Melbourne

Fluidlife Lunar Pres. TSUBA Records Tour | Kevin Griffiths - Fri APR 20 - 161

All About:

All About

+Follow

Add Follows

Stay informed about your favourite artists and events. We'll email you whenever there is new events, news or content posted about your favourite things. Simply select those you want to be notified about View my Follows |  Follow Settings

• onesixone 161 High St Prahran
  • Luke MCD
  • Lister Cooray
  • Nikko
  • Darius Bassiray
  • Kevin Griffiths
  • Jon Beta
Cancel Finish

Description:

Fluidlife continues to push boundaries in the Australian Underground Clubshow market – Fri Apr 20 plays host to one of THE most respected record labels and artists on the planet – Tsuba Records with Kevin Griffiths!

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
Fluidlife +

EASTER WEEKENDER!

Times thanked
< 167
Nice Interview there WADZA!

Stay tuned today all - i'll be uploading kev's AUSTRALIA TOUR 2012 MIX to get get all your TSUBA JUICES FLOWING!!
fluidlife

Website / Fluidlife FB
Souncloud

fluidlife:only // http://www.fluidlifeonly.tumblr.com
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
< 427
Hey, Mic Newman just turned up in Hernan Cattaneo's latest radio show !!
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-

BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing
Fluidlife +

EASTER WEEKENDER!

Times thanked
< 167
Mic is doing awesome things in music at the moment - we'll hear him in action live on Friday!
fluidlife

Website / Fluidlife FB
Souncloud

Fluidlife +

EASTER WEEKENDER!

Times thanked
< 167
Kevin Griffiths - TSUBA Records Australia Tour 2012 Promo Mix
BANG!

fluidlife

Website / Fluidlife FB
Souncloud

DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
< 427
Love it when Djs put up their mixes in great quality.

liquid light +

ebb&flo ft. Gavin Martin

Times thanked
< 39
Bring on Friday!
ebb&flo / Fluidlife

Sep 14 - Fluidlife Lunar ft. Luke Fair
Sep 21 - Hernan Cattaneo
Sep 23 - Fluidlife Solar ft. SIS
Oct 05 - Fluidlife Lunar ft. Andre Lodemann

The Balance Podcast launches October 2012 with the worlds leading artists...

W: www.fluidlife.net
E: lister@fluidlife.net
hurley18 +

Ticket Inspector

Times thanked
< 206
are names needed for guestlist?
Fluidlife +

EASTER WEEKENDER!

Times thanked
< 167
Hi mate,

general guest list entry using 'Fluidlife' will get you through on the $15 guest list. Names are handy for us if you thinking of coming through late - we've been rammed by 1am last two gigs so advisable to get there early if poss.

Set times are being posted up on Wednesday.

See you Friday
fluidlife

Website / Fluidlife FB
Souncloud

Walter_Juan +

I like the noise it makes

Times thanked
< 76
Interview here on Symbiosis blog:
http://symbiosis.com.au/2012/04/writ...-to-australia/

What’s happening at the moment?
Frantically trying to get everything done this week before I leave for the tour! I do pretty much everything at the label so I’m always running around like a lunatic.

You celebrated the 5th anniversary of Tsuba last year. What achievement have you been most proud of in that time?
I guess building something from scratch has been quite an achievement. I’m really happy how the label is presented, the music, design, parties so that all makes me proud.

There is a great visual identity to your label and I notice that you just refreshed it recently. That branding and unity to your label output is really important I think. Do you work with one designer in particular or do you steer it?
It’s really important for me personally and in general these days labels need a very strong identity to stand out.
I work with two designers, Pablo Gargano who does Tsuba Colours and Tsuba Limited and Sam Renwick who came up with the new identity. We had long discussions last year about how the label should look & I really wanted vibrant colour and Vinyl to be key features so Sam totally nailed it with the geometric design centred around a Vinyl 12” label.
This also coincided with the new website, which is quite stripped back and clean to let the sleeves provide the colour. Tsuba Limited is more lo-fi and I source all the images which I love doing. I have no practical experience of how to do art or design, but have a very clear idea of how I want things to look.

You started the Tsuba warehouse parties in Feb this year and the next one is in May. I have heard from friends in London that there is a real push to go back to these types of venues again. Why did you decide to start doing them?
These days its important for labels to do parties to showcase what you’re about and make your brand come alive. It’s also a good excuse for a get together with the artists and every party is always a lot of fun. The Feb one was off the hook and despite the freezing conditions outside (- people went totally nuts for it.

Is the warehouse party part of a push to make Tsuba more of a platform, rather than just a label? With the state of the industry I imagine that’s important.
Yeah I think so, I’ll always be more into running the label than being a club promoter but I work with a really good guy who also does events for 20:20 vision and poker flat so he brings a lot of expertise and finds these amazing venues.

I know you had a lot of experience in the industry before starting Tsuba but I’m interested to know whether there have been hard lessons learnt since you started?
I guess I’ve been quite fortunate generally, my original distributor went bust owing me money, but apart from that I’ve not been burnt too badly.

If you could go back and give yourself one piece of advice, what would it be?
Good question. Probably to have started an agency a long time ago, as that’s the missing piece of the jigsaw.

You just released the first album on Tsuba. Was it a big decision to go in that direction?
It was. Its something I’d not done before, so that always makes life interesting, and the music of Tazz really leant itself to something more than a single or EP and I’ll definitely be doing it again.

You’re a regular visitor to Australia so I was wondering if you have much contact with Australian musicians or fans? Any special surprises in store for us this time around?
My wife is Australian so she’s my number one fan . I’m in touch with the Subtrakt guys in Brisbane all the time, we get along famously and have a mutual love of deep house. These days the geography is not so important with skype and all the social networks. I genuinely think some of the best music is coming from Australia at present with mic newman, the carter bros, tornado Wallace. I’m really looking forward to the tour and have many new Tsuba releases to play, music that no-one else has which helps to give me a unique sound.

What are your top 5 tracks right now?
B Tracks ‘Specialize’ (Supply Records)
Okain ‘O’Clock’ (Gerd’s Deep Mix) (Tsuba)
Norm Talley ‘Innerpeace’ (TMR Classics US)
Creative Swing Alliance ‘Mother Water’ (Tsuba Limited)
Drake & Griffiths ‘Steady One’ (White)

What’s coming up this year for you and for Tsuba?
I’ve got another Tsuba warehouse party on 12th May with Steffi and Huxley so very excited about that. On the production front I’ve just finished a new EP with Justin Drake which I’m really happy with. Then on Tsuba lots of releases, with EP’s from Quell and Okain (plus a killer Gerd mix), a new single from Sascha Dive on Tsuba colours with an unbelievable mix from Virgo Four and then on Tsuba Limited, the vinyl only label, Milton Jackson and Creative Swing Alliance have fantastic EPs, so 2012 is another busy one.
A new sample heavy house mix from me that's deep, melodic, druggy and full of tech....have a listen!
Miza101 +

Times thanked
< 131
Tsuba.Newman.Griffiths.Fluidlife.Sharpys.Bday..... .Silly
[REWORK]
http://soundcloud.com/miza-3
Incoming:
Burning Man @ Digital Apex Stage
Strawberry Fields
jon beta +

Times thanked
< 29
Here's the latest release on Tsuba - Expect it to get dropped in a big way on the 161 dancefloor

Mic absoloutely nailed it!

Media Player
YouTube
Upcoming Events

ebb&flo 3rd Dimension Birthday - Jon Beta + Nikko + Lister Cooray 9+ hours
Sat August 10 @ Loop
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
< 427
^^ That's the one on the radio show !!

Walter_Juan +

Times thanked
< 76
Check out Kevin's Top 5's:
http://everguide.com.au/music/clubs-...a-records.aspx
A new sample heavy house mix from me that's deep, melodic, druggy and full of tech....have a listen!
Zeph +

Times thanked
< 1
Am I blind or have the set times not been posted? :O

Looking foward to tonight
Fluidlife +

EASTER WEEKENDER!

Times thanked
< 167
Set Times:

Roof

18.00 - 00.00 - Rework

Jay Ueta (Beef Records, Tramp Bar)
One Of Us
Miza
Eduardo Salguero
Milos M
Retza

Main

21.00 - 23.00 - ebb&flo
23.00 - 01.00 - Mic Newman
01.00 - 03.00 - KEVIN GRIFFITHS
03.00 - 04.30 - Darius Bassiray
04.30 - Close - Richie Isaac

Basement

22.00 - 07.00 - Smash Bang Records
fluidlife

Website / Fluidlife FB
Souncloud

Walter_Juan +

Times thanked
< 76
Getting geared up for tonight! Check here for Kevin's current Top 10 on Melbourne Deepcast site:

http://www.melbournedeepcast.net/new...10-in-his-bag/
Fluidlife +

EASTER WEEKENDER!

Times thanked
< 167
Apologies for the delay in thanks - it's taken me this long to recover!!!

On behalf of Fluidlife, Tsuba Records & The main man Mr Griffiths, thank you to those who made it down to Fluidlife Lunar last Friday. Kev had an awesome night and repeatedly commented on how much he loved the OneSixOne venue and sound.

A big thanks to Mic Newman who played a cracker of a warm up for Kev - brilliantly deep and showed his professional colours perfectly. A massive thanks goes out to the rest of the Fluidlife team, the Rework boys and of course Timmus & McD and their legendary 9hrs of Smash Bang in the basement on Friday.

Big love.
fluidlife

Website / Fluidlife FB
Souncloud

slatts69 +

Times thanked
< 821
Good to hear the night went well mate! Shattered I couldn't get down

DJ GIGS:
DARKBEAT pres:

FLYING CIRCUS [15hr Day/Night - ROOFTOP Party]