Nrl 2012

Closed thread
  Tools
nasals +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

Not that I want to get into this again, especially when I may or may not still be a little boozed... But... Wally is in the Team of the Century and is already an Immortal, saying Kenny is better and citing Qld influences and a media driven campaign is laughable.

Kenny isn't even in the Rugby League Hall of Fame?

The Golden Boot, although a prestigious award, isn't the sole criteria for being an Immortal, much like scoring consecutive tries in finals. Does that mean Minicello can expect entry in a few years?

To be honest, the whole Kenny should get in in this thread is the first I've ever heard his name mentioned in any discussions around who's next to be entered.

The next 3 in no order will be Johns, Meninga and Lockyer.

That's fine and you're entitled to your opinion. If you read my post properly I state that I don't believe Kenny and other players who were better than Meninga and Lockyer will ever get in. They have alot of obstacles in that they primarily have next to no media support. All the players being considered except for Norm Provan have prominent media roles.

Since you don't know much about Kenny, I can tell you that when NSW won the State of Origin for the first time in 1985 and then backed it up with a clean sweep in 1986 , players from both sides , Garry Jack , Michael O'Connor, Paul Vautin and Peter Jackson said Kenny was the reason NSW won because he was the only one who could match and outplay Wally Lewis. His record for NSW at 5/8 against Lewis is NSW 8 Wins QLD 4 Wins. No other 5/8 playing against Lewis has close to a winning record against QLD.

He was the first Australian player to win the Lance Todd Trophy in the English Challenge Cup final outplaying his Parramatta team-mate Peter Sterling and had a much better representative career than Sterling did. He was the proto-type player for guys that came after like Laurie Daley, Brad Clyde, Kevin Walters and Wayne Bennet described Darren Lockyer as a young Brett Kenny.

All I'm saying is that he deserves to get in but he most likely never will as pure on field performance does not appear to be the criteria.

I do see a double standard some comments made, in that Kenny scored 2 tries in three consecutive GF's and it's not considered a big deal but Bob Fulton does it once and he's an Immortal.
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,992
Adam Blair's hair is fantastic
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,992
seriously he's like the black Shirley Temple
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,992
Moltz 4 Kangaroos

Eshay Igertays first clean sheet in joint venture history

longtigers.jpg
airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
< 12,092
Woods is going to be a champion
Unspoilt by Progress
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_bop View Post

I'll be happy with 30-0.

I'm over the moon.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by nasals View Post

That's fine and you're entitled to your opinion. If you read my post properly I state that I don't believe Kenny and other players who were better than Meninga and Lockyer will ever get in. They have alot of obstacles in that they primarily have next to no media support. All the players being considered except for Norm Provan have prominent media roles.

Brett Kenny is not a media darling and never has been, so it makes it much more difficult for him. He has no role in the media or in coaching etc, so he is not still in the limelight as many former players are.

I don't think he was a better player than meninga..........they were different types of players but brilliant in their own way.

Kenny was a better player though than lockyer...........lockyer really isnt in the same class. To be considered an immortal, there can't be any weakness in their game and lockyer's weakness was his defence. He missed too many one on on tackles for mine and wasn't really a factor in defence and to me, that's not good enough for an immortal.
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,293

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post

another 30-0 performance coming up for the mighty penny poofters

Nostradamus, how you like them apples Chharge?

P.S. Fuck you Manly. Lose to the two shittest teams in the comp.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
why was cherry evans selected on the bench for Australia? If an outside back gets injured, is cherry evans going to play in the centres?

Brett Morris deserved a wing spot ahead of Boyd...........Morris has been one of the form backs of the competition.

I don't like Gallen at prop........Gallen should stay at lock, he is damaging on the fringes and that's where he should stay, don't fuck with his career like that
airconteka +

Times thanked
< 12,092
missus: tigers won by 30 points, why arent you happy?
me: means we are as shit as manly
Unspoilt by Progress
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

why was cherry evans selected on the bench for Australia? If an outside back gets injured, is cherry evans going to play in the centres?

This. He plays one position. He won't get picked for QLD so that tells you all you need to know.
Zodiac +

Times thanked
< 3,293
I bet he does get picked for QLD.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
i understand that they want to reward him, but i think it's taking the piss a bit by picking him.
airconteka +

Times thanked
< 12,092
they will pick him so nsw cant
Unspoilt by Progress
Zodiac +

Times thanked
< 3,293

Quote:

i understand that they want to reward him, but i think it's taking the piss a bit by picking him.

I agree... where the fuck is he going to play? Thurston/Cronk/Smith all dont need to come off for a break, he cant play in the forwards so hes just going to sit there and play the last 5-10mins where exactly? I think he should be 18th man and Gilllett on the bench but that would be too logical for the selectors.
Zodiac +

Times thanked
< 3,293
Also Tamou... fuck off you kiwi ****. At least Taumololololololololol did the right thing and made himself unavailable for QLD a few days ago by saying he was a kiwi.
airconteka +

Times thanked
< 12,092
Very brave, I'd rather be gay than Kiwi
Unspoilt by Progress
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234

Quote:

Brett Morris deserved a wing spot ahead of Boyd...........Morris has been one of the form backs of the competition.

I don't like Gallen at prop........Gallen should stay at lock, he is damaging on the fringes and that's where he should stay, don't fuck with his career like that

Maybe Hayne before Morris but Boyd definitely behind them. Gallen is easy to pick at prop when the cupboard is bare. Not his best position at all.
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234

Quote:

I bet he does get picked for QLD.

Where? On the bench? Why? You need 3 forwards and a utility on the bench and he isn't a utility. He's the 2nd best 7 in the comp but that's not enough.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,413

Quote:

Also Tamou... fuck off you kiwi ****. At least Taumololololololololol did the right thing and made himself unavailable for QLD a few days ago by saying he was a kiwi.

It's pretty fucked when he's already been in the train-on squad for the Kiwis- that should've made him ineligible, as by going into camp he'd pretty much stated his allegiance IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

moskate +

Times thanked
< 146
Where did Cooper Cronk play when he was picked for the Aussies & for QLD. What position does Cherry Evans play? Connect the dots....

Lol at Cherry Evans being the second best 7 in the comp too. He's good but he's had 1 full year in first grade & isn't playing all that great this year
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234
Hey monkey, what did you take out of today? Build on that? Bit loose in defence.
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234

Quote:

Originally Posted by moskate View Post

Lol at Cherry Evans being the second best 7 in the comp too. He's good but he's had 1 full year in first grade & isn't playing all that great this year

Right. Who would you have ahead of Cronk then him?

Edit- Thurston being a 6 now.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,413

Quote:

Hey monkey, what did you take out of today? Build on that? Bit loose in defence.

Showed enough to think the season isn't a write-off yet, agreed the defence was a bit loose but attitude and ball handling were 100x better than the last few weeks and our attack was on song, both Johnson and Maloney played really well. I'm actually looking forward to the Storm on Anzac day now, I still wouldn't bet on us but we do tend to go pretty well down here and if we turn up we'll make a game of it at the least.

Quote:

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234
I think you have points in you and as a fan of a side that hasn't scored for 160 mins I am jelly. The new coach hasn't stifled that spirit of adventure at all, prob just push the odd pass.

What to do with Inu though, rocks and diamonds every week, edge of the seat stuff every time he gets near the football. Johnson still finding his feet I think. Such a talent, wonder if rep football will give him a boost. Deserves it with Foran out.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,413
Inu is Inu... more diamonds than rocks this week, but you get why he doesn't get selected, he just looks like he cbf some of the time. Our defence will improve with Locke back, Ropati did a good job filling in at FB but his positioning wasn't perfect, at least one of Souths tries wouldn't have been scored with Locke on the field. Loved JRo's kick returns though, he really ran it up hard. We've also got Michael Luck and Bull Lilyman to come back too which should improve our defence and go-forward more.

Quote:

Quote:

Abziie +

Times thanked
< 59

Quote:

DCE played very well last year, but he hasn't really proved anything.

I would definitely put Scott Prince ahead of him.

I'd probably say there are at least 2 maybe up to 4 other halfbacks who could have arguably matched his performance if they were running on for Manly 2011.
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abziie View Post

DCE played very well last year, but he hasn't really proved anything.

I would definitely put Scott Prince ahead of him.

I'd probably say there are at least 2 maybe up to 4 other halfbacks who could have arguably matched his performance if they were running on for Manly 2011.

With all due respect, Prince has produced his first decent game for 2 seasons and regardless he's behind DCE. Who are these other 7's? Love their names, we could use them for NSW.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,413
Was a little surprised Maloney didn't even get picked for City-Country. Not too gutted though given that we have 5 players who have to back up against the Storm 3 days after CvsC and the test as it is.

Quote:

Quote:

b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234
Maloney had to be picked
b_bop +

Times thanked
< 234
A 6 that can pass, kick and hit holes. What more do we want?
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,992
Hayne at 5/8?

what sort of madness is this

all signs point to Buderus being blues hooker...
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
BigGroovyFcuker +

Gurnstroker

Times thanked
< 2,250

Quote:

isn't playing all that great? i hate manly and queensland but have you been watching any footy this season?

kid opened the season with b2b MOM performances, and although they've been shite the last few weeks, DCE just took control in the absence of foran and lyon last week (not to mention the stewarts)

he is a world class half with solid defense. you think he won't be able to handle a little time in the backs if called upon?

sidebar: some of the selections in the rep teams are wack

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post

ITM is, as far as I can see, the institute of trolls and memes. Alas and alack---it's time for my evening meal.

Infringing on copyrights since 1999

ITM 2012 NRL SC Champion
moskate +

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

When I made the comment I definately was referring to Thurston too. Taking him away, on current form Wallace would be ahead of him. The point I was trying to make was 1 great season doesn't make u the second best hb in the game, particularly as a rookie. The bloke is quality, you'll get no objections from me there. But I'd like to see where he is in 2-3 years time before passing judgement
_nick_ +

Times thanked
< 184
Just glad to get a win especially with Robbie going down early.

Quote:

Originally Posted by airconteka View Post

Woods is going to be a champion

The one massive bright spot of our season so far has been Woods. He just gets better and better each week.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
some interesting selections in city v country. I'm glad that lachlan coote finally got a run........he has been in great form the last few seasons in a very poor Penrith side.

Interesting that Hayne is being considered by Stuart for 5/8. I can't understand why Kearney doesn't shift Hayne to 5/8 permanantly.........the more Hayne touches the ball the better off Paramatta are.

The country pack looks dominant..........very strong. Learoyd lahrs must be sucking selectors dicks, i don't know how he keeps getting himself into representative contention every year when he plays with little heart for Canberra each week.
BigGroovyFcuker +

Gurnstroker

Times thanked
< 2,250

Quote:

When I made the comment I definately was referring to Thurston too. Taking him away, on current form Wallace would be ahead of him. The point I was trying to make was 1 great season doesn't make u the second best hb in the game, particularly as a rookie. The bloke is quality, you'll get no objections from me there. But I'd like to see where he is in 2-3 years time before passing judgement

form has always had a greater bearing on test selection compared to origin, and you cannot ignore the form he's been in. one season doesn't make anything but if you've been one of the best 17 players in the comp than why shouldn't he get a gurnsey? there have certainly been more outside bolters included before.. idris anyone? dunno how sheensy thought taylor was worthy of making the run on side though

Quote:

ITM is, as far as I can see, the institute of trolls and memes. Alas and alack---it's time for my evening meal.

ITM 2012 NRL SC Champion
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,992

Quote:

Learoyd lahrs must be sucking selectors dicks, i don't know how he keeps getting himself into representative contention every year when he plays with little heart for Canberra each week.

Coach: Laurie Daley
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGroovyFcuker View Post

form has always had a greater bearing on test selection compared to origin, and you cannot ignore the form he's been in. one season doesn't make anything but if you've been one of the best 17 players in the comp than why shouldn't he get a gurnsey? there have certainly been more outside bolters included before.. idris anyone? dunno how sheensy thought taylor was worthy of making the run on side though

David Taylor has been playing great football though and deserves to be there IMO. I thought Hanant should have been in the run on side........Shillington hasn't done enough.
Abziie +

Times thanked
< 59

Quote:

With all due respect, Prince has produced his first decent game for 2 seasons and regardless he's behind DCE. Who are these other 7's? Love their names, we could use them for NSW.

Prince doesnt come into many peoples calculations because he is a victim of his circumstance. If you put Prince into any top team, he would deliver in spades. On the weekend he's shown that he's still got it when things click.

I'd call Thurston, Cronk and Prince top shelf, proven, halfbacks.

I'd say Johnson , Sandow (pre-fat 2011 Sandow), Wallace, Pearce could have arguably put in the same quality performance that DCE put in if they were instead playing for the 2011 Manly team.
Abziie +

Times thanked
< 59

Quote:

some interesting selections in city v country. I'm glad that lachlan coote finally got a run........he has been in great form the last few seasons in a very poor Penrith side.

Interesting that Hayne is being considered by Stuart for 5/8. I can't understand why Kearney doesn't shift Hayne to 5/8 permanantly.........the more Hayne touches the ball the better off Paramatta are.

The country pack looks dominant..........very strong. Learoyd lahrs must be sucking selectors dicks, i don't know how he keeps getting himself into representative contention every year when he plays with little heart for Canberra each week.

In attack he plays 5/8 anyway. We've got Ben Roberts playing in 5/8 and he is doing very well imo.

In the games Hayne has played this season, he has touched the ball at least 3 times a set. Its great to watch, he plays 1st or 2nd receiver and then in the very next play you might just as easily see him at the end of a bomb.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

In attack he plays 5/8 anyway. We've got Ben Roberts playing in 5/8 and he is doing very well imo.

In the games Hayne has played this season, he has touched the ball at least 3 times a set. Its great to watch, he plays 1st or 2nd receiver and then in the very next play you might just as easily see him at the end of a bomb.

Ben Roberts is one of the worst first graders running around. He is not a first grade 5/8 IMO. I have only watched Parramatta on telly, but i've seen four matches and he has been very average.
BigGroovyFcuker +

Gurnstroker

Times thanked
< 2,250

Quote:

David Taylor has been playing great football though and deserves to be there IMO. I thought Hanant should have been in the run on side........Shillington hasn't done enough.

yeah no denying he's been great for us in the absence of other leaders within the team, but he can still tend to get into unnecessary ball-playing for mine. in a test squad he won't be required to do any of that, just run and tackle hard. i agree re: shillo but he's only filling in for scott's starting spot. i'm not sure if birdy was considered due to injury, but he tore up manly on the weekend and should be a walk up starter imo

Quote:

ITM 2012 NRL SC Champion
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

I'd say Johnson , Sandow (pre-fat 2011 Sandow), Wallace, Pearce could have arguably put in the same quality performance that DCE put in if they were instead playing for the 2011 Manly team.

i disagree.........Cherry Evans is a classic halfback. He makes the right decision 9/10 times, controls the attack beautifully and has the best ball playing ability of any haflback in the competition, Cronk included. I think he is streets ahead of Wallace, Pearce and sandow. He is a pure footballer and they don't come around too often.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGroovyFcuker View Post

yeah no denying he's been great for us in the absence of other leaders within the team, but he can still tend to get into unnecessary ball-playing for mine. in a test squad he won't be required to do any of that, just run and tackle hard. i agree re: shillo but he's only filling in for scott's starting spot. i'm not sure if birdy was considered due to injury, but he tore up manly on the weekend and should be a walk up starter imo

in this day and age of robots playing the game, i love seeing big guys ball playing. He has to be a ball player.........it would be a waste having a guy that big continually busting tackles and not have a passing game. I love forwards who think like footballers.
DJ_PK +

Regulator

Times thanked
< 222

Quote:

Hasn't that experiment failed miserably many times for Parramatta?
Chharge +

Summer is coming

Times thanked
< 1,924

Quote:

Nostradamus, how you like them apples Chharge?

P.S. Fuck you Manly. Lose to the two shittest teams in the comp.

the only thing that made the loss more bearable yesterday was knowing that the "fortress" was run over by a dying team.

but little consolation. The Panthers were horrific, granted we are 8 players down, but it was a comedy of errors, my favourite one was when we bombed a certain try, in trying to improve the kicking position. Brilliant !!

That will be the last game I attend until Gordon is back in Round 11.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

Any sex enthusiast should whore it up at least once in their life IMO,
Its the oldest profession in the world.
Are you calling everyone wrong?.

buffed +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_PK View Post

Hasn't that experiment failed miserably many times for Parramatta?

He needs time to adapt.........Parramatta's season is over, so they should use the rest of the season to get him to adapt. He has all the skills required, but i'm not sure Kearney is the right coach for the job. Ben Roberts is a waste of time........he had three years at canterbury to prove himself and he has done nothing
Chharge +

Summer is coming

Times thanked
< 1,924
now its the Panthers turn to lose 5 in a row, only 2 more to go!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

Any sex enthusiast should whore it up at least once in their life IMO,
Its the oldest profession in the world.
Are you calling everyone wrong?.

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,413
Just glad the wazzas pulled finger against Souffs, or we'd be staring at a 5 streak too considering we've got the storm and broncos next.
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »