Food, Photography and Travel

The Vietnamese Chicken/pork & Salad Roll lovers thread

Tools
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
^ nah I hate on p platers driving hatchbacks-but only the ones that drive like cunce
grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
< 28
word. i hate on taxi drivers. not all of them though
Tunes for the bus volume 2
https://soundcloud.com/grapsta/tunes-for-the-bus-vol-2
amy winehouse vs big youth / silverstones vs g.corp & big youth/ lord echo /salmonella dub /K-tel harvery /richie phoe/ sola rosa / donny hathaway - ( beatsy collins rmx)
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
^ most professional drivers have a bit of an understanding and are pretty good to other professional drivers, you get the odd trucky thats a bit of a rager tho lol. Those soccer mums picking up the kids in the 4wds can be pretty shithouse too
psyv +

unexploring or shall we say re-exploring

Times thanked
< 132
I read an article recently about how eating the same thing everyday can be good for maintaining your weight... and my first thought was, oh so I could have chicken rolls *every day* and call it a diet?
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
^ I don't really like the term diet-to me it says " I am trying to eat healthy, but this is just temporary" whats the point if you don't do it consistently?

ps Im about to go get me a roll
Damos +

Times thanked
< 0
Anyone know a good roll shop near wynyard besides hunter connection?
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
everytime I read this read it makes go get a roll
MissSinatra +

Chilli Willi Whore #2

Times thanked
< 13
Went to the place in Cabramatta last weekend. AMAZING! The pate is phenomenal! Will be returning again this weekend

Pork is not a verb.
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,168
blast from the past.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
re: near Wynard -There's a place called Vermicelli next to Cafe Mecca in King St - and also one in Australia Sq food court. ...I've been curious about it ..got a feeling they do rolls but i could be wrong. ...also theres a pricey Hong Ha that does $6 rolls in this wack little food court that is where Gresham ,Bent and Spring St meet ....not exactly near Wynyard but if you've got an hour for lunch maybe.

3 different places at least in Hunter though
amy winehouse vs big youth / silverstones vs g.corp & big youth/ lord echo /salmonella dub /K-tel harvery /richie phoe/ sola rosa / donny hathaway - ( beatsy collins rmx)
Damos +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapsta View Post

re: near Wynard -There's a place called Vermicelli next to Cafe Mecca in King St - and also one in Australia Sq food court. ...I've been curious about it ..got a feeling they do rolls but i could be wrong. ...also theres a pricey Hong Ha that does $6 rolls in this wack little food court that is where Gresham ,Bent and Spring St meet ....not exactly near Wynyard but if you've got an hour for lunch maybe.

3 different places at least in Hunter though

Awesome, sadly ony 30 mins for lunch but the King st shop is pretty close. Hunter connection isn't too bad so can't really complain. Craving a roll now!
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissSinatra View Post

Went to the place in Cabramatta last weekend. AMAZING! The pate is phenomenal! Will be returning again this weekend

I've been dying to get there and try theirs!!
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by dementruck View Post

there's a place near George and Eddy ave that does an okay one. it's no hong ha, but it fills the cravings. get bbq prok if you're feeling fatty.

just noticed this one...where abouts exactly ? ...near the pawnbrokers ?
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
Its Official-have crammed that many rolls down my gullet am now over them (temporarily)
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
kinda funny - went to Cabramatta today and thought we better have a bahn mi from the place mentioned here before lunch. across from station right hand side - it occurred to me after we had ordered we may have been on wrong side of the tracks though. we got 2 rolls and crossed over to other side of cabra train station to eat rolls and noticed there was also bread roll place on right hand side opp. station. half way through very average rolls we binned them and went to the proper one ....and realised we'd been in East Cabramatta at first. .....the 2nd lot were freakin awesome. My girl said best ever....certainly best Chicken ones I've had- perfect amount of everything.

..so if your ever out that way the place you want is called Cabra Bakery. dont cross over to East cabra
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
westside da bestside yo
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,439
New place just outside St Leonards station specializing in Banh Mi varieties (not a bakery), picked one up today before heading to work for lunch, it's pretty damn tasty!
A good contender for sure!
Reasonably priced at $5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

lyric +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 539
there is a great Vietnamese roll place on Devonshire Street, Surry Hills
In addition to the usual ingredients they have a warm shredded lemongrass chicken option.
very good.
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
^ that lemongrass chicken sounds worthy

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Cherry Lane Cakes opp Chatswood station has gone downhill bigtime. They have started getting very jibby on the fillings. Not worth making a detour for but still ok value at $4.20 if you need to eat in chatswood. Also they advertise ANY 375ML SOFT DRINK for 1 Dorrar however it only applies to cans and they will not give you a 375ml soft drink bottle for the advertised price.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,463

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post

^ most professional drivers have a bit of an understanding and are pretty good to other professional drivers, you get the odd trucky thats a bit of a rager tho lol. Those soccer mums picking up the kids in the 4wds can be pretty shithouse too

The instructor who took my truck licence test is an ex-interstate truckie, in the middle of my driving test he had a massive argument with some fucknuckle who was giving us a dirty look because I pulled into a lane in front of him (I'd been indicating to move across for ages, he should've made room for me anyway, dickhead) . Was pretty funny seeing the instructOr raging at this dude and threatening to have him arrested. And yes, I passed the test.
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

Originally Posted by turkman View Post

New place just outside St Leonards station specializing in Banh Mi varieties (not a bakery), picked one up today before heading to work for lunch, it's pretty damn tasty!
A good contender for sure!
Reasonably priced at $5.

Thanks brobot!! Gonna hit that place up very soon
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
^^ I spose being an interstate trucky is a state of mind-truckies fire up big time

^ you guys in St leonards should get into some "cafe wasabi" pretty good takeaway sushi/japanese cnr pac hwy and lithgow st
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,463

Quote:

^^ I spose being an interstate trucky is a state of mind-truckies fire up big time

Spend any amount of time driving a heavy truck in traffic and you realise why pretty quickly- a lot of drivers are complete ignorant fucktards dealing with heavy vehicles. ideally anyone getting a driver's license should have to ride around in a truck for half a day to get an idea of what they're actually sharing the road with.

Also had a nice pork roll on Victoria St in Richmond again today, but everyone knows it's prolly the best place in Australia for pork rolls anyway (along with Cabramatta) so thats not exactly news.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

Last edited by SpaceMonkey: 18-Jan-12 at 11:02pm

turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,439
This is the place -

http://www.facebook.com/SaigonRolls

So far now I've tried both the pork and chicken rolls.
They fair up pretty nicely, definitely a tasty banh mi.

Quote:

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
If you're heading towards the city, what side of St Leonard's station do I exit Turkman? Think I might head there from Chatty for a roll...
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
Found it easily! Holy shit, what a gold mine!! Thanks for the heads up Turk!

Had the lemongrass chicken roll and am just blown away on every level. The place sells rolls, rice paper rolls only, is extremely fresh and super friendly not to mention a big, fast moving line.
Gotta say that was one of the best ones I've had in Sydney.

Will defo make the short train trip again and again just to go there!!

Gonefishin - get in on that action dude. 4.5 stars!
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
^ I might try a sample on tuesday as I have work in northbridge-this sounds worth a detour : )
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,707

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

Spend any amount of time driving a heavy truck in traffic and you realise why pretty quickly- a lot of drivers are complete ignorant fucktards dealing with heavy vehicles. ideally anyone getting a driver's license should have to ride around in a truck for half a day to get an idea of what they're actually sharing the road with.

I'm pretty respectful of trucks and truckies and give them heaps of space to turn and all that shit, but sometimes I've seen them do shit that is so complacent and negligent and manslaughterish it defies belief.
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
< 142
I havent been out west. But imo Marrickville Pork roll dominates anything within a 20km radius of the city.

It is easy better than hong ha anyway.
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
Hong Ha's overrated for sure.

This new joint I came across at St Leonard's is a close, very close 2nd to Marrickville.
airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
< 12,488
There's a new pork roll place on Illawarra rd near video ezy, rolls are $3. yet to try them though
psyv +

Times thanked
< 132

Quote:

^ I don't really like the term diet-to me it says " I am trying to eat healthy, but this is just temporary" whats the point if you don't do it consistently?

ps Im about to go get me a roll

I know right! Never been on a diet in my life. They just don't make sense.

Has anyone tried the Papa roll (or something like that) place next door to Broadway? They have a deal for a roll and a soft drink for 5 bucks.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,463

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyv View Post

I know right! Never been on a diet in my life. They just don't make sense.

They make sense if you're trying to LOSE weight. A healthy diet is eating at maintenance so you shouldn't really gain or lose anything on it, if you're trying to shed weight seriously you need to restrict things a bit more, then once you make your goal weight relax a bit but still keep things healthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

MissSinatra +

Chilli Willi Whore #2

Times thanked
< 13
Went back to Tien Minh in Cabra on Sat. Best pate ever!

Will be returning in two weeks.

Pork is not a verb.
psyv +

Times thanked
< 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

They make sense if you're trying to LOSE weight. A healthy diet is eating at maintenance so you shouldn't really gain or lose anything on it, if you're trying to shed weight seriously you need to restrict things a bit more, then once you make your goal weight relax a bit but still keep things healthy.

Yeah ok... They don't make sense for me then!
Madam Lasher +

lol

Times thanked
< 146
Went to Hong Ha in mascot on the weekend, line was up the street and they're still amazing 12 years on. I swear the same lady used to serve me in highschool too.
Madam Lasher +

lol

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli-G View Post

I havent been out west. But imo Marrickville Pork roll dominates anything within a 20km radius of the city.

It is easy better than hong ha anyway.

Hmm I'm yet to try the Marrickville one...must try this weekend
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMoney View Post

Hong Ha's overrated for sure.

This new joint I came across at St Leonard's is a close, very close 2nd to Marrickville.

I dropped in on this place a little while back to get a sample.... I went the lemongrass chicken roll, the chicken filling looked the way canned tuna goes after baking in the oven... combined with an extremely hard crusted roll this was a pretty dry offering. I think they were around $7.00.
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,439
Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of the lemon grass chicken roll from there but all the rest are quite tasty and one of the best pork rolls I've ever eaten.
Regularly fresh and flavoursome.
I'm very happy to drop $5 on a pork roll from there because I know I'll be getting quality.

A hard crusty Viet roll is what you want though, shows that it's fresh also.

Quote:

gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
I went there today, the pork roll is good-the pate is more refined and peppery than other places-very tasty. had three dim sims and some fresh prawn rolls which were pretty good. 4.5 stars
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
Had a pretty good bbq pork roll for Pho Ha Noi in Hunter Connection this morning ....thats the first place at the top of the escalators....whatas good was they mince the bbq pork up..never seen it done like that before. best roll I've had at the Hunter
MissSinatra +

Chilli Willi Whore #2

Times thanked
< 13
Had Hong Ha on Saturday for the first time - definitely overrated! Pate was the biggest let down for me; it usually is.

Tien Minh still wins!

Pork is not a verb.
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
Hoping to get to that Cabra one soon
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
did you have pork or chicken at hong ha
MissSinatra +

Chilli Willi Whore #2

Times thanked
< 13
Pork.

Pork is not a verb.
sonicc +

>O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK

Times thanked
< 3,319
Marrickville Healthy Rolls have opened a new store on Liverpool Road Ashfield, have not tried it yet but it looks the goods.
Cats are not actually smaller than horses, they are just further away - ITM PROVERB
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
people have suggested here that hong ha is all about the fresh chicken. i had a pork roll there before i read that...nothing spesh at all
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 28
Finally tried v8 rolls yesterday on Elizabeth near Albion ......not the best..it's ok but needs more pate etc and less mayo. $5.5o and up is bit pricey....I had a roast beef one because I haven't seen that before. ....and if you wanna pay $7 you can have bacon as well. bit wacky
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
haven't had one in aaaages >.<
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

Originally Posted by grapsta View Post

Finally tried v8 rolls yesterday on Elizabeth near Albion ......not the best..it's ok but needs more pate etc and less mayo. $5.5o and up is bit pricey....I had a roast beef one because I haven't seen that before. ....and if you wanna pay $7 you can have bacon as well. bit wacky

Roast beef? Bacon?? Sounds a bit too Western for my liking. Next they'll be putting avocado and cheese in it

« Previous Thread Next Thread »