General

Wedding // engagement invitation ettiquette

Page 3 of 3
  Tools
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,589
If the person at the wedding you know is the groom, I always think it is amusing to make the present something the wife will hate, like an angle grinder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Eros le Tardfack +

lol at teh you

Times thanked
< 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by hussy

I mean, seriously, you expect your family/friends to pay for an engagement present, then a wedding present, then no doubt one day you'll have a baby shower, then perhaps a christening etc (repeat the last 2 with every kid you have)...it's a bit much, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungryHippo

Thanks love!!! we have already ordered our invites - but i will keep you in consideration for the wedding or babys naming day!

1) get knocked up
2) invent baby related celebrations
3) profit

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidgetgod

hey there i set a fourm up to post links too songs of fidget house message me for the link

i need moderators admins and just plain members ill trust onley some people to be admins and mods so please join my forum mutch appereciated fidget god

lexah +

I'm IT

Times thanked
< 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylva Mivva

oh fuck yeah.
and maybe a musical lasy susan.

I was unpacking my boxes to go through and sort out what to keep and ditch when I move and you know what I found? a MUSICAL FRUIT BOWL

hells yeah

No it wasn't a wedding/engagement present and I forget where the fuck it came from but its AWESOME

now i wish i wasn't moving so i could use it

ps fuck poems. just because it rhymes doesn't make it good. it makes it shit. shitter than shit.
Msraver +

Chasing the sun...

Times thanked
< 2
Just about everyone asks for money or gift vouchers these days, it's fine. I'm getting married in a few weeks, we sent our invites out last week. We don't want more crap for the house because we've got it all already. I've still got unusued stuff from my first marriage, I'm sure, lol.

Deciding what to put on the invites re gifts nearly drove us mad last week. Just word it nicely and tell 'em what you want. As a guest, I know I'd prefer to give people something they'd really love, want or could use... Seeing we've pulled this all together quite quickly, we could best do with $$$ for the honeymoon.

A good friend of mine got married a while back and they requsted contributions to their bridal registry at Flight Centre. Great idea, I didn't have a problem with it.
Astride my horse I soar. He trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. He is pure air and fire; the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him. His neigh is the bidding of a monarch, and his countenance enforces homage.
central_smurf +

Times thanked
< 9
nismor31 and i are working on this too at the moment as we are getting married in may.

we didnt say anything about gifts for the engagement. we didnt want anything and i also didnt want to presume ppl would bring them, even though our guests did, so we just left any mention of gifts completely off the invites.

rob and i are currently living together at my parents so we dont have a lot of things of our own, besides a few things that were robs before he moved in.

because of this we are having a registry.. 2 of them actually. we are having one at dj's and another at top 3 by design. ive been told by a few ppl to make sure you include a few exy items so that if friends want to pool together they can.

i persnally dont like wishing wells, but i think if you specifically want vouchers to bunnings your guests will appreciate you letting the know.
ultim8DTM5 +

Times thanked
< 9
Wishing Wells are tacky and I resent them.

My cousin had one at his wedding because the dragon he was marrying (married once before with a 16yr old and 14yr old) thought it'd be a great idea for a cash grab...so I got him a lump of crystal for an imaginary mantlepiece.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvaside

and if it wasn't for cdj's this would have never happened

Msraver +

Chasing the sun...

Times thanked
< 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by central_smurf

nismor31 and i are working on this too at the moment as we are getting married in may.

we didnt say anything about gifts for the engagement. we didnt want anything and i also didnt want to presume ppl would bring them, even though our guests did, so we just left any mention of gifts completely off the invites.

Marrying each other? Either way, congrats

In the end we actually wrote "No gifts" on our invites, because we just couldn't agree on it and the invites had to go out. We are older and already set up with our own house so we were happy with this. But, people have been approaching us and insisting they want to buy us something anyway, so that's when we've said our next financial priority is the honeymoon - which we're not having for some months. It's awkward, no matter what you do. There are one or two small things I'd still like for the house, but we already have vases, towels etc to last a lifetime.
Astride my horse I soar. He trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. He is pure air and fire; the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him. His neigh is the bidding of a monarch, and his countenance enforces homage.
delicious demon +

autumn acid

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultim8DTM5

Wishing Wells are tacky and I resent them

i agree
devlon +

Times thanked
< 3
Invitations for your wedding is the only first impression on your closed ones. So if you are inviting verbally to your loved ones, Just use loving words. Wedding invitation wordings should give them love & respect for attending the ceremony
Wedding Invitations
Scroll Invitations
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,387
Eggzacry.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,420
My cat's breath smells like cat food
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
wedding = cash ok

engagement = be happy with what you get
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
Agree that asking for money is tacky. If you are going to do it, fine, but at least present it as what it is and don't try and cutesy it up with some ridiculous poem. In particular, poems that say, "we have everything we need but you can give us money". If you have everything you need, why are you asking for money? Tell them to give it to a charity.
Jackie Kennedy would not have camel toe!
ravelikespastic +

Times thanked
< 1,273

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

wedding = cash ok

engagement = be happy with what you get

agreed, the most recent wedding I went to, we gave them cash, they asked for it but we were going to give them cash anyway.
Engagements - you should be happy with me turning up.
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
wedding= toaster/iron etc

engagement=drink in my company
breaks_tuff +

I'm out!

Times thanked
< 5
It's so fucking lame when people write poems on their invites. Why do people all of a sudden become poets when they get engaged? Unless you're actually a poet, don't write a fucking poem.

It's not hard to have a gift registry and the option of simply writing on a card and giving whatever they want to (cash/nothing/gift card) in it. That way the guest has the option of whatever they want to do. Wishing wells are tacky and lame - why does there need to be a well? Just have a gift/card table and be done with it......

Quote:

Originally Posted by dleklas

breaks_tuff is my new favourite ITMer (feel free to put that in your sig).

For his musical taste that is...

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,267

Quote:

Originally Posted by breaks_tuff View Post

It's not hard to have a gift registry

The thing is though, people used to get married at 19/20, people were "virgins" or at the very least, still living at home with Mom and Pop, so once they were wed, they were moving out and setting up their first house with their new partner...that's why the tradition of a registry and all manner of assorted household items on the list, because they plum didn't have any of them

Nowdays people are marrying a lot older, fuck all people are still at home, most have been living with their partner for years as is, they don't need the household crap anymore...the wishing well's are so they can get money and actually do something they want with it/put towards the honeymoon.

Times change, traditions change, deal with it :sunglasses:
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
Page 3 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »