Anyone on ITM work in Radiology?

Tools
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49
Anyone on ITM work in Radiology?
Hi all,

I'm going to study Medical Radiations next year (pending acceptance of course), but I cannot make up my mind which stream to go for. I was initially only looking at imaging but now I find that Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Therapy are very interesting also. Is there anyone on ITM that works in the field that could offer their views on what it's like actually working in Radiology?

I'm a patternmaker by trade and am currently studying a science bridging course to get the prerequisites needed for entry into the degrees (all I had was maths and english no science subjects). I am finding chemistry and physics most enjoyable. Biology not so much, but at the moment we are doing mostly cellular level stuff so maybe I will enjoy it more when we get to anatomy etc.

Speak up if you have any info at all really.

Thanks.
B_e_de +

It's more fun if you just follow the script

Times thanked
< 7,331
I have a few Radiohead albums if that helps
special ed +

spesh

Times thanked
< 3,004
nuclear...it's pronounced nuclear

i had an x-ray done when i broke my arm when i was 10 if that helps.

ITM is totes the first place id think of for Nuclear medicine advice btw
soundcloud
mixcloud
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49
Obviously I should have known better lol. ITM is my go to place for anything but music these days. I have done quite a bit of looking around on the web. Alot of OS information.
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
< 3,072
I think Radiology sounds super interesting. do it.

my friend has been doing it for years. no shortage of work it seems. although she has found that after a few years there is a limit to where you can go/earning potential etc.
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
< 3,178
I studied radio therapy at RMIT but dropped out, it's depressing as fuck.

For me personally.
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

I think Radiology sounds super interesting. do it.

my friend has been doing it for years. no shortage of work it seems. although she has found that after a few years there is a limit to where you can go/earning potential etc.

What exactly does your friend do? Radiation Therapy, Imaging?

Where does she work?
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer View Post

For me personally.

Thanks for the info. I see where your coming from.
mlirosi +

bangin 7gram rocks

Times thanked
< 3,155
someone dropped out because they found their uni course boring....well i never
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
< 3,178
Nah it was interesting, dealing with dying people constantly is not my cup of tea.
GoodLove +

likes this

Times thanked
< 3,759
Ive been told I've got a face for radiotherapy
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,313
Dying people smell funny.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds´╗┐ we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
< 3,072

Quote:

Originally Posted by defected819 View Post

What exactly does your friend do? Radiation Therapy, Imaging?

Where does she work?

radiation therapy @ Westmead.
Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
< 3,882

Quote:

For me personally.

Plus, major radiation leak resulted in a 9ft Slicy
(this is the only logical conclusion I have)
Ya baloney
Patopeaking +

iPato v3.03

Times thanked
< 4
My father is a Radiologist.
He owns Gammasonics.. www.Gammasonics.com

PM me if you want more info..
Resident Advisor Pics

http://www.consumeraware.com.au Consumers Review, Businesses Respond.
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
< 2,427
My wife works for a Radiology company so can ask her if she can get some info from the Radiologists.

I get a CT scan every two months. Had one yesterday so if you'd posted it yesterday I could have asked while I was in there. If you ask me, I can't imagine anything worse, I fucking hate spending half my life in those places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 1,013
I'm rad, so yes you could say I'm a Radiologist
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615 View Post

My wife works for a Radiology company so can ask her if she can get some info from the Radiologists.

I get a CT scan every two months. Had one yesterday so if you'd posted it yesterday I could have asked while I was in there. If you ask me, I can't imagine anything worse, I fucking hate spending half my life in those places.

Why do you need a CT scan every two months? That's quite a significant dosage of radiation to be receiving.

edit: You don't have to answer that.
airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
< 12,273

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLove View Post

I came in here to make that very joke, glad you beat me to it.
Unspoilt by Progress
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49
By the way guys a radiologist is a doctor. Different to radiation therapist, radiographer or nuclear medicine practitioner.
turkman +

khlav kalash

Times thanked
< 1,435

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLove View Post

If you mean the 'therapy' of bashing your face in with a radio then yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,446

Quote:

ITM is my go to place for anything but music these days.

try Whirlpool as well.
these words fill this space
shutaaarp +

Times thanked
< 1
patternmaker, hey... One hell of a switch ain't it?

Also try asking in vogue forums. Full of whiny women but useful when it comes to scoping that kind of info sometimes.
howzitgarn +

registered ****

Times thanked
< 52
Did radiation therapy at University of Newcastle. Didn't bother past first year because clinical placement makes you realise pretty quickly how much the job blows.

Really depressing but also incredibly boring. after the first two weeks of pretty much just lining patients up on a LINAC day in day out I was over it and couldn't imagine how people could do it their whole life.

Not to mention there's not really that many hospitals with radiation therapy facilities so the places where you can work are severely limited, and career progression is minimal to non-existent.

Quite a large number of people who were in my year swapped to diagnostic imaging and nuclear med which seemed to have higher attrition but i cant imagine it being really much different.

On the plus side though the graduate starting wage is pretty good ($75000 when i was studying it a good 6 years ago) but it doesnt really develop much from there unless you become the department head, which seemed to be the kinda promotion you only got when someone retired or died.
Bassfreqs
howzitgarn +

registered ****

Times thanked
< 52
Also just fyi you wont really need the bridging courses.

In the first year they'll pretty much teach you Musculo-skeletal anatomy and human bioscience as if you know nothing anyway, and the radiation physics you learn is pretty much just based on what you'd learn about exponential growth and decay and half-life's from 3-unit maths rather than a physics course.
Bassfreqs
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by howzitgarn View Post

Also just fyi you wont really need the bridging courses.

In the first year they'll pretty much teach you Musculo-skeletal anatomy and human bioscience as if you know nothing anyway, and the radiation physics you learn is pretty much just based on what you'd learn about exponential growth and decay and half-life's from 3-unit maths rather than a physics course.

Yeah I realize that they will cover most of what I am learning now again in 1st year of the degree. But I wouldn't even get a look in without the prerequisites. Only Monash and RMIT in Melbourne run a course so spots are limited.

Thanks for your view re your first post.
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
< 2,427

Quote:

Why do you need a CT scan every two months? That's quite a significant dosage of radiation to be receiving.

edit: You don't have to answer that.

Pathology fuckup when I had cancer. The first opinion said stage 1 with no vascular invasion so I decided on surveillance but a second opinion indicated that there was vascular invasion but I'd already gone past the cutoff time for starting adjuvant chemotherapy so they up'd my surveillance pretty dramatically. Been two years now and no sign of it coming back so looks like I got hammered for no reason. Not to mention the elevated leukemia risk. Fuckers
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615 View Post

Pathology fuckup when I had cancer. The first opinion said stage 1 with no vascular invasion so I decided on surveillance but a second opinion indicated that there was vascular invasion but I'd already gone past the cutoff time for starting adjuvant chemotherapy so they up'd my surveillance pretty dramatically. Been two years now and no sign of it coming back so looks like I got hammered for no reason. Not to mention the elevated leukemia risk. Fuckers

Sorry to hear that dude, that's a terrible situation to be in. I hope the cancer doesn't come back.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,417
My wife's a certified Radiographer.
Her experience is maybe a little different to howsitgarn, maybe because of location (in Sydney).

She's never been out of work at all, did Radiography for a few years and then joined a large Medical company doing Apps (post sales) in CT, then sales for ENT devices at another company before being Product Manager for CT back at the first one.

In my experience if you choose to do Radiography your whole life, that's your choice - like anything. But from what I see, after meeting several people in the field, there are plenty of opportunities for movement, with a far greater ability to earn $100k+ than most jobs.
base615 +

Times thanked
< 2,427

Quote:

Sorry to hear that dude, that's a terrible situation to be in. I hope the cancer doesn't come back.

Cheers, pretty sure it won't now. Extremely unlikely after the 2 year point

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
< 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

Her experience is maybe a little different to howsitgarn, maybe because of location (in Sydney).

She's never been out of work at all, did Radiography for a few years and then joined a large Medical company doing Apps (post sales) in CT, then sales for ENT devices at another company before being Product Manager for CT back at the first one.

In my experience if you choose to do Radiography your whole life, that's your choice - like anything. But from what I see, after meeting several people in the field, there are plenty of opportunities for movement, with a far greater ability to earn $100k+ than most jobs.

Wow she's doing well. Did your wife find all these opportunities in Australia?

edit: Sydney (durr)
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,417
Yep, all in Australia.

Not sure what the experience is like outside of Sydney, may be like howsitgarn said with slow/no advancement but that's the case at any public health gig.

I could definitely agree with him and it being boring in practice.

Once you have your degree and some experience behind you, make yourself known to the medical divisions of Toshiba, Phillips, Siemens, GE (all CT manufacturers). Their reps usually visit sites all the time for inspections, meetings etc.
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 2,007
Whitey, can your wife make me into spiderman?

(and lend me some cash?)
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,417
No, I'm too old to be Spidey now... And at 103 kgs I'm probably closer to the Hulk.

How much do you need? If you send me some cash via Western Union, it will allow me to get access to some funds Ive been promised in Nigeria, and as a sign of good faith I will share that loot with you.

If keen, PM me.
airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
< 12,273

Quote:

For me personally.

Admit it, you thought it was a course that would make you the next Kyle Sandilands
Unspoilt by Progress
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
< 3,072
First subject: how to act like a ****.

graduate.
Vital +

Times thanked
< 81

Quote:

I don't think it's a location thing. I have radiographer friends who studied in both Sydney and Newcastle and they're all employed in Australia and around the world. Except one friend who married a Swede and he can't practice there but he flies to London when he needs work.

The good thing about working in a medical field is that despite GFCs people always get sick and there's always good paying work. One freind of mine went to post grad study and is an MRI scanner (I'm sure there's a title for that) and she has a pretty sweet lifestyle. Good coin, time to travel at least once a year and the work's interesting.

Having said that, you do need to be able to deal with seeing sick people. I hear stories about 3 month old babies riddled with cancer which isn't something I could handle. But as a radiographer you'll never actually have to be the person who tells the family or perform a diagnosis. That's for the radiologist. Off the top of my head I can name 7 radiographers I know and none of them regret their decision or have left the profession.

Fixing radios is good work, don't be discouraged.
howzitgarn +

registered ****

Times thanked
< 52

Quote:

id say its probably because a radiographer is a completely different profession to radiation therapist more likely

radiographer/nuclear medicine = doing scans and exploratory diagnostic and imaging work
radiation therapist = planning and then providing treatment for cancer (although a lot is just palliative so people die slightly less painfully) via firing targeted high-energy photon beams using one of these:
Bassfreqs

Last edited by howzitgarn: 28-Apr-12 at 03:34pm

« Previous Thread Next Thread »