Trance is terrible at the moment.

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
edmundpw +

Times thanked
< 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by informed View Post

There is a 1 hour guest mix from orkidea on john flemings global trance grooves which you can download the podcast of. Ep 101 - sept 2011

And it's sensational.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdb2 View Post

Keen as, thanks mate. Any chance of Orkidea hitting our shores soon does anybody know ?

I certainly hope so. Not sure how often he plays outside Finland, but with an album to promote ....
flippy +

rushproductions.com.au / facebook.com/djjed

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

I am severely over the politics and cringe when i think about how the likes of armin etc dominate the scene and dictate which direction producers under their stables should push musically. I remeber having a conversation with a current Top 10 dj who had fallen out with Armin about 5-6 years ago and it was having an effect on him being able to get his tunes on a lot of the radio shows and all other types of issues. Is that how the industry should work? It is the same bullshit that Armin himself had an issue with when Tiesto's management made festival organisers like Global Gathering sign contracts which stated that Armin could not play before Tiesto at any given festival and since then he has gone down a similar path of controlling the scene and who is allowed to come up the ranks.

Add to that the rigging of the dj mag polls. How farken stupid is it when you get situations like when Christopher Lawrence got booted out of the poll for the fake votes scandal when in the same year one of the acts who came in the top 6 - 7 paid djmag 10,000 euro to make sure they got a higher ranking. The biggest irony of all being that every single one of the other acts who had a high ranking had also done the exact same thing with the vote rigging.

Thats probably how most fast-paced cut-throat industries work. Someone's always behind you ready to stab your back

These politics just seem to be the way that people are dealing with the scene in this ever-quickening get to that never-ending finish line type industry. If someone runs ahead, you'd better start running with them or you'll get left behind. If they trip you, they'll get ahead so why not do the same to someone else? It's all working towards being the best, which from a business perspective is a good thing, but not when a producer or DJ that you like is the one being tripped up.

I try and take parts of the scene like that - both locally and globally - with a grain of salt and it's helped me let go of a lot of my gripes... Not that I'm saying you have any/many I just enjoy the stuff that I enjoy and thats the long and the short of it! Some Anjunabeats stuff is still great, some is closer towards this cheesy balls stuff you're mentioning. I find a lot more Anjunadeep stuff is getting better and better too, like many here. Armada I dont usually listen to anymore because I cant' find anything in there I like anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdb2 View Post

Any chance of Orkidea hitting our shores soon does anybody know ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmundpw View Post

I certainly hope so. Not sure how often he plays outside Finland, but with an album to promote ....

Here's hopin!
RUSH PRODUCTIONS: HOUSE|PROG|TECH|TRANCE
Rush Radio - Podcast via iTunes or Podbean

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION
17/05_SUPER8 & TAB and BEN NICKY

JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
< 214
i was drunk when i built this thread. Kudos to all for your civility.
Julesplees/PlasticMusic Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/user38450
JulesPLees +

Times thanked
< 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by flippy View Post

I've never properly understood the path of old trance nuts moving onto psy... BUT when we all move on, I guess it's to the harder & faster stuff or the proggier and tech-houseier stuff *shrug*

I prefer the latter.

I prefer a latte.

Someone get me a coffee.

im quickly coming to the conclusion that psy trance is becoming the new hard trance. good/bad - i dunno - but thats whats happening.

peee essss

id chuck in half for orkidea.

Last edited by JulesPLees: 12-Jan-12 at 03:35am

informed +

ITM Trance Ho

Times thanked
< 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulesPLees View Post

im quickly coming to the conclusion that psy trance is becoming the new hard trance. good/bad - i dunno - but thats whats happening.

peee essss

Lol, what was your drink of choice overnight? Have you been listening to the new Lawrence and Fleming podcasts? Definetely a major return to the normal trance sound with a lesser influence on psy. Whilst i enjoyed the new stuff from orkidea I wouldn't want to hear it from the majority of producers. Jules, I think we both need to start up a Jaded Khunts society
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

yeah that sounds about right!

Quote:

peee essss

with good reason

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION

honcho +

Times thanked
< 24

Quote:

These politics just seem to be the way that people are dealing with the scene in this ever-quickening get to that never-ending finish line type industry.

you think? :rolls eyes:
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

Originally Posted by honcho View Post

you think? :rolls eyes:

I DOEZ.

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION

honcho +

Times thanked
< 24
idiot
EgosXII +

Euphoria Levels Optimum

Times thanked
< 24
^who are you?? :S
-Everything I Say is a Lie-

OMG buy my Progressive House/Trance songs @ Beatport

OMG buy my PSY-Trance EP @ Beatport!
honcho +

Times thanked
< 24
ur mama

a trance punter, pleb Bet you're one of those rare psy-lovin, mainstream trance hating individuals?? Predictable where your view on this thread is lolllll
JulesPLees +

Times thanked
< 214

Quote:

Lol, what was your drink of choice overnight? Have you been listening to the new Lawrence and Fleming podcasts? Definetely a major return to the normal trance sound with a lesser influence on psy. Whilst i enjoyed the new stuff from orkidea I wouldn't want to hear it from the majority of producers. Jules, I think we both need to start up a Jaded Khunts society

I have been going through a fair bit of their stuff lately. Joof n co are going great guns andits good to see lawrences label pharmacy is back with some quality. Still i do find a fair bit of it a little to heavy n hard at times. I do enjoy it tho. Ive always enjoyed my trance a bit more on the prog side.

Im pretty jaded lol but i do have a little pressie ill unleash for youse all in the next couple days ;-)
cookieFp +

rockin'

Times thanked
< 48

Quote:

I've never properly understood the path of old trance nuts moving onto psy... BUT when we all move on, I guess it's to the harder & faster stuff or the proggier and tech-houseier stuff *shrug*

It's because IMO prog-psy is the closest thing around to the old school prog trance sound.
informed +

ITM Trance Ho

Times thanked
< 34
Jules, download the dec gtg and listen to the jap chick dj asparas guest mix. You will enjoy thoroughly. Some great prog trance
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

ur mama

a trance punter, pleb Bet you're one of those rare psy-lovin, mainstream trance hating individuals?? Predictable where your view on this thread is lolllll

Ironic avatar is ironic.

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION

honcho +

Times thanked
< 24

Quote:

Ironic avatar is ironic.

everything you say is a lie
EgosXII +

Euphoria Levels Optimum

Times thanked
< 24

Quote:

ur mama

You bet wrong. I like all types of EDM I just know you must be a complete n00b if you're calling flippy an idiot since he is actually in the business (has been for a long time), and knows what he's talking about from experience. Your armchair critiques of his positive attitude reeks of a nobody, so I was just making sure I was right about that assumption, and hey presto, I was.

You can apologise and leave if you like, or just one of those options if you can't handle both

System_J +

Better Call Saul

Times thanked
< 257

Quote:

Ironic avatar is ironic.

Essentially

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bism View Post

I just plain don't trust fat people.

Where did they get all that food from?

honcho +

Times thanked
< 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by EgosXII View Post

You bet wrong. I like all types of EDM I just know you must be a complete n00b if you're calling flippy an idiot since he is actually in the business (has been for a long time), and knows what he's talking about from experience. Your armchair critiques of his positive attitude reeks of a nobody, so I was just making sure I was right about that assumption, and hey presto, I was.

You can apologise and leave if you like, or just one of those options if you can't handle both

Your post is littered with indecent fallacies. So he's in the business, so it makes him some kind of authority? Whether he's been in this 'business' for 100 years, he's still open to criticism and lolz

Looks like you both have similar insecure tendencies, which I won't pry on, since you're becoming very condescending (in a way not intended to be a joke).

Stay on topic now yes ja ja binks?
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285

Quote:

everything you say is a lie

No it's not, I swear! Mother raised me better than that.

Quote:

Your post is littered with indecent fallacies. So he's in the business, so it makes him some kind of authority? Whether he's been in this 'business' for 100 years, he's still open to criticism and lolz

Nah, not an authority. But an experienced guy with an opinion.

Your avatar was kinda ironic though, you gotta admit I've come to my conclusion about which of the two you appear to be however... and it's probably not what you think

Jed - Prog/Tech/Trance

GIGS'n'SHIT
09/05_TRANCE NATION

Eamonn Fevah +

Times thanked
< 1
Got to say I agree with you on tis , Tyas is a solid as they come at the moment , never wavering from what he does best...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_essential77 View Post

Ergh, this discussion is so

But this set by Tyas has reignited my faith in some quality, fun, driving, rolling bassline, 140bpm trance sets (note: even though there are some oldies chucked in). Electrovoya need to start their engines again, miss their stuff! Also, this set aint for the faint hearted...

Sean Tyas Live @ Trancemission Stuttgart, 2011 - Tytanium Sessions 126

1. Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (Eric Prydz Remix / Sean Tyas Edit)
2. Phunpark - Midnight (Sean Tyas Remix)
3. Funkagenda & Fatboy Slim - What the Fuck (Tyas Rework)
4. ID - ID
5. Ferrin & Morris - Precious Times
6. Darren Porter & Sy Gardner - Springs Scent
7. Skrillex - Reptile (Kent & Gian Sardowsky Rework)
8. Mord Fustang - Lick The Rainbow (Sean Tyas Edit)
9. Sean Tyas & Bjorn Akesson - Zahi
10. Riialto - Crystal
11. Ruff Driverz - Dreaming (Neal Scarborough Rework)
12. Laura Jansen - Use somebody (Armin van Buuren Rework) erghhhh
13. Sean Tyas - Banshee
14. Sean Tyas - Believe
15. Sean Tyas - Solo (Roses Mix)
16. Insigma - Open your eyes (Sean Tyas Rework)
17. Photographer - Highway
18. Gouryella - Walhalla (Darren Porter Rework)
19. Sean Tyas - By the way
20. Jean Michel Jarre - Souvenir of China (Sean Tyas Rework)
21. Sean Tyas - Lift

http://www.filesonic.com/file/oQRLwc...9-SO_32835.rar

EDIT - Askew and Oakenfold's sets are pushing a superb underground trance sound, not necessarily psy, but top uplifting, driving trance, as it should be. And lastly, PvD is still smashing it out

Eamonn Fevah +

Times thanked
< 1
Here goes something down the traditional path you may like ,

made cheeky little videos to go with them . all out soon .

Keen for some feed back from some trance lovers

Inner Exodus ( already out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW5FV8JRvy0

Life Force (Coming soon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6U7SBfDoho

Cheeky bootleg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUoJ1g-n2rI

Hope you enjoy
dan_essential77 +

rockers delight!!

Times thanked
< 131
tha fk?
flippy +

Times thanked
< 285
oooohhhhhhhhh ijustgotthat
puretrance89 +

Times thanked
< 38

Quote:

Jules, download the dec gtg and listen to the jap chick dj asparas guest mix. You will enjoy thoroughly. Some great prog trance

yeah that mix by aspara was really intresting. to me it was a breath of fresh air in the quite stale world of trance at the moment. really recommend everyone has a listen to it!
Acid_Eiffel +

Times thanked
< 41
It's techno, but...

Media Player
Acid_Eiffel +

Times thanked
< 41
Would have been great to see...

Media Player

Acid_Eiffel +

Times thanked
< 41
Media Player

Acid_Eiffel +

Times thanked
< 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

my brain is going way downhill fast, there no way in direction these days.

honcho +

Times thanked
< 24

Quote:

Nah, not an authority. But an experienced guy with an opinion.

Glad to see it
TheNextBestThing +

Times thanked
< 28
I’ve spent hours wondering why, and I think I’ve figured it out somewhat.

Women generally prefer vocals, common chord progressions, lower BPM, clean sounds, lighthearted, comedic, fun, predictable, unthreatening music.

Men generally prefer dark, driving, menacing, faster BPM, threatening, expressive, unpredictable, soulful, deep, intricate, and serious music.

There’s been a big shift. What’s happening is that the Dj’s are playing predominantly female music. Women’s preferences are dominating the market; it makes sense as they are the No. 1 consumers.
What it’s really doing is making it harder for us males to get the fix we are looking for. Listening to trance music is fast becoming another female dominated activity, much like shopping.
Men are risk takers and that usually means we take charge, while women lag behind wait until the coast is clear and they feel safe enough to take another step forward. Women are not catching up; they are keeping a safe distance from the male dominated front line. John 00 Fleming is paving the way for all of us, he’s the alpha male.
In years to come women will get bored of the vocals and predictability of the music they are listening to at the moment and they will eventually take another step forward.

Who knows maybe one day EDM will be completely dominated by women to the extent that listening to EDM will be viewed as a feminine activity, just as ballet is.
Valency +

jawesome

Times thanked
< 64
Posted by John 00 Fleming on his Facebook:

2012 The year of the resurgence of the pure form of Trance

The commercial storm seems to have eventually past; the Trance scene has been left battered and bruised. It’s tired, jaded and lost all dignity. This storm has created utter confusion amongst the residents of the Trance community, the skills, tools and talent they had adhered over the years were completely overlooked and deemed insignificant, replaced with egotistical bullish marketing. This once great music genre attracted the elite producers of the World who produced forward thinking avant-garde music. This in return attracted Hollywood movie directors such as the Matrix whom used Trance music for its sound track. Consequently Progressive Trance was born; Sasha, Digweed and Way out West playing a big part in this (many people reading this wont remember these wonderful proud great days).

House, Electro and Dubstep are now King, and the storm have moved in that direction. The corporate are abandoning the sinking Trance ship and heading for where the money now lies dropping their now worthless Trance tag. ‘None genre’ seems to be the new trend now, along with Trouse as they abandon ship. So how does that make us true Trance musicians feel.

The ones that have dedicated our lives to this genre we feel so passionate about. Angry? Bitter? I think relived is the right word. We can now get on with the job in hand of making music void of Internet marketing games, and presence. We’ve lost a few good men on the way though, shame how they got totally overlooked.

Yes I’ve got a reputation of ranting, but my honest words have bought likewise people to my doorstep. More and more feeling my exact pain and frustration. I’m talking about HUGE names in the industry phoning and emailing me on a weekly basis that got drawn into the marketing race. They’re tired of spending most of their week satisfying social media sites due to unnecessary pressure when they should be making music. I mean making the music they actually want instated of adhering to commercial pressure. They’re falling in love with music again.

Experimenting with sounds, creating new sounds and rhythms, pushing the boundaries of their production skills. It’s turning into the good old days again. We have a community of likewise friends. Almost everyday I’m calling my close friend Laurent (Airwave), we’re getting excited as we listen to each other’s experimental sounds we’ve made. Rik (The Digital Blonde) hounds me with Youtube clips as he reminisces with old tracks, gathering ideas for his next projects.

I’m getting back to having personal relationships with promoters, clubs and festivals, something that was stripped away with the corporate world. Again the excitement is evident as we help forge a new way forward with each other’s valuable ideas and advice. The close community is getting stronger and closer, there’s no more competition between labels, and we are all one. I’ve had many a conversation helping and rescuing labels, Platipus being one off them. Yes I may rant, but I’m 1000% active in the background speaking to many and helping.

As things stand today, specialist Trance producers/DJ’s will find it difficult to get any form of support in the media as this is dominated by the more commercial World. We have some wonderful music and superb DJ’s out there that the World needs to know about. We have some of the most amazing club nights and festivals that are being missed off the radar.

I have a vision of putting these great assets all in one place. A place for likeminded people to gather the information they want. A place to find new music releases, discover new DJ’s and club nights. These are the places where new working relationships are born that in return can create new club events. These places used to be records shops years ago; they created a community of likewise people. We can use the same technology that had a hand in killing the Trance scene, to rebuild the Trance scene by using the Internet. The natural place is a website dedicated to specialist Trance enthusiasts. As you could imagine my life is pretty hectic touring, producing and running a record label. I wish I could dedicate 100% of my time to running a website, but I can’t. I can however stand firmly behind this project (along with fellow colleagues) to ensure this venture will be successful. I’ll put my name firmly behind this venture.

I need volunteers, fellow specialist Trance enthusiasts to dedicate their time to make this happen. Web developers. Journalists. Club reviewers. Music reviewers. We need input and advice from all angles. It’s a pretty intense project. Yes I say volunteers, because this generally filters out the corporate people from the passionate people. There will be rewards and jobs at the end of this project. Do I have a crazy vision? Let me know and if you want to be involved. Darren in my office will be keen to hear from you: darren@joof.co.uk

From what I’m hearing on a daily basis and from what I see and hear on the street and what I see in forums, I firmly believe 2012 will be the year of the resurgence of the more pure form of Trance.
rismeq +

If in doubt, more cowbell!

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valency View Post

They’re tired of spending most of their week satisfying social media sites due to unnecessary pressure when they should be making music. I mean making the music they actually want instated of adhering to commercial pressure.

+1.

I feel that this is the same pressure influencing the stylistic trends of tracks that the big producers are churning out these days. Producers probably think about how a crowd would react to their track at least once during their studio session. It would be nice if we could hear sounds that a producer really wants to make, without considering how the rest of us plebs would enjoy it.

And while I'm at it, my two cents rant - instead of all this negativity and subjective criticism, like accusing X of producing rubbish, or Y of defecting from the true trance sound, whatever the hell that means, why don't people invest more effort into supporting what they do like.

Soundcloud
annajay +

Times thanked
< 2
Not this female

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNextBestThing View Post

I’ve spent hours wondering why, and I think I’ve figured it out somewhat.

Women generally prefer vocals, common chord progressions, lower BPM, clean sounds, lighthearted, comedic, fun, predictable, unthreatening music.

Men generally prefer dark, driving, menacing, faster BPM, threatening, expressive, unpredictable, soulful, deep, intricate, and serious music.

There’s been a big shift. What’s happening is that the Dj’s are playing predominantly female music. Women’s preferences are dominating the market; it makes sense as they are the No. 1 consumers.
What it’s really doing is making it harder for us males to get the fix we are looking for. Listening to trance music is fast becoming another female dominated activity, much like shopping.
Men are risk takers and that usually means we take charge, while women lag behind wait until the coast is clear and they feel safe enough to take another step forward. Women are not catching up; they are keeping a safe distance from the male dominated front line. John 00 Fleming is paving the way for all of us, he’s the alpha male.
In years to come women will get bored of the vocals and predictability of the music they are listening to at the moment and they will eventually take another step forward.

Who knows maybe one day EDM will be completely dominated by women to the extent that listening to EDM will be viewed as a feminine activity, just as ballet is.

Whether or not this is actually true, count me in as one female who cannot stand the cheesy vocals and predictable loops I am hearing lately on TATW and other popular podcasts. By contrast I love John 00 Fleming's podcast and his lineup of artists.
baseade +

Times thanked
< 17
need to bring back extravaganza and chicane partnerships - that was proper trance.

Armin has been shite for years

Still - Future brings Pvd - he always rises to the occaision and Jon O Callaghan & GAreth Emery always played a good set a few years ago.

*sigh*miss Gatecrasher back in the UK ten years ago....
honcho +

Times thanked
< 24
^ Bang!
JulesPLees +

Times thanked
< 214

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseade View Post

need to bring back extravaganza and chicane partnerships - that was proper trance.

Armin has been shite for years

Still - Future brings Pvd - he always rises to the occaision and Jon O Callaghan & GAreth Emery always played a good set a few years ago.

*sigh*miss Gatecrasher back in the UK ten years ago....

Goto the summermix thread - my latest mix is a lotherton hall tribute. Only gets upto 133bpm but has a similar feel imo

/endshameless selfpromo
TheNextBestThing +

Times thanked
< 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by annajay View Post

Whether or not this is actually true, count me in as one female who cannot stand the cheesy vocals and predictable loops I am hearing lately on TATW and other popular podcasts. By contrast I love John 00 Fleming's podcast and his lineup of artists.

I was keeping in theme with the O.P. I wad either high or drunk, at the moment I’m both.

I read what I posted and I cannot understand it at all.

Last edited by TheNextBestThing: 29-Jan-12 at 05:36am

bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
< 749
lol, i knew it had to be an alias but wasn't sure who until he used the word 'cretins'.

there's only one **** on inthemix who uses that word.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbiggs View Post

right on **** sign me up

dj name: big facotr
style: ballbag disco
promotion ability: zilch none naada
stage presence: fuck it **** im on the d floor and use a long stick from there to change the faders.

sproggy the aadvark +

would like to buy an r

Times thanked
< 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post

lol, i knew it had to be an alias but wasn't sure who until he used the word 'cretins'.

there's only one **** on inthemix who uses that word.

if ur gunna take cheap shotz usin an alias (again)...at least hve teh smartz to change up ur lingo. word.
bulldozer +

Times thanked
< 749
is he a serial offender?

Quote:

right on **** sign me up

stage presence: fuck it **** im on the d floor and use a long stick from there to change the faders.

System_J +

Better Call Saul

Times thanked
< 257
same old same old http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=290636 then http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394334002

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bism View Post

I just plain don't trust fat people.

Where did they get all that food from?

Last edited by System_J: 30-Jan-12 at 12:53am

bulldozer +

Times thanked
< 749
what a cretin

Quote:

right on **** sign me up

EgosXII +

Euphoria Levels Optimum

Times thanked
< 24
Ah, so I was right when I was saying he's a fucking idiot who knows nothing!

baseade +

Times thanked
< 17

Quote:

Goto the summermix thread - my latest mix is a lotherton hall tribute. Only gets upto 133bpm but has a similar feel imo

/endshameless selfpromo

My first ever rave! I was 16 at the time - will do after work!!
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »