General

The motorbike thread #2

Tools
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
The 390 wouldn't really fit the bill for a fun sumo. Its awesome fun in the dirt but would be a bit under powered for bitumen shenanigans.

I've always heard that about Honda supersports but never had the chance to ride one so thought it may be different. Not so.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tang_ View Post

The 390 wouldn't really fit the bill for a fun sumo. Its awesome fun in the dirt but would be a bit under powered for bitumen shenanigans.

I've always heard that about Honda supersports but never had the chance to ride one so thought it may be different. Not so.

390cc boring? Change the gearing for road bashing. I've had a drz loaner and that was the most fun I've had on something without tits.

Me thinks you need a super sport. Check out early model ktm rc8's, balls out racer that can be rego'd.. Its the rough nut cousin to the Honda, crude power and if you're ham fisted you're bound to pucker up.
Test ride one and tell me I'm wrong.

As for the Honda, I actually like the ride it gives as its all about the riders input not traction controlled or abs hindering but it does feel rather forgiving.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
Yeah I've been thinking along the lines of supersport for a while, but I also want something thats plain obnoxious like a superduke Problem being I dont want to spend too much cash, looking at about $6k.

I used to have a SM610, it was okay, but Husky build quality and its shitty engine let it down, I'd probably even think about a DRZ if I could get one for the right price, then I could buy Romies spare parts haha.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186

Quote:

Yeah I've been thinking along the lines of supersport for a while, but I also want something thats plain obnoxious like a superduke Problem being I dont want to spend too much cash, looking at about $6k.

I used to have a SM610, it was okay, but Husky build quality and its shitty engine let it down, I'd probably even think about a DRZ if I could get one for the right price, then I could buy Romies spare parts haha.

Super duke, obnoxious? Maybe in styling (lol KW).
Two certain English hooligan's take that crown.. Before purchase, hand you licence in.

Just keep an eye out for bargains mate, project Daytona was a stat write off (thank god I road cert it before the new nsw laws) and I picked it up for 3k..
My new commuter sv for 2.5k with 4k on the dials MINT!
My triple was show room so no savings there.

Just buy Romies off him lol.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
Did you buy the SV from the auctions or what? I can never manage to get a tuesday off to go so its a pain in the ass.

The biggest problem is deciding on what I damn well want. Two big this I want to do this year or next are Phillip Island and The Oxley, plus whatever else I can find on the way down, so would love to have a supersport for them, although The Oxley would be killer fun on a big bore tard.

Two ultimate bikes at the moment would be a gixxer 600 or a FS570/650. Both a bit beyond what I want to spend, although I'm still making a few lowball offers here and there hoping to get lucky. Just not a fan of the trump's, except the 675 of course
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186

Quote:

Did you buy the SV from the auctions or what? I can never manage to get a tuesday off to go so its a pain in the ass.

Nope, bought from a learner who didn't want to learn no more
Bike never left the cul-d-sac that the owner lived in, previous owner was his brother, who put on the 4000 kms.
Spent $80 acquiring the north american ECU and now she's allowed to breath properly. (still lams rego)
Could probably double my money selling it

Quote:

The biggest problem is deciding on what I damn well want.

Quote:

Two ultimate bikes at the moment would be a gixxer 600 or a FS570/650. Both a bit beyond what I want to spend, although I'm still making a few lowball offers here and there hoping to get lucky. Just not a fan of the trump's, except the 675 of course

What year model gixxer? Mate of mine just picked up an 02 for 5k (didn't haggle as the PO was selling up due to needing cash for an operation for his daughter).

Not a fan? Have you test ridden either?
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMGAWA View Post

Jesus, that looks really rough, great design with the key placement!

Not to fond of those tank covers, aesthetically that is, I see how its handy to attach tank bags.

Honestly I'd redo the seat black and get the rear cowl as it's bound to happen again.

I know it's a serious fucking design flaw - very annoying! I might just fill it with blu-tack

I've always really liked the tank covers to be honest; first saw one of a Trumpy Tiger and thought about it since then; plus it's a plastic tank so my tank bag won;t work as its magnetic. I don't trust the magnets either - on the FZ6 the bag came off when I was having a 'spirited' ride in the countryside. It wasn't even stupidly spirited.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186
Did you catch the ebay link on the last page?
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258
Optional
Not really keen on that tail plus that's an R model so it would be a different fitment. That cowl is the cheapest one I found too but I'm pretty sure when I looked at the extra costs (postage and carbon wrapping) it put it >$300. Proper cowls are way higher in price.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258

Quote:

Super duke, obnoxious? Maybe in styling (lol KW).

And I thought you were an alright bloke

As soon as you climb aboard teh SD it makes you physically unable to sit in traffic as one should.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWicked View Post

And I thought you were an alright bloke

As soon as you climb aboard teh SD it makes you physically unable to sit in traffic as one should.

Media Player
COMEATMEBRAH.mp4 - YouTube

KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258
and then BANG

What was the top 'price' on the cash register there? Two Siddy?
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186

[nonincriminatingpost] probably, wasn't my bike, mine's in pieces on the garage floor [/nonincriminatingpost]

No really it is. Lesson learn't, never turbo a bike, its a money pit and the gains are minimal. Parting out and selling.
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752

Quote:

AYyyyeeee

Parts will be going on soon, just need to save some money up and wait for the exhaust to get here.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
had the CBR guy send me a message today asking if I wanted to make an offer on his bike. I think I've talked myself out of it now, although the bargain hunter in me is telling me its a steal!

I spose this conversation means I have to go test a striple then huh?
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186
Yes.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258
You'd be mad not to; of course you would have to offset that with a Super Duke demo
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258

Comfy as fuck
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186
You wanna be buying a nice bike cover for that now..

Ps, Would you be interested in some nice Rizoma mirrors to replace those mongoloid things you have on your handlebars?

These : http://www.rizoma.com/universal/mirrors/circuit743/en

In all black.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186
Pps:

REFLECTORS WTF!
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
Looks good KW! Did you get that seat remoulded to? Im thinking of getting the drz redone as my ass cant take it anymore
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258

Quote:

You wanna be buying a nice bike cover for that now..

Ps, Would you be interested in some nice Rizoma mirrors to replace those mongoloid things you have on your handlebars?

These : http://www.rizoma.com/universal/mirrors/circuit743/en

In all black.

I've got a great cover; it's just when it's outside work that it is all exposed to those nasty elements. I'm hoping to get a new garage this year so overnight it will be properly under cover. I'm not sure if dew would get under the cover? I might well be interested - can you PM me the details and how many of your plastic notes one would be required to exchange? I'm a bit skint at the moment as we just bought a car last month but fingers crossed the old one gets written off due to hail damage on Friday.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258

Quote:

Pps:

REFLECTORS WTF!

I'm sure at some point I must have noticed them and thought to rip them off but until you mentioned it...! Knowing my luck I'll get SMIDSY'd tomorrow when I take them off ha ha.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romie View Post

Looks good KW! Did you get that seat remoulded to? Im thinking of getting the drz redone as my ass cant take it anymore

No it is an actual KTM ergo seat mate; ~$230
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWicked View Post

I'm sure at some point I must have noticed them and thought to rip them off but until you mentioned it...! Knowing my luck I'll get SMIDSY'd tomorrow when I take them off ha ha.

I'd be embarrassed if I heard "sorry mate I didn't see you but I noticed your reflector".

Can you fit the bike cover under the seat all tucked up for work duties?

You have PM
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
Found a really interesting thing to read regarding motorbike theft. So someone on reddit made a thread wanting to ask questions to someone who steals motorbikes for a living and surprisingly an ex-theif ends up responding and replying to users questions.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/..._operator_ama/

Last edited by Romie: 13-May-12 at 12:02pm

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
Ride day organised this sunday at Lakeside on a striple and 675, for free! awww yeah!

In other news, had a decent off yesterday at about 50kph. Hit a rocky section on a firetrail, massive tankslapper and down I go. Bark off all down my left hip and something is fucked in my shoulder. One of the other guys ended up in hospital after eating it and having his bike collect him in the head. Good times!
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
Sucks to hear about your off and hopefully the shoulder is nothing serious, you didnt go to hospital by the sounds of it so thats a good start I think.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romie View Post

Found a really interesting thing to read regarding motorbike theft. So someone on reddit made a thread wanting to ask questions to someone who steals motorbikes for a living and surprisingly an ex-theif ends up responding and replying to users questions.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/..._operator_ama/

Read the whole thing. Fuck me.
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
Check this 2stroke race bike out only a cool 160 000$ usa

"Suter 500 Factory V4: a two-stroke, 500cc, V4, track weapon that puts out over 200 hp and weighs 284 lbs ready to race — no, that is not a typo."

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...00-factory-v4/
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206
I'm considering buying a Vrirago as a learner bike. I just want something fairly comfortable and very cheap to start with. Has anyone owned one of these before?
EAD
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186
A virago is what you described and then some.

Haven't owned one but they get a good wrap for learner cruisers.
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186
Romie, that two smoker sounds and looks like a beast
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
The virago looks good the only thing I would be concerned about is being really slow but most of the time a slow bike is still fast when compared to most cars. Had a quick look on google and according to http://www.productreview.com.au/p/yamaha-virago.html it fits your needs autumn acid.

Found some videos of a guy that turbo'd a aprilia svx550

Media Player
Aprilia sxv 550 turbo - YouTube

Media Player
sxv 550 turbo - YouTube

Last edited by Romie: 15-May-12 at 11:28am

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
I love his riding attire!

That reddit thread is pretty interdasting too! Kinda got sick of how many time people asked the same question though, so many cool questions to be asked though. Reminds me of the Ask/Tell forum on SA.

Last edited by Tang_: 15-May-12 at 04:15pm

sonicc +

>O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK >O__/ QuACK

Times thanked
< 3,319
I hope this hasn't been posted before. Crazy Russians

Media Player
Yamaha R1 :: Сатона вселился в байкера!!! :: Москва - YouTube
Cats are not actually smaller than horses, they are just further away - ITM PROVERB
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
^ Seen it plenty of times before. Guy definitely has a death wish though, at the end hes splitting stop start traffic going at least 80kph. No way you can stop if someone changes lanes in front of you, and you couldnt really be sure, especially if the Russians indicate like Australians do (ie. Dont indicate intention, indicate action)
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258
My Gf drove past the scene last night of this accident - http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ri...516-1ypng.html

Over two hours later and the poor dude wa still lying their covered up
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186
Bit concerned as to why that officer was harping on about why motorcyclists should "slow down".
Dude on the F4 must of been hammering, biddy and giddy didnt see him and pulled a u turn..

In NSW you cannot legally U-turn on major roads, just something to think about.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258

Quote:

Bit concerned as to why that officer was harping on about why motorcyclists should "slow down".
Dude on the F4 must of been hammering, biddy and giddy didnt see him and pulled a u turn..

In NSW you cannot legally U-turn on major roads, just something to think about.

It's an odd one for sure. Three lane highway which you are allowed to chuck u-eys on and some areas specifically for U-turns. He may have been belting it in the fast lane and as you say they have just spun in front of him without seeing him. The CRV certainly looks to be in the median strip lane.

Pretty fucking irritating of them though to "implore" that 'bikes slow down when it is yet to be proven he was speeding - why not implore cars to watch where the fuck they are turning etc! That road is an 80km zone. I'm shocked at how littel damage the bike and car seem to have taken to put it on its side.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
Looking on street view the bike could easily have been hidden behind trees when they pulled out. At the speed limit the rider still wouldn't have stood much chance. What a sad way to go

Got the call from Team Homo today, I was 200 people too late in booking the Speed Trip, in return they are going to hook me up with an 'extended demo'. Whatever that means. Pity though, I would have loved a fang around Lakeside on someone elses bike!
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186

Quote:

in return they are going to hook me up with an 'extended demo'. Whatever that means.

In my experience that means a weekend of thrash.

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
Nice, but I've probably gotta wait for 200 other cunce to do the same so I'll get my turn in 4 years time.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258
ANY NEWS TANG?

Anywhey, nowt like a bit of diesel on teh road to get the blood pumping on a Monday morning.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
haha, well I was meant to have that demo today. I was still feeling the effects of saturday night so canned it.

Kinda off the idea atm as I just smashed my credit card paying for the next Japow installment, and also covering a mates share till tax time. Still keeping an eye out around the place though. A cheap 690SMC or FS570 would be a cracker!

No drops from the diesel i hope!
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258
http://www.japowtours.com/ ??

Nah managed to right it but it was pretty fucking close! Sideways slide at full throttle about 2m after pulling out onto a 3 lane 80km road as someone crossed into my lane. Fair fucking brought back some tram line flashbacks!!
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
hahah wow. I only ever had one of those moments on the road and it was doing about 120 in the middle of a corner. Luckily no one about but I think I rode below the speed limit most of the way home! Gotta be much worse with traffic about!

That tour company looks awesome, it definitely sounds like a good mountain to check out. Headed to Niseko again sans family. Should be a hoot. How's that back holding up?
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,186
Stepping the rear out unintentionally is the worst, no matter the situation.

I remember my worst, had an early (like 5am) start for a ride day, roads were still slick from the rain the night previous. Feeling a bit hazy and totally ham fisted through a round about, the back wheel spun up and slid towards the car in the next lane before nearly bucking me off into a highside.

It woke me up.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,258
haha a healthy bolt of adrenaline sure beats a double shot coffee! It's been fucking cold down here - may actually have to step up to the winter gloves but they always piss me off as you lose so much tactile response.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789

????????????

« Previous Thread Next Thread »