MP3 vs. WAV vs FLAC - Sound Quality?

Page 3 of 3
  Tools
futureproof +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

If we are talking sound quality, why not take it a step further and only play vinyl ?

What's vinyl ?
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
vinyl is the HQ futureproof anti piracy medium
futureproof +

Times thanked
<
Sounds good, probably deserves a thread of it's own though.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie

I've bought plenty of white label records in my time which certainty left a bit to be desired sound quality wise. But I bought them because it was the only way to get that tune. These days I'd prefer flac as I've said, but I think it's very easy to become bogged down in semantics on the internets.

It's unfortunate for a lot of nub kid djs out there now is that there is just so much poor (mis)information circulated on so many topics.

Yeah I have vinyl that would sound worse than a 128 MP3 but I, like you bought then because I couldnt get a better version, these days there is often the option to grab the WAV, Im not saying DJ should switch to vinyl but at least buy the best format you can get! And the cost is insignificant even if you need a bigger connection, as DJs survived for years spending $200odd a week on vinyl, crap I still do spend around $200 a week.

Yeah quite often I just keep out of it as I cant be bothered with the arguments hence why I am avoiding a couple of threads on ITM . Is there a point to this battle when intelligent discussion is overwhelmed by misinformed dribble? I believe some new DJ want to step up to the plate but are just so misinformed they will never get there!

"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

I believe some new DJ want to step up to the plate but are just so misinformed they will never get there!

Herein lies the problem with the fresh batch, they expect all the answers to be displayed clearly in point form on the internet.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy

seems a little pointless doesn't it? humans can barely hear past 20khz, and 96khz (48/nyquist/blahblah) would probably only be apparent when doing a spectral analysis. certainly wouldn't make a difference to the ears i think.

so what exactly are you guys looking for in that upper most frequency range if you can't even hear it?

I am lost, who is trying to produce 96 kHz, and even dogs cant hear that, at high enough spl it might affect you but probably not your ears?

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Herein lies the problem with the fresh batch, they expect all the answers to be displayed clearly in point form on the internet.

Yeah the net is never going to provide perfect information, the information is out there but if you dont understand the basics you will never be able to filter the craptalkers out, and if you know the basics you wouldnt need to ask the questions in the first place.. Catch 22 I thing (I use to own a bar called Catch 22).

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I am lost, who is trying to produce 96 kHz, and even dogs can’t hear that, at high enough spl it might affect you but probably not your ears?

big eddie mentioned it because one of the other guys works with high sampling frequencies.

if you go by the nyquist theorem, the ideal sampling rate would be double that of the highest frequency of whatever you're sampling. so sampling at a rate of 96khz would mean the highest frequency coming from your source is 48khz, which is about 28khz higher than what humans can hear.

understandably i have some flac files of records which were sampled using a very high quality setup, and they were done at 96/24 in order to make the digital transfer as accurate as possible. it's fairly unnecessary but those audiophiles.. you can never please them!

unless you're going to press a nice chunky thick 45rpm record, working in such high sampling rates is fairly pointless isn't it?
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

big eddie mentioned it because one of the other guys works with high sampling frequencies.

if you go by the nyquist theorem, the ideal sampling rate would be double that of the highest frequency of whatever you're sampling. so sampling at a rate of 96khz would mean the highest frequency coming from your source is 48khz, which is about 28khz higher than what humans can hear.

understandably i have some flac files of records which were sampled using a very high quality setup, and they were done at 96/24 in order to make the digital transfer as accurate as possible. it's fairly unnecessary but those audiophiles.. you can never please them!

unless you're going to press a nice chunky thick 45rpm record, working in such high sampling rates is fairly pointless isn't it?

Ok, youre talking sampling rate, as far as I remember the Sampling rate does set the frequency response but it is normally higher than double the highest frequency required and speakers in general are not likely to play over 20khz like you said. Also I though all measurements for digital file sampling rates was in words per second & DB range and not frequencies as it is a file of 1s & 0s?
Though Im not a expert in digital technology I thought CDs where 44.1k and pro audio can be 48k.

Ill have to look this up when I get a chance, I dont get to deal with this stuff much; Im a bit confused now!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I always thought that 96/24 would mean bits per word/sample rate not the other way around?

Im lost, it doesnt help that I spent the night soldering and doing my tax, I think I should go to bed and re-think this later!

Oh and your so right on the audiophile comment, i just got off the phone with a client who wants to use my recording booth to compare drivers for his vintage cabinets,,, nuts, actully not a bad idea but nuts none the less!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
yeah exactly. and CDs were set to 44.1k (so response would be up to 22.05) because that's more than what most speakers and human ears can handle anyway.

hmm let me see if i can find a good thread about it - pretty sure there was one in the last 6 months or so either in this forum or the music studio. i think it was here though.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

yeah exactly. and CDs were set to 44.1k (so response would be up to 22.05) because that's more than what most speakers and human ears can handle anyway.

hmm let me see if i can find a good thread about it - pretty sure there was one in the last 6 months or so either in this forum or the music studio. i think it was here though.

I posted this before, it's great though i haven't read it for ages but i think John Burnet is a king. http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/18_digital.html check it out, i am reading it now (though i'm a bit crosseyed)....

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
RohanP +

Producer/DJ/DnBaholic!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I always thought that 96/24 would mean bits per word/sample rate not the other way around?

Its 96kHz/24bit (thats recording studio quality) then most studios mix, then dither to 44.1kHz/16bit for CD mastering..

or now days you'll find electronic music producers will use 48kHz/32bit but theres no point really unless the samples are recorded in 32bit, which im pretty sure most recording studios dont support (although i could be wrong).

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebrains69

Scratching on CDJ's is like driving a skyline - you think it's cool, but ultimately you're just a retard.

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by RohanP

Its 96kHz/24bit (thats recording studio quality) then most studios mix, then dither to 44.1kHz/16bit for CD mastering..

or now days you'll find electronic music producers will use 48kHz/32bit but theres no point really unless the samples are recorded in 32bit, which im pretty sure most recording studios dont support (although i could be wrong).

Yeah sorry i put that wrong, i have no idea what i meant!

Then the 96khz would just be an attempt to oversample at 48khz in order to keep the resolution higher in the DAC or ADC. I’m not to sure how this works really, I assume it is to use lower quality converters!

Yeah 32bit would up the game considerably!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
adobe audition doesn't do 24 bits, it jumps from 16 to 32. not sure why though.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
RohanP +

Producer/DJ/DnBaholic!

Times thanked
<
yeh its weird, most modern programs dont, FL doesnt do 24bit either it goes straight from 16bit integer to 32bit floating point.

Quote:

Scratching on CDJ's is like driving a skyline - you think it's cool, but ultimately you're just a retard.

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
does this mean i'm going to have to upgrade my MOTO24i/o again. I haven't enev used my studio much and it's already outdated... Such is life these days... LOL.

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
muse +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

If we are talking sound quality, why not take it a step further and only play vinyl ?

I do
RohanP +

Producer/DJ/DnBaholic!

Times thanked
<
haha if its 16bit maybe.. 24bit just gives you a better dynamic range i believe around 140dB instead of 96dB (16bit).

just means u can record without using as much compression (or none at all depending on whats being recorded) also when recording quiet vocals its way easier to keep it above the noise floor = easier mixing

Quote:

muse +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

I'd say that if you are producing, you should try 24/88.

this is a good idea, and I have checked it with my guru who also agrees with you.

My G5 and storage space can't handle this but am upgrading to a Mac Pro in a few months so I'll definitely give it a whirl then.

cheers

Last edited by muse: 15-Jul-09 at 02:38pm

Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

does this mean i'm going to have to upgrade my MOTO24i/o again. I haven't enev used my studio much and it's already outdated... Such is life these days... LOL.

Naw you're still close to the top of the heap with that believe it or not.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Tool

Naw you're still close to the top of the heap with that believe it or not.

Top of the Shit heap right!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Page 3 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »