Tools
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer

It's all well and good having principles and playing music you love, but if you're playing at a club to an empty floor, it's not going to reflect very well on you now is it? There's just too many variables to be so narrow minded in your set that you won't allow for any variation of different crowds that may turn up on a night.

For sure man, but with the amount of music out there, surely there's stuff you like which would be suitable? A nicely timed cheesy bootleg, an olden day classic, a bit of retro, a different genre altogether to spice things up...if you can't find a track for the right mood which is something you like, you're not trying hard enough.

Basically I have no interest in taking a gig where I'll have to play stuff I don't like...to the point that I plum don't BUY music I don't like, so playing it isn't even an option, so I won't take said gigs. Especially when it was the days of all vinyl, like fuck I'm wasting $20+ on a record I don't love...even the ones you love end up dated and boring pretty quickly.

What I love about DJing is expressing the music I'm passionate about and having it received well by others, so I'd prefer to have only the occassional gig which caters for the music I'll play rather and has people into those kinda sound than play shit I don't like to a crowd I probably don't like either!

Kieren - it sounds to me like you do have a great sense of music, just sometimes the gigs require stuff which you find naff...perhaps I was being a tad harsh, but so long as you're not doing full sets of, say, commercial modern RnB when you can't stand the stuff, all good.

Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
Selector playing shit riddims is shit

end thread.
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
defanutley +

Times thanked
<
there is a way around all of this (hearing the same song twice , three times , or however many bloody times) problem in the same venue,
as a dj you will get use to hearing the same request from people(and bar staff/ promoter)
tell them you will play these tracks for a pint and by the end of you set you wont remember
what youve played and and slurp nether will the punters,
yes you play the same tracks but you will be drunk and these gigs will not be stuck in your memory unlike the evil riverside tune
REMEMBER 1 pint per request (these are the rules)
use it wisely my dj heroes
defanutley +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

For sure man, but with the amount of music out there, surely there's stuff you like which would be suitable? A nicely timed cheesy bootleg, an olden day classic, a bit of retro, a different genre altogether to spice things up...if you can't find a track for the right mood which is something you like, you're not trying hard enough.

I said this much earlier in the thread
chur doi hangis random kiwi
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615

Me and my mates do that to each other all the time or they'll come up and ask "can you play something we can dance to?", I enjoy people taking the piss as long as it's not serious.

pretty common for us to shout "play something good" at our mates

Quote:

Originally Posted by defanutley

there is a way around all of this (hearing the same song twice , three times , or however many bloody times) problem in the same venue,
as a dj you will get use to hearing the same request from people(and bar staff/ promoter)
tell them you will play these tracks for a pint and by the end of you set you wont remember
what youve played and and slurp nether will the punters,
yes you play the same tracks but you will be drunk and these gigs will not be stuck in your memory unlike the evil riverside tune
REMEMBER 1 pint per request (these are the rules)
use it wisely my dj heroes

you're aiming too low there!

gotta be a top shelf shot...my requests are worth more than a pint
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
A Laphroaig straight with a pint of Guinness chaser, now where talking!!!!!!!

"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
carona will do me, but it still has to be a song i like...
Tech-One
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

carona will do me, but it still has to be a song i like...

Ditto...when it comes to requests, I genuinely don't mind filling the ones that I can...it means the person who is asking is edumacated as if I can actually fill his/her request, it means he/she is paying attention to what is being played and has some decent taste in music! If I have the track they want, I love the track they want, so why not play it? Totally makes some persons night, and as has been mentioned, aren't you there to ensure the punters have a good night?

Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
defanutley +

Times thanked
<
see beer fixes everything
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
A good blowjob makes the world turn round
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer

A good blowjob makes the world turn round

Then i might play a shit request....
Tech-One
DJ Hitch +

Times thanked
<
Thebestwannbe, I think that you are missing the point here. Most people on here are pissed off about the fact that DJ's play the same shit over and over again is because most of us cut our teeth under DJ's who would never do that. Clubbing used to be about hearing new shit, and yes you can say oh stop whingeing and blah blah blah but for those of us who spent years perfecting our craft its very insulting to know that a DJ has to play the same shit over and over again. Its lazy. Get out their and explore different genres and new tracks that are coming out. You say that people on here havent worked a club circuit in their lives? Your in South Australia. What great club nights do you have? Most people on here DJ in clubs quite often. You say we knock practices that make good clubs? Been to Moulin Rouge, Sublime, Candy's Apartment? These are some of the better clubs in Sydney and pride themselves on playing new stuff so im not sure what you mean by that
newitt +

FEEEDDD MEEEE!!!!!

Times thanked
<
So...listened to the infamous 'Riverside' last night for the first time (Its a nice rock i live under) to see what the fuss was about....

Fuck me what a pile of shit, was it made with Dance ejay3 or something?
Reminds me of that 'Blow my whistle bitch!' song from years back, ye olde Vl Calais on Chapel St anthem.
https://soundcloud.com/osmiummusic/otun-hangtime
Purpose +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by defanutley

see beer fixes everything

"
Purpose +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by newitt

Reminds me of that 'Blow my whistle bitch!' song from years back, ye olde Vl Calais on Chapel St anthem.

"let me hear you say ooh ooh"
hahah, both are terrible, but to be fair riverside is better than blow my whistle bitch.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
Although I have been known to play tracks twice in a night, I only ever do it if it is requested numerous times, and I’m sure most of you would agree! Unless of cause I think the track is complete crap……

A bit off subject; I find Michael Jackson requests at my classic soul gig as enjoying as Riverside requests and my house gigs. Is this wrong, I mean I dislike most tracks after Off The Wall but people asking for Michael Jackson when I’m playing Sam & Dave or Isley Brothers is in the same ball park as asking for riverside when I’m playing Cerrone or Arnold Jarvis…
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au

« Previous Thread Next Thread »