Adelaide

TechPhonics presents: DERRICK MAY - Fri 20 April @ Electric Circus

All About:

All About

+Follow

Add Follows

Stay informed about your favourite artists and events. We'll email you whenever there is new events, news or content posted about your favourite things. Simply select those you want to be notified about View my Follows |  Follow Settings

• Derrick May
  • Devious
  • Matt Abstrax
Cancel Finish

Description:

This is a strictly limited capacity event – no more than 200 tickets to experience DERRICK MAY for three hours…

Tickets are on sale RIGHT NOW from www.venuetix.com.au and we highly recommend you get your ticket ASAP as this event will sell out.
Derrick May –...

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
JamRock +

Haus-Boat cruise with Ian Pooley - Good Friday! :)

Times thanked
< 218
TechPhonics presents: DERRICK MAY - Fri 20 April @ Electric Circus

TechPhonics very proudly presents an absolute icon of electronic music, Detroit techno legend and pioneer - get ready for a solid workout with the official ambassador of techno music – the one and only DERRICK MAY. This is a strictly limited capacity event - no more than 200 tickets to experience DERRICK MAY for three hours...

Tickets are on sale for $30 + fees from www.venuetix.com.au or direct from Matt Abstrax or Devious. We highly recommend you get your ticket ASAP as this event will sell out.

Derrick May - If one name crops up again and again in discussions of techno, it is that of Derrick "Mayday" May. Alongside Juan Atkins, Carl Craig and Kevin Saunderson, May is regarded as one of the kings of the Detroit sound. Inspired by Yello and Kraftwerk, he began to make electronic music with Atkins and Saunderson while studying with them at Belleville High, Detroit. Recording either as Mayday or Rhythim Is Rhythim (occasionally in conjunction with Carl Craig) and generally on his own Transmat Records label, he went on to carve out a new vein in dance music that synthesized the advances of the electro movement with the more challenging end of the House movement - a music that defined "techno".

Detroit Techno landlord and head of the internationally respected Transmat Records, Derrick May continues to move dancefloors with his no-nonsense Techno grooves. One third of the Belleville Three, this electronic legend arranges classic Detroit tracks in a timeless fashion: frantically beat-heavy yet soulfully warm. Nervous beats and breaks pound away at curvy synths and digital melodies that stand in the background of these vibesome grooves like an electric scalloped fence surrounding a celebrity's home. Confident rhythms charge at your chest through an invisible spiderweb of string samples holding your consciousness captive on the dancefloor.

Derrick May is one of the founding fathers of Detroit techno, a precursor of its many variants and particularly of acid house. His eastethic, skeletal, melancholy style gained him the nickname of "the Miles Davis of techno". He introduced both a psychological element and a futuristic vision in dance music. Utilising the familiar bass sounds with ever more complex beats, flange effects, twisting
chords and deep strings, May produced a catalogue of music that pushed the boundaries of what could be accomplished with electronic sound ever further apart. To many, the techno of Detroit is very much ingrained within the character and history of the City itself. A City that was isolated from the rest of America, with a downtown area in financial and architectural ruin, a deteriorating motor industry and the reputation of it being the 'murder capital' of America, Detroit, on the outset, seemed a desolate and empty place. In reality there was a spirit and soul there that lived on in the City's urban communities from its glory days and its great musical heritage. This mixture of coldness and warmth, desolation and soul, was perfectly represented by May's Techno experiments.

Join us for a very special night with this iconic figure of the electronic music world, and a firm Adelaide favourite who last visited our City in 2007, straight out of Detroit USA, the one and only DERRICK MAY!
>>> FUNKAGENDA >> TECHPHONICS > FRI 24 JAN > MR KIM'S

> Playing tech tunes every Tuesday, 6pm-8pm (Adelaide time) on www.soundpond.net

Last edited by JamRock: 15-Mar-12 at 05:20pm

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
WhatsOn: http://www.inthemix.com.au/whatson/a...ts_Derrick_May

Tickets: $30+fees from venuetix, or $30 from myself or Devious.

25 earlybirds at $25 each are ONLY AVAILABLE from the door at our Nick Curly show at Cushdy on Fri 23 March: http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=302570

> Playing tech tunes every Tuesday, 6pm-8pm (Adelaide time) on www.soundpond.net

Last edited by JamRock: 15-Mar-12 at 05:24pm

Snotbag +

Times thanked
< 11
Nice! One great DJ I am still yet to see... Going to try and lock this show in!

What's the EC venue like these days? Sound system still top notch as I remember it years ago? Many a good time had at that joint... Don't hear much of the place these days
*&^$#%^&*(
NenadL +

......errrr I got nothin

Times thanked
< 23
Layout is changed around a bit, but still great sound. Derrick May's set on his last visit to A-Town was sublime. And going by some of his recent sets, he's still smashing it out!

Media Player
Derrick May @ Rex Club 3/12/11 - YouTube
www.discoveryrecords.com.au
www.soundcloud.com/nenad-lonic
www.soundcloud.com/discoveryrecords
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
< 352
Nice one Matt! Last time I saw him play was nearly 2 years ago at a massive beach party in the South of France and he rocket it.
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Tickets: http://eventfeed.eventshop.com.au/pu...hp?itemid=8205

spark1 +

I dont remember

Times thanked
< 10
I have not seen a Derrick May set I have not like and I have seen a few.
The House Cats Present:

Sunday Superbowlz @ The Adelaide Lawn Bowls Club

Barefoot at the Bay @ Holdfast Bowls and Croquet club.
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Ive seen him twice at St. Pauls, once at Stardust/Ponde, at Electric Light and at Sugar. Keen to see him smashing the EC rig!

spark1 +

I dont remember

Times thanked
< 10
And he played at electric light one year too.
The House Cats Present:

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamRock View Post

Ive seen him twice at St. Pauls, once at Stardust/Ponde, at Electric Light and at Sugar. Keen to see him smashing the EC rig!

Quote:

Originally Posted by spark1 View Post

And he played at electric light one year too.

Yes he did. I went there with you/Sal/Rudy etc!

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Bump: Tickets already moving at Venuetix - don't sleep on this one!

Reminder: cheapest tickets (25 earlybirds at $25) available from Cushdy this Friday for my Nick Curly partay!

party_chica +

richard d james soundlab = heaven on earth

Times thanked
< 1
coolllllllllll!! will be so rad
I'm the chick who drops sick flows fill bowls with ill flows ill ho hell knows pantyhose holes full of No Doz

- da one n only princess superstar
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
FYI we've now sold a quarter of the event capacity in the first week on sale. Don't sleep on grabbing tix or you're likely to miss out altogether.

Venuetix: $30 + fees: http://eventfeed.eventshop.com.au/pu...hp?itemid=8205

archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
< 11
tickets acquired
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
the tasmanian connection

sunday 8pm --> 10pm EST! on www.nsbradio.co.uk

Bbb RrRr Ee A KK SssSSs and such

hi i'm a facebook thing for this
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~**~**~*~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by archietech View Post

tickets acquired

Nice one!

spark1 +

I dont remember

Times thanked
< 10
Seems to be quite the Buzz about this event. (As there should be for one of the Detroit techno founders)

I have my ticket do you have yours?
The House Cats Present:

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Tickets now 50% sold. Get on it peeps! 17 days to go.... w00t w00t!

*sings: "now everybody down with 313 put your m*thaf*ckin hands up and follow me!!!"

funkdupkat +

Times thanked
< 7
Sorted --
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Onion mag speaks with Derrick ahead of his upcoming Adelaide visit! http://www.onion.com.au/article/5482

smorchika +

Times thanked
< 508
wish i could, but alas, i cannot.
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
This is shaping up to be one hell of a gig! Certainly on track to sell out of tickets so best grab them ASAP from Venuetix or from me direct.

FYI we're the first gig on Derrick's Australian Tour so let's give him a solid welcome!

Currently organising his preferred mixer to be shipped over from Melbourne specifically for this gig!

Yorke Hunt +

Times thanked
< 46
Derrick May – We Love – 13.04.2012

http://rapidgator.net/file/3951073/D....2012.mp3.html
http://turbobit.net/b5weqva7yul3.html
http://depositfiles.com/files/ug99kyg3d

Derrick May has been an international phenomenon ever since he revolutionized the British club scene in the ‘80s. His music and artistry helped create the modern day clubscape. Along with Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson they are known as “The Belleville Three” and are universally credited as the originators of Techno. His seminal hits “Strings of Life” and “Nude Photo” are two examples of his work that took Detroit Techno and launched it across the globe to be emulated and embraced by DJs worldwide (and also earned him the moniker “The Innovator”). Transmat, the label Derrick founded in the mid ‘80s, was a launch pad for artists such as Carl Craig, Juan Atkin’s Model 500, Stacey Pullen, Kenny Larkin and Joey Beltram to name a few.
May Mix Available Now: http://soundcloud.com/yorkehunt/yorke-hunt-may-2010
soundcloud.com/yorkehunt : twitter.com/yorkehunt : facebook.com/yorkehunt : myspace.com/yorkehunt
Jillie Bean +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorke Hunt View Post

Derrick May has been an international phenomenon ever since he revolutionized the British club scene in the ‘80s. His music and artistry helped create the modern day clubscape. Along with Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson they are known as “The Belleville Three” and are universally credited as the originators of Techno. His seminal hits “Strings of Life” and “Nude Photo” are two examples of his work that took Detroit Techno and launched it across the globe to be emulated and embraced by DJs worldwide (and also earned him the moniker “The Innovator”). Transmat, the label Derrick founded in the mid ‘80s, was a launch pad for artists such as Carl Craig, Juan Atkin’s Model 500, Stacey Pullen, Kenny Larkin and Joey Beltram to name a few.

thanks for the history lesson
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Fresh set? Nice one bruvva! Will DL tonight

This week peeps. 26 tickets left at venuetix. I have a few still on me personally. Reserving a few for the door too. GET ON IT!!!

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Supports announced, including PHIL WALLS [UK], recently moved to Adelaide to live. Phil & Devious will be playing as TURBOFUNK, their new production outfit.

Wicked interview/article right here on ITM as part of their 'Honour Roll' series: http://www.inthemix.com.au/features/..._9_Derrick_May

[IMG][/IMG]

Yorke Hunt +

Times thanked
< 46
Derrick May - Live @ Rhythm Factory [Weekend Circuit 1st Birthday] (London,UK) - 07-04-2012

http://soundcloud.com/weekend_circui...ekend-circuit/
May Mix Available Now: http://soundcloud.com/yorkehunt/yorke-hunt-may-2010
soundcloud.com/yorkehunt : twitter.com/yorkehunt : facebook.com/yorkehunt : myspace.com/yorkehunt
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Nice one!

Presale tickets will be all gone by tonight.

Limited tix available for door sales from 10pm

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
PRESALE tix are all SOLD OUT.

Limited tickets available from the door from 10pm

GONNA BE LARGE!!!

MJ Townsend +

Times thanked
< 2
Have fun everyone. Derrick's awesome. I caught him in the warehouse at Nation in Liverpool many moons ago, and he's amazing.

I can't go to this one (I wish I could), but to get you in the mood here's a link to a recent Detroit and Chicago techno mix on my soundcloud page. It's harmonically mixed, nice and fast and downloadable.

Apparently I can't insert hyperlinks for a couple of weeks after joining inthemix (anti-spam efforts you see), so to defeat the system, I'll paste the address of my soundcloud page here, but with the '.' replaced with a space, so you can copy it into your browser and re-insert the '.'. Here it is:

soundcloud com/mj-townsend/i-94-detroit-to-chicago-01

Tracklisting:

0:00:00 - Brian Harden - The Horn (1999)
0:02:23 - The Martian - Soulshine (1999)
0:06:12 - Octave One - Meridian (1995)
0:07:09 - The Detroit Escalator Company - Gathering Memory (1996)
0:10:30 - Timeline - Return Of The Dragons (Los Hermanos Remix) (2004)
0:13:36 - Suburban Knight - Moon Rays (2005)
0:17:11 - R-Tyme - R-Theme (1989)
0:24:21 - John Beltran - Deluge (1996)
0:28:21 - The Martian - Lost Transmission From Earth (1992)
0:33:15 - Ron Trent - Altered States (Carl Craig's East Side Remix) (1992)
0:34:19 - Freq - Waveaura (1995)
0:38:05 - Underground Resistance - Transition (2002)
0:45:00 - Kenny Larkin - Q (1994)
0:48:21 - Underground Resistance - Inspiration (2002)
0:54:30 - The Plan - Red Shift (2007)
0:56:39 - Los Hermanos - Quetzal (2002)
1:01:54 - Los Hermanos - Lines Of Nazca (2004)
1:06:41 - Los Hermanos - Quetzal (Altos Cielos Mix) (2004)

I've put it up in the Adelaide 'Local Mix Thread' with more info if you're interested.

Have fun with Derrick. He's one of the monuments of electronic music.
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Thanks MJ! Nice one

MJ Townsend +

Times thanked
< 2
My pleasure dude

There's 1989 vintage Derrick in there - R-Tyme's 'R-Theme' at track 7. An old Hacienda classic
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 861
Since you guys have the first leg for this tour I want to hear plenty of reports!

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
LOL I could write the report right now - I KNOW how good it's gonna be!!!

michaelrox27 +

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah i really like this forum. This is the place where you can get to know about lots of different different things.
Kings Sister +

Times thanked
< 5
I can never remember what queue to stand in, that place always confuses me! If you have a ticket do you stand in:

a) the line-up next to the wall
b) the one in the middle
c) the one furthest from the wall

Hopefully someone sees this in time! Thank you in advance!
lewdminx +

internet superstar

Times thanked
< 0
can someone please tell me the set times

or give me a number for the venue that actually works

Thank.
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
Hey all - hope you enjoyed last night as much as I did!

Wicked set by Derrick - incredibly friendly guy too. He really enjoyed the gig and said he loves Adelaide, loves playing, and loves intimate club gigs like the one we shared last night.

To all those who came to the door and were turned away, I apologise, we only had 25 tickets saved for the door and we 24 of those people lining up pre-10pm, and the last one went 10 mins later. Probably turned away about 100 people because we were at full capacity.

I thought Derrick played a wicked set - he works it like no other dj I've seen before. Impeccable track selection too...

What did you think?

funkdupkat +

Times thanked
< 7
10/10 one cracking club set....works that mixer like no one else...see u at the laundry mr may.....SUPERB........
NenadL +

......errrr I got nothin

Times thanked
< 23
Wow, sooo good. Perfect track selection. Just the right amount of classics thrown in, but so many tunes I've never heard of, and probably will never find/ID. Worked the crowd better than his reputation to do so. Soulful, melodic, banging Hi-Tek-Soul indeed! Thanks to all who came out, especially the interstaters, this sure will be a night to remember.
www.discoveryrecords.com.au
www.soundcloud.com/nenad-lonic
www.soundcloud.com/discoveryrecords
RavinHard +

Times thanked
< 18
Absolute cracker of night. Had an absolute blast, the man knows how to rock a club and was getting so involved, was cool having it in such an intimate venue as well. Loved his track selection very cool from beginning to end and he works the mixer like i've never seen or heard before.
Mate and I were a couple of the younger ones there, the crowd was top notch and very friendly, nice to see everyone there for the music and lapping it up to. Younger generation of clubbers could definitely take a leaf out of their book.
Well run night by Techponics, looking forward to the next time he's in Adelaide.
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
< 352
Great night! Really enjoyed Derrick's set. Played a nice variety of sounds and knew when to take it down a few notches, then bring it back up again. It was good being up close watching him work the mixer and interacting with the crowd.

Media Player
Derrick May | Electric Circus - YouTube
zizou +

Times thanked
< 7
Optional
Is Rej a classic already? God I'm old..
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
< 352

Quote:

Originally Posted by zizou View Post

Is Rej a classic already? God I'm old..

Nah not really. He did drop The Martian - Star Dancer. Now thats a classic!
funkdupkat +

Times thanked
< 7
Thinking about it that was the best set i have seen at EC....Trentmoeller was special but that set will be hard to beat....
JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
^^^ Nice.

spark1 +

I dont remember

Times thanked
< 10
Yeah was an awesome set for sure. That said in the 6 times i have seen Derrick play he has always been excellent. I totally agree if there would some more of the younger crew there they would have been amazed at his skills
The House Cats Present:

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218
I spoke to one dude who said "Im the youngest person here!" and he was 22.

I met a couple of girls who were 18 & 19 too

JamRock +

Times thanked
< 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papanikolas View Post

Nah not really. He did drop The Martian - Star Dancer. Now thats a classic!

And Joey Beltram's Energy Flash!

MJ Townsend +

Times thanked
< 2
Ah cool, he played Energy Flash. That's great!

I wish I was there :o/
RavinHard +

Times thanked
< 18
Yeah me and my mate were chatting to a guy who had grandchildren, top bloke and was absolutely loving it. He was right at the front near the DJ booth by the end of Derrick's set. The older crew can move as well, I've never seen Electric heaving like that, the whole dancefloor was grooving the whole time and there was always room to move, it was cool to see.
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »