Current Affairs and Politics

Gay rights and gay marriage

Tools
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan...l_(ice_hockey)

Apparently he played for the Sudbury Wolves.
HERPA DERPA, HERPADEE DOO
I'VE GOT A PERFECT PUZZLE FOR YOU
HERPA DERPA, HERPADAH DEE
IF YOU ARE WISE, YOU'LL LISTEN TO ME.
B_e_de +

It's more fun if you just follow the script

Times thanked
< 7,331
Related:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Burke

Brendan Burke, son of Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke. One of the first openly gay athletes, who died in a car crash.

His dad is as tough as nails and was absolutely supportive and forthcoming about his son. His other son (scout for the Philadelphia Flyers) and him have now launched the You Can Play campaign that utilises NHL stars from across the league who are all spreading the same message "If you can play, you can play".

It's one of the first campaigns (outside of that AFL star who was promoting tolerance) I've seen where athletes are encouraging respect and tolerance for gay athletes within sports.

Welcome to 2012.
nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
< 2,014
Also big on the gays in sport front is Ben Cohen (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...hobia-us-sport). Rugby Union in general has been making massive strides in the gay community. I'm playing at the Bingham Cup in Manchester this year along with 40+ other gay teams from across the world. The Sydney Warratahs do a lot of work with us, with players joining us for training sessions or they recently helped run our stall at Mardi Gras Fair Day.
"I theme-dress depending on where I'm going... if I was going to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, I would wear a kimono - it makes it more fun." Kelly Osbourne.

"yeah, i have back problems that i tried to cure with heroin. what of it?"
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028
one of my good mates came out not long ago but is totally against gay marriage. he also fucked and NFL player that is married with kids
horst +

Times thanked
< 408
What?
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028
he's gay but opposes gay marriage, i don't get it either.

anyway, david hille.... loves it
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543
Yeh i have a gay mate who is against gay marriage as well. I also have no idea why though.
mogmac +

Times thanked
< 106
sorry if its already been posted...

australian parliamentary survey on support for marriage equality bill.

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_...ge%2Findex.htm
Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 982

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coezi View Post

Yeh i have a gay mate who is against gay marriage as well. I also have no idea why though.

Because he loves being a man whore, without the pressures of marriage and commitment?
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
< 1,209

Quote:

perhaps you are just not marriage material
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
So Tony Abbott's sister has come out of the closet.

This probably doesn't really hurt Abbott at all does it?
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,130
why would it hurt abbott?
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
FreeEasy +

ssss

Times thanked
< 11
I bet if gay marriage got approved they would have the highest divorce rate in the country.
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,953
^^ poor troll is poor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

why would it hurt abbott?

I think he's saying the opposite. it'll show he has a human side, a common man's struggle between family and principle.... his media advisers if they're any good could use this to significantly influence some demographics that are currently very anti Abbott.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Thank you Bracko, that's what I was insinuating.

Also, it'll show he's not an ignorant, Bob Katter-esque "there's no gays in my electorate" homophobe. At least, it'll be used in this way.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,332

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fewsion View Post

Thank you Bracko, that's what I was insinuating.

Also, it'll show he's not an ignorant, Bob Katter-esque "there's no gays in my electorate" homophobe. At least, it'll be used in this way.

Cause having a gay brother has really worked in Katter's favour hasn't it?

He's certainly going to have to work it better than Bob has.

Quote:

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,953
yeah... perhaps Krazy as a Kut snake Katter isn't the best example....

besides, I can't see Katter having any decent media advisors, he smacks of the person who would just hire staff to agree with him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

PertiVanHelden +

Times thanked
< 97
Anyone on Twitter should check out @lyleshelton live tweeting the senate inquiry into same sex marriage recently. Fuck he copped some abuse
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...621-20qs0.html

Agreed.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,130
that someones imaginary friend is allowed to be considered relevant in a secular society on human rights is fucking bollocks
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Problem with democracy jdoodle? HA HA HA HA HA!

edit: Should offer something at the risk of being accused of trolling:

Would you disallow people from considering religion or God relevant?
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

My view is that people who believe in the notion of God should be given full respect but they should never presume they have access to a priori truths. Christians would get a great deal more respect if they at least made half an effort to follow the teachings of Jesus.
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726
At some point we are going to have to stop people incapable of rational thought from voting.

It's just natural selection at work. You religious types had a good run and deism helped humanity get to where it is now but now your belief systems are preventing you embracing technology and change. If you are consistently the slowest members of society to embrace new changes it's really just a matter of time till you all become extinct.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

At some point we are going to have to stop people incapable of rational thought from voting.

It's just natural selection at work. You religious types had a good run and deism helped humanity get to where it is now but now your belief systems are preventing you embracing technology and change. If you are consistently the slowest members of society to embrace new changes it's really just a matter of time till you all become extinct.

Education kills religion. Until the vast majority of the world's peoples are educated, various religions will run riot spreading their virus like fear of God/Allah/whatever and using it as a means of control.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

My view is that people who believe in the notion of God should be given full respect but they should never presume they have access to a priori truths. Christians would get a great deal more respect if they at least made half an effort to follow the teachings of Jesus.

Here here.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,130
did you mean hear hear?
Davomaxi +

No. Money Down!

Times thanked
< 983
I don't get why there needs to be a debate between two big sides at all. This is simply about equality and giving everybody the same freedoms, rights and opportunities. For a considerable amount of society, marriage has long left behind any link to religion, so who gives a crap if religious groups are against it. The government needs to do the right thing and lift the restriction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I killed all my family because they wouldn't suck my dick.

Medium Rurrrr!

See my blog http://ecentreofexcellence.blogspot.com.au/
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,130

Quote:

problem with living in a secular country HAHAHAHAHAHA
2 more census and your harry potter society won't even be a significant minority anymore, something to look forward to
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
If we legalise gay marriage, can we then get rid of that embarassing parade of poor taste called the gay mardi gras?
Davomaxi +

No. Money Down!

Times thanked
< 983

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

If we legalise gay marriage, can we then get rid of that embarassing parade of poor taste called the gay mardi gras?

Lol you might have to speak with the gay Queen and Queen about that. (hurr)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I killed all my family because they wouldn't suck my dick.

Medium Rurrrr!

See my blog http://ecentreofexcellence.blogspot.com.au/
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
i can't believe it's 2012 and fags are on the back of balmain rental trucks in leather g-bangers parading through the city
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,130
who cares?
phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
< 203
It's one night a year on one street. Easy enough to avoid if you dont like it.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96

Quote:

did you mean hear hear?

There there
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,130
your mum
PertiVanHelden +

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

i can't believe it's 2012 and fags are on the back of balmain rental trucks in leather g-bangers parading through the city

Becaaaaause... you thought the gays would have died out by now? What difference does the year make?
elliotclarke +

Kana

Times thanked
< 22
I can't believe they're still wasting tax payers money on these public servants in an attempt to take our focus away from EURO 2012. It's not an issue, it's not news - approve the fucking bill and let's all wake up tomorrow exactly the same way we did today. Disgraceful.
Kana Broadcasting/Kana de Radiodifusión
仮名が放送する

--
Kana Home
Follow on Soundcloud
Follow on Twitter
Follow on Facebook
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

Originally Posted by PertiVanHelden View Post

Becaaaaause... you thought the gays would have died out by now? What difference does the year make?

I believe the original point he was trying to make was that once they have marriage rights, what else is there left for them to be parading about? Will it just become an outright "pride" parade afterwards?

Imagine if some people got together and had a "white pride" parade through Sydney. I wonder if the general population would afford those people the same "equality" and "rights" as they do for gays.
custaro +

Thirsty Critter

Times thanked
< 669

Quote:

I believe the original point he was trying to make was that once they have marriage rights, what else is there left for them to be parading about? Will it just become an outright "pride" parade afterwards?

Imagine if some people got together and had a "white pride" parade through Sydney. I wonder if the general population would afford those people the same "equality" and "rights" as they do for gays.

Do you not understand the meaning of the word 'minority' or are you just slow/a bigot?

Why don't you go and start a 'white pride' parade for the oppressed white majority and see how far you get?
you're in my hut now
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

Originally Posted by custaro View Post

Do you not understand the meaning of the word 'minority' or are you just slow/a bigot?

Why don't you go and start a 'white pride' parade for the oppressed white majority and see how far you get?

That was the point i was making, yes.

Do you need to be oppressed before you can be "proud"? Must you be a "minority" to be "proud" of who/what you are? Apparently so.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Do you need to be oppressed before you can be "proud"? Must you be a "minority" to be "proud" of who/what you are? Apparently so.

no, but given that the gay community have an overwhelming need for attention, the mardi gras gives the 'community' the 15 seconds of fame they crave every 12 months because the equality they now have means they have nothing else to attract attention to themselves with
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 14,987

Quote:

Ever been in Australia round about January 26th?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Ever been in Australia round about January 26th?

Good example: National Pride. It also comes with a public holiday and people tend to join in on whatever you tell them to when you give them a day off work.

Makes sense though right? To have an "Australia day" in Australia. I think most countries have similar affairs in one way or another. I mean why not, you're all Australian, the majority and you are in Australia. Why not have a big piss-up to celebrate. Don't even think about being proud of being white though, anything but that.

Now why don't we have a pride day for all the minority nationals residing in Australia? We love minority groups don't we? The homosexuals get a pride parade because they're a minority so why don't the Ugandans? What about the oppressed Zoophiles? It's time people stood up and recognised their rights or is that too "wrong" for comfort?
custaro +

Thirsty Critter

Times thanked
< 669
What the fuck are you on about dude. Every immigrant group has their own day of pride, usually on their national day. If they don't have one, they're free to start one. If all the immigrant groups want to band together to have a day of immigrant pride they're welcome to do that too.

What's your beef with the homos? Are you jealous that you don't get to parade down Oxford St in assless chaps?

edit: Calendar of Cultural and Religious Dates

You'll be pleased to know the Croatians, Mozambicans and Slovenians are celebrating their national pride today!
you're in my hut now
didjeridude +

Random Rhythm Generator

Times thanked
< 482

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

Deism set back the scientific method by about 1000yrs. Humans would have set foot on the moon at the same time Galileo was only looking at it in more detail.
Reality: To be or not to be? The Adventures of Dr Shroom (and Captain Jones)
didjeridude +

Random Rhythm Generator

Times thanked
< 482

Quote:

Can you not see the reason why those two things are polar opposites?

Gay pride is about creating equality and ending discrimination .

White pride is about removing equality and creating discrimination.
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

Originally Posted by custaro View Post

What the fuck are you on about dude. Every immigrant group has their own day of pride, usually on their national day. If they don't have one, they're free to start one. If all the immigrant groups want to band together to have a day of immigrant pride they're welcome to do that too.

What's your beef with the homos? Are you jealous that you don't get to parade down Oxford St in assless chaps?

edit: Calendar of Cultural and Religious Dates

You'll be pleased to know the Croatians, Mozambicans and Slovenians are celebrating their national pride today!

What makes you think i have a problem with homos? I have no such issue.

I am simply trying to raise awareness about Zoophiles, the fact they aren't acknowledged and their lack of rights.

Oh and of course the completely hypocritical nature of the whole business.
Coezi +

Times thanked
< 543

Quote:

Originally Posted by didjeridude View Post

Gay pride is about creating equality and ending discrimination .

White pride is about removing equality and creating discrimination.

Sorry, why?

Why is a white person (who is proud) a proponent of discrimination and lack of equality? Please enlighten me.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,332

Quote:

Sorry, why?

Why is a white person (who is proud) a proponent of discrimination and lack of equality? Please enlighten me.

For a start there isn't really such a thing as "white culture", when people claim to be espousing white pride what they're really saying is "we're better than them
darkies and don't want to associate with them". Look at the definition of "white" that most white pride types adhere to- its generally something along the lines of "person of non-jewish European descent with no discernible part of non-white ancestry". Even if you are 1/16th non-white, you don't count as white and get kicked out of the club.
Pretty much every other group that identifies along racial lines does it on an inclusive basis- if you have any ancestry from that group and you identify with them, then you're accepted.
I'm half white and half south Asian, the dark half have no trouble accepting me as one of theirs, if I had white power relos on the other side of the family I doubt they'd be so accommodating.

Last edited by SpaceMonkey: 25-Jun-12 at 10:30am

didjeridude +

Random Rhythm Generator

Times thanked
< 482

Quote:

Sorry, why?

You're the one who brought it up as an example, maybe you should get a clue klu about where the term came from and what it means first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wikipedia

White pride is a slogan indicating pride in being white. The slogan has been adopted by neo-Nazi and white supremacist organizations.

notice the similarity....

« Previous Thread Next Thread »