Times thanked
< 316
New year photo resolutions
Yea yea
1680x1050
16mp
1080p
Wucka wucka…..

Now that’s out of your system… I noticed a few ppl have started their 365s and a few have said theyre going to shoot more in general, so whats your goals for photography this year?

Im hoping to do a lot more portraiture, specifically headshots with more attention to detail. Also would like to try more arty shots rather than just creative and spend more time making them. seems like ive fallen into a photo journo mind set of running and gunning everything, helps on editorials (and live stuff) but not so much for “proper” shoots.
Im also continuing to ween myself off club gigs, call me old but the romance is well and truly slipping away. Did over 100 club/festival gigs in 2010 but only about 40 if that last year.
Finally the one I say to myself every year… more landscapes. Tho after a very disappointing attempt on the weekend and a nice waste of a couple hours, ive once again lumped it into the “why do i bother” pile :p
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pezman View Post

Yea yea
1680x1050
16mp
1080p
Wucka wucka…..

*real reply later*
Villephant +

Can't see

Times thanked
< 1,455
hehe, i had a giggle
^^^^^ that is the indication i was giggling

anyway, yeh started a 365... it is ok some days, but some days I barely (ie. don't) leave the house and don't know what to shoot inside... it is still early days too, so maybe i will get better with it... or worse *shrugs*
I too would like to do more landscapes, maybe it would help me get out of the house
maybe try and actually think what i am shooting rather than just firing wildly, which seems to be the case lately
i think that is what happened last time i started a 365.. after a while of random firing i thought maybe i should think about it, but that kind of failed because i just stopped instead of thinking about it... maybe that is a bad idea... random firing it is!

EDIT: actually that milk thing was fun, so maybe try some more challenges or themes that i have to stick to might make it a bit less random...
Villephant - 2014-02 It's still 2, it's still 2!
InfraDread - Lover's Jungle
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
Ville, check the photo comp thread I made.
Each week is a new theme.... and if you do 3~ different ones, lots of options for being creative (or submitting old photos if youre lazy, hah)
Villephant +

Can't see

Times thanked
< 1,455
yeh cheers, that is what i was talking about ehehe
camera house seems to only accept 2, but still that is enough to change tact completely
ug, ted's prize would be cool but i'm not doing a "holiday" photo lol
i guess i could just photo some food, you eat a lot on the holidays, also you become a hermit sometimes aha
prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
< 642
I'm in the same boat in terms of drifting away from club gigs... last year I did SFA other than my regular paid work (which I'm considering giving the boot soon), only a handful of submissions to ITM last year, but chalk that down to work changes (working most weekends now) along with life changes and an overall disinterest in the scene as a whole

Doing "proper" shoots, and maybe even some post-processing, is something I'm planning on doing this year - I have a few concepts I'd like to flesh out, along with expanding a portfolio into a range of "styles" - thinking of studying photography in 2013, as there's only so much I can teach myself - but will keep pushing my limits and see where I'm at in 6-9 months and make a decision then

also trying to cure my case of "gear lust" - always wanting something better than I've got, when I've got better than a lot of people do

Quote:

Originally Posted by puretrance89 View Post

My muzza's are more tanked up than your muzzas!

atrev2much +

Times thanked
< 137
failed already.

This is why i don't make resolutions

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby

I did a traineeship in network admin before I got a job as a fgt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evangelion001

For sure!! they are developing a double headed machine, so you can do your arse and vag at the same time, should be on our shores next year( I am looking REALLY forward to that one)

I give upFlickr&BL0G
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206
Shoot more weddings!

Otherwise, to boost my portfolio for portraits and fashion.

And try to further build my business which a stage of infancy at the moment.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Don...13941158689495

Club stuff was fun, but well off the radar. Whilst the club scene is cool, events like weddings and the like can give you access to shoot a very different kind of person in a very different environment.
EAD
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,083
mine was to see where the wind takes me. Can't fail that one lol
Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
< 3,839
good question... I guess:
Get better first and foremost.
Take more shots (I guess I'll need to do that in order to get better).
Shoot a proper festival.
Do more portraiture work.
... wish me luck!
Ya baloney
angelbel +

This bird you cannot change

Times thanked
< 297
One of my four resolutions for the year is to devote more time to exploring creative outlets. Mainly photography and music.
I'd like to finish the online course I've been doing.
I'd like to spend more time on my R&R's out of my house with my camera.
I'd like to shoot more with my film cameras (in particular my Canon AE-1)
I'd like to decorate my house with some of my photos.
I'd like to try new things, new styles and break more rules and hopefully in the process unlock some of the creative ideas that I just know are inside waiting to come out.
Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield.
That was pretty fucking ninja.

krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
shoot more filmz.
shoot more digitalz.
atrev2much +

Times thanked
< 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

mine was to see where the wind takes me. Can't fail that one lol

I like this

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby

I did a traineeship in network admin before I got a job as a fgt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evangelion001

For sure!! they are developing a double headed machine, so you can do your arse and vag at the same time, should be on our shores next year( I am looking REALLY forward to that one)

I give upFlickr&BL0G
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 316

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn acid View Post

Shoot more weddings!

Otherwise, to boost my portfolio for portraits and fashion.

And try to further build my business which a stage of infancy at the moment.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Don...13941158689495

Club stuff was fun, but well off the radar. Whilst the club scene is cool, events like weddings and the like can give you access to shoot a very different kind of person in a very different environment.

weddings must be going good for you if you want to do more yes?

The few ive done have been 3-4th degree of separation from my usual friends so I don’t really know what sort of ppl they are and when I meet them they’ve been very quiet ppl and just wanted “nice” or cliché photos. I don’t mind doing this but it gets a tiring real quick. Even worse if someone wants something “crazy” and “out there” but arent exactly the sort of couple to pull it off or are in a location that’s been done to death, it kind of just sucks the life out of the shot. Oh wait, lets get all the bridesmaids holding up the groom while hes lying down!! OUTRAGEOUS! :facepalm:

how do you find working with “normal” couples and common (re: overused venues/locations)? Or do you pick and choose who, what where etc?
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
< 352
shoot some sunrises
shoot some film
justletgo +

Paparazzi in training

Times thanked
< 7
step 1. dusted off my camera
step 2. Take photos again
* repeat step 2 till i remember how to take photos *
step 3. Snap more landscape stuff
LIFE LOOKS BETTER THROUGH A CAMERA LENS
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

Quote:

Yea yea
1680x1050
16mp
1080p
Wucka wucka…..

I just got that.

Hhahahaa

I get jokes!
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelbel View Post

...and music.

Cool. What are you getting up to on the music front?
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
This year I've vowed to myself to put my 24mm TSE to work... or sell it off and get some music gear I'm needin' right now... got the alarm set for 5:30am Mollymook coastline action... let's see how it goes. Other than that, bustin' to get busy snappin' in a whirlwind 7 day tour through Vietnam in March, will possibly do some event shooting later in the year, but nothing else on the cards. Certainly got no plans to buy any kit or venture out into any money making ventures. Maybe, just maybe, I'll learn how to use a computer to better process images... Hmmm...
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

weddings must be going good for you if you want to do more yes?

The few ive done have been 3-4th degree of separation from my usual friends so I don’t really know what sort of ppl they are and when I meet them they’ve been very quiet ppl and just wanted “nice” or cliché photos. I don’t mind doing this but it gets a tiring real quick. Even worse if someone wants something “crazy” and “out there” but arent exactly the sort of couple to pull it off or are in a location that’s been done to death, it kind of just sucks the life out of the shot. Oh wait, lets get all the bridesmaids holding up the groom while hes lying down!! OUTRAGEOUS! :facepalm:

how do you find working with “normal” couples and common (re: overused venues/locations)? Or do you pick and choose who, what where etc?

Yes, had to turn down a few offers last year as I was not prepared for the workload nor did I have the time to edit. This year a little different given I have reorganised a few priorities.

I don't actually mind the overused and cliche locations. I can make reccomendations but sometimes people don't feel like straying from the norm. Afterall, for the most part it's one wedding per person and if a location that is done to death makes them happy, then so be it. I'm not really here to be experimental at the cost of a client's happiness. Of course, I will always recommend a new location or style but the ball is in the client's park.

As I was cutting my teeth I assisted on a wedding job for a very VERY conservative indo-chinese couple. They were petrified the entire time so it just means that you need to be a little more accommodating and push them to loosen up within their comfort zones. We're photographers, not miracle workers and some people just have shy personalities. You can't fabricate a personality, and not sure people would want that given wedding photography is documentation of their day, not their faux selves.
EAD
Villephant +

Can't see

Times thanked
< 1,455
i was about to say, you can be shy with personality, but remembered given the camera is there it probably changes it a bit ahaha
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephalapod chewing legend

Times thanked
< 2,729
fix my d80 or get another slr, shoot moar underwater shit, get a flat-lens case for the go-pro, shoot moar underwater moving shit
Everyone knows your snorkeling is just a cover for transition to Aqua Aerobics.
jazzcat +

zerg rushing

Times thanked
< 32
my resolution.. get out there and take photos with a camera instead of a phone :<

so lazy
like a $3.40 bag of fresh hip hop from your local fish and chip shop

flickr
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 316

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn acid View Post

Yes, had to turn down a few offers last year as I was not prepared for the workload nor did I have the time to edit. This year a little different given I have reorganised a few priorities.

I don't actually mind the overused and cliche locations. I can make reccomendations but sometimes people don't feel like straying from the norm. Afterall, for the most part it's one wedding per person and if a location that is done to death makes them happy, then so be it. I'm not really here to be experimental at the cost of a client's happiness. Of course, I will always recommend a new location or style but the ball is in the client's park.

As I was cutting my teeth I assisted on a wedding job for a very VERY conservative indo-chinese couple. They were petrified the entire time so it just means that you need to be a little more accommodating and push them to loosen up within their comfort zones. We're photographers, not miracle workers and some people just have shy personalities. You can't fabricate a personality, and not sure people would want that given wedding photography is documentation of their day, not their faux selves.

Oh I understand completely and never badger my subjects (vigorous nudging maybe :p ) and I know they’ll feel just as silly doing something out of the norm as I would be in asking them to do it. I was more wondering along the lines of how YOU deal with it. I know your style isn’t always the most, how we say.. subtle at times. im just trying to work out, if I do end up finding an 8th day to the week and doing more, how im going to get into the right headspace without groaning and rolling my eyes thru the whole thing lol
Unless of course im thinking about it all wrong and maybe should just think of it as social photography with a couple portraits?

I also like the sentiment of your last sentence, very much what I always go for but it’s pretty much the opposite of what most ppl want, speshly the bride lol
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

Oh I understand completely and never badger my subjects (vigorous nudging maybe :p ) and I know they’ll feel just as silly doing something out of the norm as I would be in asking them to do it. I was more wondering along the lines of how YOU deal with it. I know your style isn’t always the most, how we say.. subtle at times. im just trying to work out, if I do end up finding an 8th day to the week and doing more, how im going to get into the right headspace without groaning and rolling my eyes thru the whole thing lol
Unless of course im thinking about it all wrong and maybe should just think of it as social photography with a couple portraits?

I also like the sentiment of your last sentence, very much what I always go for but it’s pretty much the opposite of what most ppl want, speshly the bride lol

I think of you need to find a way to get through something, or if you are groaning and rolling your eyes then that thing is probably not for you. That's the way I look at it. I guess that is the beauty of just shooting a lot of different things and finding what you are passionate about and rolling with it. I get a kick out of weddings and those events and I believe a lot of established wedding photographers do too. Given the work involved, it would be very asy to burn out without the passion behind it. I did find the initial jobs a little hair raising and stressful, but I realised that it's no different from any other demanding type of work... except this work holds more rewards for me from a fulfilment point of view.
EAD
angelbel +

This bird you cannot change

Times thanked
< 297

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

Cool. What are you getting up to on the music front?

First is to make a real effort to go to more gigs this year. Aside from the big gigs I've set myself a goal to check out as many local live music venues as I possibly can in Perth when I'm home on R&R.
I'm going to buy myself a guitar and attempt to learn to play, see about getting some vocal lessons and try picking up my saxaphone again.
Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield.
That was pretty fucking ninja.

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
^ Cool.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »