Tools
badbwoy +

Keiff

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjay

mxing on cdjs is cheating

Care to elaborate? Or is your arguement based on there being a BPM counter on CDJs?
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
ill say this but dont wanna start another debate, this will be my last post

ohk coz all you have to do really is set the cue point, and match the bpm of the cued record to the one playing live without even really listening, once you have the bpms the same its real small adjustments till its on

Now this is no rreal big deal

but the other night i was mixing disco i had ripped to cd, if i was to play these records on vinyl it would have been a lot harder, Coz one tune would be at say 128 bpm and the other 113. Now if i was to cue up the record on vinyl I would be like nah to slow tempo isnt right and wouldnt do it. But coz i had the visual display there, withough even looking i put master tempo on, reduced the live one to 120 and brought the cued one to 120, and they were bascially matcehd without even using headphones. Although reducing like this with the master tempo on sounds pretty bad it still did the job.But the fact is the visual dispaly let me know that the two could come together.

But now i sort of feel like i dont listen to the music just look at the screen, and its pretty bad actually

Prior to this I had never looked at the bpms on the cdjs, i never bothered with them, but really the cdjs pretty much do the whole job for you.

But they do have their disadvantages

anyway back to cdj 400 v cdj 800

Last edited by johnjay: 20-Jan-08 at 06:55pm

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
the 2 most common mixers in venues have bpm counters.

the arguement is ridiculous.
step on my cubes.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
yeh but everytime on the djm 800

its say bpm of 386 when i press tap then goes back to 110 then to 160
badbwoy +

Keiff

Times thanked
<
You're an idiot
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
I knew i should've stopped

i bet you play trance

Last edited by johnjay: 20-Jan-08 at 07:35pm

badbwoy +

Keiff

Times thanked
<
point proven
beakers +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I knew i should've stopped

i bet you play trance

pffftt.. you were right... you should have stopped.. before you started.. get back to your beatmatching.
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
The ignorance in this forum is astounding at times...

I am sure if the ignorami posting in these parts actually had more than half an idea they would be contributing and generating useful discussion rather than current crap dribbling from their mouths.

Mixing with CDJ's cheating... I mean come on.

Go back to your bedroom, because With an attitude like that. Thats the only room your ever going to play.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
badbwoy +

Keiff

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign

shit the post a photo of your setup thread is 10 times the size of the post a mix thread

what does that tell you?

hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy

I must be the only one that reckons it's an ugly looking unit.

Its not the most attractive designs but has cool features
Master Mischief +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

ill say this but dont wanna start another debate, this will be my last post

ohk coz all you have to do really is set the cue point, and match the bpm of the cued record to the one playing live without even really listening, once you have the bpms the same its real small adjustments till its on

Now this is no rreal big deal

but the other night i was mixing disco i had ripped to cd, if i was to play these records on vinyl it would have been a lot harder, Coz one tune would be at say 128 bpm and the other 113. Now if i was to cue up the record on vinyl I would be like nah to slow tempo isnt right and wouldnt do it. But coz i had the visual display there, withough even looking i put master tempo on, reduced the live one to 120 and brought the cued one to 120, and they were bascially matcehd without even using headphones. Although reducing like this with the master tempo on sounds pretty bad it still did the job.But the fact is the visual dispaly let me know that the two could come together.

But now i sort of feel like i dont listen to the music just look at the screen, and its pretty bad actually

Prior to this I had never looked at the bpms on the cdjs, i never bothered with them, but really the cdjs pretty much do the whole job for you.

But they do have their disadvantages

anyway back to cdj 400 v cdj 800

Your a tool...
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
Everyone knows a REAL dj can see the music in the grooves on the vinyl

I really don't understand how CDJs are any easier than vinyl? Other than you can be more aggressive on the platter with no fear of needle slippage....but then ....why i have to ask???
frankinfx +

ODS! Crew.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Mischief

Your a tool...

I second that....
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
wow superstar trance dj who has mastered the tiesto pose

and its funny how all the degenerates from the north who mix daft punk into techno then techno into trance and trance into seany b are all replying

get a clue, you have no clue
beakers +

Times thanked
<
clue? glue? magoo? you? poo?

wake up mate.
badbwoy +

Keiff

Times thanked
<

Quote:

and its funny how all the degenerates from the north who mix daft punk into techno then techno into trance and trance into seany b are all replying

I dont think you're in a position to tell anyone to get a clue, son. Its quite clear from your posts that you have no fucking idea.
frankinfx +

ODS! Crew.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Haha, funny guy...
FYI that photo was taken at home by the GF and i was screwing around.... and i dont play trance, i play breaks, and i'm strictly a bedroom DJ.

Maybe you should get a clue before passing judgement....
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
I apologise
inafets +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by yusio

the small platter isn't really putting me off at all. Though i do like the large platter of the 800 and 1000's. As for price i dont think the 400 has been released yet so not 100% sure bit i don't think their will be much more then $100-$200 in it?

I would say go for the 400 as you don't mind the small platter.
Dee Jay Mikey +

Times thanked
<
I would say 400s, if you want decks for home. they have the same pitch settings as 1000's so its almost impossible to mess up a gig!................ almost!
reemo +

Times thanked
<
Save yourself some reading a check out this CDJ400 vs CDJ800 video comparison!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyCW84sjKVE
Sebastien +

Times thanked
<
I'm about to buy some 800mkIIs and now I'm a little concerned! There seem to be mixed opinions on this. How I understand it:

Pros of the 400
More effects
USB compatibility
Interface with PC

Pros of the 800
More likely to find in a club
Bigger platter

Cons of the 400
Ugly
Unlikely to find in club

Cons of the 800
Fewer effects
No usb compatibility

So I've sort of developed the opinion that the 400 is more technologically advanced.. However, I am thinking the following things..

1. Aren't extra effects a) the type of thing that get repetitive quickly and b) the realm of mixers; all you need is a bit of reverb, delay, etc..

2. If i'm not interested in usb compatibility and have no qualms with burning cds then there's no need for the 400

3. Is there any merit to the idea that the 800 is a scaled down 1000, so is more similar in function/use to the top of the line? Despite it's functionality it does seem like a scaled up 200 rather than a scaled down 800..

4. If the 400 is better than the 800 then why would anybody buy an 800?

Anyway, convince me otherwise
HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
Different ppl want different things. If you want a big platter, go the 800, if you don't care, go the 400. I ordered 2 400's today . Will give a verdict when they arrive, can only compare it to a 1000 thou as i've never mixed on 800s

Big advantage the 400 had for me was the PC capability
H2X
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<
i rekon pioneer will release cdj800 mk 3s in the price range of the cdj 1000s.
then pioneer will release cdj 1000 mk4s that will cost 2 - 2.5k street price.
its all a marketing exercise to make more money
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
cdj 400 looks shit

the best fing about the 800/1000 is that big rubbery platter and the way you can slowly add lil increments and it locks in beat.

The 400s platter looks like the cdj 200's, and everyone nows how crap that is, just doesnt seem to do it, reminds me of those citronic rackmount platters

and the effects wowl, does anyone use those crappy effects?

the 400 is made for the bedroom,but atleast if you find it in a club you wont get any headaches as it has vinylmode, so you can find sections of tracks and cue parts easier, so they have given the 200 what it needed but the platter looks shit

and the 2 usb argument is crap, u can rock up with 2 cds of mp3s if you really wanted to
beakers +

Times thanked
<
have you ever used them?
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
im basing my judgement on the way it looks and the videos

the side of the platter isnt angled like the cdj 800 so seems like it would be dicky to add those lil nudges and those big nudges that lock the beat temporarily in place. And in the cdj 800 v cdj 400 youtube video is it just me or does the scratching sound better on the 800?
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<

Quote:

the side of the platter isnt angled like the cdj 800 so seems like it would be dicky to add those lil nudges and those big nudges that lock the beat temporarily in place. And in the cdj 800 v cdj 400 youtube video is it just me or does the scratching sound better on the 800?

Yeah it does sound better in the video, but it could of been a different song, speaker placement, etc. In real life they sound perfect, and I wouldn't be too concerned about the side of the platter, it has a slight angle to it, but I'm sure it would be no big deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Good Doctor

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<

Quote:

why don't you base your judgement on the ppl that have used them and say the platter is similar to the 800/1000s and not anywhere near the crappiness of the 100/200s?

I do agree that the angle of the sides looks better on the 800's and 1000s but i'll save my judgement on that till i get them next week and see for myself.
H2X
cowabungadude +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac1d3o3

lol, thats all i have to say, lol
beakers +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac1d3o3

business are genrally run as to try and make more money.

but they haven't even suggested doing this yet... Do you know something we dont?
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by beakers

business are genrally run as to try and make more money.

but they haven't even suggested doing this yet... Do you know something we dont?

Well it's a bit fishy when they put out a product that is better and cheaper than a product they already have on the market. I find this really quite strange. Obviously they are going to do something with the 800, but as to what, we can only speculate. ac1d3o3's idea sounds quite feasable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Good Doctor

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

beakers +

Times thanked
<
not saying it isn't... I'm just saying that's what they do..

how many years has the 800 and 1000 been out for? It's about time for a revamp

methinks..

companies will do this kind of thing to maximise profits.. the same way labels release hits

on vinyl only first to force people to cough up the cash before they release the mp3 which

everyone will mostly buy also..
HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
^^^ exactly. I'm sure there will be new 800's and 1000's.......................but not before the 400 has had enough time to take on the market ie. 12months
H2X
Dee Jay Mikey +

Times thanked
<
Lets end this thread! buy a pair of 1000's!!!!!!!!!! i did 39 hours ago and havent slept... sorta
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
If the 1000s/800s needed to be up dated why didnt they up date them.. They put this unit out for people to buy it now and then release the mk4 on the 1000s and the 800 mk3 and they will add the usb compatiblity and the people who buy the 400s will be wanting the updated cdjs casing them to pay for the new ones. If they had planed this to be better than the 800 wouldnt they call it the cdj 900? the numbers would be fucked the other way round. sorry about spelling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

I'm a faggot

reemo +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE

If the 1000s/800s needed to be up dated why didnt they up date them.. They put this unit out for people to buy it now and then release the mk4 on the 1000s and the 800 mk3 and they will add the usb compatiblity and the people who buy the 400s will be wanting the updated cdjs casing them to pay for the new ones. If they had planed this to be better than the 800 wouldnt they call it the cdj 900? the numbers would be fucked the other way round. sorry about spelling

It is quite possible Pioneer have already designed and are manufacturing replacements for the 1000s/800s. I saw a DJM700 with a serial number that said manufactured Dec 2006, almost a year before they were released! It is all about timing the release, in the case of the CDJ400 they are going to make piles more cash by releasing it first before USB capable 1000s/800s.
franklin +

Times thanked
<
Not sure if this has been covered already but I was just wondering if either the cdj-400 and the cdj-800 has loop adjust - either loop in or loop out adjust?!

I'm not too keen on the auto loop function.

thanks
Fregna +

Times thanked
<
The CDJ400s are still in their infancy, granted they have the technology on their side but who knows what kind of bugs and niggling things they may develop, another point in favour of the 800's is the fact their so established....id like to hear from someone who has actually used the CDJ400s and can offer some insight as im in the same boat torn between a 400 and 800
middyjones +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fregna

The CDJ400s are still in their infancy, granted they have the technology on their side but who knows what kind of bugs and niggling things they may develop, another point in favour of the 800's is the fact their so established....id like to hear from someone who has actually used the CDJ400s and can offer some insight as im in the same boat torn between a 400 and 800

i sold my 800's and just got 400's!!!! The 400 is exactly the same but with more features, apart from the hot cues. U cannot go wrong with the 400's, i'm in love with mine
ldhnaram +

Times thanked
<
id compare the 400's to the 1000..
DUSTCHILD +

Times thanked
<
I got 800s, but after doing a gig with 1000s, im in love with the 1000s. For some reason my scratching sounds way better than my attempts on the 800s. I think its mainly the fact that the tension on the jog wheel is more vinyl feel than the 800s.

And I have played on 400s aswell, to tell you guys the truth, it feels like a cheap toy. Mainly due to the size and feel of the platter/jog wheel.

So in conclusion 1000s all the way, if you have the money!
-
-
-
Check me out live on YOUTUBE!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DUSTCHILD
middyjones +

Times thanked
<
i have 800's and 400's, the external drive capablity is shit, takes like 30 secs if not more to load every fucking song, its extremely frustrating, and it freeze's a fair bit, 800's feel better to use, i dunno 400's are good but if ur buying them for the external drive setup dont bother it's shit house
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
Well after playing on the 400's for about 12 hrs over the weekend just gone i would have no hesitation on having a set of these in my home setup.

They are no 1000, but they are not trying to be either.

I found the opposite of middy and found the usb interface to be excellent and is something that i am sure will get faster with firmware upgrades.

Its a solid little unit and perfect for the home setup or smaller venue.

Shit, if i was running a venue; for the price i would have two or three of these as a backup for the main setup.

The main thing is though, looking at this unit i would at least be expecting this kind of multi-media/ equipment interfacing in the next edition of the CDJ 1000
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
cange30 +

Times thanked
<
I am leaning more towards the 400. The specs are nice. With the 800 the only bonus really is the bigger platter, quick return (which you can do with a long loop on the 400), and the auto beat loop. The 400 has everything else. When comparing keep in mind what you're really comparing. Other top models, not some rinky dink cd player that most jocks own. You really can't go wrong with either one. I think it's personal prefrence.
panza34 +

Times thanked
<
CDJ 800s
I recon go the 800s if you intend to play on 1000s any time soon, if not 400s r good if using a computer with vdj or somthing as they can be used as midi controllers!
prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
<
.... this thread is over a year and a half old

Quote:

Originally Posted by puretrance89 View Post

My muzza's are more tanked up than your muzzas!

Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »