Wabblies, Super 15 - All things Rugby

Page 1 of 14
  Tools
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 865
Wabblies, Super 15 - All things Rugby
Is anyone else following this?

Been to a couple of Tahs home matches so far, and have tickets for the next 3. Pretty dire so far from us but optimistic that it's going to get better. After losing narrowly in both matches I've attended (Round 1 & 4) the mood around the camp hasn't been great, especially losing by a point to Western Force which imo if we can't beat them we can say goodbye to finals.

Looking forward to this weekend's round.

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437
Chiefs are kicking arse and the 'Canes are doing way better than expected so I'm loving the season so far!

Last edited by SpaceMonkey: 29-Mar-12 at 02:57pm

jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
Tahs aren't doing as bad as the media are making out considering their injury toll. The biggest disappointment for them has been rob Horne who I was hoping would put his hand up for the wallaby no. 13 this season.
He is leading the tournament for missed tackles.
This season has been awesome I think there has been only 3 blow outs in 5 rounds and huge majority of games have been won by 7 or less.
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182
Force

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

It's the same as going out on a busy street and looking at the people around you, most of them are fgts.

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437
Fucking hell... Cheetahs and 'Canes, 32-all at half time, wtf?!
TranceArt +

Top 5 .....

Times thanked
< 92
epic
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437
Some awesome tries in this game so far, the defence hasnt actually been that bad, so many crazy attacking plays.... have both teams ever scored 4 try bonus points before half time before?
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
Fuck yeah I tipped the cheetahs.
theyre backline is electric
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437

Quote:

Originally Posted by jutsy View Post

Fuck yeah I tipped the cheetahs.
theyre backline is electric

Their forwards made the difference, Canes backs were as good but they weren't getting a platform.
Chiefs and Highlanders definitely the pick of the NZ sides though.
Tubby +

Times thanked
< 1
cheetahs are a better side than results would suggets in the last couple of years. 2 wins and two close losses on tour, not bad at all. Strauss has to be the best pick at 2 for the boks, playing much better than du plessis right now.
wtf is with the reds? They can only point to the injuries for the backs, what is wrong with the pack?
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
Yeah a great overseas leg by the cheetahs, two 4 try wins and two losing bonus points from 4 games. Not many Saffa teams achieve that.

They seem to be the masters of long range trys. That try against the crusaders last week was amazing.

Really disappointed with the reds forward pack too. They look so soft atm, not interested in the grunt work at all.
I think all the people calling for mckenzie to be aus coach should eat their words now.
Some of his selections in the last few weeks have been baffling, I just don't understand why he persists with the 5/2 bench considering how many injuries he has in the back or why he keeps starting daley In the front row.
The scrum looks so much better with holmes/hanson/slipper starting.

Also Genia just hasn't been the same since last years s15. He had a terrible world cup and that form has continued this year.
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
Hello thread. Been hanging out to talk about rugby here again. As a long suffering Highlanders supporter, it has been a good start to the season. We really could win this thing - such a long way to go though and it seems that so much of our fortune depends on Adam Thomson, what a player he is at this level.

Elsewhere the Chiefs are looking pretty good - the played some great rugby against the Waratahs on Sat night and I reckon the Crusaders are going to be very dangerous come the business end. Also agree about the Cheetahs, they will be very dangerous at home. It will be interesting to see how the Stormers and Bulls go on the road.

As for the Aussie teams, they seem to be in real strife. The lack of depth is being exposed somewhat.

Pretty keen to go to the Waratahs v Crusasers game in a few weeks on a Sunday afternoon. Gotta love daytime rugby.
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
The only way to improve the lack of depth is to expose younger players to the big league. Introducing the 5th team is causing short term pain for all the aussie sides as there is a dilution of talent but hopefully in the long term it improves our depth.

But I also have to say regarding the reds I don't think its a lack of depth that's the issue.
If it were just their backline that was performing poorly I wouldn't be too concerned as there's not many teams who would still be at the top of their game when their missing they're first 3 choices at fly-half (QC, Lucas, Harris), two centres (Faiinga, Lance) and one of the best wingers going around in world rugby (ioane).

The main concern with the reds is how poorly the pack is performing and they don't have the excuse of injuries as only S. Faiinga and wallace-harrison are injured from their best 22.
Jimmy B +

Yeah boiiiiiiiiiiii

Times thanked
< 158
Hey the force won. Good for them
"......and by the way, that 3 month old kid in your belly is not a fucking human being, its just a bunch of congregated cells… you're not a human, until you're in my phonebook" -Bill Hicks
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post

Hey the force won. Good for them

dat forward pack. The Reds are in absolute disarray though so we'll see if it counts for anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

It's the same as going out on a busy street and looking at the people around you, most of them are fgts.

jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
In non-super 15 related rugby news, Jamie Roberts is undergoing knee surgery and will miss the next six months of rugby.
Thats a real shame was really looking forward to seeing a full strength grand-slam winning welsh back line taking on the wallabies in June.
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
Going to the rebels v blues game tmrw nite, pretty excited to finally see beale and o'connor on the park. Probably the best lineup the rebels have fielded all year.
Should be a good game as the weather has been warm all week so guys like beale, oc'connor, ranger and nonu will hopefully see ample ball.
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
Horriblues
"...and I know that I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with. And I know that given the choice I probably wouldn't have chosen you as friends but I just wanna say that over the years I've come to regard you as........ people I met."
- Arnold Rimmer, Red Dwarf.
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
O'Connor finally put on a show for his home crowd
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437
Fuck how good Is the Hurricanes backline? They'll be 4 & 3 and the leading try scorers in the comp after tonight, but they're doing it with 30% territory and possession in most games- if they were getting parity they'd be blowing teams off the park at will.

Last edited by SpaceMonkey: 06-Apr-12 at 06:22pm

TranceArt +

Top 5 .....

Times thanked
< 92
Yep don't know why I chose the Dogs over them for my multi's
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

Fuck how good Is the Hurricanes backline? They'll be 4 & 3 and the leading try scorers in the comp after tonight, but they're doing it with 30% territory and possession in most games- if they were getting parity they'd be blowing teams off the park at will.

I didn't see the whole game but I saw one fuckin awesome run by Barrett followed by batemans chip and chase
Sublime
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
Stormers ruined a perfect tipping round for me
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
Really starting to doubt that Mackenzie is the best candidate to take over from deans You take Cooper and ioane out of the reds team and they revert to the same boring kick based gameplan the tahs mastered under Mackenzie.
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
Yea, they have had a worse than average run of injuries though.
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
True but still the addiction to aimless kicks is very frustrating.
In the 2nd half they got back into the game by keeping the ball in hand, then with 2 min to go and 7 points down they chip kick inside their own 22.

There's an article on rugbyheaven.com by Paul cully that points out the reds have kicked more ball this year than the tahs.
TranceArt +

Top 5 .....

Times thanked
< 92
Not a bad start by the Tahs. 26 seconds
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
Crusaders looking pretty ominous. Looking forward to going to that game next Sunday.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 865
Went to the game last night..and have tickets for next Sunday. The Rebels are a bit of a joke, which is definitely not the case for the Crusaders. Going to be a tough test for the Tahs, a win would be massive
Tubby +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonrob View Post

Yea, they have had a worse than average run of injuries though.

the injuries mostly affect the backs, but it's the forwards who just aren't fronting up. can't blame injuries for that.
strange how even though the reds are playing so badly they are still well in the hunt for a finals place, as no aussie team has a better than even record this season.
cheetahs and brumbies are playing like the reds of 2 years back, not necessarily winning but very entertaining to watch
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
It looks as though only one aussie team will make it. Can't see it being the Reds. Even though they won the comp last year, the don't have that 'perennial champion team' feel to them like the Crusaders now or the Brumbies of the past. I am not surprised they have fallen by the wayside injuries or not.
"...and I know that I haven't always been an easy guy to get on with. And I know that given the choice I probably wouldn't have chosen you as friends but I just wanna say that over the years I've come to regard you as........ people I met."
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
< 3,072
I reckon the reds will come good as the season goes on - having Quade and Digby back next weekend should help. I will not give up on them!
They better get their act together before next weekend's matchup with the Crusaders.

the Chiefs are in great form.
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
The brumbies really kicked it up a notch on the weekend, the two tries they scored in the first half were rugby at its best. I've had my doubts about Christian Leiliafano in the past but he has to come into wallaby contention this year. And everyone who knocked Deans for putting McCabe at IC instead of O'connor/Gits/Barnes (including me) should eat humble pie. He has developed his passing game to match his hard running and tackling, he'd be the first wallaby picked (alongside pockock).
How bad was that Jonker (non) call regarding the Steyn knock on. If even the guilty players stop for the whistle you know it was a knock on.
But the number one rule in the rugby book is "play the whistle" so there's no excuses for the brumbies.
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

I reckon the reds will come good as the season goes on - having Quade and Digby back next weekend should help. I will not give up on them!
They better get their act together before next weekend's matchup with the Crusaders.

the Chiefs are in great form.

I tipped them last week thinking that would be the game where they stake their claim but its looking more and more like they will not make the finals.
I'm not sure how much of a difference cooper and digby will make because as mentioned above its the forwards who are letting the team down and other than S. Faingaa there hasnt been too many injuries disrupting the pack. The main issue for the pack is mckenzie (much like deans last year) picking guys on reputation rather than form. Samo had an absolute shocker last week, mckenzie should've stuck with the gill/robinson/higginbottom combo as they played well against the brumbies. Holmes should start instead of daley as he's a better scrummager and Van humphries should be starting instead of simmons who's form been disappointing this year.
Tubby +

Times thanked
< 1
waratahs have had their easy points against rebels, and are yet to tour. Qld have finished their SA tour, which they sucked in, but still only 1 point behind. It's up to the brumbies to lose that top spot for now.
got to give fair credit to jake white, he cleaned house and everyone expected this to be a "rebuilding" year for them.
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
Yea the Brumbies have been good, I would say their season would already be considered a success.
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
< 3,072
thoughts on tonight's game - blues vs reds? I've tipped the Reds but my partner has tipped Blues.
blues are at the bottom of the ladder but Reds have their 4th choice fly half.
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64

Quote:

thoughts on tonight's game - blues vs reds? I've tipped the Reds but my partner has tipped Blues.

Tough one. Reds actually have Lucas and Harris back as well as ioane and faiinga but its their forwards that are the issue. However its good to see that the mckenzie has seen the light and dropped Samo from the 22.
Their Scrum will get mauled by the blues as Daley is starting ahead of Holmes.
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
< 3,072
I love Harris and I think Digby's return will make a big impact. come on reds!

when is Cooper coming back? I hear he re-fucked his knee playing touch last week.
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
Cooper should be back soon, he didnt really do any damage to the knee just felt a bit of swelling after the game, which is natural after an injury like that.
I like harris as a goal kicking 12 or 15 but I think lucas offers more in attack at 10. The best rugby the reds played all year was the first half against the sharks with lucas at 10 and harris at 12.

On another note I was watching the rugby club yesterday and I cant believe every commentator for fox sports and fairfax are saying that beale should play at 10 for the wallabies in the june tests. His our best 15 and never fired at 10 for the tahs. Why take him from his best possie when leiliafano has been killing it all year at 10.
TranceArt +

Top 5 .....

Times thanked
< 92
Butch James is such a dirty cvnt
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,437

Quote:

The Reds defence is awesome, they totally shut the Blues down with their aggression. Their scrum is pretty weak though, the Blues were bullying them even without Tony Woodcock there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
So interesting news that Genia has signed with the Force next year. Maybe he should be sacked from the Reds like Richard Graham has been from the Force.
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonrob View Post

So interesting news that Genia has signed with the Force next year. Maybe he should be sacked from the Reds like Richard Graham has been from the Force.

Yeah just heard that during the force game, and pocock resigned too.
Wonder if Cooper will follow genia west?
TranceArt +

Top 5 .....

Times thanked
< 92
11 points down with 13 mins to go, get a penalty 20 metres out and kick for goal. Great work Tahs

Didn't deserve to win anyway - so many mistakes - particularly receiving off kickoffs (absolutely woeful that part of our game).
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
Yea the Tahs handling was bad. It felt like The Crusaders were on cruise control for most of the game. Tom Carter will be having nightmares about Robbie Fruan.
jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
the waratahs were woeful with kickoff recieves. I think almost all the 'saders points in the 2nd half came directly from the tahs turning the ball over at the kick off
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
< 865
Went to the game yesterday. Waratahs made too many mistakes..again. I was surprised we were in front the times that we were, and that we were still in with a shot of getting a result with about 15 minutes to go. As said a couple of posts above, don't know what we were thinking when we kicked for goal instead of going for a try with still some time left. A chorus of boos from the crowd followed that decision (I restrained, booing own team is not my thing).

The better team won. Robbie Fruean is a freak. Reminds me of Jonah Lomu. And yeah, Tommy Carter had a nightmare of a game, not just in his involvement with Fruean, but a lot of other silly shit he will want to forget

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

jutsy +

Times thanked
< 64
So now it looks like genia will stay with the reds. Wtf is going on up north?
wilsonrob +

I am not bored

Times thanked
< 344
^ This doesn't reflect good on anyone.

Yea we thought the kick for goal was a strange option too. Tactically the Waratahs were found wanting all game, in particular Barnes' kicking was ineffectual and aimless.
Page 1 of 14

« Previous Thread Next Thread »