's headphone jack somehow broke before I managed to buy a single CDJ. So that was of course a bit of a turn off especially since I had already ordered some Behringer Truths active speakers (they havent let me down once). As replacement mixer (yeah I thought I could fix the headphone issue myself, so opened the mixer and ended up completely braking the damn thing) I ended up getting a Numark DXM06 (which sort of was my first choice in the beginning but then I got all excited about all the options on the DDM4000, which I of course wouldnt have been able to fully use/understand in the beginning anyways) that had everything I would initially need to make a decision as to whether this was for me or not. So yeah all up my initial setup ended up costing me

2xCDJ = 1600 AUD
1 set of Behringer Truths = 550 AUD (as far as I remember)
1 Numark DXM06 = 300 AUD
1 Pioneer HDJ1000 = 120 AUD
1 set of speaker cables = 50 AUD
1 IKEA bar table = 170 AUD
1 set of speaker stands = 35 AUD (off some guy on ebay)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
All up ~ 2800 AUD

(Didnt include the lost cost of the darn Behringer Mixer)
Now almost 1 year later Ive found out that this is something that I really enjoy and I want to upgrade my mixer (A&H, Ecler... ??) and add an additional CDJ to little bedroom setup. So yeah my advice is def spend as much as you think you can afford and are willing to put into this, set a budget and find something within that price range. If in doubt about a certain piece of equipment ask the forum for advice, dont ask them to put together a complete setup for you.

End ramble
ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<
dj warehouse got one of their major sales on wednesday and cdj 200's are $360ea
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
This is going to be fucking epic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by louislogic

fuck that. weren't you asking about what gear to get like.. a week ago?

2000 clams for a set up that isn't going to last any decent amount of time and with bad re-sale is not good advice. so i'd strongly suggest not getting any of those packs - especially the numark or stanton where you're basically throwing your money away.

for beginners - get second hand gear that you can resell for a similar price if you upgrade or give up. technics 1200's will always resell for what you payed, effectively meaning that if you buy them now, don't like djing, and sell them - you've payed nothing for it. same goes for cdj1000's.

if you really don't want to go second hand, at least stretch to something decent (cdj400's, st-150 turntables)

don't buy crap gear that will shit you off while you're using it and shit you off even more when you're over it.

Yes I was asking what to buy a week ago, a HIGH END mixer, and mistake me if i am wrong but doesnt this guy have 1200-2k to spend? 2 new cdj1000's and a high end mixer new would NOT be 1200-2k Ive had cheaper gear before and know about the cheaper gear, its a fucking forum dont get so high and mighty. I spent arround 2k for my first set up, it lasted me 5 years, a fucking behringer dx626 and 2 numark axis 2 turntables, speakers, mic, headphones, at the time its all i could afford and contrary to popular belief they lasted me ages, in fact they are still working I just personally wanted to upgrade.

Spinfast sorry my sarcasm wasent toned down enough for you, if you couldent work out that i was saying you dont need pionner gear for your first setup as its not the best and ONLY good dj gear as some will protest...well.

I dont know if its just me, but allot of you are all like fucking nah get the best gear or get second hand. These cheaper packs are fine seriously, after 5 years my little setup has paid itself of sevenfold, i never got sick of them, just got interested in adding effects and sampling, had some cash and went to a semi-decent setup.

bstew3, dont get trapped thinking you need to spend heaps of cash to get a decent system, or go second hand, if you buy second hand and its out of warranty and something fucks out you will be pissed, im not saying its not going to happen, but IMO i wouldent risk it. Any cheaper pack is seriously fine for learning, just dont get the behringer, you dont need a rock solid high end system to learn on, no one does, anyone who says you do is a fucking idiot. If you have 2 decks you can cue and pitch bend on, and a mixer with the features i said before thats all you need to learn the basics.

bstew3, good luck mate, let us know how it goes.
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

This is going to be fucking epic...
its a fucking forum dont get so high and mighty.

it is a forum - so don't take what I said personally. i just see a lot of bad advice given to noobs. i don't have any problem with you.. just thought your advice was crap.

Quote:

I dont know if its just me, but allot of you are all like fucking nah get the best gear or get second hand.

maybe theres a reason for that?

Quote:

If you have 2 decks you can cue and pitch bend on, and a mixer with the features i said before thats all you need to learn the basics.

thats still true. midtdk is on the money though. i'd say his setup (CDJ400, numark DXM06) is the benchmark for a beginner setup that you won't be wasting any cash on. cdj400's will last you forever, the numark is a solid little mixer.

either way. I have a friend who decided to get into djing recently. he bought some second hand technics and serato and used his existing laptop. now he's decided he's over it after about a year and started looking to sell his decks - guess what. he's actually going to get more than he payed for them. so he's had top end gear for an entire year and when he sells he'l have a couple hundred more than what he started with.

compare that to someone spending 1000+ on a shitty setup and either not being able to sell it when they're over it cause no-one wants shitty second hand gear, or replacing everything to get good gear when they realise they're into it and you can see why my mate is laughing.
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
Yeah, i see your point mate, just shits me when all thats recomended by allot of people is the best of the best or second hand, like id love a new ferrari, and a second one would be cool, but i could buy a brand new mercedes for the same price with the security of warranty, and hasent been fucked with, still no ferrari, but its on the way, like see what i mean? all im saying is it can de daunting when your new to the world of DJ and you cant afford the best gear, there is nothing wrong with cheaper stuff for learning on to do simple stuff, sure if you want high quality signal for high end PA systems, looping, smapling, fx, midi, ableton etc then the high end gear becomes mandatory, its an expensive hobby and beware of that too bstew3, if i had my time again, i would buy the best i can at the time, having said that, i dont regret my choices.

Sam
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
wow...
step on my cubes.
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Havn't read the thread, it might have been said before, but

I'd recommend some 2nd hand technics 1210s, or top end stantons, and a good quality mixer.

Trust me, the last thing you want is shit breaking on you when your dead-keen to have a mix !~

back in the day i bought some crap turntables and a dodgy mixer, it was basically a waste of money and caused me to punch a wall and hurt my hand,

NO one wants a sore hand

Peace crack heads
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
I dont think anyone is saying buy crap, just cheaper stuff without the bells and whistles.
maaaa +

Times thanked
<
the 200's for $360 on djwarehouse is a STEAL. you get them for about 350-400 second hand.. if you're starting out i'd recommend them as you can basically buy them new and if you have to sell them you'll get all your money back.
bstew3 +

Times thanked
<
Thanks for the advice ppls. I still havent exactly decided what i wanted yet. But i will post the outcome soon.
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
dont do what i did... got suckered in by the spinny platter on the Denon s3500s. dont get me wrong, great decks to play on (a tad unreliable however) but i really shouldve started smaller. got the decks for about $1300 each (ouch), so i only had enough cash left over for a shitty behringer 2 channel mixer. the cdj400 pack seems pretty good, however the 200s going for that price at djwarehouse... its almost like u cant afford not to take that offer...
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
maaaa +

Times thanked
<
yeah i'd take the deal, then you can put a bit more money into a better mixer/tunes/towards speakers
Samtastic +

Times thanked
<
solid advice:
$2000

If you have a decent laptop or computer then

Second hand 1200's max you should pay is $800 should come loaded with carts

Serato Scratch live- $700

Cheap mixer $200

This way you can learn to mix with vinyl you can then use serato so can use mp3's and don't have to buy expensive records. Upgrade your mixer later when you have more cash
Upgrade your mixer after

that;s what i'd do. or get CDJ 200s instead of 1200s if you really want the Pioneer gear.

and you should also look into Traktor Scratch as well as Serato.

fun times
acoustinaut +

:interstitial funk thief:

Times thanked
<
if you're really serious you need a suitcase headunit setup IMO

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instr...-206839722.htm

j_hunter +

Times thanked
<
Just starting out as well - saw this thread so I didn't need to make my own

I ordered 2 x Pioneer CDJ-200s and a Numark DXM06 taking in all the advice from this thread, the fact I don't want 2nd hand, and my budget.

... I've got Logitech z5500s for speakers and Sennheiser HD595s for cans. Will those do for now?

Cheers
maaaa +

Times thanked
<
yes. have fun. start collecting your music, and just muck around with everything!

most people say learn to beatmatch first, i don't mix regularly so i'm shit at it but i still think it sounds alright because i really like the songs i play. basically have fun and you'll get better with experience.
YESYO +

Times thanked
<
im looking at getting 2 x CDJ400 and a DDM4000 or maybe a DJM400 for my first setup.
but i also feel abit like im setting my sights abit high.....??

Last edited by YESYO: 14-Mar-09 at 08:19pm

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_hunter

Just starting out as well - saw this thread so I didn't need to make my own

I ordered 2 x Pioneer CDJ-200s and a Numark DXM06 taking in all the advice from this thread, the fact I don't want 2nd hand, and my budget.

... I've got Logitech z5500s for speakers and Sennheiser HD595s for cans. Will those do for now?

Cheers

as soon as you can get better speakers.

spend the rest on music. don't steal music because god will cut your cock off or hack out your giney, either way, don't mess with god and APRA
step on my cubes.
Fig Smiff +

Digital Freak

Times thanked
<
download as much music as you can fuck the artist haha yer there good but screw spending money on music as long as you have some alright speakers.
maaaa +

Times thanked
<
^ waits for flame.
j_hunter +

Times thanked
<
cheers guys

« Previous Thread Next Thread »