General

need to suit up...

Tools
stargazer +

Ooooeeeeoooo

Times thanked
< 813
need to suit up...
So I need to buy a suit, and having been in either IT or university my whole life this will pretty much be the first suit I have ever bought (and I'm in my 30's)... I kinda want it to be an all round suit, something I can wear to interviews that are coming up in a couple of months, but also all the weddings that I can't wear my kilt for...

I have nfi about colour, style, brand, etc so any help would be appreciated...

other questions include, should I rock a waistcoat? is there anyway to grab a 60's style suit al a mad men?

whats a good price for a decent suit that'll last me a few years? do I want full wool or is that too hot for sydney?

help me ITM, you're my only hope...
RIP SGU
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,454
Definitely go full wool. Wool is no hotter or heavier than other fabrics, plus it's more comfortable, breathes, and doesn't get smelly. Synthetic suits are for vacuum cleaner salesmen and Indian landlords.
You don't NEED a waistcoat (they are kinda cool though)

The best general advice in your situation is to keep it simple and conservative, I've got a black single breasted 3-button Pierre Cardin wool suit that I got maybe 8 years ago and while I'm sure it's not the height of sartorial fashion these days it still won't get me arrested by the style police.

Last edited by SpaceMonkey: 29-Mar-12 at 11:48am

big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,986
If you are only going to rock one suit, charcoal 2 button and a fairly classic cut are your best options, if you are a fat **** you may look a bit better in a pin/chalk stripe though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

stargazer +

Ooooeeeeoooo

Times thanked
< 813
thanks for the advice guys... eddie, charcoal is what my dad mentioned too, not a fat **** thank god, still a size 32 waist, though with they way I have been stress eating in the last couple of months I could be heading there

Spacemonkey, awesome, will go a wool suit for sure
RIP SGU
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,454

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

If you are only going to rock one suit, charcoal 2 button and a fairly classic cut are your best options, if you are a fat **** you may look a bit better in a pin/chalk stripe though.

Agree on the colour, if I was buying mine again I'd go charcoal (I actually had a charcoal suit as well but it was a cheapie I got in Asia and I gave it away). Black is still acceptable but can look a tad over-formal. Agree on the buttons too, 2 seems to be the go-to option these days but either 2 or 3 button suits seem to age pretty well. Just avoid more out there stuff, might look awesome now but in a few years you'll look like that seedy uncle at a family wedding who still wears the suit he bought in 1983.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,317
There's a Hugo Boss outlet store in Melbourne, Preston to be precise...not sure exactly what they stock tho, give 'em a call

Address: 6 Albert Street, Preston

Phone: 9474 6370

Details: Mon to Fri 10am to 6pm, Sat 10am to 4pm, Sun 12am to 5pm
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,693
Black is fine if you can't find a decent charcoal. Just make sure the charcoal is dark and not a light colour. Light grey shades are ok for weddings but not really formal enough for interviews. Don't go 3 button. They go in and out of fashion, plus you have to have a very specific build to pull one off. Only tall and well built men get away with 3 buttons. Short guys look horrendous in one as it makes them look shorter and skinny guys look like they are a child wearing an adults suit.

Wool for sure, as has been mentioned. I try and buy Super 120s for that particular type. Super 110 is fine if you can't find a decent 120. The thread count isn't fine enough on a Super 100 so I'd avoid it. Don't go over 120 as the suit becomes too frail then and won't last if you wear it too much. Reserve 140 and above for the time that you spend thousands on an epic black or midnight blue suit that you wear once, maybe twice a year and the odd super important business meeting or interview (most people have no need in other words )

DO NOT EVER DO UP THE BOTTOM BUTTON. I repeat... NEVER DO THE BOTTOM BUTTON.

Ahem, sorry. That one really shits me. Also undo your jacket when you sit down unless you're reading the news.

Don't dryclean more than a few times a year. That ruins the fabric and will make a suit last 2, 3 years tops. Get the drycleaner to "press" it instead. If it's stained, then of course you dryclean it and make sure they spot clean it. Also always dryclean/press the top and bottom together, so they stay the same colour.

Go have a look at the Pierre Cardin as SM mentioned. They do pants and jackets separate so you can mix and match. I've got two that I wear for work, excellent value. They also have the natural Euro cut that tapers in at the waist and the sleeves are cut higher. Never get a classic boxy cut, it's the worst look ever. You suit jacket must be comfortable but form fitting, unless you want to look like a poorly dressed American with a suit 3 sizes too big.
If you get a PC from Myer, they are doing some free alterations now too so you can get the pants brought in and perhaps the jacket if you need a more slim fit.

Waistcoat? Nah, don't worry about it. It's a nice look but a good three piece is tough to find off the rack that won't cost you the same as a small home loan.
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,693
Actually you know what, I completely forgot about two awesome websites. Gentlemen, I want you all to read and bookmark both of these:

http://www.atailoredsuit.com/mens-st...ored-suit.html
http://www.blacktieguide.com/index.html

Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,318
Fledz advice is pointless with out evidence of him practicing what he preaches.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,576
Agreed, cough up the goods Fledz.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

Yergg +

I am a **** ALL the time

Times thanked
< 2,594
I have my suspicions that Fledz shops for his suits at lowes.
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,693
I'm not posting pictures of myself you bastards
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,318
I need pics so i know which wanker to avoid when I'm out shopping for clothes.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,454
Jesus christ, whats with the the next level ****ishness going on round here at the moment? Any time someone tries to give helpful advice they get crucified for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,693
The thing about a black suit is if you wear it too much, you'll see it noticeably fade. No matter how good the fabric is, a black suit will show its age much quicker than a charcoal. That's why I tend to recommend a first suit in that thought black is also ok if someone insists. Something to keep in mind
I'm not sure where you guys are getting this '3 button' stuff from though, it's not fashionable because so few people can pull it off. Single breasted 2 button has always been, still is and always will be the default, safest and most timeless option. One button and three button have specific purposes and shift with fashion styles, but a two button goes back to the dawn of time.

SpaceMonkey - It's ok, everyone is joking around. I don't think anyone is taking any offence
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,576
Well we haven't seen pics yet, so my offence is reserved.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,693
Your potential offence is noted and filed.
hatzornotahat +

Field Marshal

Times thanked
< 27
I thought this thread was gonna be about condoms.
Vae, puto deus fio!
stargazer +

Ooooeeeeoooo

Times thanked
< 813
well, I only had last night to look, and ended up going with a one button suit since it was reduced a lot, but damn, I feel like I should grow up, 'cause suits are cool, and they all look great.
RIP SGU
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,317
Fledz deft sounds like he knows his shit when it comes to suits!

I really wouldn't have a clue, this is my idea of a cool suit:

Far from practical or good for most standard interview situations!

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazer View Post

well, I only had last night to look, and ended up going with a one button suit since it was reduced a lot, but damn, I feel like I should grow up, 'cause suits are cool, and they all look great.

Hmmm, don't wnat to give you buyer's remorse, but one button is good if you are butying a dinner suit, but not so much for a business suit.

Fledz gives excellent advice (there is a name for a man who does up all the buttons of his suit jacket, and it is, "the accused") - i would add to that the advice that if you are going to be wearing the suit regularly, always get two pairs of trousers, because the trousers wear much more quickly than the jacket.

Also, you should find the external breast pocket and pockets are stitched closed - that stitching is made to be unstitched and you should do so. If if the back vents are stitched at the end of the suit, for goodness' sake undo that stitching.
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

Hmmm, don't wnat to give you buyer's remorse, but one button is good if you are butying a dinner suit, but not so much for a business suit.

Fledz gives excellent advice (there is a name for a man who does up all the buttons of his suit jacket, and it is, "the accused") - i would add to that the advice that if you are going to be wearing the suit regularly, always get two pairs of trousers, because the trousers wear much more quickly than the jacket.

Also, you should find the external breast pocket and pockets are stitched closed - that stitching is made to be unstitched and you should do so. If if the back vents are stitched at the end of the suit, for goodness' sake undo that stitching.

I don't unstitch my pockets. It prevents me from putting stuff in them and keeps the suit in shape. The back vent though is a different story, lol.
EAD
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,317

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

The vent/breast pocket/internal pocket, yes, but I'd heard you shouldn't undo the side pockets as actually putting things in those pockets is a no no, it ruins the line of the suit and takes it all out of shape...so, if you're not putting things in them, leave them sewn shut, helps the jacket keep its shape/form

stargazer +

Ooooeeeeoooo

Times thanked
< 813
Fledz, your advice is awesome, and I am saving it for if/when I need to get a few if I go that direction in life...

LA, well actually one of the reasons I went with it (apart from the cost), was because it I can use it as dinner jacket/suit, put it with jeans for a smart casual look etc... but in any case, this should be suitable (haha) for the afternoon/ evening outdoor wedding on sat and I can look at getting a more appropriate suit for working later...

and I all over the stitching situation, like random said, I am not going to undo the side pockets just yet, will leave them till the suit is a bit older and I don't care so much
RIP SGU
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,588

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Dark/French Navy should always be the first option (this is what ze Tailor tells me anyway). Good for interviews, races, weddings anything.

Otherwise, Fledz knows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmondtigers

His father had a sex change when his mum wanted a kid.

He mutilated his vagina not long afterwards.

To this day it is still in bad shape.

legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

The vent/breast pocket/internal pocket, yes, but I'd heard you shouldn't undo the side pockets as actually putting things in those pockets is a no no, it ruins the line of the suit and takes it all out of shape...so, if you're not putting things in them, leave them sewn shut, helps the jacket keep its shape/form

Yeah, putting things like, say, apples, or frying pans, or pint glasses (or, Lord forbid, your hands) into your pockets will stretch the suit. Things like tickets and boarding passes, not so much. On jackets where you are not meant to unstitch the pocket, there is no pocket within the lining.
yani_s +

your world, my oyster

Times thanked
< 970
go to vinnies n get one, that way if some drunk burns it with his ciggie slash spills drink on it slash spews on you you can just wriggle out of it like a snake shedding it skin, throw it in the bin and not a single fuck will be given
Check out my newest tune, or dont. I wont know either way : http://soundcloud.com/damagec0ntrol/...night-original
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,693
I unstitch the back (I mean seriously, that one is a given!) and the pocket square once I actually put one in. If I don't plan to, I often just leave it done up. Side pockets, you should try and not put anything in there anyway so unstitching them or keeping them done up isn't really all that important.

You have at least two if not three pockets on the inside, use those.
A cool thing with PC suits is there's an extra small pocket in the right pants pocket for a phone, so it doesn't fly around.
Ben Hyde +

Times thanked
< 13
I'm all about the Ben Sherman suit. Nice cut and most of them have Jackets that can be worn with normal clothes as a kind semi-formal jacket. Get something charcoal with maybe some pin stripes.
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
< 643
I've learnt this morning that charcoal jacket doesn't go well with black pants
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
how much suit cost?

cheap one for weddings

want to look good, impress lady

ty
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,693
A decent one? There's sales everywhere. You can pick up something decent for less than $500 at Myer, potentially a lot less. Just make sure it's not a blend, 100% natural fibres (wool in this case).

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b View Post

I've learnt this morning that charcoal jacket doesn't go well with black pants

Hehe, other way around you should have had it. General rule is, dark on top, light on bottom.
This works with ties too where your tie should generally be darker than your shirt as it is "on top".

Charcoal may be too light though so not enough distinction. A grey suit pant would look better with a black jacket, the less stripes and patterns the better.
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
< 643
^^ my suit jacket cost me $25 during a liquidation sale. We had a last minute impulse suit and tie day today I'm not too worried

I did wear a light blue tie over a black shirt though
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,693
Your colour mismatching is going to give me an aneurysm
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

Your colour mismatching is going to give me an aneurysm

Reminds me of the movie 25th Hour:

Frank Slaughtery: You know, you're wearing a striped shirt with a striped tie, you know that, right?
Phelan: Yeah, I do it for the ladies.
Frank Slaughtery: Oh - the ladies ever tell you that you look like a fucking optical illusion?
Phelan: Yeah?
Frank Slaughtery: Go away, disappear... come on.
Phelan: I'm outta here.
larrisajones +

boring. thanks ITM

Times thanked
< 374
Geez you boys have a lot to consider on this topic ... what a mine field, i thought it was just girls that had to worry about clothes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andosound

Who needs Gossip Girl when we have the ITM forums

Quote:

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

nickalaz +

Times thanked
< 25
what are the rules for skinny ties?
wearable at an interview or is this a no-no?

not a fan of the normal fat ties.
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,693
There's like a million different widths of tie. There isn't just skinny and fat.
Skinny at an interview, what with a suit? Absolutely not.
Wide is out of fashion.

There's a very nice happy medium and you should have no issues finding such ties.

Technically the width of your tie should closely match the width of your suit jacket lapels, but that's getting pretty advanced there.
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
i ended up buying a $400 suit off the rack at Myers, it only lasted one wear. But i managed to track down all the pieces and now am just waiting for a friend to mail the jacket back (its 4 hrs away!)

all in all

gg
Spoiler:

Quote:

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

nickalaz +

Times thanked
< 25
Yeah with a suit. I'm not talking super skinny.

How about ~5-6cm at the tip?
Fledz +

Times thanked
< 5,693
5cm is pretty thin. I've got a few around there and they look pretty weird with a business suit but I am quite tall so it draws attention to it.

Peaker - One wear? What the fuck did you do in it?
Spoiler:
I'm not sure why I'm asking, I already know the answer
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,454
Skinny ties remind me of the kinda shit bogan kids wore to school formals in the early 90s.
psyv +

unexploring or shall we say re-exploring

Times thanked
< 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrisajones View Post

Geez you boys have a lot to consider on this topic ... what a mine field, i thought it was just girls that had to worry about clothes.

Oh the advice is identical for girls too.

@peaker... Walk into Zara, go to top floor, go to suit section. Tell them what you told us. Let us know how you go

And if all else fails, step into Vince Maloney & Co. and ask for a fitting. Those guys do more fittings and remeasurements than you can poke a stick at. My dad used to work there and all his suits still fit him even though he finished working there many many moons ago.

If you're just looking for a shirt, go to myer to the mens business shirts section. Choose the shirt you want. Take to fitting room right by there. Try on shirt. If it doesn't look good as soon as you put it on, ask whoever works there who is there for a recommendation.

Oh and Peaker, that means: I'm going to [this location/event] and I want to impress my [girlfriend/partner/significant other]. What would you recommend?

Suit shopping for n00bs is easy when you know how.
psyv +

Times thanked
< 132
Oh and why has there been no reference to Barney Stinson??? Bad itm, very bad

psyv +

Times thanked
< 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fledz View Post

5cm is pretty thin. I've got a few around there and they look pretty weird with a business suit but I am quite tall so it draws attention to it.

Peaker - One wear? What the fuck did you do in it?

Spoiler:
I'm not sure why I'm asking, I already know the answer

omg I haven't even read the rest of the thread but.........

And I think the more pertinent question is, what didn't he do in it :/
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
@ psyc - ty psyv but yeah, i just took my gf and she and some lady at myers picked out everything while i just stood there like an idiot @ fledz - formal party, turned into bender, sun came up, warm, suit off, siut forgotten
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic

Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,398
I hadnt even been to my semiformal, when someone asked me to their formal, so a very new experience. So many freaking options!! But I finally got a pierre cardin jacket/pants and a van heusen shirt.
@Skinny ties... i wore one but only because they suit me (ahahah) more than normal ties.
Skipped the post to crash... football tomorrow... ugh
Anyone in Brisbane, Myer in Queen Street Mall is mint. Plus 1 for them, especially Roberto.
psyv +

Times thanked
< 132
Ikr @peaker. Myer are very helpful when you know how to use them... Next stop? DJ's

Also lolololol everyone has had *at least* one of them!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »