Food, Photography and Travel

Photography banter (get your photog questions answered by a Rancho)

Tools
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 147
^^^ At the end of the day, the require exposure requirement is exactly the same, regardless of the shooting mode. That is, with a particular ISO, then a certain shutter speed is required to maintain a perfect exposure for a given aperture value.

And yes, the exposure meter is expecting a 18% grey reflectance to work from. so water reflections or snow, or a white wedding dress, or a dark suit, are all gonna trick the exposure meter into responding incorrectly.

It's again it's true, the snow example would warrant one to force an overexposure of a couple of stops to compensate for the meter thinking the 18% grey scene is excessively bright and thereby desperately wanting to hold back and consequently underexpose the scene.

But whether one should tweak the exposure compensation dial in auto or semi-auto mode, or manually adjust the shutter in manual mode, really comes down to what mode one's shooting in: auto/semi-auto or manual. The end result, that is, the final combination of shutter and aperture for a given exposure will be identical.

I typically shoot Av (aperture priority) except when I'm wanting to force an exposure, in which case I switch to manual. Others ride the exposure compensation, the latter being arguably quicker. But different strokes, different folks, and all that jazz....
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
Varied surroundings or on the move I'll go AV + compensations -- else, Manual.
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 327
i never trust Av and dont know how ppl can shoot live gigs with it. basically you have to hope that youve pushed the iso high enough to get a fast enough shutterspeed, which could be why Av shooters always want fast glass

back to the black rapids seen afew getting round with it, still not sure how id go with that backpack feel. $100 is pretty steep too! do other companies make anything similar or is it just these guys?
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,456
backpack feel?? too expensive? wtf are you all on about

go try one out before making assumptions

It's one of the best investments i've ever made. You'll happily spend thousands on lenses & bodies but you balk at $100 for something that's going to make your photographic life much more comfortable & convenient?
As previously stated you can separate the halves for single strap config as well which again is a hell of a lot more comfortable than a normal strap.

There are chinese yumcha ripoffs but they're the ones you should be worried about hanging all that gear off. $130 from blackrapid.com is worth every cent!
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,092

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pezman View Post

i never trust Av and dont know how ppl can shoot live gigs with it. basically you have to hope that youve pushed the iso high enough to get a fast enough shutterspeed, which could be why Av shooters always want fast glass

the first couple of years i only used manual whilst i got my head around everything. these days i shoot AV at festivals during the day then switch to manual as the sun goes down. AV + EV is just easier during the day when the light is good. if you notice your shutter speed is a bit slow, just up the ISO.... your shutter speed is shown in the viewfinder (i assume yours is too!) and it's not exactly difficult to adjust the ISO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
< 642
just give it a shot one day

EDIT: to pezman

Quote:

Originally Posted by puretrance89 View Post

My muzza's are more tanked up than your muzzas!

atrev2much +

Times thanked
< 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemerage View Post

Same

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby

I did a traineeship in network admin before I got a job as a fgt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evangelion001

For sure!! they are developing a double headed machine, so you can do your arse and vag at the same time, should be on our shores next year( I am looking REALLY forward to that one)

I give upFlickr&BL0G
atrev2much +

Times thanked
< 137
this made me lol for some reason...

Quote:

Quote:

For sure!! they are developing a double headed machine, so you can do your arse and vag at the same time, should be on our shores next year( I am looking REALLY forward to that one)

I give upFlickr&BL0G
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
They should make left handed firing versions of bodies so you can dual-wield 14fps beastmode cameras. (Wrist-straps not included)
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,092
just hold the left camera upside down (assuming it has a grip).

Quote:

Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
You would surely look like a downy, with a half rotated arm holding 3kgs of unbalanced camera gear...
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 327

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

backpack feel?? too expensive? wtf are you all on about

go try one out before making assumptions

It's one of the best investments i've ever made. You'll happily spend thousands on lenses & bodies but you balk at $100 for something that's going to make your photographic life much more comfortable & convenient?
As previously stated you can separate the halves for single strap config as well which again is a hell of a lot more comfortable than a normal strap.

There are chinese yumcha ripoffs but they're the ones you should be worried about hanging all that gear off. $130 from blackrapid.com is worth every cent!

Lol wtf are YOU on about??
two shoulder straps with front and back bracing = backpack FEEL re: something strapping your shirt to your body and restricting airflow and (some) movement
I didn’t say it was too expensive, its ridiculous to compare it to camera equipment. You might as well compare your lunch to how much you paid for your car apples to apples, $100+ for a strap is a bit silly. More so, standing in the store (if any locals even stock it) with it on is hardly going to be any gauge on its performance/”comfortabilty”.

Thing is, I find carrying two bodies restrictive to begin with. the few times ive tried ive even strapped the cameras shoulder straps together so they sit like the brapid. Feels ok when youre standing still in the pit, excellent for switching focal lengths (tho I have worked on my lens swaps so they only take a few seconds anyway) but the problems come about when you have to move, you end up using both hands to stop them from swinging around and bashing into your body (and everything else) like a couple out of synch newtons cradle balls. Not so bad if youre just going for a stroll with no obstacles but if youre leggin it to get to another stage during a settime clash or forcing your way thru a crowd or mosh pit means you have no free hands to push/fend/protect you or your gear. what can I say? I love getting amongst it

The quick switch and no shit getting into the body during lens swaps are the biggest selling point for me tho, so when I get my new body it will def. be a consideration to “try” it re: hope I don’t just piss away $130 on something I use once.
What they really need is matching holsters! Pew pew!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho View Post

the first couple of years i only used manual whilst i got my head around everything. these days i shoot AV at festivals during the day then switch to manual as the sun goes down. AV + EV is just easier during the day when the light is good. if you notice your shutter speed is a bit slow, just up the ISO.... your shutter speed is shown in the viewfinder (i assume yours is too!) and it's not exactly difficult to adjust the ISO.

So basically you hope your camera gets it right and if it doesn’t you change the setting? Why not set the setting for the shot you want before hand and then snap away to your hearts content? I mean youre dicking around with ev and iso anyway right?
But as specz said, horse n courses n shit, couldn’t care less either way

ps. what happened with fmf??
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 327

Quote:

You would surely look like a downy, with a half rotated arm holding 3kgs of unbalanced camera gear...

as opposed to how you look now?

ZING!
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,456

Quote:

Lol wtf are YOU on about??
two shoulder straps with front and back bracing = backpack FEEL re: something strapping your shirt to your body and restricting airflow and (some) movement

but that's what i was getting at. It doesn't feel like that really. it doesn't restrict movement unless you want to jump around like a loon and bash your gear into stuff. I barely notice it. having two normal straps tied together doesn't even come close to how this strap feels (yes i've done that too lol). That's exactly why i said wtf don't make assumptions without trying it. It's a very different experience to what your head is thinking up.

i can understand in a crowded music gig it might be a bitch to have two bodies on you at once but that's not what i'm talking about anyway. Functions/weddings/etc it's awesome.
If you only shoot sardine events then it's not for you.

oh and to fix your car analogy, it'd more be like skimping on tyres & getting $20 kmart jobs for your ferrari instead of those pirelli p-zeros
wtf has a sandwich got to do with a car
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,092

Quote:

So basically you hope your camera gets it right and if it doesn’t you change the setting? Why not set the setting for the shot you want before hand and then snap away to your hearts content? I mean youre dicking around with ev and iso anyway right?
But as specz said, horse n courses n shit, couldn’t care less either way

ps. what happened with fmf??

there's no hope involved, and it's kinda more accurate than doing full manual. eg i'm shooting an artist on stage in the sun, i'll set my ISO depending on how bright it is, go for f/5.6 or something and then dial down say -2/3 or -1 EV with centre weighted metering. that way, as the artist moves around, the camera will change the shutter speed depending on the available light. the exposure stays locked though.

if you are shooting manually, then you either need to adjust the shutter on the fly or you'll have exposure going up/down by 1/3-2/3 or more of a stop if you leave your shutter speed the same.

Quote:

base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
< 2,457
Love my blackrapid, fucking rocks. I only have the single setup though. Mine is attached to an arca swiss plate so I can still fire it on the tripod

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 147

Quote:

Fair call. In the extremely limited night/dark gig/event shooting I've done, it's typically been shot in manual, and with a fill flash.

Agreed totally Av would be a nightmare, dragging the shutter across the floor.
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 327
^exactly and thats before adding flash into the mix

Quote:

but that's what i was getting at. It doesn't feel like that really. it doesn't restrict movement unless you want to jump around like a loon and bash your gear into stuff. I barely notice it. having two normal straps tied together doesn't even come close to how this strap feels (yes i've done that too lol). That's exactly why i said wtf don't make assumptions without trying it. It's a very different experience to what your head is thinking up.

i can understand in a crowded music gig it might be a bitch to have two bodies on you at once but that's not what i'm talking about anyway. Functions/weddings/etc it's awesome.
If you only shoot sardine events then it's not for you.

oh and to fix your car analogy, it'd more be like skimping on tyres & getting $20 kmart jobs for your ferrari instead of those pirelli p-zeros
wtf has a sandwich got to do with a car

well assume is all i can do (other than getting feedback from this discussion, which is why we're having it right?) since i have yet to try one or know of anywhere that sells them. even worse that i wont be able to give it a day trial but your note of "its not for festivals" is a bit disheartening.

lol thats a terrible analogy. you and i both know youre not going to get $20 tyres, but you probably could find the right size and series and even the "budget" ones would still do the job for 99% of ferrari drivers anyway.

sandwiches and cars are exactly that, incomparable items at vastly diff. prices. ppl spend lots of money on lenses/cameras cos thats how much they cost. you cant compare them to a strap for $130, as i said, is a bit steep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho View Post

there's no hope involved, and it's kinda more accurate than doing full manual. eg i'm shooting an artist on stage in the sun, i'll set my ISO depending on how bright it is, go for f/5.6 or something and then dial down say -2/3 or -1 EV with centre weighted metering. that way, as the artist moves around, the camera will change the shutter speed depending on the available light. the exposure stays locked though.

if you are shooting manually, then you either need to adjust the shutter on the fly or you'll have exposure going up/down by 1/3-2/3 or more of a stop if you leave your shutter speed the same.

i dunno, seems like its no better or worse. like i said, i eyeball it, set the settings for the shot i want then snap
adjusting shutter on the fly is a cinch, what with the dedicated dial n all, you do have one of those dont you? oh you dont? could be why you dont like adjusting it
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,092
actually the dial for shutter speed in manual mode is roughly in the same place, only more logically placed above the shutter button, not below it.

you've only got one eye in the viewfinder, you can't keep watch of the meter and the subject at the same time. i'd rather just lock the exposure. CRUISE CONTROL BABY!

Quote:

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,924
Behind the scenes of the D4 promo video "Why":

http://vimeo.com/36358006
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,092
beetlecam!

http://blog.burrard-lucas.com/2012/0...ns-masai-mara/

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,456
i follow Burrard Lucas on G+. He's one awesome wildlife tog
https://plus.google.com/u/0/104548627795526843775/posts
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,456
father in law just forwarded me an email from adorama

click on buy now says the page doesn't exist (it's a legit adorama page though). Maybe they accidentally sent the email out before LR4 was supposed to be out?
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206
Moire control probably brought about by d800e IMO.
EAD
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,456
b&h listing same price
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Search=yes&N=0

awesome
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,924
Executive summary of what Lightroom is for?
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
Streamlined non-destructive editing of photos + file organisation?
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,924
Ta. I'm currently in NYC and was planning to go to Adorama anyway. I'll find out what the deal is and report back.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,456
LOLz. watch out if traveling to the us if you have a rocket blower on you
http://gizmodo.com/5892099/add-the-g...ned-by-the-tsa
prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
< 642
haha awesome... going to be a few interesting pranks from this I think

Quote:

Originally Posted by puretrance89 View Post

My muzza's are more tanked up than your muzzas!

Villephant +

Can't see

Times thanked
< 1,458

Quote:

i'm an idiot, how do i set this up?
cos i am trying to get sunrises, but aren't changing the +- thing, and using aperture priority because i am too lazy to go and sit next to the camera and change it every time it clips...
and then you just end up with half the frame clipped, it is shit

found, really obvious too, idiot i am
Villephant - 2014-02 It's still 2, it's still 2!
InfraDread - Lover's Jungle

Last edited by Villephant: 12-Mar-12 at 05:55am

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,924
So I went to Adorama. It was a fucking gong show, so I wandered around for a bit then left without talking to anyone.
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,924
Winners of the Washington Post Nature's Best comp:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...p_ipad#photo=1
krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
so i found out a local newspaper used a photograph of mine without any permission from me.
they cropped it and used it with an article that was printed, and online also.
i have emailed them to take it off, and have not had any reply.
what should i do? i don't want it on there. should i seek some compensation?
they did credit me, but i wouldn't have let them use it in the first place.

absolute cnuts
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 147
^^^ Interesting. Where did they steal it from?

I'd consider hitting them up with an invoice and a deadline to pay, not necessarily for the money simply out of principal of not being contacted prior to publication. They had a choice to PAY for their own photographer, or PAY stock library content, or use your image for FREE without permission. They chose the later.
krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
i had sent the photo (which was very low res) to a friend working at the YMCA in frankston at the skatepark. i said to him he could use it, and he said the newspaper had contacted him wanting to use it. i told him in person and via email that i didn't want them using it without them contacting me first, which was forwarded onto the paper.
they went ahead and used the photo, which he must have sent or showed, they cropped it, and made it look absolutely disgusting.
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 327
seems like youve been screwed from all directions. firstly from your mate who took it on himself to "on sell" your work. this has happened to before too. then the newspaper running with it.
hindsight aside, its been printed so theres no going back. the least you can wish for is them removing it from the site, for anything else you best be prepared for plenty of dicking around and bluff calling when you send them a bill then threaten a collection agency/small claims on them.
you could however switch it up, try and arrange a meeting with the editor and try to get on the payroll for similar shots in the future, but im guessing if theyre happy to pretend theyre a blog and steal your shot without any remuneration then theyre prolly not worth working for.

good luck man
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
atrev2much +

Times thanked
< 137
liiiiiiiiiiiiink

Quote:

Quote:

I give upFlickr&BL0G
krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
they've deleted the article.
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
Which photo?
Won't re-use, promise.
krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
was a photo i shot of tony hawk when i went down to frankston with him.
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 327
^brag post imo

Quote:

Which photo?
Won't re-use, promise.

but you can give it to me, ill sell it for millions then screw you in a crafty double cross muhahahaahahaa!
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206
Would you guys use a macro lens as a portrait lens?

I am considering the 105mm as I enjoy the odd spot of macro stuff, but need a good portrait lens as well.
EAD
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
Absolutely. They're generally the sharpest, and have IS/OS... win!
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,092
yeah macro lens make fine portraits and the newer ones don't really focus any slower unlike macros of yesteryear.

some people however don't like them because they're too sharp and show skin flaws

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,456
highlights from the wedding i shot at the end of feb if anyone's interedasted

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nismor3...7629631535843/
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,456
CS6 beta is out http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/
1.7GB

Dpreview review of the new photographer-related bits
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/260...-photographers
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 327
cs6? didnt they just release cs5??

Quote:

nicely done man
im hoping to get at least half as good with ambient (not my forte'!) this weekend, got roped into a last minute "our photog pulled out" deal. good thing is they already had the "real" wedding OS so this is just a mock deal for their local friends
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,398
Optional

Quote: