The DJ Booth

DJ ethics - a few nuggets of knowledge

Tools
b_bop +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by liseyt

I own a few records like that. I'll still tell people what the tracks are if they ask for the names. Good luck to them if they can find those tracks. I'm confident that I'll still rock the dancefloor, and if they can too then kudos to them. I got into djing to share the music I love with people, not compete. Fuck, I didn't even write those tunes, what gives me the right to prevent others from discovering the producer who wrote such an awesome track in the first place?!

Thankyou.

Look I think the whole "battle" scenario with "crews" and "biters" and secret weapon bomb records is distinctly juvenille and that's why it is hard to understand it at all as a grown adult, let alone reconcile it as a behaviour other adults may continue to engage in.

Young kids are always out to prove something because they are trying to establish an identity that even they aren't convinced of, so they err on the side of over confidence. For an adult to seemingly not grow out of this phase ... well I wouldn't be rushing to celebrate that as a "culture" put it that way.
Spinning Half +

gogo

Times thanked
<
Nicely Put!
http://soundcloud.com/spinning-half/night-fishing

soundlcoud
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_bop

Thankyou.

Look I think the whole "battle" scenario with "crews" and "biters" and secret weapon bomb records is distinctly juvenille and that's why it is hard to understand it at all as a grown adult, let alone reconcile it as a behaviour other adults may continue to engage in.

Young kids are always out to prove something because they are trying to establish an identity that even they aren't convinced of, so they err on the side of over confidence. For an adult to seemingly not grow out of this phase ... well I wouldn't be rushing to celebrate that as a "culture" put it that way.

read this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Culture.../dp/0140237631

watch this : http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...94575841814301

understand the cultures being referenced before you dismiss the notions as juvenile, simply because they don't pander to your delicate sensibilities as an "adult".

These concepts stem from social and political climates you can thank your lucky stars you haven't had to be a part of.

The bottom line is that it's all still about having fun ... but raising the bar instead of simply handing it to the next contender.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met

Last edited by Funkedub: 16-Jun-09 at 09:16pm

pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

I think a lot of people miss the point about the exclusivity of a track and how it's rooted in very different clubbing and DJ culture than we have today.

Once someone knows what a track is they can go and get it and play it elsewhere ... if they don't know what the track is, but they know you play it, then if they want to hear it they'll have to come and see you play.

DJing is all PLURd out now

If a track is exclusive how the fuck can anyone else get it ? I know the names of at least 10 dubplates and special remixes that Andy C is rocking, but it doesn't mean i can get them !

I don't care if Chase and Status play 10 of their own unreleased songs in a 15 song set, you know why ? Because they are THEIR songs. Its like Daftpunk, their songs arn't "big secrets", but everyone goes because they put on an awesome show and it is nice to pay homeage to such talented producers /performers

Imagine if i bought all the copies of "Take me away" for example, then got heaps of cred for playing that song even though just by pure chance i stumbled onto it before anyone else

This guy is a fucking halfwit, honestly he said how DJing wasn't a choice for him so obviously he was as dumb as fuck and just knew someone in a record store who hooked him up with some sweet whitelabels, and then he got a little bit of fame, cooked his brain into thinking he somehow made those songs, and now is pissed off because no one will book him because he is a 45 year old loser with a bunch of old records and a bad attitude

SUCK MY DICK YOU OLD **** !
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

Thankyou.

The culture you are dissing laid the foundations for what we have today.
I hope you are happy with the generic style that I assume you share with the majority.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT

I

This guy is a fucking halfwit, honestly he said how DJing wasn't a choice for him so obviously he was as dumb as fuck and just knew someone in a record store who hooked him up with some sweet whitelabels, and then he got a little bit of fame, cooked his brain into thinking he somehow made those songs, and now is pissed off because no one will book him because he is a 45 year old loser with a bunch of old records and a bad attitude

SUCK MY DICK YOU OLD **** !

omg

hey funke thanks for that scratch avi

Can you stream full movies and tv shows on that? Not a fan of downloading
http://jayjsmooth.blogspot.com/
www.soundcloud.com/jayjsmooth

Last edited by johnjay: 16-Jun-09 at 08:30pm

Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
^^^

link should be straight up streaming ... no DL to be done ...

funkedub dot com

b_bop +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

The culture you are dissing laid the foundations for what we have today.
I hope you are happy with the generic style that I assume you share with the majority.

The foundations of playing music for others based on the environment, culture, and the technology available at the time? You're a few thousand years too late on that one I'm afraid.
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<

Quote:

You're a few thousand years too late on that one I'm afraid.

This bit.
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
Yeah you guys are right, finding a song or knowing the right people, then keeping it to yourself. That is the mark of a good dj. If it was your own track if someone asked what it was you'd tell them in a second. Why shouldn't you do the same for the person who is making you look good. I for one am glad this practice is dead/dying.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
Sometimes I find a bomb and I don't go out telling everyone that I've got this great track... but if I throw it on a demo or play it out, it'll be on the tracklist or someone can ask.
I think there's still a little exclusivity in vinyl - if only because you aren't buying through the usual channels, thus aren't hearing/buying the same tracks as everyone else.

As for mixing your own way - I think it's massively important, and has been very downplayed by alot of the guys that I hear playing out - I'd like to think that I've got a bit of a sound, even if I've only been forbout 18 months.
palaeo-tech +

: is not here.

Times thanked
<
Perlon. Vinyl only and always the goods. I'm always happy to buy pretty well anything they put out and it's nice to have tracks that few others will have.
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

I think there's still a little exclusivity in vinyl - if only because you aren't buying through the usual channels, thus aren't hearing/buying the same tracks as everyone else.

As for mixing your own way - I think it's massively important, and has been very downplayed by alot of the guys that I hear playing out - I'd like to think that I've got a bit of a sound, even if I've only been forbout 18 months.

Well said. I have some cd playing friends that seem to delight in raping my vinyl collection for ideas.
I let them do it because they are friends, but I lose a bit of respect for them when they decide to come over for a mix
and play the digital versions of tracks that they 'discovered' in my crate
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<
Thread now about CDJs vs vinyl

And it took 4 whole pages
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Sometimes I find a bomb and I don't go out telling everyone that I've got this great track... but if I throw it on a demo or play it out, it'll be on the tracklist or someone can ask.

When i find a track i dont immediately go and announce it to everyone, with the sheer volume of tracks out there you can find tracks early. It's only when they make it into someones top 10 on beatport that everyone really gets them.
While i wouldnt say i have my own style of mixing, i like to think that on the rare occasions i play, that i play stuff that isnt played as much. Not that i dont play popular tunes, just that i'd prefer to play stuff i havent heard out much.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

It's not a matter of 'conveniently not knowing' - more often then not, I don't know the track's title... but then, I play vinyl.
I'll show you the sleeve if you really want, but more likely I'll say something like "it's the new sampler on Freerange - they release one every 6 months - they're always great!"

hehe yeah i know what you mean man, it's all good like at least you give em a hint or something. digging it up is fun to do! anyway, from my experieces most dudes/chicks (especially) are pretty excited when you ask about their tunes.

in this digital world it's hard to have tracks that will be in some way exclusive to you, so i reckon the best way to do it is make your own remixes, re-edits, bootlegs and what not. DIY!

it might take a bit of extra time and effort but you know.. pimpin ain't easy!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐

Last edited by Spicy: 16-Jun-09 at 11:13pm

Laptopexcursion +

Times thanked
<
there is one positive aspect of keeping tracks secret/exclusive (atleast in the vinyl only days), if it forces them to go out and look for it on their own, and in the process perhaps dig up other "bombs" of their own instead. i think this is lacking today.
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
im so insecure in my choice of medium i need to defend it everytime someone on the internet says something negative about vinyl

i'm seeing an image consultant about it
my PR manager says i'm making great progress
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
I guess i can't relate. Drum and Bass is all about DJing rather than owning good tracks.

Hey mum look at me, I got this track 1 week before everyone, i didn't make it, but i like it alot, and i'm sure other people like it too, do you think they will like me as a result of the flow on effect? pleeeeeeeeasssssseeeeeeeeee say yes.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
what the fuck? i hope you're joking.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
<
Coming up for TLOY Perth:

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
r1val +

Times thanked
<
I'm lol'ing hard at you keyboard warrior DJ's totally not getting what Cosmo is saying here.

the D in DJ stand for Disc, Not digital.

He's talking about buying 8 copies of a found old record, so there's less chance it'll be found by someone else, also covering the label so the track you dug so hard and so long for for isn't ganked by anyone else ..pretty obvious really! and I'm not even a DJ!!

No wonder the dude is jaded when you read what some (ahem) "DJ's" consider the art form to be.
Basic Equipment Crew/Def Wish Cast - Sydney's Finest - All Elements Represent
---------------------------------------
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
bahaha!!

Upcoming:

Sat 16th June : Deepchild (Berlin) @ Barsoma
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign

im so insecure in my choice of medium i need to defend it everytime someone on the internet says something negative about vinyl

that sucks dude. do you need a cuddle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

Fierce_Brosnan +

Times thanked
<
Isn't he just talking about the time and effort DJs used to put into compared to now? I'd feel the same way if I grew up DJing back then.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by r1val

I'm lol'ing hard at you keyboard warrior DJ's totally not getting what Cosmo is saying here.

the D in DJ stand for Disc, Not digital.

He's talking about buying 8 copies of a found old record, so there's less chance it'll be found by someone else, also covering the label so the track you dug so hard and so long for for isn't ganked by anyone else ..pretty obvious really! and I'm not even a DJ!!

No wonder the dude is jaded when you read what some (ahem) "DJ's" consider the art form to be.

i think you totally missed the point of most of this thread, mister keyboard warrior, sir.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Is this thread still heading somewhere...?
Tech-One
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
hey i just had a thought -- do you reckon cosmo did it for extra plublicity? cos look how much he's getting. FUCKLOADS!

good stunt if you ask me.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

Is this thread still heading somewhere...?

Not really no ...........
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
eides +

meow

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy

in this digital world it's hard to have tracks that will be in some way exclusive to you, so i reckon the best way to do it is make your own remixes, re-edits, bootlegs and what not. DIY!

Someone earlier was asking about the positives of today's digitalness. ^^
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr bones

that sucks dude. do you need a cuddle?

naw
i'm gonna front an all 45s mix to sooth myself
Beats
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

naw

you're just bitin' yo

Media Player

funkedub dot com

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Yay this thread has something good in it again!
Tech-One
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

naw

fuck, can you record that shit with a sleeve-cam cut chemist styleeeee?

Quote:

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
considering my lappy is jacked that's probly the only way i could record it..
got nothin on their collection but i might give it a shot anyway..
Beats
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<
sweeeeeeeet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

you're just bitin' yo

product placement or nill.

Quote:

« Previous Thread Next Thread »