Sydney

Subsonic Music Festival - 2,3,4 December 2011 - Barrington Tops

Title:

Subsonic Music Festival 2011

• Riverwood Downs Mountain Valley Resort

All About:

Description:

Australia’s most original boutique music and arts event is back in 2011, in the picturesque surrounds of Riverwood Downs Mountain Valley Resort. Dedicated to deep space electronic music, Subsonic brings together an awesome line-up of international artists in an immersive, multi-sensory...

Tools
The Fruitbat +

Punter

Times thanked
< 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Deep View Post

That set at about 3am in the big top from the guy wearing a horse mask was fucken bonkers. Perfect time for it and place was going bananas.

Can't wait for next year. Lots of laught were had.

That was Daheen.

He plays @ doofs around Oz pretty regularly. Got a wicked AV show when the production allows it as well.

Media Player
YouTube
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
< 142
fuck yeah
FTorres +

Times thanked
< 167
Some points -

• SQL: Pretty cool music. Holding an iPad out with both arms and above your head 'working' the effects = not cool.
• Antix: Awesome prog. As it was only one of them it was good to see a DJ set this year compared to the live set last year.
• The Upbeats: Proper DnB. Was impressed. Will be checking out and purchasing some of their music this week.
• Dubmarine: Were very good. Chilling up the back with a drink in the sun watching them was a fine way to spend the day.
• Dave and Renae: Wicked toons as always
• Animistix: Live 5 piece band who incorporate a didgeridoo in to their music. Thought they were really good and was cool to see something different.
• Chali 2na: Close to my favourite act from the weekend. What a legend. He is a talented mo fo
• Simon Caldwell: Solid tunage as expected
• D&D (HAHA): Heard some of the best music all weekend from these 2 guys. Book again next year for sure. Their last track was absolutely epic.
• Phil Kieran: The less said the better.
• Daheen: So much fun. Hearing that frog baseline track combined with watching him in the mask will never get old, it’s hilarious and awesome at the same time
• Epic Sunise Set, Galaktik and Darkchild: Saw the last 2 hours of their set and every tune was as good as the last. So hard to describe their style.. great driving pace with lots of string influenced sounds. Would love to get hold of some sets or mixes of theirs if there’s any out there. Such a good booking from Subsonic and I hope they play again next year.
• Perfect Stranger: :rock : So good
• Minilogue: Live intelligent music at it’s best.
• Apparat band: Thought they were pretty good. Def prefer his DJ sets though, the band had nothing on his gig at the Forum the other year. Anyways glad I got to hear Rusty Nails from the band as well as Candil De la Calle.
• Riverwood Downs is such a beautiful site. Couldn’t think of a better place to hold the event.
• Campsite drinks and chills are good
• The festival was packed compared to last year. This is a positive thing and I hope the bills are being paid and the brand can keep bringing the solid line ups.
• My only gripe was the 3 hours it took to get in due to an issue with ticket scanning or something. That was not cool and please do not allow that to happen again.
• See you next year. Please consider booking some of the Zenon Records boys, ie Sensient, Tetrameth, Shadow Fx, SunControlSpecies, Grouch, Merkaba. Would go down so well at Subsonic.. has that blend between deep, psy, minimal.. their music would appeal to a good chunk of the crowd imo

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area and drink fancy champagne. I don't need big breaks and a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons... I'm just going for the music.

The Fruitbat +

Punter

Times thanked
< 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTorres View Post

• See you next year. Please consider booking some of the Zenon Records boys, ie Sensient, Tetrameth, Shadow Fx, SunControlSpecies, Grouch, Merkaba. Would go down so well at Subsonic.. has that blend between deep, psy, minimal.. their music would appeal to a good chunk of the crowd imo

Word!!
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
< 20
so much win was so fucked all weekend only really remember being at the paradiso stage all friday night / sat monring and when the sun was all the way up and i felt like it was still 3am and the sun got up to dance with me and so i danced with the sun

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

The Fruitbat +

Punter

Times thanked
< 44
excellent
Shepz +

Times thanked
< 67
Wow I had fun!!! Seriously responsive crowd there too. (no surprise really hey?!).

Guy stuck in the mud up to his thighs was a winner!
Church of Techno, La Famiglia, Minimal Sydney, The Techno Bug (London)

La Famiglia every Saturday @ The Burdekin Hotel (10pm-7am)

Tracks and Mixes: http://www.soundcloud.com/shepz
DarkPhoenix +

Man of the Moment

Times thanked
< 24
Sounds like it was a fun weekend. From all the posts in my newsfeed it sounds like everyone did much more than they should've. No sniffer dogs then?
previous artists hosted by Golden Cage
Carl Craig - Octave One - Desyn Masiello - Guti - Kate Simko - John Roberts - Chloe Harris - Sasha Le Monnier - Shonky - Ahmet Sendil
JohnsonSmith +

Deregistered User

Times thanked
< 59
who was the chick playing Paradiso stage whilst it was running late / waiting for Marc Antona?
Shepz +

Times thanked
< 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post

Sounds like it was a fun weekend. From all the posts in my newsfeed it sounds like everyone did much more than they should've. No sniffer dogs then?

Rumour has it that the cops were on strike that weekend anyway, no fines being issued. Not sure if it's true or not?

I saw a few of them (literally 3) but what I saw they pretty much left everyone to it and had a laugh looking around.
Church of Techno, La Famiglia, Minimal Sydney, The Techno Bug (London)

La Famiglia every Saturday @ The Burdekin Hotel (10pm-7am)

Tracks and Mixes: http://www.soundcloud.com/shepz
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
< 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepz View Post

Guy stuck in the mud up to his thighs was a winner!

That was Felix, he was a champ!!
JovanS +

Times thanked
< 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnsonSmith View Post

who was the chick playing Paradiso stage whilst it was running late / waiting for Marc Antona?

I got her name but have forgotten it.
She mentioned Antona missed his flight..

She played some wicked tunes though.
cozmick +

Times thanked
< 5
Holly Fuck my legs are sore...Im a bit wobbly on my feet today. Never seen so many happy people just smile for 3 days.
Hey did see that super bright hat on Fri night. Well that was me.
My best was Heart Tribe playing live in the Turtle cafe. 1980's scar music with a new funky sound. The tent just went OFF. Im 48 and spent the 80's chaseing SCAR PUNK and SKIN bands around. Fuck I am going to chase Heart Tribe around Sydney 2012.
HEART TRIBE ON THE MAIN STAGE NEXT YEAR PLEASE!!!!!!
Please Help. There were some really funky tunes in the Pizza Lab. What the fuck is that sound called It was awsome. The only time I am sure of was Sunday arvo T-BOY and ADI B were playing. At one time they played an old Saturday Night Fever song from the 80's The whole pace just screamed with delight. Im am also going to chase that sound aroud in 2012. What is its genre name. Where can I go to find it in Sydney.
The only Dis I had was that the form guide did not have the genre types beside the Djs names as it did last year. I must have asked 50 young dudes which ones are Psy-trance and Techno.
I spent the late nights in the tent dome (Chapel) Some great Psytrance. On Fri they let the strobe light go a few short blasts. More Strobe Please.
Oh well only 363 sleeps till the next Subsonic. I might go Wed next year. I arrived late thur night and was to excited to sleep.

I hope to see you at Heart Tribe gigs next year. I will be the old guy with the biggest smile.
Mick
Balls Deep +

Times thanked
< 7,918
Bit like this today at work

It's over you BASTARDS!
angy +

DEFQON.1!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
< 244

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Deep View Post

That set at about 3am in the big top from the guy wearing a horse mask was fucken bonkers. Perfect time for it and place was going bananas.

Can't wait for next year. Lots of laught were had.

Oh man... I wondered in there for that, proper headcave material

Such a hysterical weekend! Such a circus atmosphere, uncontrollably loose, non-stop hilarity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverh View Post

Angy: All About The PLUR

Quote:

more PLUR please Angy.

aguilare +

bobloblawslawblogbobloblawslawblogbobloblawslawblog

Times thanked
< 10
Goodtimes!!

Best parts:

Chali2na followed by Hermitude

The 3am at the Big Top was something special, that guy kept on changing outfits, he started off dressed as a bunny, then Michael Jackson, then a cow and finally a Horse - In-fricken-sane.

Falling asleep to Dubstep and waking up to Jungle at the River Stage

Falafal Pockets and chillin by the river, listening to Tech at the Pizza Lab

Last edited by aguilare: 06-Dec-11 at 10:34am

T-Boy +

http://soundcloud.com/t-boy

Times thanked
< 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozmick View Post

Please Help. There were some really funky tunes in the Pizza Lab. What the fuck is that sound called It was awsome. The only time I am sure of was Sunday arvo T-BOY and ADI B were playing. At one time they played an old Saturday Night Fever song from the 80's The whole pace just screamed with delight. Im am also going to chase that sound aroud in 2012. What is its genre name. Where can I go to find it in Sydney.

Glad you enjoyed it mate, it was definitely going off in the Pizza Lab stage for a few hours on the Sunday

Adi B played the Disco tunes, I was playing a mix of Deep House and Deep Techno before him..... the next gig I'm playing is SPACE on NYD, so drop me a PM on here if you fancy discount tickets.
(and search for 'Finely Tuned' and 'Pulse Radio' on Facebook to find out about similar events)

I'm going to record a mix of the tracks I played this week and will put it on my Pulse Radio artist page.

Will post the link soon
T-BOY ::Underground House Music
PULSE RADIO mixes :: http://pulseradio.net/artists/t-boy
BEATPORT :: http://dj.beatport.com/t-boy ::
SoundCloud :: http://soundcloud.com/t-boy :: Mixes and tracks from myself

The Fruitbat +

Punter

Times thanked
< 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by angy View Post

Oh man... I wondered in there for that, proper headcave material

Such a hysterical weekend! Such a circus atmosphere, uncontrollably loose, non-stop hilarity.

It's not that easy..... bein' green

Media Player
YouTube

Times thanked
< 2,034
Oh mang, so many laughs, so many great people, so many good times. Was as good, if not better than last year. Good to see heaps of ****s there I knew.

My only complaint was that it took us 4 fucking hours in the line to get into the festival. An hour I would have dealt with no worries, but 4? Unacceptable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 992
just an awesome weekend, so many lovely people, so much great & diverse music...........couldnt have hoped for anything better

was really surprised when we arrived on friday arvo and saw that line of cars, testament to how popular this is getting.

my highlights of the weekend, Minilouge, Max Cooper (even though he needs to back off the effects a LOT), D&D, Simon Caldwell, Phil Smart, a Guy Called Gerald, SQL, Barton from ANtix (maybe the set of the fesival for me) DarkChild & Galaktik, the munted guy playing prog on sunday in the psy tent, Robbie Lowe, Bump DJ's, Jimi POlar, Chris Honnery, Jordan Deck, Darius Bassiray, and last but not least, seeing the beautiful Trinity receive a round of applause at the end of her amazingly melodic emotional techno set on Sat arvo....had a few people near tears!
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG

Last edited by pomrocks: 06-Dec-11 at 03:10pm

The Fruitbat +

Punter

Times thanked
< 44
Couple of Perfect Stranger Live sets on his FB page for those interested.

https://www.facebook.com/perfectlyst...55978277808398

http://soundcloud.com/perfect-strang...anger-live-303

DJ sets are not the best imo.... all about his Live sets @ 303 Art Festival and Eclipse.

Last edited by The Fruitbat: 06-Dec-11 at 12:53pm

Chad_wick +

Times thanked
< 0
I can truly say that this was one of the best festivals I have had the pleasure of attending I am still smiling at work today and would like to thank everyone involved in putting subsonic together,

Flew solo from 1am onwards on saturday had a sensational evening getting to meet so many great people Max Coopers set was amazing,

I'd like to thank you all for the random campsite convesations which were had the laughs were insane, so so good.
We should have a party, you know one of those parties that goes beyond fun & actually get's really really nasty.
gowmesh +

Times thanked
< 5
hectic festival... has such an amazing time... was in no rush... walk and watch a bit of the movie in the cimena then go and see the jokers show "shutup" hehe....though weirdest thing happen. was walking back to the caravan after playing a bit of kicking the ball aroundthat I ran into a co worker... yap just looked @ each other and started cracking up....
Bitsmasher +

alldeathmetalallthetime

Times thanked
< 301
fun.
I'm a DJ, I push the volume up to 10
the lights are dancing in the red, I'm distorting it again
Trinitydj +

Times thanked
< 57
Beautiful festival, ran by peeps that know good music. All the DJs played amazingly! Really loved Jordan Deck, Raffi and Haigs sunrise set, Bump DJs, Simon Caldwell and Robbie Lowe. The Pizza lab was such a great addition to the festival this year too! I think i ate a million of those yummy pizzas on the w.e

Thanks Subsonic crew, festival of the year for me xxx
DJ Trinity//Trinity LIVE

website & facebook page
MissAnge +

She has the blood of reptile just underneath her skin..

Times thanked
< 863
Oh yes, the pizzas were delish!!
...what does that even mean?!
JohnsonSmith +

Deregistered User

Times thanked
< 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnsonSmith View Post

Anyone??
LisaP_ +

hand in hand is the only way to land

Times thanked
< 2
What an awesome, loose weekend. Subsonic never fails to deliver. I love that as soon as you enter, time doesnt matter.

Highlights - again, the music was such quality, Subsonic crew really know their stuff. And to the crowd - thankyou to everyone for being so loose and keeping me endlessly entertained.

Floating down the river on a boat was definitely one of the best things ive done recently. I would love to be able to wish myself back there right now.

The only downer would be the three hour wait to get into the festival.

Thanks everyone for an awesome time - see you next year.
Dexter Ramone +

MAD MEX

Times thanked
< 65
To the loose character who talked to an empty tent (which wasn't his) for an hour and a half on friday night; with the only decipherable word he said being 'conundrum' I salute you.

We took a picture of you after you passed out on it before your friends finally came to drag you away. We'll never know why you felt the need to take your pants down before you fell.

Elliot G +

Times thanked
< 36
Lots and lots of fun. Being my first time, I truly had no idea what to expect - but everyone kept telling me that I would love it. And I did.

Too much fun to report, too many highlights to remember, but I do know that I want to do it all again. Writing the review is going to be fun :-)

Good times with all that I hung out with, danced with, drank with, rolled around in the grass with, ate pizza with.......... ^5 to all
LisaP_ +

hand in hand is the only way to land

Times thanked
< 2
I wish time machines existed!
Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 524
Sounds like it was pretty epic. Guess I'll be making sure I put away some pennies to attend next year (albeit completely straight and sober...could be an interesting experience )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 992
wowk, its actually one of the only festivals that you can do sober....my other half was totally sober saturday & sunday and had a ball
Playing at;

SHRUG
thunderbot +

Times thanked
< 24
Random#1: "Excuse me, what time is it?"
Random#2: "Hmmmmm. The time is NOW!"
DISCO_BUS +

Times thanked
< 4
Same as everyone has already stated. Amazing weekend. Couldn't have had a better crew to travel and camp with.

For me the musical highlight would have to be the 3 hours of Spoonbill, Opiou and Mr Bill, those guys carved it and everyone there was just having a blast. Such fun music.

For anyone who hopped on the bus for a party, hoped you enjoyed yourself. Sorry if we kept anyone awake on the Fridy night, it was only 10:00pm and I made sure to close doors and windows. Wold have loved to have finished off Sunday night with tunes and some awesome people as I had told some of my intentions but computer said no.

Adios,

Disco Bus
For all your mobile parties, after parties and transportation needs:
josh@discobus.com.au
www.discobus.com.au
Photos
angy +

DEFQON.1!!!!!!!!!!!

Times thanked
< 244

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Ramone View Post

To the loose character who talked to an empty tent (which wasn't his) for an hour and a half on friday night; with the only decipherable word he said being 'conundrum' I salute you.

We took a picture of you after you passed out on it before your friends finally came to drag you away. We'll never know why you felt the need to take your pants down before you fell.

All hail to "THE CONUNDRUM"!!!

This was me dressed up like a Xmas tree on Sunday night, along with my mate Paul in his green jumpsuit...

Quote:

Angy: All About The PLUR

Quote:

more PLUR please Angy.

Last edited by angy: 06-Dec-11 at 03:38pm

Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
< 2,115
Highlight of my weekend: Probably the guy who Ian and I met who asked us if we knew anyone who was driving to Melbourne who had a spare seat in their car. We apologised and said we didn't know anyone.

Fast forward two hours, we see him again, and ask him if he sorted out a lift. His response?

"Nah, change of plans, I'm moving to Sydney."

He wasn't kidding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
As everyone said, it was a truly awesome weekend. Such a brilliantly run festival. We introduced a few new punters to the festival and they are already talking about next year.

Subsonic has a great lineup but it is about so much more than that, it has this tremendous vibe, with so many friendly happy people. I met a few ITMers which was good also.

For me the musical highlight was Minilogue - brilliant music for their sunday night time slot which was the best night of the festival imo. I also spent heaps of time in the pizza lab which was a great addition to the festival - really good music in there all weekend.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about the festival (I even missed the long wait in the que).

Can't wait to do it all again next year.
"...and I know that I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with. And I know that given the choice I probably wouldn't have chosen you as friends but I just wanna say that over the years I've come to regard you as........ people I met."
- Arnold Rimmer, Red Dwarf.
DISCO_BUS +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones View Post

Highlight of my weekend: Probably the guy who Ian and I met who asked us if we knew anyone who was driving to Melbourne who had a spare seat in their car. We apologised and said we didn't know anyone.

Fast forward two hours, we see him again, and ask him if he sorted out a lift. His response?

"Nah, change of plans, I'm moving to Sydney."

He wasn't kidding.

Haha guy next door who had "Made in Brunswick" on his shirt put up a fb msg on the subsonic page last night saying he was stuck at Newcastle Airport, and the airport was closing in like 1 hour, looking for somewhere to stay.
For all your mobile parties, after parties and transportation needs:
josh@discobus.com.au
www.discobus.com.au
Photos
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
< 2,115
That was him man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

moonz999 +

Times thanked
< 0
Does anyone know who played the closing set at the Pizza Lab late sunday night/Early monday morning? That set was amazing!
Balls Deep +

Times thanked
< 7,918
Yeah that was a good set. That take me to the river track was very apt.

I think we should all get a medal for making it to work today.
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,435

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones View Post

That was him man.

Dude, they where all loose crack ups.
With their tagged "Rape dome".

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

bigtobz +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

wowk, its actually one of the only festivals that you can do sober....my other half was totally sober saturday & sunday and had a ball

I'm glad that you didn't try to claim that you were...exhibit A for the jury

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	34834
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 992
fucking

sat night was a bit of a mystery
Playing at;

SHRUG
tigerace +

Times thanked
< 44
That was the most insane space cadet convention I have ever been to.
Its hard to explain to people what went down, the best I could come up with is that is a place where you can come and act like a child again and do whatever the fuck you want and no one is going to give a shit.
Ever since I got back I have been floating around feeling the most relaxed I have in years.

Fuck this shit Im going to wondering into the forrest and become a sunflower..
Unconformed +

No longer online

Times thanked
< 12
That was the boom thanks subbers for having me up!

Anyone who was inducted into the helicopter cult pls pm for secret handshake etc.

Too good scott and marco and the rest you guys are owning! you are
http://soundcloud.com/tmodj
yaella +

Check out my Subsonic Festival Launch photos!

Times thanked
< 5
The weekend was amaze-balls, as to be expected!

Shout out to all the awesome ITMers I met along the way and cheers to Subsonic for throwing the best festival ever! Be sure to check out my photos I took for ITM,

http://www.inthemix.com.au/gallery/3...l_2011/photo#1
gyarados +

Times thanked
< 24
Agreed on it being the most insane space convention ever haha. Completely off head weekend. A Guy called Gerald was my musical highlight but the weekend as a whole was totally bonkers. I was speaking gibberish Sunday night harrrrdihar
Benny and the jets +

Habitual Line-Stepper

Times thanked
< 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyarados View Post

Agreed on it being the most insane space convention ever haha. Completely off head weekend. A Guy called Gerald was my musical highlight but the weekend as a whole was totally bonkers. I was speaking gibberish Sunday night harrrrdihar

Simon Caldwell - Phil Smart - A Guy Called Gerald - D&D at the Paradiso stage was my favourite few hours of the festival, best quote was a mate asking "Can we smoke in here?"

Will definitely go again

« Previous Thread Next Thread »