The "What Camera Should I Buy?" Thread

Page 2 of 4
  Tools
Bender +

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

S100 is an awesome P&S. It actually beats the G12 for quality if you don't need dials for manual controls & a hotshoe

also the G1X is out now which is replaced the G12. Way too much camera to replace an IXUS though. If the S100 is too much then why not a current model IXUS?

Yeah current Ixus may be the way to go. The one she has now is pretty shit though. The lens won't retract properly.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.
People can do the work, so that machines have time to think.
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,005
Can vouch for the S100. I have the S95 which is essentially the same camera, best compact I have ever used, hands down. Really impressive how good the camera is in low light considering the tiny sensor. Worth paying the extra.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,647
Even though they're quite similar on the outside the S100 is significantly different to the S95 on the inside. It has a Digic5 processor & a new sensor among many other things

nothing wrong with the S95 though. It was essentially a G12 that fit in your pocket without the manual dials & crap
Sid Ferret +

Times thanked
< 24
Okay so I've been really inspired by this timelapse vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/39145634

The guys using a Nikon D5100 and its pretty much sold to me already.

Is this a good camera to go for for my first digital SLR? Any others I should consider?

Would it be best to go for the body and get a lense seperately or shoud I go for an all inclusive deal?

Thanks for any advice.
van_tango +

someone like you

Times thanked
< 13
Hey all.
Was thinking about getting an Olympus EP-3 with 14-42mm II Lens + 40-150R MSC Zoom Lenses this week and wanted to know if it was a good choice.
I picked it because it looks *super* cool, seems to have pretty good reviews.
I have never owned anything even close a decent camera (or even any SLR) before so I am excited to be able to take photos that don't look terrible.
I've faith there is a future for us;
here as we are, or somewhere else.
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,327
I've you've never owned a camera before and you're keen to learn about photography whilst not getting too serious then the EP-3 is perfect.

I pretty much went down the same road, grabbing the EP-1 when it launched and I still use it daily, love it and it's super portable!
DirtyKnees +

Times thanked
< 419
Im looking at buying a new camera (well my mum wants to get me one for my birthday) I've been using them since i was about 8, havent had (a decent) one in a while, was looking along the lines of a medium/smallish dslr or something similar so it isn't a mission to transport. I've been looking at MILC / EVIL cameras but they look a little pricey.
hubris +

Times thanked
< 12
Hi i'm back. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 is awesome, thanks for the encouragement of purchase. So compact and hard to take a shit photo.

I now want an slr, will look to purchase over next 3 months. People are telling me Canon 5D.. is this over kill for somebody that knows nothing about photos? I don't want to over-do it but i don't want to be re-purchasing in baby steps as that seems expensive. Are all the 5ds the same or is latest model best? What camera are you using?

I intend on taking photos of my family primarily, but inner/outter environments too. Night time party photography not important at all.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,647
5D classic will be a step down from your panasonic. 5D mark 2 or 3 will be massive overkill for you. Try a 650D

any reason you want an SLR? Do you think it will take better photos than the panasonic? Coz it won't really
hubris +

Times thanked
< 12
are u sure a 5D Mark II would not take better photos? yep thats def why i want an SLR, to take moodier more creative photos, and to take my time learning how to wrangle one. I'm a little time poor so it will take me a long while

why is it overkill?? not disputing this just wondering
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,647
the fact that you have to ask is statement in itself that it's overkill

5D line have full frame sensors. they're generally sitting in the gap between consumer & pro bodies but more leaning towards pro. They have features you'll never need and tbh you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the photos. You'd be far better off getting a lower current model and spending more on lenses.

A different camera will not help you take moodier more creative photos. That can be done with any old piece of crap + some editing. Creativity comes from the person behind the camera, not the equipment.

ftr i own a 5D mark II & mark III. Have owned a 40D & a 1D mark IIN. People pay me money to take photos. My gear is to get the best results i can for them. They don't employ be because of my gear. Plenty of pros use lesser gear and achieve great results
hubris +

Times thanked
< 12
Great points here. def need to familiarize myself with editing. Is photoshop what all you peeps use? (i know i soooooooo know nothing but i need to clear because i'd hate to buy something overkill) . made that mistake with laptops before when only need pdf reader, internet and microsoft word) =p

i have no idea about lenses. :/ i'll go do some Wikipedia and sking around and come back with my next set of n00b questions
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 315
the main benefits of going to an slr would be - greater variety of lenses (focal lengths and brands), common filter sizes and low light performance (tho you said this isnt a must, it will still help alot with indoor family photos). one thing i did find with the gf3 was even in full manual mode it limited certain settings and from memory it only went down to f8 which can be rather stifling for slow shutter landscapes (re: "outer enviros").
tho as niz said, if youre looking at just making more "moody" photos then the vignetting tool in lightroom is all you need :p
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
hubris +

Times thanked
< 12
Is vignetting whre the outside bit is darker? I noticed that looks good! Thanks for the easy to understand tips. Def getting an slr, my gun photographer pal said shed show me how to operate one. Which is a start but obviously doesnt mean i would have any talent! Will reoprt back with more questions
hubris +

Times thanked
< 12
Okay leaning toward the Canon 7D and Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG MACRO lense.

Thoughts?
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
looking for a new compact camera... should I be going down the route of CSC/micro 4/3's or something like a Panasonic's LX7 or Nikon P7700?

camera will most likely end up also being used for underwater photography as well as holiday snaps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
well you ****s are no help at all ( )

P7700 is still not out and I'm guessing the model specific underwater cases won't be available until after I go away. so it's a toss up between the G12 of P7100 I think.

the Canon case doesn't utilise front wheel and the after-market cases are ridiculously expensive (+$1,000) where as the fantasea case for the Nikon is reasonable.

Quote:

Last edited by Bracko: 24-Sep-12 at 01:18pm

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,647
how deep are you going? what about a D20 http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/Digi.../PowerShot-D20
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
nah, gotta be a marine case. 40m+

Quote:

horst +

Times thanked
< 407
No, Maximum aperture F3.9 - F4.8, it's an insult to the D10.
The D10 was really the only camera to date which filled the gap between those "sports" cameras and a camera in an underwater case, it was an excellent compromise, and a lot of people were itching for the D20 to be even more underwater capable, but at F/3.9 at the wide end it's pretty much useless there.

Bracko, just looking at the LX7, didn't even know it was out, it's f/ratio is F1.4-2.3, which is freaking crazy, you'd be able to take pictures in near darkness with that without using a flash (which is useless anyway because all they do is produce "snow" underwater)

Last edited by horst: 24-Sep-12 at 06:12pm

Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
Looks the goods... Just need a marine case for it before december!
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
Hmmm... The lx7 is only just out, hence no case. I currently have a FS3 for underwater and really like Panasonic but the 7100 seems to be a great travelling camera as well.

I might email ikalite, panasonic and fantasea to see if they intend on bring out a case soon.
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 315
been reading up on the p7700 and id say its def. worth the wait, speshly if you dont need it till the end of the year. if only they stuck a bigger sensor in, i would upgrade from the p7k in a flash. in general tho, the p7k has been a great travel partner to my dslr. iq is a bit average but being able to dial in settings when necessary has saved me many times and the hotshoe is always a bonus for some on the fly creative lighting.

the g1x is a decent bit of kit but it lacks a couple of the things that i like in a pns, long zoom, good macro mode, built in lens cap. better lowlight handling with that big sensor wouldnt go astray either.

if youre holding out, apparently the g15 (dont know what happened to the 13 and 14) is releasing soon, pretty much same spec but shorter zoom. thats if you had any penchant for canon.

ps., i never look at sticky threads, its like auto pilot to just scroll past them lol
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
horst +

Times thanked
< 407
What about the canon s100? Very compact, which means the waterproof case will be smaller as well, and it has a fast lens, I note the s110 is out but all it adds is a touchscreen, woopeedoo.
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
Yeah, i fly out on the 8th of Dec... Have emailed the contact addresses of above companies.

The canon is apparently shocking for macro compared to the g12, so even with the bigger sensor it's off the list. G15 is in the background as i like the g12 i bought the olds.... Nikon for no real reason other than it has good reviews, i like my D90... Could easily buy Panasonic again, canon or nikon.
thomo78 +

Times thanked
< 16
*Moved to New Lens thread*

Last edited by thomo78: 01-Oct-12 at 08:37pm

Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
There's a 'new lens' thread which gets more traffic, they that.
horst +

Times thanked
< 407

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

Yeah, i fly out on the 8th of Dec... Have emailed the contact addresses of above companies.

The canon is apparently shocking for macro compared to the g12, so even with the bigger sensor it's off the list. G15 is in the background as i like the g12 i bought the olds.... Nikon for no real reason other than it has good reviews, i like my D90... Could easily buy Panasonic again, canon or nikon.

Here we go Bracko
Olympus TG-1
http://www.dpreview.com/products/oly...mpacts/oly_tg1

f2 lens at the wide end, waterproof to 12m naked (but olympus make a case for it that goes to 45m) also available are a bolt on fisheye and teleconvertor which are both also waterproof.
This is what the canon was supposed to be like, and looks like my next camera.
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
I've never been impressed with the optics of an Olympus camera to be honest.....

My 5 yo Panasonic FS3 still takes optically better photos than far newer Olympus cameras that cost significantly more. Happy to eat my words though.

Quote:

Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,397
Anyone have any pro-tips for a sub $250 P&S?
That camera I won (Fuji S4200) has a fucked flash, so I told them I want to replace it for a different brand.

Something a lot smaller, that doesn't have a wanky 24x zoom with TERRIBLE (at best) noise on anything other 400.
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
S100 on a grey import?
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,397
It'll need to be swapped in-store, so import is out.
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 315
lumix ft20 looks about on the money for versatility and practicality

bought the little lady the ft4 and its great, waterproof and shock proof. not sure the differences between that and the 20 tho.
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
Horst, the reviews aren't as glowing as I'd like on the TG-1

options are... the P7700 is out because Fantasea aren't going to build a case before april 2013. but the guy did email me back saying there will be a great deal with the P7100 camera/case bundle *soon* I've asked him how soon.

there IS a case out for the Panasonic LX7 but it's $1000 the camera is ~$500 which at $1500 I could buy the Ikalite for my D90 with a standard port to (I assume) fit my 18-55 f/2.8 (which is 82mm i think) or a dome to my 35mm f/1.8...

I think I'm going to just jump in and go the Nikon unit. assuming the price drop is reasonable I'd be saving up to $1000 against the other two options which is too significant seeing as I'm not out there every weekend diving anymore.

Quote:

Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,397

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pezman View Post

lumix ft20 looks about on the money for versatility and practicality

bought the little lady the ft4 and its great, waterproof and shock proof. not sure the differences between that and the 20 tho.

You were pretty on the money... but ended up going for;
http://www.camerahouse.com.au/produc...ct-Camera.aspx

Traded to the bigger zoom and WIFI, instead of the waterproofing.
Nearly went the trusty Canon IXUS 125.... much as muchness though (it was 5x zoom, not 10x)

They're delivering the new one and collecting the broken one too
Not bad for a prize win.
NedBalkan +

Times thanked
< 0
I've always used Nikon... got a nikon D80 atm.

Looks like I'm moving over to gig photography/video so gonna need to upgrade my SLR.

Currently thinking Canon 7D... This is the top end of my budget I think.

Any better suggestions?
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
^^^ Nikon?

Who does the better video anyway?

Auto-focus in video-mode - if you're wanting it - is absolute rubbish on the 5D mkII and 7D, so be prepared for that. Not sure what/if they've got a handle on that yet with the 5D mkIII.
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
If you have Nikon lenses why would you switch?
Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
< 3,680
If you're shooting gigs in clubs and other venues I would stick with nikon. It handles the higher ISO soooooo much better (thats one of the reasons I moved from Canon to Nikon).
Ya baloney
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,647

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthykins View Post

If you're shooting gigs in clubs and other venues I would stick with nikon. It handles the higher ISO soooooo much better (thats one of the reasons I moved from Canon to Nikon).

wtf? every nikon camera i've used (and i've used a few very expensive ones) have shit high iso. Modern Canon bodies are amazing at high iso

have you seen what a D800 puts out above 3200? Nikon have always tended to focus on more normal iso levels done very very well. above that they deteriorate extremely fast
NedBalkan +

Times thanked
< 0
ive got a nikon d3200, but not sure if its good enough 4 professional video...
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
Entry level DLSR.

What lenses?

Edit: are you more interested in filming or pics?

Last edited by Bracko: 22-Oct-12 at 08:20am

autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

wtf? every nikon camera i've used (and i've used a few very expensive ones) have shit high iso. Modern Canon bodies are amazing at high iso

have you seen what a D800 puts out above 3200? Nikon have always tended to focus on more normal iso levels done very very well. above that they deteriorate extremely fast

Haha, man, I was shooting at 6400 last night on my d700. No worries.
EAD
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,647
i was shooting last week at 12800 on my 5D3. no worries
darkness? what darkness?
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,947
All I'm hearing is.... "My ISO wang is bigger than your ISO wang".

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,647
and that's all it is. when you compare them at the same resolution they all look pretty on par. D800 looks shitter at its native res due to eleventy billion pixels. lower end bodies degrade quite a lot more though
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206
On the flip side there is more detail to resolve from a d800 file after NR.

Regardless, until I get a thunderbolt cf reader and swap out my optical for hard drive and then grab a ssd for my mbp I don't think I will move to a d800.

Those files are big. Realised how big after I shot 900 photos over 16 performances last night. It's going to take me forever to move the files from my cf to my laptop via USB2.
EAD
NedBalkan +

Times thanked
< 0
I have a kit lens and nikon 55-300 i think.
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
< 315

Quote:

Originally Posted by NedBalkan View Post

ive got a nikon d3200, but not sure if its good enough 4 professional video...

seems like you might be in the mind set that "to be a pro you need pro equipment" which is so the wrong way to go about it. learn to be better than your equipment before getting better equipment.
i havent used a d3200 for video but from all reports it does a reasonable job. what gets me tho is if you really wanted pro video you wouldnt be wasting your time pretending on a slr, the slow manual focusing and panning gets tired real fast.

edit: kit lens and no wide angle for tight club spaces is the other half of your problem

ps. welcome to the forum
>picture|life
>pictr|flickr
>fan my fase
NedBalkan +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pezman View Post

seems like you might be in the mind set that "to be a pro you need pro equipment" which is so the wrong way to go about it. learn to be better than your equipment before getting better equipment.
i havent used a d3200 for video but from all reports it does a reasonable job. what gets me tho is if you really wanted pro video you wouldnt be wasting your time pretending on a slr, the slow manual focusing and panning gets tired real fast.

edit: kit lens and no wide angle for tight club spaces is the other half of your problem

ps. welcome to the forum

Thanks!
Page 2 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »