The DJ Booth

Who thinks vinyl is dead... or dying a slow painful death?

View Poll Results: Is vinyl dead.. or dying a slow painful death?
Yes vinyl is dead 11 4.44%
Vinyl isnt dead yet.. but it soon will be 47 18.95%
Vinyl will still be used for a while yet 77 31.05%
Vinyl will never die 113 45.56%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Tools
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by toilet trained

fact is DJ's have to buy a shed load of records if they are spinning every weekend. the financial side of things just doesn't add up anymore, nor the inconveniences of carrying record crates around everywhere.

This is why i've never pursued having a weekly gig. I was actually talking about this with my partner (who also mixes) this weekend.

I have a splurge on vinyl ever couple of weeks and it takes me those 2 weeks to appreciate that handful (3-8 12"s) tunes i've picked up. Then i think about how i can string them together in a mix, which takes another week or 2 ... let alone thinking about how they work with older tracks.

I like to take the time to get to know tracks and enjoy them. If i was under the pressure of having a weekly gig to have fresh tunes week in week out then i'd quickly go through tunes and move onto the new ones before i'd really gotten to know some older ones.

i still don't know about a lot of the tracks i own.

I can't imagine buying shitloads of digital tracks every week ... i can just see many of them falling by the wayside and not appreciating them.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
<
Thread still going. Vinyl circle jerk continues.

Personally, i find the medium used to translate recorded music so that the masses can listen to it is the least interesting aspect of the music. The composition and arranging, the meter and rhythms, and the various timbres used are what excite me about music.

I have music on 4 different formats, collected since 1979. Cassettes, vinyl, cds and mp3s. CDs are probably my favourite format as their development has enabled bands I like, like The Necks, to record 70 minute continuous pieces where I can be lost in the music for that length of time. Same now goes for other experimental jazz style pieces and classical too. You couldn't do that with cassettes, nor vinyl.

That said, vinyl is great for short attention span music like EDM and pop and rock music etc, except that if you wanna kick on the couch, light up a spliff and listen to an album in its entirety then that gets interrupted by having to get up after 20 mins to turn the record over.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.... Lord Byron
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
^^^ Hard out! It becomes so disposable so quickly! (to funkendub)

Was in Polyester Records on Brunswick St yesterday, they have some seriously dope vinyl in there...all re-releases/new and mostly LPs. Crap loads in there I'd consider if I had the coin to spend.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitchen

That said, vinyl is great for short attention span music like EDM and pop and rock music etc, except that if you wanna kick on the couch, light up a spliff and listen to an album in its entirety then that gets interrupted by having to get up after 20 mins to turn the record over.

and here's me thinking the idea of vinyl was to mix the tunes together seemlessly.

what a fool i've been.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

chimby +

You've got to be kitten me!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

vinyl is comparable to books in some respects.

Sitting down to read a book is a different experience than hitting a web page

Pulling out a record and dropping the needle on it is different from pressing play on Winamp.

Of course what you get out of it in the end will essentially be the same. Of course, there's the choice of having a shelf full of books (for reference or future reading by others) and a record collection ... or a PC sitting on your desk.

As old fashioned as it maybe to some people, as humans we sometimes like a tangible artefact to associate our different experiences with rather than the same grey/beige/black/white box that every thing else comes from.

These sentiments are the exact reason I've instantly fallen in love with vinyl over the past few weeks.
tony d +

The Knights who say ‘Ni’

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I find the opposite. When a record is playing it demands your attention as you have to listen out for the end of it.
http://www.soulshine.org
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones

and here's me thinking the idea of vinyl was to mix the tunes together seemlessly.

what a fool i've been.

Um... the vast majority of music that has ever been recorded to vinyl is not EDM that can be mixed.
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony d

I find the opposite. When a record is playing it demands your attention as you have to listen out for the end of it.

I would have thought the music iteelf, if composed well, should be good enough to demand your attention, not some superfluous action required to continue it playing?
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Um... the vast majority of music that has ever been recorded to vinyl is not EDM that can be mixed.

yeah but.. context.

Quote:

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Sometimes ya just can't be fucked standing up
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones

yeah but.. context.

Sure, for this website. But a lot of the discussion on this particular thread has been about non-EDM music as well, hence my comments.
Jubei +

Poobei

Times thanked
<
Try relaxing to some reggae 7's, and you have to get up to change the bloody record every 3 minutes.

That said I still <3 vinyl
o|<]:
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I would have thought the music iteelf, if composed well, should be good enough to demand your attention, not some superfluous action required to continue it playing?

as a producer of music consider this ...

for someone to play your music from an MP3 they can scroll through a playlist and click on your track, and just as quickly click on the next track with next to no thought or emotion attached to the process.

Your track might even just popup as their library goes through everything in shuffle mode.

With a record they have to go to the right crate, flip through several other records, physically pull yours out and put in on the decks ... obviously the convenience just isn't there, and neither is the prompt accessibility. But often there can be some emotion attached to a particular record for various reasons and looking for the particular artefact can recall those emotions. Humans are creatures of emotion, so these is completely feasible and it would be foolish to write such an experience off.

What is there with selecting a record is a certain intent followed by a commitment to a certain action to follow up on the initial thought.

So as a producer (imo anyway) i'd have more satisfaction knowing that someone has gone to a certain degree of effort to listen to something i spent much time and energy on rather than them gliby passing over it on a iPod playlist.

Then there's the consideration of an "album" ... granted most of this discussion is mostly in regards to EDM, but the concept of an album (and a concept album even) was probably re-enforced by the introduction of CDs but is being lost in the realm of digital files.

who the fuk wants to listen to a 70 minute piece btw ... 40 minutes i can appreciate though, but not 70 minutes

funkedub dot com

Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

as a producer of music consider this ...

for someone to play your music from an MP3 they can scroll through a playlist and click on your track, and just as quickly click on the next track with next to no thought or emotion attached to the process.

who the fuk wants to listen to a 70 minute piece btw ... 40 minutes i can appreciate though, but not 70 minutes

Well now we have to distinguish between the various forms of digital music. Most people arguing here are doing an MP3 v vinyl comparison. I don't buy many MP3s, i buy mostly CDs and all are albums, so I'm talking CD vs vinyl.

And yeh, I understand that for this website the context is mainly not around albums but individual tracks. I'm less interested in that I suppose.

haha... 70 mins. I suppose I'm lucky I'm not from the ADHD Generation.
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<
I want to listen to 70 piece of music if it's by the necks. and I have done.
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

definately agree with these sentiments..

Quote:

what were DJ's doing before EDM? hmmm *scratchhead* not having a stab at you spitchen.. just saying.. you can play a set of any music..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

Sometimes ya just can't be fucked standing up

that is when you get into producing...
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts

Quote:

Well now we have to distinguish between the various forms of digital music. Most people arguing here are doing an MP3 v vinyl comparison. I don't buy many MP3s, i buy mostly CDs and all are albums, so I'm talking CD vs vinyl.

And yeh, I understand that for this website the context is mainly not around albums but individual tracks. I'm less interested in that I suppose.

haha... 70 mins. I suppose I'm lucky I'm not from the ADHD Generation.

Haha... I am, but I enjoy well mixed live sets full of tracks I like. That's half the reason I want to learn to mix (but I'm still failing miserably), just so I can make sets for myself and friends. I love collecting vinyl too, so it's a good excuse to do that.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

ShuffleStuff +

paris is for losers

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,423 Posts
I just gave a heap of vinyl away........ doubt i'll miss it that much. I value nothing really though
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
lol^

but if your serious and your giving away all your possessions and you value nothing, maybe you should have a chat to some of your close mates /family, and try to put things in perspective.

Chin up !
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts
^don't listen to him, instead, give me all your possessions.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Mickey1 +

Mike

Times thanked
<
It is simply the beginning of the end as much as i love vinyl, its really hard not to notice that in the not to distant future Vinyl will no longer be available to the masses but only to a select few who are holding on to there Gramophones...

Enough of this talk of Vinyl is dead for ever, it will be still around for a while yet man. i have the Full set up Turntables CDJ's Serato and an M-Audio Axiom Midi Controller that i have no idea how to use. My biggest mistake was to buy Serato and those FKN CDJ's....Thinking it will be Replacing my Vinyl Addiction man was i wrong my Cdjs have gone back to the shop 5 times and Serato absolute bullshit of a program and equipment the worst.

My Records and Tables are yet to Fail me During a Gig, its also so unfortunate that allot of the bars and night clubs no longer cater for the Vinyl Pusher anymore Club owners / Promoters need to wise the Fuck up. Digital Djs are just to clean and lack the Human Element to Djing i like to here a Djs transition slightly out some times it reminds me that it is not an easy task that they are doing as i also have a hard time on the tables rather than press the Sync Button on Virtual Dj / Tractor.
Mike

Technical Support/Sales Staff
Customer Focused Computer Services
Fitzroy & Blackburn
9416-4339

Hype Media - Music Production &
Pro Dj Management - MySpace

Future Entertainment
- Events Promotions Team

Last edited by Mickey1: 04-Aug-09 at 01:43pm

Mickey1 +

Mike

Times thanked
<
Breaking news : So my Friend Josh likes to shove Cucumbers and Bananas up Claytons asshole then Clayton squeezes them in his Anal Cavity to produce Cucumber Sperm and Banana Juice to Drink as a Protein Shake (The Sperm cums from well Clayton is a Homo so you do the Maths as to what the sperm is doing in his asshole)
Mike

Fitzroy & Blackburn
9416-4339

Future Entertainment
- Events Promotions Team
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<
how funny that ur avatar is the ableton live logo

viva la vinyl?
ayampanggang +

yeah

Times thanked
<
I hope someday there will be a way of storing analog data inside a harddisk. Analog vinyl quality with the portability of today's digital storage!
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<
analogue is a different medium to digital

there's no way to store this inside a hard disk

try a tape recorder instead....
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
Everybody shut up, SHUT UP!
This song is about me.
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign

Everybody shut up, SHUT UP!
This song is ALL about me.

fixed.

Quote:

Mickey1 +

Mike

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by manuka

how funny that ur avatar is the ableton live logo

viva la vinyl?

Yeah man i make a Sad Failed time and time Again at Producing my own stuff it dont mean that i Perform with it
Mike

Fitzroy & Blackburn
9416-4339

Future Entertainment
- Events Promotions Team
ToyBox +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

you should do a 'lemon and lime' vinyl only night then toybox

I should, shouldnt i
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyBox

I should, shouldnt i

well if you do mr toybox, consider me for a set
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyBox

I should, shouldnt i

yes, will have to sort you a demo mix, just in case you do!
ToyBox +

Times thanked
<
well if the is enough djs in brissy who think they can pull it off, then I'll do it
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
I like your attitude, other promoters should take note, an industry is at steak here.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
Bump!!

Update : http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2...es?sc=fb&cc=fp

funkedub dot com

Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
there is always going to be a niché market for any anolaouge medium,

vinyl will only keep rising
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
ravs +

Times thanked
<
Nic fvckn bump chump!

No seriously nice bump, I just felt like adding the chump bit doode!
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Crown Street Cut Collective
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
http://www.district.net.au
Mickey V +

Times thanked
<
Like a lot of people here I'm a collector... which means download have little value to me and I'm a big fan of both vinyl and genuine CD's.
The problem I have with vinyl is degredation and damage over time and use, and I am a bit precious about it and am not happy when something breaks/is scratched etc.

Ideally (when I have the time/energy... about half way there so far), I will continue to get all my music in vinyl or genuine CD format so I have the original item to keep/collect and will always be worth something, but immediately digitise/copy everything, and save the originals for special occasions, generally only playing the digitised versions via Scratch Live. I prefer the Scratch Live option with vinyl control as I also enjoy the process of mixing, part of which I feel is lost when you get the computer to do it for you.
super profundo on the early eve of your day
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
gonna bump this again : http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...322-1c50m.html

funkedub dot com

Dj S +

Times thanked
<
I play Cdjs although I dont think vinyl is dying or going to die, I have the up most respect to any Dj that spins vinyl I have tried and I wasnt that great I figured ill just stick to what im good at but it wont stop me from buying techs and trying again.
---= Reach for the lazers, Safe as F@#k =---
SonicDistortion +

Fresh Prince Of Darkness

Times thanked
<
I'll continue using Vinyl till the bitter end, its nice when you're the only Dj on the lineup using vinyl and you can demand turntables. Most of my collegues have switched to CDJs, in fact most people in the Hard Dance genre have stopped using vinyl. I feel the best way I can support my favourite artists is buying their records.
"All things change in a dynamic environment"

"What has been the biggest high of my career? I was going to say the first time I got presented with two turntables, but change that to the five times I went to Australia. It's brilliant there, great atmosphere at all their parties and a beautiful country besides." - DJ Buzz Fuzz

"Freedom Is A Road Seldom Travelled By The Multitude."
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
Update for 2011 : http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...I-CUoEyzXYqLCw

funkedub dot com

defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
<
Feel good story.
DJBodie +

muthafuNkin for long time

Times thanked
<
Tis lovely news.
there be a whole lotta fuNkin,and muthafuNkas that don't know who the fuNk they fuNkin with...
ravs +

Times thanked
<
Yeah but how long will it be sustainable...a lot of hipsters are buying records then they will move on once they have a mortgage will new hipsters and scene queens come along to fill the void or will they find something cooler?

But seriously it's good to hear Vinyl is picking up as a format I love it, as a lifestyle aspect it's something that's become second nature. I live two door up Mint Condition Records Sydney. Nasser had his final day just before New Years. Dude has been going at it for 10 years now another Sydney record store closes down =[

But I guess one thing would be interesting would be what the trend in records is these days.
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Crown Street Cut Collective
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
http://www.district.net.au
johnyboy +

Times thanked
<
http://www.mixmag.net/words/news/vinylsalesup39percent

« Previous Thread Next Thread »