Food, Photography and Travel

The Perth foodies thread

Tools
Chester +

trashbags unite!!

Times thanked
< 13
yeah i went there and it was fantastic i love that they have the classi menu and the menu of the day

the only issue was when we went it was a 42 degree day and was raining and that place doesnt have any aircon so was sweltering

so do note recommend on a hot day
I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. O.W
Shadowy +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by musmus View Post

Anyone got any hot spots in Fremantle - going to be there at Easter. Cheers.

If you like your Beer then the three places in Fremantle to check out are:

The Little Creatures Brewery down by the water, great beer and good food

The Sail and Anchor has some one the best ranges of beer on tap in all of Perth and there is a restaurant there too.

The Monk Brewery Kitchen makes some damn good beers and the food is pretty good too.
Quarrion +

Perth Modz: not boring

Times thanked
< 16
Going to check out the cidery in Pickering Brook on Sunday! Can't wait!
1UP Microcinema
1UP on Facespace
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by musmus View Post

Anyone got any hot spots in Fremantle - going to be there at Easter. Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post

The Sail and Anchor has some one the best ranges of beer on tap in all of Perth and there is a restaurant there too.

Go next door to Old Shanghai for 10 dorrah good price asian deliciousness -> spend more on beer at the Sail. Profit. Possibly my favourite food/beer combo in Freo.

Also there is a wine bar called Whispers just down Essex street from the Sail if you feel like something a bit more quiet and intimate, there is a (sometimes) very loud frenchman owner and a consistently brilliant wine list. A++ would patronise again.

Otherwise I agree with Little Creatures and Mad Monk (personally I do not rate the Monk's regular beers at all but they always have some interesting limited run stuff). With Creatures, if it is sunny and nice I advise the outside part, otherwise if it is raining check out the loft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

It's the same as going out on a busy street and looking at the people around you, most of them are fgts.

marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by YossarianIsSane View Post

Also there is a wine bar called Whispers just down Essex street from the Sail if you feel like something a bit more quiet and intimate, there is a (sometimes) very loud frenchman owner and a consistently brilliant wine list. A++ would patronise again.

That's a good little tidbit. Haven't heard of that one before. I might have to check it out. I've got the folks in town, and we're doing a Freo mission today. I was considering Gypsy Tapas again as there's more on the menu I'd like to try, but that could be a good option too.
The power to form our destinies lies in the Heavens.
The right to change our destinies lies within Us.
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
went to Little Creatures last night actually - still awesome food there - chorizo and corn pizza, squid, washed down with the new pale ale =)
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
Well, unfortunately most of Freo was closed on good friday, and those that were open were only serving drinks with food. Whispers was closed, so that didn't work out. We ended up just having something at Monk, which was nice, albeit greasy given we ordered a platter.

On another note, we went to Duende in Leederville for dinner. Great food and great service. Had an awesome pinot noir from Denmark (WA) as well, which was good. The only fault was that the paella took ages to come out, even though we ordered it first (and had that order processed first by about 15 minutes). Otherwise, it was a fantastic meal with some really awesome menu items. A repeat visit will definitely have to be arranged at a later date.
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
went to Red Cabbage in South Perth last Tues night - was OK, nothing special. Servings were a tad on the small side for the price. Luckily we had the Entertainment card =P and went for half-price waffles afterwards for dessert hehe

has anyone been to el Publico or the Precinct yet? keen to try them soon... and Aisuru Sushi as well.. =)
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
2 Fat Indians in Highgate last night - two thumbs up ^-^
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
I've been meaning to go there ever since I moved here. Good to know it gets a good rating.
angelbel +

This bird you cannot change

Times thanked
< 297
We went there for a family dinner a couple of months ago. My family aren't very adventurous when it comes to food but they all loved it.
Their banquets are fantastic if you've got a group - the mains are unlimited so if everyone gobbles up the butter chicken you can just get them to keep bringing more
Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield.
That was pretty fucking ninja.

kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelbel View Post

We went there for a family dinner a couple of months ago. My family aren't very adventurous when it comes to food but they all loved it.
Their banquets are fantastic if you've got a group - the mains are unlimited so if everyone gobbles up the butter chicken you can just get them to keep bringing more

yeah I'm a sucker for butter chicken when I go out for Indian but that time I got something else for a change (a prawn curry) =)

people say Bollywood in Innaloo is really good as well - they had business cards for there at 2 Fat Indians so.. maybe same owner?

just got the 2012/13 Entertainment Book from work staff amenities, looking forward to hitting up some different places this year ^-^
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,404
Think I will be trying 2fatindians tonight!
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
just saw on Urbanspoon that (A)lure in Burswood has closed - really liked that place. Must be making way for Bistro Guillaume opening in September...

last night went to Oliver's on James St in Northbridge. Friend had prosciutto, bocconcini & artichoke pizza - very nice. I had the pork belly - could have had crispier skin but otherwise cooked very nicely.

^-^
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,404
Enjoyed 2 fat Indians, Rogan Josh was nice with tender meat. Heaps of food, the onion Bhaji was more than enough for the two of us fo starters. Overall a nice experience.

I still think this is the best curryhouse I have been to in Perth; http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/338/1547...ant-Ocean-Reef

I cant help but compare every curry to that and one still hasnt managed to match it! Though 2 Fat indians has a nice wine/beer list ( compared to the BYO)
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,404
Where is the best place for Pork Belly? I have somehow never had it and I am really keen to try it, always hear rave reviews about it!
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdb2 View Post

Where is the best place for Pork Belly? I have somehow never had it and I am really keen to try it, always hear rave reviews about it!

Best pork belly I've had was at Nobu with the miso caramel - amazing! (but expensive..) =(

Azure in Mt Hawthorn did a nice one a couple of years back but returned more recently and bf said it wasn't as good. Places change menus and chefs so it can be hit and miss, like with anything. Noticing it more on menus though (and at the supermarket) =)

We've made it pork belly at home a few times now (must be twice or more cooked - plenty of recipes online) I tried to replicate the miso caramel sauce hehe =P
liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
< 100
BEST EVER PORK BELLY = In Contro South Perth

Followed closely by the Subi Hotel
Coming up for TLOY Perth:

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
Clarence's pork belly is quite good too. It was definitely better closer to when they first opened, but it's still nice now.

As for best, Vasse Felix in Margaret River wins for me
12 hour pork belly... Win...
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
Going to Restaurant Amusé (finally!) in a couple of weeks time! ^-^
Quarrion +

Times thanked
< 16
Finally went to Tony Roma's for cousins bday. Didn't rate it hey. Was pretty average, presentation was shit - who serves steak with steamed broccoli?? Starters were the highlight.
1UP Microcinema
1UP on Facespace
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
The onion ring nest thing is pretty awesome. In the end, it's still a restaurant chain, so I wouldn't expect a particularly fine dining experience out of them.

Has anyone tried the new Planet Cafe in Mt Lawley? We were out for the last Lucid Dreaming last weekend and wanted to head out for dinner. As expected, all the usual places were full until 9pm, so we ended up at Nando's, but then I wandered past Planet on the way to the Scotto and noticed the cafe. The menu looked interesting enough (although I can't remember a thing off it ). Thoughts?
liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
< 100
I've heard they are excellent for breakfast. My mate has reviewed them on her breakfast blog:
http://breakfastinperth.blogspot.com.au
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
Your friends' description certainly makes me want to go there for breakfast too. That vegan stack sounds quite interesting, as does the ristretto coffee with honey.

Damn not living in Mt Lawley anymore!
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanni View Post

Going to Restaurant Amusé (finally!) in a couple of weeks time! ^-^

Went last night - it was amazing!

Highlights were the duck, the lamb and runny egg in a jar (hehe). Wines matched perfectly!

Maiden +

hanging for 4.30pm on Friday

Times thanked
< 4
I hit up Bistro Felix last Monday, wanted to go somewhere from the entertainment book that had a free main meal, but we didn't end up using the voucher as Mon - Thurs they have a cheap meal option, so it was $55 for 2 courses and $65 for 3 courses.
We just had 2 courses each, we both started with the blue swimmer crab fettuccine which was really tasty, not a massive serve so you still wanted mains but not small either, just right. We both ordered a glass of white wine to go with our meals. I was quite surprised how full it was for a Monday night, they had a couple of big tables as well, and we must have ordered our mains just after one of the big tables, because my friend and I had been waiting about 15 minutes since finishing our entrees and they came out and said that there would be a small delay with our meals because the kitchen was small and they had just finished the big table, so would we like a complimentary glass of wine!
I ordered the fillet steak on a bed of whipped mashed potato and legumes and it was cooked perfectly, so tender, pink on the inside but had that yummy charred kind of taste from the grill. My friend has tossed up between the duck leg and the fish special which was cod, she had decided to go with the cod but they brought out the duck, in the end she was happy with the duck, and that was the only fault for the night.
Service was great, they took our coats and hung them up, watered was offered straight away and so was crispy bread.
Would go again and maybe try dessert this time!
"Go Confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined"
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
< 8,968
Fine dining in Perth...

Gussigan +

business dog is all about business

Times thanked
< 3,768
great joke... you been working on that for a while?
Gusface Grillah
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
< 8,968
Nah, I just remembered how much I used to like going there

I loved the Hawaiian pack. Fried banana & pineapple. So good.
Quarrion +

Times thanked
< 16
mmm nothing like microwaved chicken and chips
1UP Microcinema
1UP on Facespace
Gussigan +

Times thanked
< 3,768
i have never eaten it the entire time i've lived in perth

sounds like something i'd give my dog for performing a trick

Spoiler:
my dog insists they're not tricks, they're illusions
Gusface Grillah
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
I think I tried it once purely for the experience. Wasn't anything to write home about. And it was certainly boring. I think I got a roast chicken roll, and that was literally what I got. Chicken and a roll. No sauce, no garnish, no nothing.
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
< 8,968

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gussigan View Post

i have never eaten it the entire time i've lived in perth

sounds like something i'd give my dog for performing a trick

Spoiler:
my dog insists they're not tricks, they're illusions

My brothers & I call it Chicken Threat. True story.

Still think it's better than any of the shitty, overpriced restaurants in Perth though
Gussigan +

Times thanked
< 3,768
when was the last time you even ate in one of these so called shitty restaurants? the eighties?

there are heaps of great places to eat in perth
Gusface Grillah
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
< 8,968
Once a year or so. I've always been shocked by the prices at mid-range restaurants. The prices compare to some of Melbourne's high-end restaurants. Not sure if it's freight costs or just because they have a cornered market, but it's a thing.
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
It certainly is a thing, and a royal pain at that. You can definitely get good food, but you have to search for it. If you just wander in off the street to a random restaurant, you're fairly justified in saying that it's expensive and not particularly great.
gotamangina +

o.O

Times thanked
< 8,968
I think my family only takes me to crappy places too.
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

Once a year or so. I've always been shocked by the prices at mid-range restaurants. The prices compare to some of Melbourne's high-end restaurants. Not sure if it's freight costs or just because they have a cornered market, but it's a thing.

Cornered market for sure. More so than anywhere else I have lived, in Perth you need to be wary of nice looking pubs and restaurants charging 30+/main for what is ultimately an average meal. However, if you do a bit of hunting, you can easily get excellent food at a cheap price. Hence it probably hits visitors harder.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/ch...619-20ll9.html

Dissapoint that it's probably going to become a mainstream/metro pub.

Approve that it's not Woolies or Coles turning it into that. Or knocking it down.

Quote:

It's the same as going out on a busy street and looking at the people around you, most of them are fgts.

Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,404
I used to work at chicken treat when I was at school, good times .
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
going to Must Winebar for a multi-course experience for Italian Food and Wine week tomorrow, can't wait ^-^
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

going to Must Winebar for a multi-course experience for Italian Food and Wine week tomorrow, can't wait ^-^

shared the Must charcuterie plate and for mains - fluffy potato gnocchi w braised rabbit - awesome! Soooo full after >.<
Quarrion +

Times thanked
< 16
Oh! Their gnocchi is the best!

Planning on trying out the Lost Society next Tuesday night for their $20 tasting plate and popcorn rum - yum!
1UP Microcinema
1UP on Facespace
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
just got a matcha milk tea w red bean and pearl from Presotea on Barrack St - very nice! ^-^

noticed Pepper Lunch is just down from there, wonder if it's as good as it is in Japan ?_?
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182
Going to The Crowded House tonight for anniversary dinner. Going to be so awesome, it's been ages since i've been there. Easily my favourite Perth restaurant.

Quote:

kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
heading to the Good Food and Wine show this Friday ^-^
Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,574

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

The lunch special at that Cafe up at North Cott was $38 the other weekend. $38! That's the price of mains in some of Melbourne's 1 and 2 hatted joints...

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmondtigers

His father had a sex change when his mum wanted a kid.

He mutilated his vagina not long afterwards.

To this day it is still in bad shape.

Gussigan +

Times thanked
< 3,768
yeah no shit, that's what happens when inflation is running 0.5-1% higher than the rest of australia
Gusface Grillah
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20

Quote:

heading to the Good Food and Wine show this Friday ^-^

I should be going Saturday. Anything in particular you think is worth taking a look at in particular? I haven't really planned anything out, and am going to just rock up and wander around unless I there's something specific worth seeing.
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusus View Post

I should be going Saturday. Anything in particular you think is worth taking a look at in particular? I haven't really planned anything out, and am going to just rock up and wander around unless I there's something specific worth seeing.

Not sure, I'm the same - just wander around. Last year one of my highlights was the Luv-a-Duck stall - yummm ^-^
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
Wander around it is! Incidentally, ticketek have some random $10 off tickets pomotional offer on at the moment, so I ended up paying $26.45 for my ticket (stupid booking fees!). Probably not enough people going

« Previous Thread Next Thread »