The DJ Booth

What to look for when buying DJ-speakers

Tools
nickpivce +

Times thanked
<
What to look for when buying DJ-speakers
Im interested in knowing what is the most important components when selecting dj/pa

speakers for a house party or hall for example, to hook up your dj gear too...

what is a good amount off watts or power, does brand matter etc?
Dee Jay Mikey +

Times thanked
<
tuff question mate. I guarantee you will get 1000+ answers.

I bought a pair of no name PA speakers about 6 years ago when I was 16 for $700.

Three way 15 inch, 200 watts rms, 500w max. Ive given them a pounding at about 25-30 parties and they are still working 100%
blown 2 amps though... haha
Melodic Convention VI ~ Friday March 4 @ Biero Bar ~ 6PM - 1AM ~ No cover charge!!!! ( Until 12:57 AM )

Sven Vath Industries available ~ Hit me up for tickets... STAT!
Dee Jay Mikey +

Times thanked
<
forgot to add my recomendation... oops!

If your going to hold house/ hall parties, make sure you get nothing smaller than 12 inch/ 200 watts rms, but 15 inch performance is the way to go in my opinion.

Once you have more than about 30 people on the dance floor at once, the power seems to dissapear due to the amount of bodies absorbing the frequencies.
Melodic Convention VI ~ Friday March 4 @ Biero Bar ~ 6PM - 1AM ~ No cover charge!!!! ( Until 12:57 AM )

ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<
it all depends on how much u want to spend also. if you can afford more go bigger and add a sub to the equation, as dj mikey says 15inch is the best way to go
razza12 +

Times thanked
<
Also strictly for mixing.. no producing involved and no neighbours to complain, is there any advantage to getting studio monitors rather than PA system, considering a limited budget and possible small house party use
ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<
i got studio monitors and no way could you use them for house parties unless theyres like 10 people. other than that theyre fine. no neighbours to complain? i'd personally go for the loudest then!..limited budget just go on ebay get some cheapies off there. the 15in no brands probably 400 for the pair or something or even the behringer copies of the db's. then just get a decent quality amp. prob get it all under 1000$ if your lucky
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
Go to jb hi fi.

My mate got 2 15inch 300 watt Audioline powered speakers for $700.

There massively loud and really clear . Yes i do know what im talking about ive done live music course and have delt with $3000 speakers. You cant beat these speakers for your buck! Last house party cops rocked up and told us to turn them down.
esseeayen +

S-E-A-N

Times thanked
<
save your money, if u want cheap(ish) with alot of sound, go a pair of self powered dB opera 405's. The 405's have 15" cones and are 2 way speakers which cost about $800 each. They are self powered plastic fantastics which outperform the more expensive Mackie SRM450's which are supposedly in the same class. These speakers will do most house parties pretty damn well, and most small halls without a problem, as long as u are looking at >100 people in the hall. Once it gets larger and/or you want more bass, they have matching powered subs which when added should bring enough volume for some medium sized halls with a large crowd.

But as everyone says, you didn't give too many details of how much you want to spend, or how big the parties or halls are. But as i said my recommendation should be enough for any house party, even enough to get the cops a'knocking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorne

you gotta make money right? Keeping it real don't pay the bills.

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
Personally, I'd go a sub+satellite system.

Who wants to haul/store a couple of 15"+horns, when a couple of 8" stand-mounted top boxes and a separate subwoofer will do an arguably better job. Very versatile, portable and easier on the back.

http://www.questaudio.net/
Australian company too.
witz +

Times thanked
<
have to agree with spectrum. go with something light and easy if you playing house parties. Sat's and a sub would be fine

No name gear ends in tears, blowing speakers suck.

i have a peavey and eminence rig,(15inch tops, 18inch subs) which is loud, but its safe, coz you are not pushing it to get the volume).

at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee Jay Mikey

I bought a pair of no name PA speakers about 6 years ago when I was 16 for $700.

Three way 15 inch, 200 watts rms, 500w max. Ive given them a pounding at about 25-30 parties and they are still working 100%

If you keep blowing amps there are problems... either your speakers are running at too low an impedance for the amplifiers (eg. the speakers are rated at a nominal impedance of 4ohms, and the amp is rated at 8ohms).
Using speakers with two low an impedance for the amp will just end up in a dead amplifier, which is no fun for anyone...
You can safely work the other way though (4ohm nominal load on the amp, 8ohm on the speakers), but you'll pull a little less volume than you would by matching the impedance.

The other main option for blowing amps is by clipping at the preamp (ie. being in the red on your DJ mixer), or clipping at the amp (also that red light that flashes on).
There's no reason to clip continually, anytime - watch your levels and fix it!

I'm a bit of a supporter of the sub and satellite idea too, but standards like the mackie SRM450s won't do you badly either (i personally think they have too much of a mid-scoop, but that's just me...)
As witz implied, having an over-specified system is recommended - better not to be pushing the amps too hard.

Sorry to keep rambling, but a house party and hall would require two vastly different systems... you have to account for the space that you'll be filling, and an average loungeroom (let's say 8mx12m) is going to need less amplification compared to a 12mx25m hall....

Last edited by ferretrock: 08-Apr-08 at 06:21pm

zaya +

StereoJunkie!

Times thanked
<
Ill sell you my speaker's fairly cheap if your intrested, There somewhere in the Trading Post section of itm, Maybe page 2-3-4-5 ? HAHA Let me know !

Zayaaaa
nickpivce +

Times thanked
<
Hey guys take a look at these speakers and tell me what you think

i have an 7.1inch receiver that supports 2800watts that came with my souround system would

this amp match each well with the speakers i don't want to blow anything up?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-BRAND-NEW-1...QQcmdZViewItem
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickpivce

Hey guys take a look at these speakers and tell me what you think

i have an 7.1inch receiver that supports 2800watts that came with my souround system would

this amp match each well with the speakers i don't want to blow anything up?

http://YOU MAY NOT POST YOUR EBAY LI...QQcmdZViewItem

Guessin' you mean these?

What amp do you have?

I highly doubt it's delivering 2 channels @ 1400 watts RMS each.

Last edited by Spectrum: 12-Apr-08 at 12:43pm

hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
Im telling ya man go to jb.. buy the audioline speakers 15inch..300 watts each. Get em for around $700 for the pair. Theyll blow your wall down. easy to transport as well!
nickpivce +

Times thanked
<
Thanks for the pic yea there the ones!

the jb ones sound gud 300watts not sure its enough power ~ I have a Denmark Audio amp DA-750

what you think>?
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
You'd be surprised how loud 300watts is on a QUALITY system.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

the jb ones sound gud 300watts not sure its enough power ~ I have a Denmark Audio amp DA-750

what you think>?

600 watts is only around 3dB louder than 300 watts

1200 watts is only around 3dB louder than 600 watts

2400 watts is only around 3dB louder than 1200 watts

Get the maths that are happening there?

As suggested, smaller wattage doesn't mean an obviously quiet system, though it pays to listen to them first. Loud yet harsh ain't cool.

And as for that amp. Their own website doesn't give any info on what the specs are:
http://www.denmarkaudio.com/DA-750Amplifier.html

Generally speaking, Home Theatre amps are not desirable for 2-channel applications.
1) Firstly, the other channels are wasted unless the amp offers some sort of "stereo mode" to combine the power.
2) Secondly, they don't have the power for tightly controlled bass.
3) Thirdly, that 2800watts spec is way exaggerated.
4) Lastly, many home amps don't like 4 OHM loads, so that must also be considered when matching up with PA speakers, nor do they provide fan-assisted cooling.

Will it work? Well yes, sort of. It's just a compromised arrangement.

The one time I dragged a domestic Yamaha 100w+100w amp and a couple of 12" carpeted party box speakers to a pub gig, the damn thing was shutting down due to thermal overload regularly, and thank goodness we had some powered speakers to back it up.

If you're serious about a decent sound in a public setting, just hire some for the night for under a 100 bux and get a feel for what's possible and what's required. Your guests will thank you.
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

what you think>?

This are powered speakers man so you wont need your amp. These are loud enough by FAR. Ive been to a party where they were used and it was incredible. I was skeptical as first as i have dealt with $3000 speakers in a live music course i did so i was expecting much from these but you cant beat them bang for buck.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppuspears

Im telling ya man go to jb.. buy the audioline speakers 15inch..300 watts each. Get em for around $700 for the pair. Theyll blow your wall down. easy to transport as well!

you mean these?
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
Yep there the ones.
Giddy Heinz +

Times thanked
<
For speakers i use the Quest 500 for house parties n in halls and they work great had mine for 6 months now and still good as new. If your in melb and want to purchase first hand speakers go to a shop called pro light and sound.

http://www.prolightandsound.com.au/s...=c9d5d9&cat=22
Dee Jay Mikey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

If you keep blowing amps there are problems... either your speakers are running at too low an impedance for the amplifiers (eg. the speakers are rated at a nominal impedance of 4ohms, and the amp is rated at 8ohms).
Using speakers with two low an impedance for the amp will just end up in a dead amplifier, which is no fun for anyone...
You can safely work the other way though (4ohm nominal load on the amp, 8ohm on the speakers), but you'll pull a little less volume than you would by matching the impedance.

The other main option for blowing amps is by clipping at the preamp (ie. being in the red on your DJ mixer), or clipping at the amp (also that red light that flashes on).
There's no reason to clip continually, anytime - watch your levels and fix it!

I'm a bit of a supporter of the sub and satellite idea too, but standards like the mackie SRM450s won't do you badly either (i personally think they have too much of a mid-scoop, but that's just me...)
As witz implied, having an over-specified system is recommended - better not to be pushing the amps too hard.

Sorry to keep rambling, but a house party and hall would require two vastly different systems... you have to account for the space that you'll be filling, and an average loungeroom (let's say 8mx12m) is going to need less amplification compared to a 12mx25m hall....

haha yeah The blown amps was a result of my lack of knowledge back then

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

you mean these?

Am thinking about getting the 12inch versions, $650 inc shipping not bad

They are just chinese though
Playing at;

SHRUG
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
Got to jb man ^^^ mate got the 15inch version for like $700 extra 50 bucks WAY more power. Ask for a listen instore they set it up for him and you'll know what your buying. make sure you haggle!
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Got to jb man ^^^ mate got the 15inch version for like $700 extra 50 bucks WAY more power. Ask for a listen instore they set it up for him and you'll know what your buying. make sure you haggle!

they dont have em in jb in sydney

the 15's will be more than i need anyways
Playing at;

SHRUG
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
Some stores will have them some wont. Order them in
Jumpy1 +

Times thanked
<
Soundking powered 12" (about $950 pair) are best bang for your bucks.. you dont really need 15", just get some speaker stands. Listen to them thay are killer!!
Circuit Breaker Out Now! Australias BEST new Electro, Breaks & Hip-Hop ------ Buy JUMPY T-shirts
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Ive given them a pounding at about 25-30 parties and they are still working 100%

Statement 2 trumps Statement 1

Guaranteed to have suffered before the two amps blew.
skills +

Times thanked
<
i heard those audioline ones are pretty sick im keen to get a pair if
anyone is sellin them hit me up
Jumpy1 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by skills

i heard those audioline ones are pretty sick im keen to get a pair if
anyone is sellin them hit me up

trust me, sound king will destroy that audioline stuff
12" powered 250w = $798/pair

http://www.lightsounds.com/store.asp...ProductID=1568

go for a demo if u can
Circuit Breaker Out Now! Australias BEST new Electro, Breaks & Hip-Hop ------ Buy JUMPY T-shirts
skills +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumpy1

trust me, sound king will destroy that audioline stuff
12" powered 250w = $798/pair

http://www.lightsounds.com/store.asp...ProductID=1568

go for a demo if u can

yeah i need them soon and i was looking to go to lights and sounds on the weekend
probably check those out
Wuzm +

Times thanked
<
I'm pretty sure the 12" Audioline speakers from JB are passive.
only the 15" are active... thats what it said in a catalog i saw anyway.

best to check it out if you are considering them.
Kefuan +

Times thanked
<
Going to go look at those 15 active audiolines today.

Hopefully they are alright.
JDeli +

Times thanked
<
Since this is an old thread. Did anyone actually purchase a pair of these and try them?

Let us know how you go Kefuan I remember this thread from a while back when i was searching for some new ones but never went and looked at them.
Kefuan +

Times thanked
<
Yeah I will let u know how I go.

I want something cheap, but i might just chuck them on my go mastercard and pay them off if they are alright for the price.
Kefuan +

Times thanked
<
Had a listen to the 12's. Went pretty good. The 15's were just too big though.

The jb actually had some active 12's so i think i might but some!
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
I've heard one of them (think they were the 12"s) at a beach party and they sucked arse. They sound like cheap shit. Scooped, but then no decent sub range, nor proper tops - kinda similar sound to the JBL Eons (ie. SHITE).

I'd personally be going for the sub + satellite (as I said a year ago) 8 or 10" on the mids and a 15 or 18" sub and you'll be rocking. Better power distribution, better sub reproduction, and easier to carry.

If you're going to be buying cheap shit, you'd be better off trawling eBay and walking away with two old unpowered PA speakers and a half decent power amp (say 400W/channel). Too many of the powered speakers make a MASSIVE compromise when it comes to the amp's quality - reducing your available headroom.

A reduction in amp headroom means that the amp redlines faster. When you pump out squarewaves you kill your ears and your speakers. It's better to have an overspecified amp than an underspecified amp, and it's worthwhile having some sort of filter in the way to knock off the real subs.
Eons and such (or most 15"s, for that matter) can't reproduce below 45Hz very effectively. Knocking off the frequencies under this will mean that the speakers and the amps can live much more happily and you'll likely be able to get more volume out of them without putting them at risk.

Last edited by ferretrock: 25-Jun-09 at 09:01pm

XiTatiON +

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7009092845

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Go to jb hi fi.

My mate got 2 15inch 300 watt Audioline powered speakers for $700.

There massively loud and really clear . Yes i do know what im talking about ive done live music course and have delt with $3000 speakers. You cant beat these speakers for your buck! Last house party cops rocked up and told us to turn them down.

I have these same speakers, they get used at many house partys... also to mix in my study... they go very well for $700 bux. Can't go wrong, as they are powered, so no amps required.
theclarity.org
equalise.net
soundcloud.com/xitation
Upcoming Gigs:
J00F @ Brown Alley - Sept 08
Equalise Goodbye Winter Party @ LOOP - Aug 31
gbirdmanvl +

Times thanked
<
i hired the 15 inch sound kings from light sounds on the weekend and they did the job i recomend stands aswell helps so much i say.
they are going for 699 each atm if yo.u go in and speak to the guys there im sure they will do a good deal
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

in my mind you get one answer.

go down to a few stores and A-B speakers playing the music that you listen to in "roughly" the same geometry your setup is in.

you'll know the answer soon enough.

speakers = one million percent personal like.

this isn't a thread about "what CDJ is best for me" or "haw can i teer eeet up?@?"

this is how you will hear every track, every demo, every mix you do. speakers are the one and the only thing you should NEVER in my mind, seek out internet help on.

sure, brands that fit your budget, yep, discuss to make sure you have tested all you can afford. but the one fact remains that when you drop $$XX on your bad boys, that's it. if someone wrote you a bung review you won't know what you're missing out on (literally)
step on my cubes.
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaya

Ill sell you my speaker's fairly cheap if your intrested, There somewhere in the Trading Post section of itm, Maybe page 2-3-4-5 ? HAHA Let me know !

Zayaaaa

haha, funny that this thread should be bumped, i actually bought these speakers off Zaya a few months ago... they were actually the ones pictured before...

These two speakers and a Behringer 2x1200w EuroPower amp for $950! fucking stoked! granted, the horns in both speakers were blown, but i got them fixed up at a hifi repair place - $70 for a new, superior horn + $30 labour. currently just using one stack as i only had enough dosh to get one stack repaired. it fucking cranks tho, use it weekly at my uni bar for djing... one speaker will do a bar of around 100 ppl no worries. Bass response is fucking unreal... i am salivating at the thought of getting the other one fixed and cranking. they are a cheap brand but fuck they go hard
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
ChadPMIK +

Times thanked
<
One thing to remember if you're bringing your PA to crowded parties is how important speaker stands are. Getting the mids and tweets above the crowd is really important. I remember one house party I was running sound for where we had these huge speakers on the floor and the mix booth was in the back of the room. I couldn't hear anything but bass and muddy mids. It was awful for everyone who wasn't standing right in front of the speakers.
Mixedinkey.com - Harmonic Mixing Software
Eros le Tardfack +

lol at teh you

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum

600 watts is only around 3dB louder than 300 watts

1200 watts is only around 3dB louder than 600 watts

2400 watts is only around 3dB louder than 1200 watts

Get the maths that are happening there?

</p></p>

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidgetgod

hey there i set a fourm up to post links too songs of fidget house message me for the link

i need moderators admins and just plain members ill trust onley some people to be admins and mods so please join my forum mutch appereciated fidget god

« Previous Thread Next Thread »