The DJ Booth

the DJ promoter relationship

Tools
ace23 +

Times thanked
<
the DJ promoter relationship
Im sure there has been a few threads like this but I cant seem to find them.

But is it just me or is anyone else kinda annoyed with dealing with promoters? I know that promoters pretty much have a business to run and the bottom line is important but it seems ridiculous that even if a DJ is great and can play a good set they have no chance of getting consistently booked unless they can pull a crowd.

The other point is that even if you can bring people its impossible to bring a consistent number of people if your playing a few night in a row. I mean its not cheap to party especially a few nights in a row.

And the last point is that doesn't it seem a bit unfair if a DJ has to do 2 jobs of being both a promoter and a DJ? Of course your gonna try to bring friends to events but promoters seem to have a very narrow view that you should be able to bring crowds of ppl, but isnt that the job of the promoter and the promotion team? And wouldnt the night be better if the promoter actually focused on booking good DJ's that their night can be known for instead of crappy DJ that can bring ppl.

As I said promoters, I know you've got a bottom line to think about but it just seems its less about the music and more about the money.

Ok people thats my rant people what are peoples thoughts????
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
maybe you're just crap?
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
dan_essential77 +

rockers delight!!

Times thanked
<
Topic has been done to death on here mate.
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
OP needs to clarify their question in terms of genre... Are we talking about commercial/popular music or otherwise
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
fackedd +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_essential77 View Post

Topic has been done to death on here mate.

m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace23 View Post

I know that promoters pretty much have a business to run and the bottom line is important but it seems ridiculous that even if a DJ is great and can play a good set they have no chance of getting consistently booked unless they can pull a crowd.

You expect to be payed to play to an empty room because you think you are 'really good'. If a venue told me I needed to bring 20 friends to play, I prob wouldn't do it. I realise this happens but the most I have heard asked is to post a link to the event on facey, and the few times i've had my promoter hat on that is all that I have suggested to the dj's. From memory a few times I have out up posters etc for nights but was also paid for that.
Surely the clubs/nights expecting dj's to fill their clubs with friends and work for next to nothing are shite and will not last any way?
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
It sounds like the electro house scene in Sydney, to be honest.

DJs are a dime-a-dozen. A lot of whom play illegally downloaded music, acquired from blogs and the like.

Quite happy not to be a part of it anymore, to be honest.
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
In saying this, though, looking at it from a promoter perspective, they need to raise the capital, also.

A promoter will always find it hard to pay a DJ (regardless of skill), who plays to an empty room.

Not saying I agree with the booking of the extremely untalented who spread the events to their gazillion Facebook friends, but there has to be a medium somewhere.

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<
tbh i don't find a problem PAYING a DJ based on crowd, as long as they are booked/chosen based on music/talent

the important thing is that people are chosen because of skills not guestlists, but if a promoters doing it tough its fair enough to expect the dj's to put some effort into supporting the scene.
For Guestlists to Chinese Laundry, E-mail zooshu at gmail.com

Live set recorded 27/5/11 at the Chinese Laundry Cave.
http://soundcloud.com/zwelli/zwelli-live-laundry

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zwelli/151652808237719
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<
I think the question that needs to be asked is this - who's job is it to fill the room with people wanting to party?
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
It's very easy for successful nights to book DJs, based purely on skill, as the night, itself, possesses enough pulling power to bring the punters in.

For the struggling nights, though, I suppose the DJs should take it upon themselves to be a bit "resourceful". (Unless of course by having that particular DJ on the bill is enough to bring punters through the door.)

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
TJAY +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerik View Post

I think the question that needs to be asked is this - who's job is it to fill the room with people wanting to party?

Exactly.

The irony is if you booked decent DJs who concentrate on playing decent music, then people might want to come and party. But employ people with a CD case full of low-fi MP3 and bunch of drunk mates and you'll end up getting 4 or 5 DJs on your roster playing the same shit music over and over again to a fickle crowd who'll fuck off as soon as the drink card runs out.
ace23 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJAY View Post

Exactly.

The irony is if you booked decent DJs who concentrate on playing decent music, then people might want to come and party. But employ people with a CD case full of low-fi MP3 and bunch of drunk mates and you'll end up getting 4 or 5 DJs on your roster playing the same shit music over and over again to a fickle crowd who'll fuck off as soon as the drink card runs out.

I think you've summed up the main point of my argument exactly! This is why I think the DJ should be focusing on playing good music to a crowd who appreciate the mixing and the music being played.
And of course the DJ should bring ppl, but promoters shouldn't expect them bring a consistently big number of friends and be judged only on numbers , because as I said if the DJ plays a few nights then DJ's cant be expected to bring friends to 3 different nights in a row and pay entry and drinks and all the rest of things that go with a night out.
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
This whole thing is really complex in making a night successful, and therefore the success of being booked as a DJ.

If it's your run of the mill, commerical house night, no one comes for DJ 'x'. They come for the obvious music, and if it's their mate who's playing the tunes, even easier to go down this path and book a sub-par DJ (not that playing commercial stuff makes them sub-par, just hard to listen too!).

If it's a more specific genre or dedicated crowd, so many factors...

1. The scene has to be there to support a night, even harder it its going to be a regular night.

2. If the city has a lockout, this will mean that it's harder to take a punt with a new guy/girl DJing.

3. People who like said genre may need a DJ with a bit of a name in the local scene or a promoter with a good record of quality nights- not good enough to just have 'check out our new techno night'

4. As much as you like Trance (or house or dubstep), its doesn't mean that all 20 of your mates will and will come to every gig.

5. You might be super keen for that 2.5 hour jump-up rave set, but when you're first booked, you'll be playing deep house to an empty room for half your set.

6. Ironically, many newer DJ's (and older DJ's too really) don't know how to read a crowd and can't warm up and won't keep a crowd on the floor.

7. Unfortunatly there are also factors outside anyone's control including the success of other clubs and therefore vibe of the city strip or centre (especially in club hopping style cities, with smaller venues which are all next to each other).

8. Parties often reach saturation point, with plenty that are ok, but no one going to the next level to make the night different from every other club.

9. The price of drinks and the quality/quantity of the drugs going round.

my 2 cent....
bressos +

save your scrap for Victory!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

maybe you're just crap?

Oh Snappp, Nice Burnnnn!!!
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked