Tools
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

OH, and PS - what makes you think the stuff you're playing is difficult? What are you playing, breakcore or some shit? Dubstep?

breakcore ain't that hard to mix ... and 90% of the dubstep is pretty straight forward too

However, that said, if you play/mix a diverse range of these sounds, if you have a crack at house you'll laugh at how easy it is
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Just in general. I slowly learned to beat match, then I took a break cause I had a couple of depressing sessions and after that I just cant seem to do it at all now. It doesn't help that the stuff I mix is quite difficult, especially as a learner. My main issue is not being able to decipher on which track is faster than the other.

Yo,

if you're having trouble, cut the lows and mids on the cue track completely and boost the highs, then you should be able to distinguish between the two as one will be mainly cymbols and the other will be normal

Maybe try mixing house? i'v heard that is a good beginner genre,
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,386 Times in 652 Posts
Perhaps if it has a different structure, ie. 7/8 as opposed to 4/4 it is harder. Can't say I have heard much of that around outside of some of the traditional oriental genres though.
But from what I gather of derelicts tastes, that shit is so busy that you can really only attempt to mix intro/outro, there is not really much room to layer, if you know what I mean.
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
I'd actually say minimal techno is easier to mix than house, simply because it's so stripped back. how can u not layer that stuff?

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideshow Rod View Post

I hope your joking...

I still use both - probably 65/35 (vinyl) depending on what gig I am playing...

Don't feed the troll
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<
page 3 wow i never thought it would have got to 2 let alone 3 !!!!!!!
funk you
NenadL +

......errrr I got nothin

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricky_radar View Post

the cost makes you think harder before you buy though - I reckon if i did download tunes I'd spend the same amount end up with HEAPS more tunes and half of them I wouldn't buy on vinyl... vinyl = quality control IMO

SOOOO true man. I'm vinyl all the way - love the sound and feel of vinyl, and like to occasionally read the info on the label. i.e. record label details, who produced it, who mastered it, studio name etc. And its something physical, and when you walk into the studio you have it all in front of you. A bunch of CD's in a wallet just isn't the same.

Others who are still using vinyl I think: LTJ Bukem, Tom Clark, Anja Schneider, Ricardo Villalobos. Lots of Adelaide dj's still exclusively vinyl
www.discoveryrecords.com.au
www.soundcloud.com/nenad-lonic
www.soundcloud.com/discoveryrecords

Last edited by NenadL: 22-Jun-10 at 09:07pm

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
I still play vinyl, usually 100% in my sets (and certainly so at home).
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

if you're having trouble, cut the lows and mids on the cue track completely and boost the highs, then you should be able to distinguish between the two as one will be mainly cymbols and the other will be normal

Maybe try mixing house? i'v heard that is a good beginner genre,

People constantly tell me to learn with other genres, but they do my head in, I always find myself throwing on some of my industrial HC after 1 or 2 tracks.

Quote:

OH, and PS - what makes you think the stuff you're playing is difficult? What are you playing, breakcore or some shit? Dubstep? Remember, even those broken beat genres still have an underlying 4/4 to mix from...focus on the 2 and 4 beat snare/high hat snap...short, sharp sound, keep those in time and everything else is in time...bass can be deceptive due to the lenght of the sound.

Industrial Hardcore. It has very distorted kicks and yeah, non standard 4/4 kick patterns. Some of the tracks have ambient intros too :\ Others just have 16 beat or shorter intros.

CircusMidget: There's plenty of room to layer, the big name DJs layer shit loads and it sounds amazing, but yeah, with most tracks it's very busy in the body.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Industrial Hardcore. It has very distorted kicks and yeah, non standard 4/4 kick patterns. Some of the tracks have ambient intros too :\ Others just have 16 beat or shorter intros.

O
I
C

Ambient/beatless intros are a bitch...skip to the first beats to get your beat matched, then you can go back and start with the intro...so long as there's a nicely defined start point, and it's timed right, can sound awesome...but when wrong, that drop will sound pants...

Deffiantely not easy stuff to learn with...but I don't see how it'd be any easier to mix it on CD than vinyl though...still the same process

Try something with a simpler structure, which is still tough music maybe? Hard techno perhaps. If you love nasty music, I can't imagine you enjoying mixing house at all!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Sideshow Rod +

Times thanked
<
^^^ if anything CD would be easier because you can set cue points

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideshow Rod View Post

^^^ if anything CD would be easier because you can set cue points

Yeah, but that's pretty incidental though, you can move a tonearm passed the first groove, too...doesnt change the actual act of the beat matching
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

CircusMidget: There's plenty of room to layer, the big name DJs layer shit loads and it sounds amazing, but yeah, with most tracks it's very busy in the body.

Yeah, but the big names aren't trying to learn to beat match at the same time. Take small steps derelict, small steps lead to big steps.
These big names didn't just start by layering industrial hardcore. It would have taken them years for it to sound amazing.
And in most cases they would have learnt with vinyl.
SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<
Those big names don't layer with 4 pieces of separate vinyl either and are auto beatmatching everything.
Beatport
mrkek +

Times thanked
<
I buy cd's to listen to and I buy vinyl to mix with, but these days I collect vinyl more than use it. Get it, rip it to wave, and use on DVS.
bobanny +

D-ron. Praxis

Times thanked
<
Still play heaps of vinyl. But for me the main reason is because (I reckon) it sounds better. But I aint opening up that can o worms.

And oh yeah... DVS IS NOT VINYL... You might as well just play CD's. I can mix on all these formats and I'd much rather see someone on CDJ's rather than DVS with the exception of hip hop dj's because i can see the advantages for mixing hip hop (ei instant doubles for juggling ect)

Mostly vinyl and supplement with a few CD's.
Praxis
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkek View Post

I buy cd's to listen to and I buy vinyl to mix with, but these days I collect vinyl more than use it. Get it, rip it to wave, and use on DVS.

why would you do that? If you have turntables, and buy vinyl, why rip and play digital files?
mrkek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CircusMidget View Post

why would you do that? If you have turntables, and buy vinyl, why rip and play digital files?

It's just easier to find shit via a search. The larger the collection the harder to find stuff, plus it saves the back when having to go from place to place. I love my vinyl, but hate carrying it.

At home, yea, I'll crack it out every now an then, as it's the most enjoyable method of djing to me, but like I said, finding shit on demand, well, I used to be able to pull out any track on demand, but hell, the brain as more to remember these days than just where a record is.
Underdog +

meh

Times thanked
<
Plus it doesn't wear out precious records, plus some things you can only get on vinyl, plus a digital file doesn't have any inherent value
mrkek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Plus it doesn't wear out precious records, plus some things you can only get on vinyl, plus a digital file doesn't have any inherent value

Another great reason I forgot to add
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobanny View Post

And oh yeah... DVS IS NOT VINYL... You might as well just play CD's. I can mix on all these formats and I'd much rather see someone on CDJ's rather than DVS with the exception of hip hop dj's because i can see the advantages for mixing hip hop (ei instant doubles for juggling ect)

i think this is a matter of opinion tbh, i would much rather use serato than cdj's purely for the interaction with the medium. im not sure if that im just not a fan of cdj's or would miss the feel of a physical representation of a spinning record. i think this is probs directly related to the fact that im 100% vinyl at this stage but that will change this year due to new styles not pressing to vinyl.

horse for courses and all that biz.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

It devalues exclusive vinyl, so yes, a ripped file has to have a value (a negative one)
Records don't wear out, they gain character.
Balls Deep +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,918 Times in 2,021 Posts
6 years playing records and I have never had a record wear down.
talio93 +

"making a hard techno tune is one of the highest forms of endevour to which a human being can chose to devote his or her timed energy"

Times thanked
<
damn. all these vinyl threads are making me want to start playing/collecting vinyl.
only 17.. part time job = hardly any money for records... although i'm seriously considering selling torq and going all vinyl.
thats like $350 worth of vinyl to start out with... but i don't know if i could support weekly or even monthly vinyl purchases!
GLXY Theory - A Future Beats Blog
Follow GLXY on Facebook and Twitter

dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by talio93 View Post

damn. all these vinyl threads are making me want to start playing/collecting vinyl.
only 17.. part time job = hardly any money for records... although i'm seriously considering selling torq and going all vinyl.
thats like $350 worth of vinyl to start out with... but i don't know if i could support weekly or even monthly vinyl purchases!

It's good you have been inspired to go all vinyl but if i could offer some advice keep torq and just try and save your money for vinyl cause there is nothing worse than not being able to get a track you really want on vinyl, it's good to have the best of both worlds.
Maybe you could find some cheap tracks on ebay doesn't matter if there not the latest tunes sometimes people sell there tunes in bunch's and they are quite cheap i have scored a few bargins this way.
good luck

oh and buy the way there is heaps of cheap techno
funk you
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
You shouldn't just go out and spend $350 on vinyl anyway talio, best way is to go shopping each week, and buy 1 or 2 tracks at a time. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
This way you filter out all the shit, and end up buying only the tracks you are really feeling. After a year or two of that, you will have a decent collection.
talio93 +

"making a hard techno tune is one of the highest forms of endevour to which a human being can chose to devote his or her timed energy"

Times thanked
<
yeah, i didnt mean going out to spend it all at once... just meant that i'd have that much in general to spend on tunes.
i wouldnt have much to mix with though when i start out...which could be quite annoying
GLXY Theory - A Future Beats Blog
Follow GLXY on Facebook and Twitter

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts

Quote:

Try something with a simpler structure, which is still tough music maybe? Hard techno perhaps. If you love nasty music, I can't imagine you enjoying mixing house at all!

I've got a bunch of hard techno records too, I made a list a while ago of tracks I like that I was going to learn with, just haven't got around to it. Thanks for the advice! But you can just imagine, hours on end and getting nowhere, it can be frustrating
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobanny View Post

Still play heaps of vinyl. But for me the main reason is because (I reckon) it sounds better. But I aint opening up that can o worms.

Mostly vinyl and supplement with a few CD's.

Really? Using vinyl to manipulate songs is not vinyl? Are you high?

It feels exactly the same as vinyl, sounds pretty much the same too when you manipulate it (minus the hiss and crackle)
Beatport
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
haha, i agree. there is some grey area though, like for people who solely use dvs.. it would be downright offensive if they tried to claim they are vinyl djs. but for someone that plays both, with each method you are using the exact same techniques on a vinyl record, and the same noises came out, so why get picky about what happens in between the record and the speakers?

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
DVS is digital, vinyl is analogue. You don't need vinyl for the DVS
It's sort of like comparing a HK monaro with a VZ commodore, they are both cars, but one sounds better and takes a little more effort to drive and maintain.
mrkek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CircusMidget View Post

DVS is digital, vinyl is analogue. You don't need vinyl for the DVS
It's sort of like comparing a HK monaro with a VZ commodore, they are both cars, but one sounds better and takes a little more effort to drive and maintain.

explain the difference between using a vinyl, and Traktor Scratch Pro with vinyl timecode, playing wave tracks ripped from vinyl?

Besides the obvious PC/laptop, soundcard, what is the difference?

EDIT:
I shouldn't take this so lightly, but hahaha, but my Hackin-tosh-iba (Toshiba running OSX) just shat itself after going to convert some more vinyl.
Looks like I'll have to finally bite the bullet and actually get a Mac finally.
Did you just put a hex on me or something midget? hahaha

Last edited by mrkek: 24-Jun-10 at 11:48pm

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
Emotional involvement, frequency response, quantization, warmth, plus more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_...ital_recording
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

A lot of it is subjective, but hey, humans are emotional creatures, and there just doesn't seem to be the same depth of love with the digital files.

I will quite happily throw digital files around like ninja stars and use them as drink coasters. I would never do that with analogue.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkek View Post

explain the difference between using a vinyl, and Traktor Scratch Pro with vinyl timecode, playing wave tracks ripped from vinyl?

It still amazes me when people don't grasp the very real physics behind the reprodution of sound from records compared to digital means.

Take a CDJ and a turntable plugged into a mixer and turn things up (lots) ... now tap on the CDJ ... nothing ... now tap on the turntable ... *thump thump thump* ... why is it so ?!

Saying digital tunes via DVS is exactly like playing tunes straight off vinyl is like saying playing on a MIDI controller keyboard is the same as playing a real piano ... yes they can sound and feel very similar, but there's nuances of performance and sound characteristics that are worlds apart.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<
Take sound out of the equation and it's the same is all I'm saying.

I'd rather see a DJ using DVS with vinyl control than CDJ's actually. And at any rate, if I take my DVS system out I usually take a handful of vinyl to play out with too as it's way more fun.
Beatport
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub View Post

breakcore ain't that hard to mix ... and 90% of the dubstep is pretty straight forward too

However, that said, if you play/mix a diverse range of these sounds, if you have a crack at house you'll laugh at how easy it is

weirdly enough, i find stuff with a broken beat easier to mix than house... just makes it way easier for me to count the beats if it's broken, as opposed to if it's straight house music.

but hey, different strokes for different folks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer View Post

Take sound out of the equation and it's the same is all I'm saying.

Underdog +

meh

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Deep View Post

6 years playing records and I have never had a record wear down.

after 19 years of back- queing certain parts if my records are definitely suffering!
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<
one thing that hasn't been mentioned in the this thread is how awesomerecord cover and sticker art can be!

that is definately a factor that contributes to why I still buy/play records.

e.g.

http://soundcloud.com/thereturn
http://woo-ha.com/

Last edited by TheReturn: 25-Jun-10 at 12:22pm

defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
<
Yeah that 1st kick does wear down. But who but your cans ever hears that?
SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<
Why you gotta be hatin' man

It feels exactly the same to me when I'm spinning my vinyl as it does when I'm spinning my DVS
Beatport
Blake Thompson +

Times thanked
<
yep still use it, just like most of the byron djs.. only way to go really.. it's definately not dead and no way is it dying anytime soon
http://soundcloud.com/blakethompson
domiNate +

Times thanked
<
I bought Traktor Pro last year and thought i'd never look at real vinyl again...I certainly haven't missed paying $20-$30 for 1 record with maybe 3 or 4 remixes on it. So I don't buy records with just club mixes on them like i used to - unless i really want an original press of one of them.

Now I mainly buy battle records and double copies of cool songs to beat-juggle. For certain quicker scratches the timecode cant keep up with the wrist movement involved and doesn't always give the same sound effect as it would if you were scratching with real vinyl. With beat-juggling you need to use the records sticker as a reference to where the sample is when scratching, with traktor the points you use on the sticker as a reference will not always reflect the same section of the song and changes as you are spinning back the record.
In the good old USA %91 of the population believes that the Earth was majestically created in just 7 days;
with this event taking place only 10,000 years ago.

Hmmm......the bible OR 21st century science???

NenadL +

......errrr I got nothin

Times thanked
<
For any newbies or cd/mp3/wave dj's that want to start getting into vinyl here are a few reasons why it is a good idea:
1. You are very unlikely to loose your vinyl
2. You will love the feel of vinyl
3. If a vinyl record is free from scratches it will play scratch free
4. Vinyl will never corrupt. (it will scratch IF you don't look after it)
5. You will gain a better appreciation for the music by taking the time to read the label
6. You will have an asset that you can sell in the future if your tastes change.

If you are worried about the cost, sure buying one or two records from Juno is expensive because the freight kills you, so here are some ideas:
1. Try shop local if there is a vinyl shop in your area
2. If ordering online, place an order with a mate or two, so you can split the freight cost. Works out a lot cheaper.
3. Keep a look out at 2nd hand/pawn shops. People desperate for cash will sometime sell a crate to them for peanuts and you can be lucky to score some great records for $2 a pop.
4. Attend Vinyl fair
5. Juno often have sale vinyls. I recently spent a few hours searching through the bargain bin and found 5 great records each under 2 pound. I incorporated with a few new releases and it worked out very cheap.
6. Lots of bargains on Discogs!
7. Don't submit an order straight away! Once you've put a bunch of records in your cart, log off and come back later in the day or the next day and re-listen to your tracks. You'll be surprised how your mood and opinion can change.
www.discoveryrecords.com.au
www.soundcloud.com/nenad-lonic
www.soundcloud.com/discoveryrecords
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<
^^^ thats great advice for all the kiddies out there, also if you buy classic timeless tunes you wont get sick of playing them either, another place to find a bargain is ebay .
funk you
SonicDistortion +

Fresh Prince Of Darkness

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by NenadL View Post

For any newbies or cd/mp3/wave dj's that want to start getting into vinyl here are a few reasons why it is a good idea:
1. You are very unlikely to loose your vinyl
2. You will love the feel of vinyl
3. If a vinyl record is free from scratches it will play scratch free
4. Vinyl will never corrupt. (it will scratch IF you don't look after it)
5. You will gain a better appreciation for the music by taking the time to read the label
6. You will have an asset that you can sell in the future if your tastes change.

If you are worried about the cost, sure buying one or two records from Juno is expensive because the freight kills you, so here are some ideas:
1. Try shop local if there is a vinyl shop in your area
2. If ordering online, place an order with a mate or two, so you can split the freight cost. Works out a lot cheaper.
3. Keep a look out at 2nd hand/pawn shops. People desperate for cash will sometime sell a crate to them for peanuts and you can be lucky to score some great records for $2 a pop.
4. Attend Vinyl fair
5. Juno often have sale vinyls. I recently spent a few hours searching through the bargain bin and found 5 great records each under 2 pound. I incorporated with a few new releases and it worked out very cheap.
6. Lots of bargains on Discogs!
7. Don't submit an order straight away! Once you've put a bunch of records in your cart, log off and come back later in the day or the next day and re-listen to your tracks. You'll be surprised how your mood and opinion can change.

Good advice.

I'm 100% Vinyl, these days I'm the only DJ on the lineup who uses the turntables at a party. Reading this thread its nice to know I'm not the only one.
"All things change in a dynamic environment"

"What has been the biggest high of my career? I was going to say the first time I got presented with two turntables, but change that to the five times I went to Australia. It's brilliant there, great atmosphere at all their parties and a beautiful country besides." - DJ Buzz Fuzz

"Freedom Is A Road Seldom Travelled By The Multitude."
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
But also remember, that the cost of shipping goes up with the quantity of records ordered , and also, buy when the exchange rate is good !
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Yorick +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

But also remember, that the cost of shipping goes up with the quantity of records ordered , and also, buy when the exchange rate is good !

Amen. I spend more on shipping for records from the UK than on the records themselves.

I still use decks, but mostly DVS these days. It's just far too convenient, don't need to spend so much time dicking around.
Page 3 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »