Photo workflow tips??

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
Villephant +

Can't see

Times thanked
< 1,454
it makes as much sense as my brain...
IE: i have no idea how to find anything I want to find, I have to look where I have put it after it has been in LR...
Villephant - 2014-02 It's still 2, it's still 2!
InfraDread - Lover's Jungle
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 316

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindsayL View Post

Ah, good to know! From what I've read, I'd always assumed that you needed RAW for post processing. I do take high res jpgs on a 60D though so that should be enough.

dont get me wrong if you were editing a one of a kind masterpiece recreating most of it as fantasy image with more layers than an rnb flyer then sure its the way to go but for the majority of normal editing, its not necessary. it doesnt make a shit photo any better.
all mine are shot as jpgs and i can count on one hand the number of times ive used an adjustment layer in ps.
if youre just starting out, id recommend getting the shot as best as you can in camera before you go making it "better"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemerage View Post

Bullshit.
If you want them SOOC (using the camera profile), then you can leave them as is.

Its about having options.

yes you can leave them as is if you want them looking like shit (usually washed out, no contrast) and the "option" is that you have to convert them to jpg to upload/view them anyway.

Quote:

Dont listen to old man Pez.
Dont trust anyone who shoots 6MP medium res

21mp RAW or bust!

Quote:

I...

Rip RAW off camera
Add folder to LR
Go through and tag all shit shots (out of focus, crap) with 1 star -- filter to that, then delete.
Edit what I want --> some go to Photoshop as required.
Export a full-rez + a 960-long edge for FB.
Then I never backup, pray I'm awesome and nothing ever breaks.

TERRIBLE!

dont listen to who?

you wanna take advice from this guy?

in short, never take advice from a shoptographer
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,397

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pezman View Post

if youre just starting out, id recommend getting the shot as best as you can in camera before you go making it "better"

yes you can leave them as is if you want them looking like shit (usually washed out, no contrast) and the "option" is that you have to convert them to jpg to upload/view them anyway.

in short, never take advice from a shoptographer

1. RAW won't make you take better pics.... but you've got rocks in your head if you don't think it'll allow you to make your good shots even better,

2. How many times must we state that RAW USES YOUR CAMERA PROFILE WHEN IN LR.
The same contrast which is 'baked' into your RAW, will instead carry over to the RAW automagically.

2a. You'd presumably be resizing your awesome SOOC jpegs before uploading anyway -- so moot point.

3. You jelly?
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

2. How many times must we state that RAW USES YOUR CAMERA PROFILE WHEN IN LR.
The same contrast which is 'baked' into your RAW, will instead carry over to the RAW automagically.

That's kinda my thought too.

I can shoot JPEGs....

...or I can shoot RAW that'll look as-is exactly the same as the JPEG would look as it relies on exactly the criteria that was used to arrive at the JPEG...

....but retaining all the RAW data for any further tweakage.

To say a RAW file requires post processing is a bit of a misnomer. Sure it's needs minimum at least a batch command to export the folder of shots as JPEGs (if that's the ultimate destination), but there's little difference in the result between pre-setting the white balance in camera etc. before the shot, or after the shot (except the latter is probably going to be more effective, and less time consuming in the moment).

Especially if using the camera brand's own <ahem> 'professional' photo management software that presents the exact same set of options as found within the cameras itself.
prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
< 642
my workflow usually consists of this:

Import to Aperture library as a project.
I'll usually have the projects under a pretty strict folder hierarchy - Category (i.e. clubs/parties/family etc) - Year - Month - Project
I'll then go through and mark the photos I want to upload/work with (hitting "5" to "rate" it to 5 stars)
Once that's done I'll create a "Smart Album" for the project that only shows the 5 Star rated images
Will batch export using the BorderFX plugin to resize/add my watermark

If uploading to my own site or Facebook, will import the exported images into iPhoto, and upload that way (I manage my full res and web size photos separately)

Nothing too convoluted or complex, but I don't often shoot in RAW for club work or messing around, and rarely do much in post (I try to take the photo as best I can rather than guess and fix later on)

If I shoot in RAW I do the same as above, maybe tweak some of the RAW controls in Aperture (it seems to ignore my PictureStyle set on the camera)

Btw, strictly speaking, RAW does need post processing (you can't just print/view straight off the card without software that processes the raw data into something visible - but that's generally an automatic thing)

Quote:

Originally Posted by puretrance89 View Post

My muzza's are more tanked up than your muzzas!

Bender +

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

for backups i use microsoft synctoy 2.0. It's free, no bullshit and reliable. Every night it checks if anything's changed & duplicates it

Have started using synctoy based on your post above. Is really very good. The WD Smartware I was using before used to make my pc run like a water logged school bus. The improvement in performance since changing is awesome.
People can do the work, so that machines have time to think.
LindsayL +

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender View Post

Have started using synctoy based on your post above. Is really very good. The WD Smartware I was using before used to make my pc run like a water logged school bus. The improvement in performance since changing is awesome.

Synctoy is brilliant, very simple and does what it's supposed to do.
lamboi +

Times thanked
< 0
I import photos from flash camera to internal HDD. The import it using Lightroom. I have a set of keyword tree where I assign every photos based on content. 100% quality JPEG goes to two cloud services (zenfolio & flickr). Then my folder containing RAW and JPEG gets moved to external HDD where it gets periodically backed up by a shadow HDD.

100% JPEG uploaded to zenfolio & flickr can be between 8-15mb and it takes a while to upload hundreds of photos, and most times at least 500mb. Thank goodness I have cable connection or otherwise it'll take forever.
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »