Derrick May interview...
Interesting interview of Derrick May from Electronic Beats/Slices:

http://www.electronicbeats.net/tv?vi...re-derrick-may

Enjoy.

- Patrick.
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 269
I just finished watching the History of House doco on youtube and May was banging on there (2001) about the British and their obsession with naming genres of music as well. It is all well and good to say that it is all "just music" and to some extent he is right. I think he just needs to let go and stop trying to prove himself, he is clearly an intelligent and thoughtful person (and a bit of a dick). His record as a producer and DJ speaks for itself.

May makes too many assumptions about giving titles to music, people are just trying to describe what they hear. If his issue is of narrow-mindedness he needn't worry because people will like/dislike it whether or not it has a name. In any event, I don't see how labelling everything "music" is any more likely to result in accurate interpretations.

Part of the reason he needs to let go is because he and his friends did not come up with every form of electronic music imaginable. The other main reason that he needs to let go is because it is only ever the same people that listen (and it is getting tiring). It could be that it is the interviewers setting him up with bad or unoriginal questions. Now that I think about it, it probably is. All May ever seems to be asked about is politics. I would love to hear May talk about the music he loves, the scenes he enjoys, people he admires and his vision for the future of techno.

He just writes off a vibrant electronic music scene by making overly simplistic generalisations based on what is happening at a level he isn't a part of. Afterall, house and techno had virtually no presence in America for years, yet he didn't judge his scene according the values of the mainstream. He needs to apply the same logic now. Occasiona crossover aside he doesn't belong in Ibiza or the equivalent club scene. Surely he isn't going to talk Japan down.

He does have a point about the circus (although it isn't made well).

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 17-Jan-12 at 02:37pm

Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno from Burwood View Post

IAfterall, house and techno had virtually no presence in America for years

Chicago/New York invented the former, and Detroit the latter. I'd say that's a pretty big presence. A number of house tracks charted in the mainstream charts too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

jarnos +

doosh doosh

Times thanked
< 6
Does anyone have the tracklist for that interview? Some great tunes.
Instant Sam +

Times thanked
< 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wowk View Post

Chicago/New York invented the former, and Detroit the latter. I'd say that's a pretty big presence. A number of house tracks charted in the mainstream charts too.

You would think, but in reality no. Techno was very niche even within Detroit. Only started to blow up when Derrick May et al started touring Uk and then Europe and then only in those markets. House music maybe only slightly more known about in the US at that time. Outside of its underground followings, electronic music in general only really gained any sort of traction in US circa mid, late 90s and even then it was all about the big acts like the Chems, Daft Punk, Fat Boy Slim etc.
suenomartino +

Times thanked
< 172

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarnos View Post

Does anyone have the tracklist for that interview? Some great tunes.

All Rhythim is Rhythim (Derrick May & friends) tracks.. Strings, The Dance, The Beginning, Drama
jarnos +

doosh doosh

Times thanked
< 6
Awesome, thanks!
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
< 33
He does harp on about it a lot (the genre thing), but he does walk the talk too. Pretty sure (memory is shady) I remember him dropping that Tim Deluxe tune when it was in the charts. Most techno DJ's wouldnt drop charted dance music these days. Nor would they drop Trance or Prog, even if the shoe did fit, thanks to the stigma attached to certain genres. But yeah, what are ya gonna do?? People need to describe shit some how I guess. 9 times out of 10 it falls short of the mark.
Soundcloud
nocturnal_groova +

Times thanked
< 78
I think his a legend, always been a personal favourite. Yeah his jaded to some degree describing the scene as a circus but who isn't when you've seen so much change.....respect to him for still using vinyl.

Listened to two recent mixes of his which put a big smile on my dial, one was Barcelona club be cool and the other was in Japan, try to find them if you can.

Hope he comes out again soon.
gethoused81 +

Times thanked
< 0
[quote=Bruno from Burwood;394717986] has clearly too much time on his hands...in all that rhetoric I seemed to have missed his point...here's a genre for you (to keep what I'm saying specific) "bland"
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,292
wut
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,005

Quote:

Originally Posted by gethoused81 View Post

Bruno from Burwood has clearly too much time on his hands...in all that rhetoric I seemed to have missed his point...here's a genre for you (to keep what I'm saying specific) "bland"

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 269

Quote:

Originally Posted by gethoused81 View Post

has clearly too much time on his hands...in all that rhetoric I seemed to have missed his point...here's a genre for you (to keep what I'm saying specific) "bland"

Am I supposed to give a fuck?
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013
JamRock +

Haus-Boat cruise with Ian Pooley - Good Friday! :)

Times thanked
< 218
May played Adelaide Friday night. Stellar set - the man is a master!
>>> FUNKAGENDA >> TECHPHONICS > FRI 24 JAN > MR KIM'S

> Playing tech tunes every Tuesday, 6pm-8pm (Adelaide time) on www.soundpond.net

« Previous Thread Next Thread »