Current Affairs and Politics

Now is the Slipper of our discontent . . .

Tools
Abziie +

Times thanked
< 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

Yeah the superstar President arrives late to the summit, but like the White Knight just in time to save the day and the planet. China was never going to play along with that, and the Americans really didn’t have much substance to bring to the table.

As per wikileaks - the Chinese and the Americans were in cahoots. They conspired, up to 6 months before Copenhagen, to derail any binding targets. It was all just an elaborate charade. They were on the same side.
custaro +

Thirsty Critter

Times thanked
< 693

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

How the fuck they didn't get Cap'n'Trade through with a Democrat President and Democrat majority control of both houses I'll never know. How Pelosi and Reid both kept their Leadership positions says a lot about that fucking country.

Gillard had far worse conditions to get a Climate Change Bill through but she managed it (and yes, I know she has NFI about Climate Change and Zero Care Factor, but surely that makes it more remarkable that she got something through).

Democrats, unlike Labor politicians, don't face expulsion from the party for not toeing the line or crossing the floor. Admirable in some respects, painful when it comes to controversial or unpopular legislation. Pelosi and Reid were pretty well powerless to get the blue dogs into line.
you're in my hut now
horst +

Times thanked
< 427
ok lets nudge it back towards more Slipper

I should add, before anybody feels oppressed, that off topic discussion that lead from the topic are in the nature of the beast, so they are okay, just don't go overboard thanks

Last edited by horst: 24-Nov-11 at 06:01pm

Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726
So am I the only one that thinks Jenkins started this process back when he was prevented from naming a pollie and was saying he was done with the job?

I assume he just agreed to stick at the job while the Labor leadership convinced Slipper to take the role, and Mal Borough actively campaigning to kick Slipper out just finally gave her the leverage she needed.
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
horst +

Times thanked
< 427

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griggle View Post

So am I the only one that thinks Jenkins started this process back when he was prevented from naming a pollie and was saying he was done with the job?

I assume he just agreed to stick at the job while the Labor leadership convinced Slipper to take the role, and Mal Borough actively campaigning to kick Slipper out just finally gave her the leverage she needed.

I missed the naming polli business, when was that?
I think this is all Slippers work, if the Labor party had such magical convincing powers to make an opposition member resign his party then they wouldn't be looking so shabby to the electorate.
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
Around two months ago Bob Katter and Tony Windsor didn't attend the session.

Jenkins attempted to name Bob Baldwin for continually refusing to be silent when ordered.

Oakshot sided with the Coalition and they denied his power to do so and the Liberals were all laughing and talking up how the had won the day and making claims that this demonstrated Labor couldn't even control Parliament.

Jenkins then said "After question time I will be taking the time to consider my position.”

Abbot had the horrified realisation that if Jenkins resigned because of their juvenile antics Abbot could kiss the leadership goodbye (assuming Slipper chose to take the Speakership) and suddenly Abbot then offered anything but his arse to Jenkins to keep him on as Speaker.

Abbot goes on to make a giant speech about how much he respected Jenkins and thought he was the greatest Speaker of all time and then pushed through a motion of confidence in Jenkins as Speaker.

I totally think Jenkins went straight to the Labor leadership and said "Let's fuck that **** Abbot. Just make sure 100% that Slipper will take the Speakers position and I will resign and we can all laugh as he cries in Parliament."

Two months down the track, Operation: Make Abbot cry in Parliament goes ahead without a hitch.

The Canberra Press Club being a bunch of goldfish are surprised and never saw this coming but who here is really shocked that Australian Political Journo's are clueless about anything and everything political?

Link to the Story Every Australian Political Journalist Forgot.
horst +

Times thanked
< 427
How interesting, that does seem quite plausible, I was surprised that I didn't remember this but I see now that this was in May (which was when I was in Europe)
Cheers for the insight
gravyishot +

this stupid facebook bar at the bottom is for ****s

Times thanked
< 829
I like that story, Griggle.
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravyishot View Post

I like that story, Griggle.

+1

Front page of the Telegraph this morning was amusing.

I didn't realise until today that Slipper had actually resigned from the Liberals.

Really interesting move, Abbott must be pissed. Of course if Wilkie and that other one (Durant? God I can't remember) are angry maybe he can 'drop his pants" for them and get them on board.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,284
dont think he had a choice over whether to resign or not
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
Another thing that has amused me no end is so many reporters kept saying "Tony Abbot should fire Slipper from the Liberal Party"

Do you think someone should explain to them that Tony Abbot isn't actually the President of the Liberal Party so has no such powers? Oh wait we shouldn't have too, they are political reporters.......

trist +

too many years on ITM

Times thanked
< 277

Quote:

Another thing that has amused me no end is so many reporters kept saying "Tony Abbot should fire Slipper from the Liberal Party"

Do you think someone should explain to them that Tony Abbot isn't actually the President of the Liberal Party so has no such powers? Oh wait we shouldn't have too, they are political reporters.......

Really? Reporters have said that? Even the most green of Canberra political reporters must have known that if Slipper accepted the Speaker’s position in this Parliament he would be expelled from the Party. And anyway, he was a member of the LNP, not the Liberal Party as such.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
< 206

Quote:

The conservative commentators sudden hatchet job on Slipper today has been quite amusing too.

So he has been an endorsed Liberal party MP since 1993, was in the Nationals before then. He's now an independent, yet somehow him and his slippery rorting ways is now all of Labors fault and makes them look grubby?

I found this funny too, even though I have NFI what it has to do with...well anything really.

Quote:

In December 2002, Slipper felt the need to visit a lavatory during a parliamentary sitting. Somehow he found himself in the disabled toilet, and when he had completed his business, possibly tired and increasingly emotional, he couldn’t get out. He pushed and pulled at the door before hitting the panic button. Four parliamentary attendants hurried to his aid. Disabled toilets, it was explained to him, have sliding doors. When reporters sought comment, his office responded, apparently straight-faced: ‘’He can’t talk to you because he is in the House on chamber duty.’’

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...#ixzz1efHSwrgV

Last edited by phoneyhuh: 25-Nov-11 at 05:31pm

Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
Here's a thought....

Who did Slipper vote for in the Turnball backstabbing?

Did Abbot just lose his internal party majority too?
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,704

Quote:

Here's a thought....

Who did Slipper vote for in the Turnball backstabbing?

Did Abbot just lose his internal party majority too?

Surely Turnbull is the only potential candidate for the Liberal Leadership. He would at least stop the Libs from lending that ululating baffoon, Barnaby, any further legitimacy.
Fangoriously +

Fusion Aerodynamical Science

Times thanked
< 1,179
OK, I'm going to like that for 'ululating buffoon'.
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
EeeeeeeJ +

Times thanked
< 19
The sunday papers have the suggestion that the Liberal Party will try to get a criminal prosecution to stick on Slipper.

Quote:

The hope for the Coalition is that Mr Slipper has breached the laws on travel entitlements in a way that could lead to prosecution - although they concede that if there were evidence to trigger one, it probably would have emerged by now.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/sl...126-1o0hq.html

With Mary-Jo Fisher only having finished criminal proceedings and multiple police investigations not yet having led to criminal proceedings against Thompson, trying to bring criminal proceedings against someone else looks desperate. It sounds like there's plenty of dirt to throw but they must not think that it's sufficient to discredit the Speaker or Prime Minister.
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeeeeeeJ View Post

The sunday papers have the suggestion that the Liberal Party will try to get a criminal prosecution to stick on Slipper.

This is all proceeding on the completely bizarre suggestion that if Slipper rorted his travel expenses while he was a member of the LNP, that becomes a failure on Gillard's part. Surely logic would dictate that if LNP members are rorting their expenses, that's a failure of management by the LNP?
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
< 1,905
Did I genuinely hear correctly on the news that the opposition suggested that now that the government has the numbers that they should try and push the Malaysian Solution through?... I feel they may have been taking the piss somewhat
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeeeeeeJ View Post

i'd be forcing as much through in the first few sitting months next year as i could because the opportunity may not be there for too long...
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375

...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,167
he's been on the outer for long enough, if there was real dirt, it would have surfaced by now.

that's not to say the LNP won't railroad as much time in parliament as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Last edited by Bracko: 28-Nov-11 at 11:12am

Abziie +

Times thanked
< 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heist9000 View Post

Did I genuinely hear correctly on the news that the opposition suggested that now that the government has the numbers that they should try and push the Malaysian Solution through?... I feel they may have been taking the piss somewhat

Yes. Push it through the house so they, along with the greens, can get defeated in the senate.
EeeeeeeJ +

Times thanked
< 19
In case you missed the column in the Herald by Terry Barnes, former Howard staffer, contrast these two quotations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austraboy

Watching Pyne bleat on in QT nominating members of the ALP was fairly hilarious... I know QT shouldn't be a farce... but in this instance the farce was quite worthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Barnes

Peter Slipper's defection is actually Gillard's Christmas gift to the Coalition. By maintaining dignity in contrast to Labor's unscrupulousness, and adjusting quickly to its strategic consequences, Abbott can overcome the tactical setback

EeeeeeeJ +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

This is all proceeding on the completely bizarre suggestion that if Slipper rorted his travel expenses while he was a member of the LNP, that becomes a failure on Gillard's part. Surely logic would dictate that if LNP members are rorting their expenses, that's a failure of management by the LNP?

The Liberal Party might be hoping that they can get enough offences or a serious enough offence that it's punishable by a year in prison.

If Slipper were disqualified from Parliament, it's likely that the Liberal Party would win a consequent byelection, bringing the numbers in the House of Representatives back to what they were.
Griggle +

Times thanked
< 1,726
"I'm satisfied (Mr Slipper) has acted within his entitlements. My understanding is that he's acted within his entitlements." Tony Abbott, August 2010
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,167

Quote:

In seducing Slipper at the expense of popular former speaker Harry Jenkins, the Gillard government badly damaged its image of being principled under Abbott's relentless pressure.

bullshit... I think most people would agree that it was cunning and shows the ALP will do what is required to ensure the ongoing stability. sook much, Terry.

Quote:

Cynics may scoff, but those who know Abbott also know that his claim that he would not have done as Gillard did is genuine.

I stopped reading here.... lulz of a serious nature. Are you telling me that Abbott has not been behind the scenes looking for ways to get the 3 independents to cross the floor and support the Libs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513
"Cynics may scoff, but those who know Abbott also know that his claim that he would not have done as Gillard did is genuine".

Err, anyone with a functioning brain would scoff. Remember that this is the same Abbott who welshed on the deal that the Speaker and Deputy Speaker could be paired once he saw that he wasn't going to carry the Independents, and who offered Wilkie a billion dollar bribe for his vote..
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by legal-affairs View Post

"Cynics may scoff, but those who know Abbott also know that his claim that he would not have done as Gillard did is genuine".

its not just cynics who would scoff. When Abbott found out what Slipper had done, he spent the next few hours trying to convince Rob Oakshott to accept his nomination and support to become speaker instead. So he did exactly as Gillard did...except HE FAILED
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375

...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101
The "Peter Slipper...you idiot" thread
The minority government is looking to be on even shakier ground.
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...422-1xeme.html

Gillard must be wetting herself, Slipper on shaky ground, Thomson looking dodgy as well. That majority could be gone pretty soon.

Abbott basically just has to sit around and wait for everyone to do the job for him. As long as the Libs avoid any scandals they'll be fine (a big ask for politicians)
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fewsion View Post

The minority government is looking to be on even shakier ground.

They are back where they where when Harry Jenkins stepped down, althiough with one less number on the Coalition benches and one more on the cross-benches. However, the fact that this has been kicked when it has suggestes that the Coalition is losing hope that Craig Thomson will be forced out of Parliament.

As I read the statement, Slipper is only going to step down until the "criminal allegation" is dealt with, and as I read the "criminal alleagtion", it is that he handed blank Cabcharge dockets to a limousine driver whom Ashby did not believe to be a cab driver. There doesn't seem to be much in that.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101
"Allegations of criminal behaviour [are] grave and should be dealt with in a manner that showed appropriate regard to the integrity of Australia's democratic institutions and to precedent".

But sexual harrassment's all good, I can't defend that one.

Let me back in the speaker's chair.
Chach +

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Times thanked
< 165
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/...-1226335352067
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573
I think the worst thing in this is the terrible spelling and grammar in the text messages. These people are meant to be running the country!!!

The following text message was allegedly sent by Peter Slipper on February 1 to one of his staffers, James Ashby: ''But you're [sic] call and no hard feelings in that you only want businesslike contact. In that event of the difficulty in our personal.''

Alleged response text by Ashby: ''I don't know what type of contact you expect Peter. Perhaps u should define that u would like and I can then be clearer on my position.''

Slipper: ''U want something more? U brillianmt [sic] at massages.''

Advertisement: Story continues below

Ashby: ''No I'm happy the way things are. I care for u Pete but the massage is at far as it goes. Life's a lot more simpler when it's business and a few drinks after work.''

Slipper: ''Oh.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...#ixzz1soe2qT14
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

"Allegations of criminal behaviour [are] grave and should be dealt with in a manner that showed appropriate regard to the integrity of Australia's democratic institutions and to precedent".

But sexual harrassment's all good, I can't defend that one.

Let me back in the speaker's chair.

As Albo has pointed out this morning, if the rule is that defendants in civil proceedings must step aside from their Parliamentary positions, then it would be very easy to wipe out the whole of the Parliament with spurious suits.

No-one suggested that Malcolm Turnbull should have stood aside as Opposition Leader during the period when he was, personally, one of the defendants in a misleading and deceptive conduct claim broguht by the liquidator of HIH.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101
Provided the suits prove to be spurious though right? Or has Albanese tried to steer attention away from what Slipper has actually done it seems?
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Provided the suits prove to be spurious though right? Or has Albanese tried to steer attention away from what Slipper has actually done it seems?

Nobody knows what Slipper has "actually done" except Slipper and Ashby. Not Albo, not you and not me.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101
I believe Albanese was implying that the claims were spurious.

Following his logic, if claims weren't spurious then members of Parliament should step aside if civil proceedings are brought against them.
moojins +

Times thanked
< 225
That is not what he is saying.

It is not immediately obvious if a claim is spurious or not. He is suggesting hedging against such a possibility by having members remain in parliament until claims are verified. Not doing so would incentivise members bringing spurious claims against opposing members for short term tactical advantages of having them out of parliament, a particularly acute threat in a minority government.

Last edited by moojins: 23-Apr-12 at 04:09pm

Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101
I used the word "implying" deliberately. I didn't say Albanese was saying the claims were spurious.

Albanese's hypothetical was a response to what should happen to Slipper. Surely he intended others to make a connection between "spurious claims" in his hypothetical scenario and claims against Slipper. The only other alternative is that he believes that the wiping out of Parliament is possible, but I don't think that was his message.
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 513

Quote:

Albanese's hypothetical was a response to what should happen to Slipper. Surely he intended others to make a connection between "spurious claims" in his hypothetical scenario and claims against Slipper. The only other alternative is that he believes that the wiping out of Parliament is possible, but I don't think that was his message.

At some point you should either (a) stop digging or (b) start digging up.

Albo's point was that where civil proceedings are concerned, consequences should flow from the making of findings by the Court, not the making of the allegation, becaue it is easy to make spurious allegations. If the allegations are found not to be suprious, the n consequences will flow from the finding of the Court.

The SMH has Ashby's application:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...423-1xgk5.html

The so-called breach of contract claim (from which the alleged criminal conduct arises) is very likely an abuse of process - you can't get damages for being "forced" to witness someone sign Cabcharge dockets, so that claim is not an atempt to vindicate Ashby's legal rights and thus not a proper use of Court process.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101
Geez, haven't argued anything to the contrary legal-affairs, all I'm commenting on is how Albanese cleverly deflected valid Coalition criticism of Slipper. That is clear in my last three posts. But thanks for repeatedly explaining it to me, you're a regular Dennis Denuto.
custaro +

Thirsty Critter

Times thanked
< 693
I don't know whether this is hilarious or depressing, or both.

edit: Doesn't want to embed so here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=GFELLK8htKM
you're in my hut now
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101
That's gold. I love the last line "I'm sure she's right". Clarke and Dawe comment is pretty apt
baax +

Times thanked
< 624

Quote:

Originally Posted by custaro View Post

I don't know whether this is hilarious or depressing, or both.

edit: Doesn't want to embed so here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=GFELLK8htKM

He's a worldwide laughing stock.

If Gillard still thinks she can support Slipper regardless of the outcome of anything she has totally lost it.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD

Last edited by baax: 29-Apr-12 at 06:36am

Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,167
It's laughable that he wasn't preped for the interview when it was clearly going to involve questions of that nature. But what else could he say? take an each way bet and hope for the best?

Gillard expected to announce today that she will support slipper staying out of the speaker chair until civil proceedings are complete. Interesting move...

So what's good enough for the opposition leader isn't good enough for the speaker?
baax +

Times thanked
< 624
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...429-1xsiz.html

She's also booting Thompson
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573
Bye bye Thomson! End of a foul little man. Slipper gone too.

Abbott must be looking forward to a few chats in Parliament.
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101
Strange timing to get rid of Thomson isn't it? Having waited so long it would be hard to sell this decision as a "tough choice" given that she had since last September to make the call.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,571

Quote:

Strange timing to get rid of Thomson isn't it? Having waited so long it would be hard to sell this decision as a "tough choice" given that she had since last September to make the call.

They've been screwing things up since 07, why stop now.

oh, and some reports are coming out which bag him.
red is the new blu

« Previous Thread Next Thread »