Breaks, Drum & Bass and Dubstep

what's difference between Drum and Bass and Dubstep??

Tools
pipes_ +

Times thanked
< 0
what's difference between Drum and Bass and Dubstep??
Hey everyone, I''m new here and also a complete music amateur One of my friends told me that dubstep and drum and bass were pretty much the same, I didn't really understand the technical terms he was using so can you guys tell me about the two genres and their similarities/differences please?

I really want to learn more!
baseade +

Times thanked
< 16
Drum n bass is good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdJgwf-_HGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqTM3cYt_Wo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89WyX7RRcAo

Dubstep is not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpS7nCweYZI

But that is just my opinion - and wouldnt want to offend
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
dnb is usually about 160-180bpm whereas dubstep is about 140bpm
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 5,425
Dubstep is 140bpm.
Dnb is 175bpm.

That's 80% of the speed, so they can be mixed together pretty easily.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

wiz promotionz +

always music

Times thanked
< 6
dubstep to drumnbass is like emo to metal
WIZ PROMOTIONZ
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Dubstep is 140bpm.
Dnb is 175bpm.

That's 80% of the speed, so they can be mixed together pretty easily.

I'v always found hip hop to be wayyyyyy easier to mix into dnb than dubstep*

Unless you get a dnb track with a dubstep breakdown.
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6

Lol....says the guy with the Gatecrasher image as his avatar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambretta

Oh I'm sick of all this talk about sexual things, it's so disgusting and it's not natural.

Why cant we just watch normal healthy things such as hundreds and hundreds of people being blown to shit for being foreign by some muscular hero?

Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Incidentally, i just listened to your links.

A: Your taste in DnB is questionable. Do you mean to tell me that of all of the amazing music within the genre, you chose those 3 as a representation of whats 'good'?

B: That 'dubstep' track you posted was about 20-25bpm slower than 95% of what is generally considered to be dubstep.

C: Skrillex? Really?

Dig a little deeper, man.

>>>

To the original poster - there are definitely some similarities between the two genres, so I can understand your confusion.

As a rule, modern DnB is between 170-175 bpm, although the older stuff (jungle) can be as slow as 155-160, with some breakbeat hardcore (a predecessor to DnB) dropping below that.

Dubstep, generally is between 135-140, some tunes go a little faster. Some older UK Garage tunes (a predecessor to dubstep) are in the low 130s.

Now, here is the (slightly) tricky bit, which might be the source of some of your confusion. Both genres frequently feature 'halfstep' beats - i.e, they sound like they are going at half the speed (85 bpm for DnB), (70bpm for dubstep) - each of which can be mixed with their full speed counterparts. Hence a 85bpm halfspeed DnB track can have a kinda 'similar' feel to a 70 bpm dubstep track - they certainly feel slower than 90% of most other dance floor genres such as house, techno, trance etc etc.

I would suggest that the recent proliferation of halfstep beats in DnB is a direct influence of the increased awareness of dubstep, so there is definitely a case to say that each genre influences the other somewhat, and indeed, many DnB events will feature a dubstep room, and vice versa. Best get yourself out - as the best way to experience each is in from of a FAT sound system.

>>>>

Beyond that, both genres are incredibly diverse. Aggro, techy, hard, deep, melodic, soulful, chilled, funky, driving, abstract, tribal, percussive flavours abound in each genre - so you should be able to find something that tickles your fancy in each. Infact, several producers of each genre, have made tunes in the other genre, such as Kryptic Minds, Martyn, Tech Itch, Noisia, Marcus Intalex, Breakage...and many others.

Perhaps post some links to some tunes you like, and we might be able to suggest some more that you might like.

Enjoy!

Quote:

Oh I'm sick of all this talk about sexual things, it's so disgusting and it's not natural.

Why cant we just watch normal healthy things such as hundreds and hundreds of people being blown to shit for being foreign by some muscular hero?

Bitsmasher +

alldeathmetalallthetime

Times thanked
< 301
you're more likely to meet a female at a DnB gig
I'm a DJ, I push the volume up to 10
the lights are dancing in the red, I'm distorting it again
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,022
Citizen knows. Great post.

You also have the whole Bass music thing as well ie Scuba, Joy Orbison, 2562 etc that probably share more influence with techno these days but still has it's roots firmly in Dubstep.
baseade +

Times thanked
< 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

Incidentally, i just listened to your links.

A: Your taste in DnB is questionable. Do you mean to tell me that of all of the amazing music within the genre, you chose those 3 as a representation of whats 'good'?

B: That 'dubstep' track you posted was about 20-25bpm slower than 95% of what is generally considered to be dubstep.

C: Skrillex? Really?

Dig a little deeper, man.

Enjoy!

Ok - so you sound like you know a tad more - hence in my discliamer I said I wouldnt want to offend.

Yes i am a trance head, but learned a new sound in the form of dnb a few years ago too - am i not allowed? WOuld you like my to change my avatoar to dreamscape or slammin vinly when commenting on the dnb thread?

My taste in Dnb comes from seeing Andy C and Subfocus a few years ago at Exit - and all of my dnb mates who have been there since the days of Peshay and Logical progressions agree that they are at the top of the game at the moment.

But i still stand by my comment that IN MY OPINION dubstep is shite - thats my opinion. MY opinion geddit. Only have to cast my mind back to Thursday night when at Distortion 1st birthday in the cross - everyone looked like they were headbanging to the music - no where near as fun as Dnb.

So prey tell - if Original SIn and Shy FX are shite (ok the shy fx sample is very commercial) - what would you suggest kind sir?
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Cool man, no sweat. We clearly have very different taste in DnB - and therefore, most likely, very different taste in dubstep. Further to that, you chose to use a non-dubstep track to make your point, which didn't lend much of an air of credibility to your argument.

I still maintain that if you think ALL dubstep is shit, then you need to dig deeper. Especially since the artists you mentioned tend to veer towards them more jump-up/wobble end of the DnB spectrum - the amount of dubstep tracks that take their aesthetic cues from jump-up and other forms of DnB is huge.

(which is a bit of a shame IMO, since the originators of dubstep, by and large, had grown disillusioned withe direction DnB had taken)

Sadly, vast swathes of (newer) dubstep takes its sonic palette wholesale from DnB. Ergo, for whatever variants of DnB you favour, you can pretty much find a dubstep sonic equivalent.

Whats the difference? Only about 30bpm, squire.

Quote:

Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
Someone mentioned Scuba and 2562 before. Speaking of artists growing disillusioned with a sound, both of those have progressively moved away from dubstep in the sound of their releases over the past 2-3 years.... and tellingly, so have many of dubstep's true innovators. (Loefah, Ramadanman, Martyn, Kode 9, Blackdown etc etc)

Scuba, in particular, was quite vocal about his eagerness to disassociate himself and Hot Flush with dubstep. If you have a spare 60 mins, check out the clip of his interview for RBMA.

The 'D' word is very much a dirty word in 2012.

Quote:

baseade +

Times thanked
< 16

Quote:

Cool man, no sweat. We clearly have very different taste in DnB - and therefore, most likely, very different taste in dubstep. Further to that, you chose to use a non-dubstep track to make your point, which didn't lend much of an air of credibility to your argument.

I still maintain that if you think ALL dubstep is shit, then you need to dig deeper. Especially since the artists you mentioned tend to veer towards them more jump-up/wobble end of the DnB spectrum - the amount of dubstep tracks that take their aesthetic cues from jump-up and other forms of DnB is huge.

(which is a bit of a shame IMO, since the originators of dubstep, by and large, had grown disillusioned withe direction DnB had taken)

Sadly, vast swathes of (newer) dubstep takes its sonic palette wholesale from DnB. Ergo, for whatever variants of DnB you favour, you can pretty much find a dubstep sonic equivalent.

Ah right - im with you - i just searched Skrillex on youtube as wasnt too fussed with what i found so i take your point full on there. DOnt even think i listened to the track.

I will find some examples later and send them across.

I do know dubstep though - the last Chinese Laundry GArden party at Slipp Inn was particularly Dubsetppy.

I do like Dnb genres like the more airy stuff - MC Conrad Logical Progression, but for me, as you have identified, coming from trance and hard house roots, I love it full on. See Andy C Set at Godskitchen Global GAthering 2008 for what I really like.
http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/6...8-tracklisting

PM me your email address ill send you the link it is amazing in my eyes.

Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkETV20HV5U
I was here - front row centre for my dnb cherry popping - goes well with Noisia. Was amazing.
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,425
Citizen was talking about different drum patterns that are used, here are some good examples, both tracks 140 bpm 'dubstep' tunes by the same artist:

And here's some other (dnb) examples of diverse stuff from the same artist (fuck I love CV).
http://soundcloud.com/tim-e-aka-curr...a-currentvalue
http://soundcloud.com/tim-e-aka-curr...coming-tantrum
http://soundcloud.com/tim-e-aka-curr...k-intransigent

And another of his dubstep tunes, one of my top 5 dubstep tunes ever:
http://soundcloud.com/tim-e-aka-curr...t_128k-subt007

I'm a good guy to speak to if you like the really extreme forms of dnb I only like the roughest and dirtiest dubstep around too.

The Outside Agency & Counterstrike - My Friends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geGJNXAnCKc

One of the best 'dnb' tracks around IMO. Technically it's "crossbreed" which is a mix of dnb and hardcore, and it also has a dubstep breakdown towards the end of the tune. If some of you other dnb heads haven't heard it, give it a go, you may like it.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24

Quote:

The 'D' word is very much a dirty word in 2012.

Not really... Those artists have disasociated themselves with the sound because there sound is progressing. Loefah's producing Acid House now apparently (keen to hear it when he finally puts something out, I hear theres a Boddika/Loefah collab on the horizon!!). There still is great Dubstep being produced (Deep Medi, Black Box, Osiris etc.). It's just not as popular as it was in the past couple of years because people are getting sick of the more aggressive, jump up styles.

EDIT: Current Value is doing Dubstep now? *Hides*, all the DnB producers are starting to cross over.
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,425

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewbylew View Post

Not really... Those artists have disasociated themselves with the sound because there sound is progressing. Loefah's producing Acid House now apparently (keen to hear it when he finally puts something out, I hear theres a Boddika/Loefah collab on the horizon!!). There still is great Dubstep being produced (Deep Medi, Black Box, Osiris etc.). It's just not as popular as it was in the past couple of years because people are getting sick of the more aggressive, jump up styles.

EDIT: Current Value is doing Dubstep now? *Hides*, all the DnB producers are starting to cross over.

Even DJ Hidden is doing a bit of dubstep... though he combines it with dnb and hardcore
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Space_man +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitsmasher View Post

you're more likely to meet a female at a DnB gig

a 35 year old female!
"You might not see things yet on the surface, but underground, it's already on fire"
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space_man View Post

a 35 year old female!

first half of vid is dnb, second half dubstep:

Media Player
Super Mario Beatbox - Drum N Bass & Dubstep Remix - YouTube
lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space_man View Post

a 35 year old female!

LOL!!
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewbylew View Post

Not really... Those artists have disasociated themselves with the sound because there sound is progressing.

Ahhh...... I was being a touch tongue in cheek, there. I still collect and play the damn stuff.

( I've also found searching for needles in haystacks to be an infinitely more rewarding pastime in the past 24 months)

I maintain that the 'D' word is very much a touchy subject in 2012 - the bird-like migration to other fields by some of the genre's most innovative producers/labels attests to this. Note also the rise of the catch-all phrase 'UK Bass/Bass music' - which is increasingly being utliised to identify forms that would have previously fallen into the gamut of dubstep.

Whilst there is still very much room for innovation and progression within dubstep - I would wager that some of the more canny prior exponents of the genre are loathe to be associated with its current incarnation.

As much as you can suggest that these movements are motivated wholly via individual artistic progression, (as they should be!) the cynic within me thinks that some of these cats are pretty clever, and don't want to forever be tied to what has rapidly become the laughing stock of EDM. (and the wider public)

Just my 2c.

Quote:

lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24
I suppose. But then, it could also be the fact that Dubstep/Bass Music is progressing. I remember hearing Getting Me Down for the first time last year at some point and at that point I was a Garage/Dubstep fanatic, but when I heard that I distinctly remember saying "Damn, this is the sound of the future".

As for Dubstep now, generally, when I say I like Dubstep I just say "I like 'real' Dubstep" and people get it (most of the time, this method has backfired before though)
Shazaad +

as we roll........

Times thanked
< 0
lol
baseade +

Times thanked
< 16

Quote:

Right - dug deeper and my idea of Dubstep has been seriously tarred with all things Skrillex and for that I apologise. I am clearly not a 16yr old beany bopper and have always had an open mind when it comes to dance music and found some good dubstep.

HIgh rankin - not quite as sketchy as SK*****x and has good vibes to it - not quite if the tune is called Meow Meow but its on a high Rankin Meow Meow YOutube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHQ2uglyqTk
lewbylew +

Times thanked
< 24
Sigh.

Maybe check this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzmrr5FhsDs
I am actually a fish
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
Nice posts citizen. Very interesting. When I first got into edm around 8 years ago, it was almost exclusively DnB (living in NZ) - I used to say it was in my blood. When we came to Aus it was tough to find regular gigs to go to so we started going to other stuff. Now I am more into 4/4 music - house and techno.

One thing that had put me off DnB was the proliferation of dubstep at the gigs. I know that the genres have similar musical structures but I really don't think they belong together. They have very different energies. DnB feels (generally) a lot faster and upbeat where Dubstep seems so slow to me - no way could I dance to it.

I know the difference between good and shit Dubstep but I really don't like either. The bad stuff is so bad. The genre is like an awful spreading disease, apparently it had taken a real hold in NZ which is most depressing.

Anyway just my 2c, as you were.

Last edited by wilsonrob: 23-Apr-12 at 08:43pm

Derelict +

Times thanked
< 5,425
http://soundcloud.com/sinister-souls/scum-podcast
http://soundcloud.com/sinister-souls...sinister-souls

These mixes Sinister Souls are wicked.
Music is the best drug.

Quote: