The DJ Booth

'Technical ability'

Reply
Page 3 of 3
  Tools
djaudiophile +

licking the lid of life

djaudiophile's Avatar
Joined
Jun '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
1,469
seriously though,
fuck these terms.
FACT: people love music
FACT: people love technology
FACT: people love to make themselve feel good
FACT: there will always be someone better than you
FACT: you did not invent anything new - yes its all been done before

so get over it,
drink some beer,
and spin, play, loop or automate some fucking music
we can all tell if someone is a fucking tool - so leave that highlighting up to them
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Pro Tool's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 9
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Posts
7,495

Quote:

Originally Posted by djaudiophile

and spin, play, loop or automate some fucking music

Lloyd C +

Registered User

Joined
Dec '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
814
do you have more technical ability if you can service/ repair your own equipment?
walkdogz +

Registered User

walkdogz's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 451
Thanked 510 Times in 328 Posts
Posts
7,170
word audiophile...

in the end the most important thing is the right music for the right moment
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

louislogic's Avatar
Joined
Mar '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 59
Thanked 397 Times in 166 Posts
Posts
3,075
trenthalliday +

s'up?

trenthalliday's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
9,054

Quote:

Originally Posted by djaudiophile

seriously though,
fuck these terms.
FACT: people love music
FACT: people love technology
FACT: people love to make themselve feel good
FACT: there will always be someone better than you
FACT: you did not invent anything new - yes its all been done before

so get over it,
drink some beer,
and spin, play, loop or automate some fucking music
we can all tell if someone is a fucking tool - so leave that highlighting up to them

Pretty much my thoughts...I'm just getting really tired of select people thinking a DJ is a musical god for mixing together other peoples tracks...seriously, its not really that hard, to be a brilliant DJ IMO is to have the ability to make everyone dance, to get people who aren't interested in your genre interested in what you are playing, to make sure everyone has a good time, to put smiles on peoples faces...and most importantly, keep a smile on your face, and not get so caught up in the bullshit that you cant see a little bit of stupidity in what you are doing.

IMO of course...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

flatty88 +

Registered User

flatty88's Avatar
Joined
Mar '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 579
Thanked 1,155 Times in 212 Posts
Posts
1,685

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

Pretty much my thoughts...I'm just getting really tired of select people thinking a DJ is a musical god for mixing together other peoples tracks...seriously, its not really that hard, to be a brilliant DJ IMO is to have the ability to make everyone dance, to get people who aren't interested in your genre interested in what you are playing, to make sure everyone has a good time, to put smiles on peoples faces...and most importantly, keep a smile on your face, and not get so caught up in the bullshit that you cant see a little bit of stupidity in what you are doing.

IMO of course...

+1

More dancing/getting loose, less chinstroking.
Methodixxx +

... IN TRIPLICATE

Methodixxx's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Posts
2,651

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

Pretty much my thoughts...I'm just getting really tired of select people thinking a DJ is a musical god for mixing together other peoples tracks...seriously, its not really that hard, to be a brilliant DJ IMO is to have the ability to make everyone dance, to get people who aren't interested in your genre interested in what you are playing, to make sure everyone has a good time, to put smiles on peoples faces...and most importantly, keep a smile on your face, and not get so caught up in the bullshit that you cant see a little bit of stupidity in what you are doing.

IMO of course...



Yeah, obviously agreed. Rock the party and make everyone dance with some great music. Simple concept that shouldn't be over analysed, but you did ask the original question!

But it's not hard to do anything the safe and easy way... I didn't think it was hard to understand that the safe and easy way isn't the extent of many people's technical ability, either.


So it seems you didn't even want to know the definition of technical ability in the end, or that there are certainly different degrees of technical ability with different people. And I suppose that does make the dreaded, "...but he was technically brilliant" somewhat valid


EDIT: But, that was a pretty damn good 100 post build up to your opinion above! Baahahaha, nice work on that man

Mainline Music
MAINLINE Presents:

http://soundcloud.com/methodix
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Funkedub's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 439
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
Posts
21,221
i'm still waiting for examples of where the term has been used
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com



*musical needs most likely not met
Methodixxx +

... IN TRIPLICATE

Methodixxx's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Posts
2,651
Search for Jarrard's posts, think you'll find it in every second one.

Mainline Music
MAINLINE Presents:

http://soundcloud.com/methodix
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

macc4's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 401
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
Posts
12,412
lrn2google funkedub http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
trenthalliday +

s'up?

trenthalliday's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
9,054

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methodixxx

Yeah, obviously agreed. Rock the party and make everyone dance with some great music. Simple concept that shouldn't be over analysed, but you did ask the original question!

But it's not hard to do anything the safe and easy way... I didn't think it was hard to understand that the safe and easy way isn't the extent of many people's technical ability, either.


So it seems you didn't even want to know the definition of technical ability in the end, or that there are certainly different degrees of technical ability with different people. And I suppose that does make the dreaded, "...but he was technically brilliant" somewhat valid


EDIT: But, that was a pretty damn good 100 post build up to your opinion above! Baahahaha, nice work on that man

I was actually trying to get Jrods explanation, along with other ITM resident chin strokers opinion on the matter...but it seems nobody really has a finite explanation for me...

I'm now going on a crusade to banish this term from DJing

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

avatar_karma +

Registered User

avatar_karma's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,217
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts
Posts
11,517
Well, after reading 3 pages of dribble, I'm going to put in my 2c. This is my opinion on the phrase "technical ability" when related to a DJ:

There's knowing what you want to do, and then there's actually performing it. For my mind, actually performing what you intended is technical ability.

For example, a DJ might want to perform a certain trick with a loop. 10 points for having the intent and innovation, but he may not perform the trick well, thus his technical ability is shit house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

Jaakko +

Retarded Uber

Jaakko's Avatar
Joined
Nov '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
172

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_karma

Well, after reading 3 pages of dribble, I'm going to put in my 2c. This is my opinion on the phrase "technical ability" when related to a DJ:

There's knowing what you want to do, and then there's actually performing it. For my mind, actually performing what you intended is technical ability.

For example, a DJ might want to perform a certain trick with a loop. 10 points for having the intent and innovation, but he may not perform the trick well, thus his technical ability is shit house.

Thank you for contributing more...what was your term? That's right...dribble.
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

macc4's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 401
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
Posts
12,412

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_karma

Well, after reading 3 pages of dribble, I'm going to put in my 2c. This is my opinion on the phrase "technical ability" when related to a DJ:

There's knowing what you want to do, and then there's actually performing it. For my mind, actually performing what you intended is technical ability.

For example, a DJ might want to perform a certain trick with a loop. 10 points for having the intent and innovation, but he may not perform the trick well, thus his technical ability is shit house.

performing the loop on vinyl = technical ability

any other loop = button press ability
avatar_karma +

Registered User

avatar_karma's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,217
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts
Posts
11,517

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaakko

Thank you for contributing more...what was your term? That's right...dribble.



No worries , I never said I was right, I was just saying that's how I view the term .

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

WADZA +

you're really cool man

WADZA's Avatar
Joined
Nov '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Posts
1,179
stupid thread is stupid.

Upcoming:


Sat 16th June : Deepchild (Berlin) @ Barsoma
trenthalliday +

s'up?

trenthalliday's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
9,054

Quote:

Originally Posted by WADZA

stupid thread is stupid.

Nice input...your argument, all be it very short, was rock solid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Funkedub's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 439
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
Posts
21,221
he's right though ... this is an awesomely stupid thread
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com



*musical needs most likely not met
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Dr Bones's Avatar
Joined
Sep '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 878
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts
Posts
9,274
Here is a poem i wrote about irony.

Oh,
irony.
aren't thou
hilarious?
Irony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

trenthalliday +

s'up?

trenthalliday's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
9,054

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

he's right though ... this is an awesomely stupid thread

Again...your argument is fool proof...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Funkedub's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 439
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
Posts
21,221

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

Again...your argument is fool proof...


errr ... it's not an "argument".

It's not a debate ... it's not a contention ... it's a simple observation.

This thread is tantamount to asking "please define god for me" ... except that people actually believe in god.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com



*musical needs most likely not met
trenthalliday +

s'up?

trenthalliday's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
9,054

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

errr ... it's not an "argument".

It's not a debate ... it's not a contention ... it's a simple observation.

This thread is tantamount to asking "please define god for me" ... except that people actually believe in god.

Your opinion and all that...

I was just trying to work out why people feel the need to say a DJ is technically brilliant...when in actual fact, all they are doing is what is expected of a DJ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

djaudiophile +

licking the lid of life

djaudiophile's Avatar
Joined
Jun '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
1,469
i had a random come up to me after playing in a DJ comp
saying "i enjoyed that it was really good, your so technical and fiddly and bla bla bla"
while doing hand movements of what was me just playing around with EQ's

this chick knew nothing about DJing so lets just say that its a lamens term that means:
"Im impressed looked like you were doing lots of different things but i dont really understand it - its umm technical..."

and for the rest of us - lets just use it as a measure of what we think are our sickets skillllllls
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

louislogic's Avatar
Joined
Mar '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 59
Thanked 397 Times in 166 Posts
Posts
3,075
djaudiophile +

licking the lid of life

djaudiophile's Avatar
Joined
Jun '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
1,469
whats with the egyptian lover pics ?
iainkek +

Registered User

Joined
Nov '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
13

Quote:

Originally Posted by djaudiophile

seriously though,
fuck these terms.
FACT: people love music
FACT: people love technology
FACT: people love to make themselve feel good
FACT: there will always be someone better than you
FACT: you did not invent anything new - yes its all been done before

so get over it,
drink some beer,
and spin, play, loop or automate some fucking music
we can all tell if someone is a fucking tool - so leave that highlighting up to them

QFT brah
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

SlicyDicer's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 5,543
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
Posts
17,225

Quote:

Originally Posted by djaudiophile

whats with the egyptian lover pics ?

He's being avant garde
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

pEAkeR_hAT's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 8,416
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Posts
12,345

Quote:

Originally Posted by djaudiophile

seriously though,
fuck these terms.
FACT: people love music
FACT: people love technology
FACT: people love to make themselve feel good
FACT: there will always be someone better than you
FACT: you did not invent anything new - yes its all been done before

so get over it,
drink some beer,
and spin, play, loop or automate some fucking music
we can all tell if someone is a fucking tool - so leave that highlighting up to them


TBH, i disagree with your last two facts. Aim for the stars IMO !
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

avatar_karma +

Registered User

avatar_karma's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,217
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts
Posts
11,517


Fuck oath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

Page 3 of 3
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts