Current Affairs and Politics

The trouble with Julia.

Tools
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,203
good to see her lack of political judgement continues
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
weekender +

Times thanked
< 501
She's not helping herself, is she?
"Old enough to know better"
moojins +

Times thanked
< 225

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vote Quimby View Post

So after denying that Bob Carr would be offered the position of Foreign Affairs Minister, Juliar turns around and names him.

Fuck she is hopeless.

When did she deny it? [Legit question, I don't know if she did or not]

Do you hate Bob Carr or something?
Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 1,003
she's gotta be on her rags
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,203
mclelland considering retiring. If they lose a seat that wont be enough to change it though
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

So after denying that Bob Carr would be offered the position of Foreign Affairs Minister, Juliar turns around and names him.

Fuck she is hopeless.

Show me where it says she denied Bob Carr would be offered that role.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,203
he did
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...229-1u33k.html
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by moojins View Post

When did she deny it? [Legit question, I don't know if she did or not]

As far as I know, she refuted the content of a story the Australian ran. I think she refuted that she had withdrawn the offer.

And for all those who don't how journalists work:

Journalist: "Some are saying you are a Nazi." ('Some' is code for I'm making this up and attributing it a nebulous anonymous collective)

Hapless Soul: "I am not a Nazi."

Newspaper headline: " Hapless Soul denies being a Nazi."
Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 1,003
I think this has been blown out of proportion.

Didn't she deny making an offer? She never denied speaking to him about the job...

2 very different things! Let her fucking hire whoever, and however the fuck she wants.

Media/Coalition beat up IMO.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760
And at that stage it was most probably true.
austraboy +

I like toast

Times thanked
< 146
"Prime Minister Gillard had definitely not made any offer about the foreign affairs ministry nor had any one on her behalf," Mr Carr said in a statement on Wednesday.

Today is Friday
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portal View Post

I think this has been blown out of proportion.

Didn't she deny making an offer? She never denied speaking to him about the job...

2 very different things! Let her fucking hire whoever, and however the fuck she wants.

Media/Coalition beat up IMO.

Exactly. it's fascinating to see how easily people get sucked into this.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,475
We just need a way to turn indignant raging into electricity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Times thanked
< 1,990

Quote:

Originally Posted by moojins View Post

you must not live in NSW. Carr is the ass clown that lead NSW down the shit hole it's stuck in.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
lol @ the defence of Gillard going on here. You guys might get an invite to her 10 man bukkake the way you're going
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,475
Hey buffed

Quote:

austraboy +

I like toast

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed View Post

lol @ the defence of Gillard going on here. You guys might get an invite to her 10 man bukkake the way you're going

silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,535
Homereatingpopcorn.jpg
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 269
Olay! Carr's appointment as Foreign Affairs Minister might actually make me vote ALP for the first time in my life.

He’s probably the best man in the country for the position.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106
Got to love the "egg on face" over at the Australian with the number of articles claiming Gillard had lost all authority by having the Carr senate spot blocked by caucus. I wont hold my breath for the wave of articles claiming Gillard authority has now been established!
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375

...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 269

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowkeyandnude View Post

Got to love the "egg on face" over at the Australian with the number of articles claiming Gillard had lost all authority by having the Carr senate spot blocked by caucus. I wont hold my breath for the wave of articles claiming Gillard authority has now been established!

No I wouldn’t either because they are now saying the “faceless men” smacked down Stephen Smith and his backers and want Carr as an insurance policy in case Gillard’s poll numbers get worse. Australian journalism is reminding me of Fox News. Invent a story based on a thought bubble and rumours, pass it off as fact, then when it blows up in their face invent another even more devious story to cover themselves and keep people interested in the unfolding drama.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
custaro +

Thirsty Critter

Times thanked
< 682

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

Olay! Carr's appointment as Foreign Affairs Minister might actually make me vote ALP for the first time in my life.

you're in my hut now

Last edited by custaro: 02-Mar-12 at 02:47pm

buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
if you can ruin a state and be awarded a federal seat and a cabinet position, would a murderer be entitled to at least a backbench position?
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,475

Quote:

if you can ruin a state and be awarded a federal seat and a cabinet position, would a murderer be entitled to at least a backbench position?

Quote:

gravyishot +

this stupid facebook bar at the bottom is for ****s

Times thanked
< 806

Quote:

He’s probably the best man in the country for the position.

Indeed. Sad that he's immediately one of the most talented members of the government, though.
weekender +

Times thanked
< 501
Doesn't it say a lot about both Carr and Gillard? Carr says he doesn't want the job and then accepts. Gillard hears he doesn't want the job, but still goes and offers it to him (and maybe twists his arm).

Carr was probably a bit daft ruling it out so quickly and will probably give the job a good go. Still, not clever though
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,475
It's par for the course, doesn't matter if its a football manager or a new CEO, people are rarely seen campaigning for the position in the media in advance and the ones who are, rarely get appointed.

Nope, won't happen, very happy where I am... BAM, in.

Quote:

Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 1,003

Quote:

they would never pass the police check dude
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravyishot View Post

Indeed. Sad that he's immediately one of the most talented members of the government, though.

like he wouldnt be if he joined the coalition who have Hockey as shadow treasurer?
studio stuff for sale

...latest releases...

trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 269

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravyishot View Post

True, but on the otherhand Carr would be one of the most talented members of any Government. The key is to get him doing something he has a passion for…..like foreign affairs. imo he is a significant step up from Rudd, and has a deeper intellectual basis than any of his peers.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,475
With Faulkner and Tanner gone it will be good to have someone in cabinet who can string a cogent sentence together.

Quote:

Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Times thanked
< 1,990
honest question here, for all those who think highly of Carr, do you actually live in NSW? Or did you live here during his reign of "let's let the state slide into oblivion"?
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,475
I'm waiting for the Westminster system to give way to the sporting model. Prime minister? fuck no, we've got a leadership group. We're expecting big things this year from the governing group as a whole. The treasury and finance unit have really stepped up, but a week is a long time in government. So we're just going to take it one question at a time.

Quote:

JustinJ +

It was a good speech. Didn't want to interrupt.

Times thanked
< 3,525

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowkeyandnude View Post

Quote:

No I wouldn’t either because they are now saying the “faceless men” smacked down Stephen Smith and his backers and want Carr as an insurance policy in case Gillard’s poll numbers get worse. Australian journalism is reminding me of Fox News. Invent a story based on a thought bubble and rumours, pass it off as fact, then when it blows up in their face invent another even more devious story to cover themselves and keep people interested in the unfolding drama.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...302-1u7f3.html

Quote:

Prime Minister Julie Gillard has turned disaster into a stunning victory and, in doing so, has reasserted the authority the Labor Party renewed in her only on Monday.

:facepalm:
horst +

Times thanked
< 414

Quote:

honest question here, for all those who think highly of Carr, do you actually live in NSW? Or did you live here during his reign of "let's let the state slide into oblivion"?

describe this oblivion you speak of, it's intriguing
weekender +

Times thanked
< 501

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

It's par for the course, doesn't matter if its a football manager or a new CEO, people are rarely seen campaigning for the position in the media in advance and the ones who are, rarely get appointed.

Nope, won't happen, very happy where I am... BAM, in.

Aye, but the context and timing of this is a bit different, in my own view.
gravyishot +

this stupid facebook bar at the bottom is for ****s

Times thanked
< 806

Quote:

True, but on the otherhand Carr would be one of the most talented members of any Government. The key is to get him doing something he has a passion for…..like foreign affairs. imo he is a significant step up from Rudd, and has a deeper intellectual basis than any of his peers.

I think had he stepped in to the Hawke cabinet days he'd be further down the ranks. A Liberal person might say that about Howard's as well - I can't bring myself to though.

He's probably number one or two in the current cabinet. Can't think of many better.
trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 269

Quote:

Mate, I’m a Sydney boy and have held a strong anti-Labor bias my entire life. I lived through all of Carr’s ups and downs as Premier and before that as Planning Minister, and hated the former NSW Labor Government as much as anybody……………..but I know talent and intellect when I see it. Bob Carr may have done a largely poor job as Premier, but he is perfectly suited to Foreign Affairs. If you can’t see that you haven’t been paying enough attention, or your political blinkers aren’t removable like mine are.

Even Barry O'Farrell agrees with me:

Quote:

"Whatever else people might say about Bob Carr's appointment, no-one can deny his depth of knowledge of the portfolio"

Interestingly, because Carr is taking a casual vacancy in the Australian Senate, the Constitution requires it to be filled by a member of the respective State Parliament. As such, O'Farrell has to give his support for Carr to become a member of the NSW Legislative Council before Carr can become a member of the Australian Senate, and then officially appointed as Foreign Affairs Minister. O’Farrell has already given his support.

Last edited by trist: 02-Mar-12 at 04:39pm

trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 269
Turn on 2GB. Read The Australian.
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106

Quote:

I grew up in Sydney...

During Carr’s 10 years as Premier net debt was reduced from 7.4 percent of gross state product to zero.

He pioneered private public partnerships to fund additional infrastructure, creating a model followed in other states. Five new projects delivered Sydney a ring road system: M5 Extension, Eastern Distributor, M7 Westlink, Lane Cove Tunnel, Cross City Tunnel. These roads had a total value of $5.4 billion. All but $800 million was contributed by the private sector.

This is in marked contrast to the infrastructure record of his predecessors in the Greiner/Fahey government, who in building the M4, M5 and M2 toll roads and the Anzac bridge left the government with $10 billion of debt – paid off over Carr’s term.

buffed would approve

The North Side Sewage Tunnel, funded by the government in its first term, stopped more than 20 billion litres of sewage reaching Sydney harbour. In 1994 there were 328 national parks covering four million hectares of NSW, by 2006 there were 770 national parks covering 6.6 million hectares . He stopped logging in the Brigalow belt. The curbs on the clearing of nature vegetation were counted as a serious anti-greenhouse gas measure, helping Australia achieve its Kyoto targets. In addition, in January 2003 the Carr government launched the world’s first greenhouse gas trading scheme, the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Scheme, which set a limit on carbon emissions by electricity retailers. It was listed by the World Bank as the world’s first carbon trading scheme.

So pass marks on green issues.

He introduced Australia’s first medically supervised injecting room for heroin users.

Premier Neville Wran described Carr as "the very model of a modern Labor premier, an articulate and powerful public performer who identified himself with the contemporary policy issues of education and the environment."

Name a better premier? [apart from Neville Wran ]
studio stuff for sale

...latest releases...

dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,753
Don Dunstan
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,074
Carr is certainly hitting the press this weekend, sounding very much like a Labor.... leader...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

Carr is certainly hitting the press this weekend, sounding very much like a Labor.... leader...

This is a bit out there and probably not a lex parsimoniae notion, but I'm beginning to wonder how much of all of this was orchestrated.
baax +

Times thanked
< 623
Go Joe!

Media Player
18apr12 Joe Hildebrand Fires Up again on Paul Murray Live - YouTube

I have a hard time believing anything that comes out of Gillard's mouth so I'll side with Hildebrand on this.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,991
side with him on what?

Gillard is saying a 3 year old story is old and rehashed

he's saying a 3 year old rehashed story still deserves to be front page news. but OMG LOL he got so angry.

PS I just want to say I think it's great that Sky News is giving so many jobs to the mentally handicapped
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
baax +

Times thanked
< 623
The decision to knife Rudd was in the bag, it had nothing to do with his failure on the first go at the mining tax.
I reckon it makes Gillards claim she was only on board with knifing Rudd a couple of days before it happened rubbish as well.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 1,991
I wouldn't dispute that, Rudd was knifed because Cabinet felt he was impossible to work with

but what's done is done, everyone (News Ltd) needs to get the fuck over it
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 1,003
Media Player
i'm red, he's always cross.mp4 - YouTube

Gold, the look on Abbotts face is priceless.

You have my vote now Julia
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 96
Filthy commie.
Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 1,003
he is isn't he...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »