Current Affairs and Politics

Tell me qanda qanda qanda

Page 3 of 3
  Tools
EeeeeeeJ +

Times thanked
< 19
When Rudd was first elected Prime Minister, the Liberal Paty and Nationals together had a majority in the Senate. To get any Bill through Parliament, you needed somebody in those two parties to support it.

When the new Senate was formed, those two parties could no longer form a majority. If the Labor Party, the Greens and both independent Senators supported a Bill, it passed.

The ETS Bill did not have the support of all of the independents so needed support from either the Liberal Party or the Nationals.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardo View Post

Bob Brown is a nutter that was given a light touch by the q and a love media. Seriously, the abc couldn't be more blatantly biased if they tried. If I were them, then I wouldn't be provoking massive funding cuts following the coalition victory. They sure are asking for it. Very silly. I'm increasingly thinking we need to encourage more private competitors in Australian media and less of this taxpayer funded leftist propaganda. I don't way to pay for a network that spews out a bob brown love fest like this week. What a low point.

There's one public broadcaster and three private.

And there were more pointedly barbed questions to him than brown nosing ones. Amazing how you can reconstruct your reality to suit your bias.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

If I were them, then I wouldn't be provoking massive funding cuts following the coalition victory. They sure are asking for it. Very silly. I'm increasingly thinking we need to encourage more private competitors in Australian media and less of this taxpayer funded leftist propaganda. I don't way to pay for a network that spews out a bob brown love fest like this week. What a low point.

So, what you are saying is, if you were in their shoes you would be interfering with their editorial content. Let's hope the LNP don't think the way you do, because that is, actually, what facist governments do.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

So, what you are saying is, if you were in their shoes you would be interfering with their editorial content. Let's hope the LNP don't think the way you do, because that is, actually, what facist governments do.

Godwin's law alarm bells are ringing.
phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowkeyandnude View Post

He is suggesting that people be represented at a UN type organisation, rather than governments being the representatives at those organisations. Pretty sure the Syrians would agree with him.

I am suggesting that his idea is retarded and will never take off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

See what I think he meant was that he would pull the funding rug out from beneath their feet and sell their assets to the highest bidder. Because that is, actually, what fiscally conservative governments do.

Last edited by phoneyhuh: 25-Apr-12 at 09:23pm

lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106

Quote:

Bob Brown is a nutter that was given a light touch by the q and a love media. Seriously, the abc couldn't be more blatantly biased if they tried. If I were them, then I wouldn't be provoking massive funding cuts following the coalition victory. They sure are asking for it. Very silly. I'm increasingly thinking we need to encourage more private competitors in Australian media and less of this taxpayer funded leftist propaganda. I don't way to pay for a network that spews out a bob brown love fest like this week. What a low point.

You are just hilarious...not content with the dominance of commercial television and radio with right wing commentators you want to shut down any voices from the other side...or even from the middle? Its just slightly fascist.

What position is currently under represented on TV and radio that would allow another private competitor? There most certainly isnt an under supply of right wing nutjobs on commercial TV and Radio already. Andrew Bolt , Piers Ackerman , Miranda Devine , Janet Albrechtsen , Alan Jones , Steve Price , John Laws , Chris Smith. So you want another commercial channel cause you dont get enough stories by A Current Affair on the latest technology push up bras?

Everyone pays for commercial TV...its not really "free to air"...there is subsidised spectrum, government funds to upgrade to digital, licence fee rebates - we Australian taxpayers pay nearly as much for the “free” to air broadcasters each year as we do the ABC. Then there are the costs imposed on us that are built into advertising budgets. The thing that makes commercial television run...advertising...costs you money every time you buy something that is advertised.
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375

...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
< 580

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkdogz View Post

There's one public broadcaster and three private.

Apologies for nitpicking, but there are two public broadcasters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby View Post

Needs more Prog imo.

My SoundCloud
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
< 3,072
every time I see this thread title I get that song in my head.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onijin View Post

Apologies for nitpicking, but there are two public broadcasters.

ABC is the only fully government funded one.
Davomaxi +

No. Money Down!

Times thanked
< 1,084
The biggest shame is a man with the towering charisma of Bobby Brown won't be in the media eye anymore. Perhaps he can nab a gardening show on SBS or something though?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I killed all my family because they wouldn't suck my dick.

Medium Rurrrr!

See my blog http://ecentreofexcellence.blogspot.com.au/
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106
^ Could be called "Growing Green" but it would have to be based in Adelaide
studio stuff for sale

...latest releases...

Nardo +

nobody's fault but yours

Times thanked
< 35
I'd scrap the abc entirely and deregulate media. If consumers want left wing media then I'm sure there is an entrepreneur out there that's willing to provide it.

Maybe there's a left leaning rich guy like graham wood. Maybe, but in my experience most left wingers are the type who whinge rather that actually achieve something. This is why public funding is gobbled up by the left for dear life. They are useless without it.

You can argue that the right has news ltd. sure. Welcome to capitalism. If you don't like it, start as small media company and grow it. Quit whinging about it.

Taxpayer funds going towards a left wing editorial bias is just plain inappropriate. It's the north Korean model. Funny you cant see it.

Yet I'm a fascist apparently. Yeah people like me who argue for media deregulation, free speech and small government are fascists.

Keep up the fight comrades.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 103

Quote:

I'd scrap the abc entirely and deregulate media. If consumers want left wing media then I'm sure there is an entrepreneur out there that's willing to provide it.

Maybe there's a left leaning rich guy like graham wood. Maybe, but in my experience most left wingers are the type who whinge rather that actually achieve something. This is why public funding is gobbled up by the left for dear life. They are useless without it.

You can argue that the right has news ltd. sure. Welcome to capitalism. If you don't like it, start as small media company and grow it. Quit whinging about it.

Taxpayer funds going towards a left wing editorial bias is just plain inappropriate. It's the north Korean model. Funny you cant see it.

Yet I'm a fascist apparently. Yeah people like me who argue for media deregulation, free speech and small government are fascists.

That's a pretty good rant. I must say it is refreshing to see some balance in this forum.
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106
If you were to ban all advertising I'd consider your proposal.

But how would you ensure political bias doesn't just turn TV and media into a method of exerting influence on government?

Oh that's right...it's buying influence on government that you are trying to encourage.

I take it you haven't been following the recent revelations about the collapse of news ltd's bid to take over BskyB for £9.3Billion? I guess you think it's ok for media empires to collude with politicians? The politician gets editorial support...the media mogul gets power and £££s. the public gets deceived.

You know Nardo, you should try visiting a scandinavian country sometime. You'll see that ideas of the left aren't as scary as you think. Publicly funded media, schools and hospitals are not the heinous crimes against humanity you make out

Last edited by lowkeyandnude: 26-Apr-12 at 11:27pm

CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 2,021

Quote:

yeah ok then

ABC Managing Director Mark Scott was appointed pre Labor Government.

Chairman James Spigelman was appointed last month. I'm guessing you've noticed a significant move towards the Left since then?

also, you have no idea the lengths they go to to ensure political balance at the ABC.
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760
Because media in this country is so heavily regulated.
claude glass +

Times thanked
< 760

Quote:

You're not a fascist, you're just very confused.
horst +

Times thanked
< 438
Last nights "I can change your mind about climate change" was pretty unsatisfying, maybe expecting a conclusion was expecting too much.
But Ben Goldacre pretty much summed it up: "I'd rather slam my dick in a door than have this discussion"

Better yet: Michael Ashley on 'the conversation'
https://theconversation.edu.au/i-can...elsewhere-6558

I fell asleep during the QandA session
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

Times thanked
< 2,922
the bit i enjoyed the most was the 'it is a monday' tweet
This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,718

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

yeah ok then

ABC Managing Director Mark Scott was appointed pre Labor Government.

Chairman James Spigelman was appointed last month. I'm guessing you've noticed a significant move towards the Left since then?

also, you have no idea the lengths they go to to ensure political balance at the ABC.

This.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488

Quote:

You know Nardo, you should try visiting a scandinavian country sometime. You'll see that ideas of the left aren't as scary as you think. Publicly funded media, schools and hospitals are not the heinous crimes against humanity you make out

Oh come on, Scandinavia's not such a Utopia, I mean look at Norway, it's bred nutters like Anders Brevik and Varg Vikernes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106
^two nutters...neither of them from the left.
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

Oh come on, Scandinavia's not such a Utopia, I mean look at Norway, it's bred nutters like Anders Brevik and Varg Vikernes...

And look at places like Denmark.

Free university education for all residents and members of the EU.... but all classes are taught in Danish.

Some utopia, they can't even teach in English.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488

Quote:

^two nutters...neither of them from the left.

Christ this place really needs a sarcasm icon, that was precisely my point, they're both far-right nutbags.

Quote:

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,914

Quote:

I like the ABC because it's politically based programs are the only ones on television with representative debate that's to my mind inherently without agenda (other than that of the pollies on there)... If I wanted to see biased, poorly researched, alarmist waffle, i'd watch Sunday Night or Andrew Bolt.

You've failed to convince me that state run = left bias = communism Nardo. I just don't see it.
CheelWinston +

not a cop

Times thanked
< 2,021
Getup members need to remember to limit their bucket bong intake to less than 5 in the hour preceding TV appearances
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106

Sophie looks disgusted...
studio stuff for sale

...latest releases...

buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
Get up = fall down
Abziie +

Times thanked
< 59

Quote:

Not sure if I agree with this. I think the ABC has its place but I probably would agree with the statement that the ABC is making too much shit of a commercial nature which is just denying someone else from making a few bucks.
TrainsPillsBreaks +

Times thanked
< 22

Quote:

That is the argument of a moron.

Quote:

It isn't. You are stupid.

My work here is done.
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391

Quote:

Maybe, but in my experience most left wingers are the type who whinge rather that actually achieve something.

what talk back radio huh? biggest pack of whining blouses that ever walked.
liberabit +

Times thanked
< 2,922
bumping this cause Clive Palmer and Bob Katter are on Q&A tonight, should be interesting
This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
oh shitballs.... this is going to be hilarious.

I wonder how long I'll last before I turn it off instead of embedding a remote/phone into the TV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,488
It's delivering so far, Clive is hilarious and Katter is as mad as a cut snake.

Quote:

Quote:

Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
Hashtag krazykatter... Doit.

Palmer... Wow, do you not get it.

Katter now advocating closing 457.
liberabit +

Times thanked
< 2,922
can't belive I actually agreed with Clive on a point or two, just in general. but on the whole those two made me thankful for the major parties.

-ed- also, does anyone know if Palmers party has been registered by the AEC yet? was just checking the news but couldn't find any confirmation of it.

Last edited by liberabit: 14-May-13 at 09:10am

legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

-ed- also, does anyone know if Palmers party has been registered by the AEC yet? was just checking the news but couldn't find any confirmation of it.

First the AEC has to confirm that the application is valid - once that is done, it will be advertised here:

http://www.aec.gov.au/Parties_and_Re...ions/index.htm
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
sydney3000 +

Times thanked
< 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

Katter now advocating closing 457.

If you love foreigners so much why don't you emigrate? It is more efficient for you to move there instead of them to move here.
austraboy +

I like toast

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

Originally Posted by sydney3000 View Post

If you love foreigners so much why don't you emigrate? It is more efficient for you to move there instead of them to move here.

derp
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205

Quote:

Originally Posted by sydney3000 View Post

Why don't we just setup complete protectionist policy because it'd be far easier to build everything ourselves.
sydney3000 +

Times thanked
< 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

Why don't we just setup complete protectionist policy because it'd be far easier to build everything ourselves.

I disagree. It is time to open the border entirely and let ALL Australians experience the benefits of immigration.
liberabit +

Times thanked
< 2,922
yes, let's not take a balanced approach and admit that some industries may have skill shortages which could be helped with foreign workers, that's just too reasonable... much better to just go to extremes
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
I have no issues with that, but I do become frustrated at people touting that we don't need foreign workers when so many tasks are completely beneath the average Australian and some highly skilled professions are short skilled in Australia.

what I do object to is people abusing the system and companies using it to cheaply employ contract labour.

Glad to see the LAFHA was taken away from 457's last budget, but the result for our company was every 457 coming back to the company asking (demanding) that their take hope pay remains the same in light of the changes.

result - more payroll tax for the Fed's.

Quote:

Last edited by Bracko: 15-May-13 at 10:08am

liberabit +

Times thanked
< 2,922
I took post #140 as being sarcastic.

I was trying to point out there might be a middle ground between getting us flooded with foriegn workers, and completely shutting the borders (as Katter wants). There is some industries that really need to import people with skills, but it should be kept at a minimium. The issue is people feel 4457s are being expolited (which is prob true) and being used to fill jobs locals could do. Would be good if people could realise that and not jump to the extreme of wanting them all banned.
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,205
it was. more a ludicrous response to Sydney's ludicrous post.

Quote:

sydney3000 +

Times thanked
< 22
It wasn't ludicrous. Australia is haemorrhaging from poor 2% growth. To beat China with its 7% growth Australia must put in 14% growth at a minimum. The only way to get there is to open the borders and let the high IQ foreigners in so that low IQ Australians are made irrelevant.
Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
< 379
ABC is left wing? Since when? The Drum may as well be called the IPA propaganda hour.

Oh right, the ABC is "left wing" because when Liberal Politicians aren't given a script to work with, they come out as complete and utter fucking morons. Last time I watched, Labor and Green politicans get smashed on the ABC as well, even harder usually because the ABC usually tries to make up for the fact that most righties think the ABC is Pravda.

http://people.anu.edu.au/andrew.leig...MediaSlant.pdf
Study also finds that ABC leans to the right.

I find it strange that in this country, like the US, center right has not become far-left. I thought Australians who have an actual long history of Labour and class warfare would be smarter than this.

Also QandA is a piece of shit show. It's a "debate" show where no facts are backed up, no arguments really occur and both sides just spout their propaganda while the crowd is obviously stacked with Young Liberals. Awful show, awful content, the ABC could do a lot better.
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
Fangoriously +

Fusion Aerodynamical Science

Times thanked
< 1,181
It's stacked with some pretty fucking horrible folks, it's true.

Though for every Young Liberal stooge there are also some fucking retards - the dickhead who stood up claiming to represent Anonymous that one time still makes me inwardly cringe.
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
Page 3 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »