The Music Studio

cubase 6 or ableton live 8 ?

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
AFROwookie +

Times thanked
< 4
cubase 6 or ableton live 8 ?
i saw some photos of zedd, dirty south, steve angello, porter robinson and they were all using cubase 6 on their mac laptops
and then like everyone knows that ableton is meant to be the best music production software atm. skrillex, deadmau5 and millions of others use it but i just dont know. cubase seems more inviting it looks better and seems easier to use

i have to choose because im going to do a production course which one should i choose ?
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245
Yes. Pick one or the other

Now stop asking silly questions.
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
Find your favourite artist, and do EVERYTHING they do...
Tech-One
hpstekno +

Times thanked
< 14
use both ... i do
hopselectroniks@myspace
MY JJJunearthed page
timothyallan +

Dance Music SuperProducer

Times thanked
< 60
Find the latest FM mag video, see what they use in that... and then use it.
Beatport | Timothyallan.com | Twitter | Mixing/Mastering/Tutoring |
EDM Video Tutorials
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Hold off on a production course until you've used it for a while. What a waste of money.
tmfllr +

does a chimp wank in his food?

Times thanked
< 16
why would you do a production course? that's what the internet is for
Soundcloud
khaiyin +

Lightnite

Times thanked
< 4
Scotch or Bourbon?
/|±±|\
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaiyin View Post

Scotch or Bourbon?

Axwell drinks scotch i heard...
Tech-One
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
< 69
I'd go with Live, that way it will be easier to collaborate with skrillex and deadmau5 when you're ready in a few weeks time.

Seriously though you will not know 'til you try them for yourself. They are both quite different imo with strengths and weaknesses to either side. I can see why hpstekno uses both.
omnipresence +

hocus pocus by focus

Times thanked
< 19
If you like the look of Cubase, get that.
Info // Soundcloud // Facebook // Twitter
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
< 16
steve is probs still learning cubase...his a logic man at heart lol. the downside about cubase is that you loose a USB port (for steinberg usb key)
http://soundcloud.com/ezzcal/ezzcal-dub-04-free-project-file-4-u
opiate +

Times thanked
< 43
I thought all those guys used Logic?

Are people starting to switch to Cubase? (doubt it)

If I were you, I'd use either straight Ableton or Ableton AND Cubase. Work the groove / crux of your tune in Abletons, then bounce tracks / loops into Cubase then do a polish and mix. Cubase, Logic and Protools still do produce a better overall mix than Ableton, which can sacrifice quality for CPU efficiency.

That being said, there's a lot going for having one DAW. Some producers I admired used to run Ableton / Logic front end with Pro Tools back end, but have scaled it back to just Logic for efficiency. It all depends how focused you are on audio quality. Dual DAWs might not be worth it at your stage.
"The funk is a creature...like a giant medicine ball covered in nipples...

It fell from space onto Bootsy Collins' farm and that's how he got The Funk"

http://soundcloud.com/revampd/
BasketCase +

Times thanked
< 19
Come on, guys. Surely every one of you has been there at some point in time? I know I sure as hell was when I was young and just getting into music. Granted it was guitars and amplifiers and effects pedals. The music you love made by the artists you like and starting with the tools they use seems like a rather logical place to start to me.

Don't both Ableton and Cubase offer trial periods? Why not try one for 30 days, then try the other. Decide which you like best? Neither Ableton or Cubase have a distinct advantage over each other in the creation of music. You can get the same great results with both, just with slightly different processes. Use the one that works best for you.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by opiate View Post

Cubase, Logic and Protools still do produce a better overall mix than Ableton, which can sacrifice quality for CPU efficiency.

Serious question, is that a fact or speculation? What does Live do to reduce quality to get better CPU efficiency? At what CPU load does quality sacrificing kick in? Why would they bother?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
Live does trade off audio quality, only with its standard plugins though!
Tech-One
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

Live does trade off audio quality, only with its standard plugins though!

Are you talking about the High Quality option?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

Are you talking about the High Quality option?

Thats part of it, there is plenty of threads on it, no need to re-explain here.
Tech-One
timothyallan +

Times thanked
< 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe-Trojan View Post

I'd go with Live, that way it will be easier to collaborate with skrillex and deadmau5 when you're ready in a few weeks time.

A++ would LOL again.
EDM Video Tutorials
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

Thats part of it, there is plenty of threads on it, no need to re-explain here.

Plug ins affect the sound of all DAWs.
timothyallan +

Times thanked
< 60
^ heavy
EDM Video Tutorials
opiate +

Times thanked
< 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

Serious question, is that a fact or speculation? What does Live do to reduce quality to get better CPU efficiency? At what CPU load does quality sacrificing kick in? Why would they bother?

A lot! Its on the fly timestretching / warp is a biggie. Applying the same timestretching offline using MPEX4 makes a huge difference. Variaudio on-the-fly timestretching sounds a lot better than Ableton Warp IMO. And the quality of Ableton's bundled plugs, even on high-quality (which as far as I know just increases the oversampling), aren't AS good as logic / cubase's bundled plugs.

Despite that, the workflow benefits of Ableton make it still well worth using.

claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by opiate View Post

A lot! Its on the fly timestretching / warp is a biggie. Applying the same timestretching offline using MPEX4 makes a huge difference. Variaudio on-the-fly timestretching sounds a lot better than Ableton Warp IMO. And the quality of Ableton's bundled plugs, even on high-quality (which as far as I know just increases the oversampling), aren't AS good as logic / cubase's bundled plugs.

Despite that, the workflow benefits of Ableton make it still well worth using.

The time stretching one is interesting, because they all use the same timestretching engine, zplane's elastique (PRO). I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but I don't think you can make statements like Ableton sacrifices quality for CPU efficiency - I think it depends on what you are actually asking of the DAW. And Ableton allows you to ask a lot.

I agree with the plugs, but most fastidious producers I know tend to use third party plugs anyway.
karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
< 40
Ill give you a serious response but before I do.....

It honestly comes down to what you feel comfortable using... ive heard some amazing work produced on reason/fruity loops/cubase/logic/ableton.

I used Cubase in my band days back in the 90's, I hated it with a passion. When I started producing dance music I began on Reason but soon found out quick enough that you can only go so far with it without having to re-wire something to overcome one of its limitations. I now use Ableton purely because of its fast workflow, speed/ease of use. Ive seen seasoned cubase users though in action and it honestly really comes down to what you are comfortable with. Grab the free trials, have a bash and see which one you like.

The whole "Ableton's audio quality is crapper than other DAW's" thing whilst true is slowly becoming a thing of the past, Version 8 has made huge improvements over previous edditions in this area and is less noticeable . the on board plugin's on ableton though are miles behind the Logic/Cubase ones.. but as someone has already pointed out - 3rd party plugs ftw .
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll
Rhythm Mechanic - Systematic Roll (KS rmx)
High Eight - Open Your Eyes (KS rmx)
Mesmer - Le Fued Food (KS rmx)
Mesmer - Glaregaze (KS rmx)

Blu-Dome +

Times thanked
< 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlsav View Post

The whole "Ableton's audio quality is crapper than other DAW's" thing whilst true is slowly becoming a thing of the past, Version 8 has made huge improvements over previous edditions in this area and is less noticeable

This.

to the OP- I think both DAWs are now similar enough that it comes down to what program most easily allows you to get creative, and then get those ideas 'down on paper'. I use Cubase 6, but can appreciate how workflow/creativity would be easier on ableton. Some say ableton makes mangling sounds/loops and getting creative easier, though arranger mode, loopmasher, variaudio etc does combat this somewhat.

You will find many dedicated electronic production forums bashing one or the other, this thread strangely seems one of the most balanced. As people have said, try both, then go for whichever you dig most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz

"I'd say he's more of a music slut than a whore. Whores get paid, sluts don't they just love it. Keeping your musical legs open and getting pile driven by techno while tech house gives you the reach around."

http://soundcloud.com/gabriel_gilmour

Last edited by Blu-Dome: 07-Mar-12 at 03:42pm

djjass +

Times thanked
< 4
The program you use has nothing to do with it, like everyone else has said learn one and stick with it, FL, Logic, Abelton, Cubase all have pros and cons.

Its not the size of the kitches, its how good the cook is
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96

Quote:

I used Cubase in my band days back in the 90's, I hated it with a passion. When I started producing dance music I began on Reason but soon found out quick enough that you can only go so far with it without having to re-wire something to overcome my limitations.

Fixed.

P.S. Reason user.
Blu-Dome +

Times thanked
< 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by djjass View Post

Its not the size of the kitches, its how good the cook is

Having a good oven helps though. I hear the George Formleton 8.2 is a beast, though not very good for cubasting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz

"I'd say he's more of a music slut than a whore. Whores get paid, sluts don't they just love it. Keeping your musical legs open and getting pile driven by techno while tech house gives you the reach around."

http://soundcloud.com/gabriel_gilmour
ondray +

Slamm the floor with bass...!!

Times thanked
< 2
Cubase.. Live's for dummies
www.minus3audio.com | music mastering
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
Pro Tools... the industry standard.
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245
Yah, maybe in 1998...

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
Pffft... whatever. Pro Tools is up to version 10, while Ableton's reached just version 8, and Cubase is trailing way behind at version 6.
BasketCase +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

Pffft... whatever. Pro Tools is up to version 10...

And it still doesn't have offline bounce!

I really love the layout in protools. It is how I prefer to work... but the lack of offline bounce really pisses me off sometimes. Last week I had 9 hours of voice overs to handle. Even just consolidating and exporting regions in protools would have taken 10 hours. Reaper did it in less than 2. If it weren't for the joys of TDM plugins and tracking through them with minimal latency, i'd probably have dropped it long ago.

Avid seem intent on destroying digidesigns reputation as well.
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
< 245

Quote:

Pffft... whatever. Pro Tools is up to version 10, while Ableton's reached just version 8, and Cubase is trailing way behind at version 6.

Well played
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,911
ACID Pro
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
ondray +

Slamm the floor with bass...!!

Times thanked
< 2

Quote:

Actually, it's the other way around.. Pro Tools has tried 10 times to get it right, Ableton's tried 8 times to get it right and Cubase, well they got it right at only 6 tries..
www.minus3audio.com | music mastering
nick007 +

Custom User

Times thanked
< 5
They all do the same shit - take samples, midi notes, and effects, and put them on a canvas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flippy

i want the thickest streamz you've ever seen in your life all over my face...

karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
< 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fewsion View Post

Fixed.

P.S. Reason user.

Mmm - I guess its *my* limitation that Reason *still * can't record audio into it. My bad.

Edit; looks like the released Reason Record or some shit? Oh well too late, only took them 6 versions to get over their "eliteness" to finally give in and do it.
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll
Rhythm Mechanic - Systematic Roll (KS rmx)
High Eight - Open Your Eyes (KS rmx)
Mesmer - Le Fued Food (KS rmx)
Mesmer - Glaregaze (KS rmx)

Last edited by karlsav: 16-Mar-12 at 06:56pm

Route36 +

Times thanked
< 0
Hey guys, how about in terms of support & quality of the updates? Im assuming most of you have done it long enough to have gone through a number of versions. Are there DAW's that are notorious or have issues with compatibility to various vst/plugins?

Im new to it all and have tried out FL over the past month, flicked through a heap of youtube clips just to try and understand it all and bashing about with various plugins. Coming to the understanding that the learning curve is a **** (to put it nicely) for someone new to it like myself.

Although it sounds like some of you think they are basically the same thing with different feel, my biggest concern is going through the huge learning curve on one DAW in particular and then realising its not great for the style of music I want to create, or it doesnt work with a live EDM performances (a path I am trying to steer towards)

I do see the Ableton workshops around (seriously doubtful of going to them - not going to mention any names), so I feel a sense of dominance in that system.

FL, Logic, Ableton, ProTools, Cubase. Major differences? How hard is it to change between them? Or should I just stick it out and try EVERY single LE version on the market then proceed from there?

I need a beer.
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,503
Cubase is notorious for breaking absolutely everything with a new version.

Ableton isn't as bad, though they did break stuff with Live 8.

I prefer Ableton now because it's so much more easier to put ideas down, but Cubase is better for polishing a track.
GrouchyMonkey +

Times thanked
< 0
Seriously - Version Numbers??

Quote:

You can't be serious...version numbers have NOTHING to do with quality, capabilities or user-friendliness. Pro Tools took 10 versions to catch up with some capabilities in Cubase 5. Ableton is geared for a specific purpose as is Cubase.

I use both. Cubase is my standard (6.5) and I also know Pro Tools. For me Cubase blends the old-fashioned tape approach used in PT 10 and the enhanced MIDI capabilities of CB6. So...I create "analog" music in CB and then export it to Ableton 8 to prepare it for live performance. (with Akai controller).

Cubase could be used for live performance (i've used it), but Live 8 is geared to perform live.
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,503
Your sarcasm detector is broken.
dn-ul +

yooo

Times thanked
< 1,174

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

Your sarcasm detector is broken.

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrouchyMonkey View Post

You can't be serious...version numbers have NOTHING to do with quality, capabilities or user-friendliness. Pro Tools took 10 versions to catch up with some capabilities in Cubase 5. Ableton is geared for a specific purpose as is Cubase.

I use both. Cubase is my standard (6.5) and I also know Pro Tools. For me Cubase blends the old-fashioned tape approach used in PT 10 and the enhanced MIDI capabilities of CB6. So...I create "analog" music in CB and then export it to Ableton 8 to prepare it for live performance. (with Akai controller).

Cubase could be used for live performance (i've used it), but Live 8 is geared to perform live.

That was your FIRST post....
Tech-One
ayampanggang +

yeah

Times thanked
< 0
and now hes gone out somewhere telling people that itmers are a bunch of noobz hihihi
http://soundcloud.com/lolski
dn-ul +

yooo

Times thanked
< 1,174
haha ITMERS are surprisingly quiet good in regards to noob ratio, spend 30 mins on gear sluts and the shit on there is mind blowing. Some things ive seen; Best cheap headphones for mastering ?, how do you know when a sample can be good or not?, What type of reverb for electronic music ?

seriously its easy to see why the music industry as such a high fail rate when there so many dead beats
djjass +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by dn-ul View Post

haha ITMERS are surprisingly quiet good in regards to noob ratio, spend 30 mins on gear sluts and the shit on there is mind blowing. Some things ive seen; Best cheap headphones for mastering ?, how do you know when a sample can be good or not?, What type of reverb for electronic music ?

seriously its easy to see why the music industry as such a high fail rate when there so many dead beats

Sometimes its like the blind leading the blind unfortunately.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrouchyMonkey View Post

Excellent post
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96

Quote:

Mmm - I guess its *my* limitation that Reason *still * can't record audio into it. My bad.

Edit; looks like the released Reason Record or some shit? Oh well too late, only took them 6 versions to get over their "eliteness" to finally give in and do it.

Apology accepted.

Audio could always be loaded in the samplers. You're just making excuses.
opiate +

Times thanked
< 43
STUDIO ONE TWO ... or STUDIO TWO ...

Just to be unique

Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »